PDA

View Full Version : The Ordinary Adventurer

Frosty
09-17-2007, 21:23
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Liteshoe's book, "The Ordinary Adventurer," and am limiting myself to a few pages a night because I don't want it to end.

I enjoy books and journals that talk about the day-to-day logistics of hiking, and I enjoy books and journals that relate the author's personal experiences and how they felt about what was going on. I like to read about people and places along trails, and I like to read about how people were personally affected by their hikes.

So when I get hold of a book that does all four, I really don't want to rush through it.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about long distance hikes. If you don't want to buy it for the above reasons, you need to find out the first thing you should do when caught by a thunderstorm on an exposed ridge. (The answer is on Page 95, and no, I won't spoil your fun by revealing it here.)

I don't know if it is on Amazon, but you can buy the book at:

http://www.funfreedom.com/

Roland
09-17-2007, 21:26
I second Frosty's recommendation.

I purchased a copy from Jan, for my wife's birthday, in mid August. As soon as she finished the book, I snagged it.

It's a great read.

Hikerhead
09-17-2007, 21:29
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Liteshoe's book, "The Ordinary Adventurer," and am limiting myself to a few pages a night because I don't want it to end.

I enjoy books and journals that talk about the day-to-day logistics of hiking, and I enjoy books and journals that relate the author's personal experiences and how they felt about what was going on. I like to read about people and places along trails, and I like to read about how people were personally affected by their hikes.

So when I get hold of a book that does all four, I really don't want to rush through it.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read about long distance hikes. If you don't want to buy it for the above reasons, you need to find out the first thing you should do when caught by a thunderstorm on an exposed ridge. (The answer is on Page 95, and no, I won't spoil your fun by revealing it here.)

Now how big of a check is she going to write out to you for all those nice words? :)

Seriously, I've heard it was a good read.

Marta
09-17-2007, 21:30

You heard right. It is a good read.

TJ aka Teej
09-17-2007, 21:58
I was hoping Liteshoe would write a book way back when she started journaling on the web - it sure was worth the wait!

Footslogger
09-17-2007, 22:28
[quote=Frosty;408826]I'm about two-thirds of the way through Liteshoe's book, "The Ordinary Adventurer," and am limiting myself to a few pages a night because I don't want it to end.

======================================

...and here I thought I was the only one who read books that way.

'Slogger

gold bond
09-18-2007, 10:33
I thought it was a great read! I coulnd't put it down...finished it in about three days!

gold bond
09-18-2007, 10:34
I didn't git ane betr at spelin frum readin it ether!!

Jan LiteShoe
09-18-2007, 10:35
Now how big of a check is she going to write out to you for all those nice words? :)

Why, however big a check he wants me to write, of course.

What, and have it clear too? :)

Thanks, all. I must say, it's a huge kick to hear of your reading pleasure.
Cheese all around.

Frosty
09-18-2007, 11:41
If she writes another book based on her 2003 Pack31 hike, we'll call it even :D

kofritz
09-18-2007, 12:36
a local newspaper reported a book by Ed Garvey called the "Applachian Hiker". i look forward to reading both.

shoe
09-18-2007, 23:52
I have the book on order and am looking forward to reading it while I soak up the sun on my mini vacation in Orlando next week.

Skidsteer
09-19-2007, 00:20
I'm about 1/3 through it and an savoring it. Great read!

Jan, I love the phrase," Young and cartilagenous" by the way. I plan to steal it often. :)

Smile
09-19-2007, 01:05
Jan, can I get a book directly from you?

Marta
09-19-2007, 06:23
Smile--If you order the book online, you will be getting it directly from Jan. There's a link on the homepage of TJ.

Smile
09-19-2007, 09:21
Nice. I'd want a signed copy :)

Jan LiteShoe
09-20-2007, 15:44

Hi,
It's yours.
All copies ordered though my website are signed.
http://www.funfreedom.com
And, thanks!
Jan

Outlaw
09-20-2007, 16:31

Not only did Jan sign mine, but she also put in a very nice inscription in it. Thanks Jan. ;)

Awol2003
09-20-2007, 17:25

[/QUOTE]
Yes, buy Jan's book, and you will be happy that you did! Buy directly from her website; you'll get it signed AND it is a better deal for her.

DON'T BUY FROM AMAZON 'cause they take most of the money.

Second-best choice (as with most hiking books) would be to buy from ATC, since your purchase would help to fund that organization. Jan's book is not in the ATC catalog yet, but you might help to get it there by calling and asking them for it: ((304) 535-6331)

superman
09-20-2007, 19:05
Hi,
It's yours.
http://www.funfreedom.com
And, thanks!
Jan

This is the best way to buy it. Pat and I will be going over to hike in the Smuggler's Notch area of the LT for three days. Jan's book will be the entertainment as we drive and in camp.

Hikerhead
09-20-2007, 22:08
Jan, will you be selling your book at The Gathering? If so, I'll buy one from you there.

Jan LiteShoe
09-21-2007, 16:22
Jan, will you be selling your book at The Gathering? If so, I'll buy one from you there.

Yes, I will; There will be vendors in the Ballroom.
I will be there,

And, for the second year in a row - free hugs too.
:)

Blue Jay
09-21-2007, 23:49
Jan is not a good writer, she is a great writer. Most AT books read like field guides (not that I don't like field guides). Jan's book is filled with pieces that really seem to place you on the trail hiking with all its moments joys and pain, laughter and irritations. More than any other AT book I've read and I try to read them all, I believe that Jan's book has the potential to draw more people into Long Distance Hiking as (and I hate to mention it) A Walk in the Woods. If you have family who do not understand hiking or you are trying to lure someone into backpaking, give them this book. :welcome

Minerva
11-26-2007, 17:58
Over the weekend the Winter 2007 Issue of the Long Trail News (GMC's quarterly newsletter) arrived in my mailbox. On page 22 there's an impressive review of Jan's book, The Ordinary Adventurer.

Quoting Ben Rose, Executive Director of the GMC: "In this reviewer's opinion, it among the best, most readable Long Trail narratives of recent decades."

Wow Jan, you were reviewed by the top dog and passed with flying colors!

This book would make a lovely gift for your favorite hiker.:sun
www.funfreedom.com

MrsGorp

Marta
11-26-2007, 19:31
This book would make a lovely gift for your favorite hiker.:sun
www.funfreedom.com (http://www.funfreedom.com)

MrsGorp

Or a great gift for non-hikers who might like to know what inspires/compels hikers to hike.

I've got a little list...:D

Ewker
12-11-2007, 16:27
I have been meaning to post on here about Jan's book. It got me interested in hiking the LT since that is more doable right now than the AT. Thanks Jan for making the book really interesting. You did a great job
I agree with the others who said it would make a great gift :sun

sonic
12-12-2007, 10:24
I think I'm getting this for Christmas. :banana

Ewker
12-13-2007, 17:13
go for it, you won't be sorry

maxNcathy
12-13-2007, 17:30
Why, however big a check he wants me to write, of course.

What, and have it clear too? :)

Thanks, all. I must say, it's a huge kick to hear of your reading pleasure.
Cheese all around.

Jan, You are funny. I am rereading your journal.
Now, tonight, my wife will buy your (signed) book for me for Christmas.
Keep well,
Sandalwood

Jan LiteShoe
12-13-2007, 17:38
Jan, You are funny. I am rereading your journal.
Now, tonight, my wife will go to Amazon and buy your book for me for Christmas.
Keep well,
Sandalwood

Hey all,

Thanks for the buzz, kind words.
Sandalwood, the book won't be on Amazon until early next year.
For now, the best place to order is: http://www.funFreedom.com
and it will be signed.
Act surprised!
I can probably still get it to you by Christmas, they go out media mail unless someone asks for a special arrangement.

The Green Mountain Club is another place to order, but for the moment, they are out. AmicalolaState Park is another outlet.

I'm glad my whacko sense of play translates. Thank my most excellent editor Nina/Waterfall for that!

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all the above. Thank you.

Jan LiteShoe
12-13-2007, 17:40
I think I'm getting this for Christmas. :banana

Oh? What is your "real" name?

Jan LiteShoe
12-13-2007, 17:46
Hey all,

Thanks for the buzz, kind words.
Sandalwood, the book won't be on Amazon until early next year.
and it will be signed.
Act surprised!
I can probably still get it to you by Christmas, they go out media mail unless someone asks for a special arrangement.

The Green Mountain Club is another place to order, but for the moment, they are out. Amicalola State Park is another outlet.

Oh, and Winton at Mountain Crossings in Georgia, in stock.

Hikerhead
12-13-2007, 21:36
It's better to get it in person. That way you get it signed and a hug. Good book.

sonic
12-14-2007, 00:18
Oh? What is your "real" name?
Joyce, Judy may have ordered it?!?!!?

jamarshall
12-14-2007, 15:25
I got my signed copy at the Gathering. Great read - now I have yet another trail on my to-do list.

Make sure you check out the trail journals referenced in the back of the book for more interesting reading about the LT.

JERMM
12-14-2007, 17:00
I've enjoyed the book too. I met Liteshoe on a trail a couple of weeks ago, I just happen to have the book with me. Jan was gracious enough to sign it for me, her first trail side book signing.

maxNcathy
12-14-2007, 17:10
I ordered Jan's book today and she already posted it. Now that is service.

Cathy and i will read it then let friends read it..I hope to get more friends into hiking and backpacking ie going south with me each spring to hike 6 weeks on the AT.

It feels good to support an author I "know".

Order your copy today.

Sandalwood

maxNcathy
12-14-2007, 17:12
It's better to get it in person. That way you get it signed and a hug. Good book.

When I get to meet her I will ask for a hug! haha

Jan LiteShoe
12-14-2007, 22:28
Make sure you check out the trail journals referenced in the back of the book for more interesting reading about the LT.

I'm glad folks are checking out the GMC website, and also Clyde's "version" of the LT.
The man is emminently quotable and has more "Clyde-isms" than Chuck Norris. :D

tallfran
12-16-2007, 02:58
I agree, it is a great read! I was lucky enough to get it at the Christmas gift exchange in Franklin at Ronnie Haven's shindig. I knew it was among the gifts, and was what I really wanted, but Miss Janet had disguised it well enough that I had no idea what it was until I opened the package.

I, too, am re-reading Jan's trailjournal from her AT hike. I read it before my hike in 2006, but had forgotten a lot of it, so it's like I'm reading it for the first time. That's a good thing about memory loss!

Mountain Maiden
12-16-2007, 10:06
For those of us who want the entire package (HUG, AUTOGRAPH and THE BOOK), are you bringing copies to the SORUCK?

I certainly hope so---I am going to put aside some cold winter days just for the occasion to read it.

Love and Hugs,

S:sun

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 00:50
My oldest daughter asked me what I'd like for Christmas, and this book was on my list. She got it from Jan, who graciously autographed it! I just finished it today.

This book is the best or among the best books I've read about backpacking! At first, I dismissed getting it as it as "only" about the Long Trail, not about the AT, but a couple of reviews on here gave me second thoughts. I'm glad they did!

Jan is a great writer. She's able to include daily details without getting pedantic, because she includes so much about the more important, non-detail aspects of hiking. I loved her observations about hiking, human nature, and her own self-awareness, without getting maudlin.

If she were to write about her AT thru-hike, I'd snatch that book up immediately. As it is, I'm proud to have "The Ordinary Adventurer" on my bookshelf.

Rain:sunMan

Jan LiteShoe
01-01-2008, 10:53
Sunny, I don't know how I missed your comment, but yes, I will be at The SoRuck, if the tires stay round and the crick don't rise. I'll have books, and hugs too.

Rainman, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, your daughter was delightful. I tried to write the backpacking book I wanted to read before hiking the AT, so your words lift the heart.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.
And, HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2008 will have to be a good 'un to top '07.

MOWGLI
01-01-2008, 11:15
I just started the book and am really enjoying it. Here I am this morning, in my easy chair with my buddy Chuka - the traumatized cat. He has had a couple of close calls with coyotes recently, and he has elected (on his own) to become an indoor cat!

Smile
01-01-2008, 11:17
Looking forward to buying a copy there :)

Trillium
01-01-2008, 13:21
Looking forward to buying a copy there :)Me, too! :sun

Ewker
01-01-2008, 13:49
I have the book and it is great. I am just looking for my hug or two or three :D

Rain Man
01-01-2008, 14:05
Rain Man, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, your daughter was delightful. I tried to write the backpacking book I wanted to read before hiking the AT, so your words lift the heart.

I'd say you succeeded, Jan! Glad to lift a heart, any time. By the way, my credits also to your editors. I found no typos, grammar goofs, or syntax slips!

And yes, I'll probably keep that daughter, too. I need to get her out on the AT, though we did hike to the Charit Creek Lodge in the Big South Fork last week, on an annual family outing.

Roots
01-01-2008, 14:09
I planned on getting one at the ruck for me and the hubby. Then I told my sister about it and she wants me to pick her up one too. Can't wait to get started reading. :)

Waterfall
01-13-2008, 16:00
Just noticed a very nice review of Jan Leitschuh's The Ordinary Adventurer, written by Jeffrey Hunter on "The Vista: An American Hiking Society Blog (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/)." Here's a brief quote:

"Beyond the mental aspect, Jan's description of the Vermont woods brought me right back to the Green Mountain State; a place that I truly love to hike. The paper birch, the mushrooms and the rushing streams along with the fragrant smell of Balsam Fir. I also thoroughly enjoyed Jan's treatment of the unique fellowship that forms out on the trail. It's all there! Both the outer journey, and the all important inner journey."

Read more of the review here (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/065259.html).

:clapKudos to LiteShoe!

rafe
01-13-2008, 16:06
Just noticed a very nice review of Jan Leitschuh's The Ordinary Adventurer, written by Jeffrey Hunter on "The Vista: An American Hiking Society Blog (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/)."

It (the review) was an inside job. :D :sun

But well-deserved, nonetheless.

Jan LiteShoe
01-13-2008, 16:07
Just noticed a very nice review of Jan Leitschuh's The Ordinary Adventurer, written by Jeffrey Hunter on "The Vista: An American Hiking Society Blog (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/)." Here's a brief quote:

"Beyond the mental aspect, Jan's description of the Vermont woods brought me right back to the Green Mountain State; a place that I truly love to hike. The paper birch, the mushrooms and the rushing streams along with the fragrant smell of Balsam Fir. I also thoroughly enjoyed Jan's treatment of the unique fellowship that forms out on the trail. It's all there! Both the outer journey, and the all important inner journey."

Read more of the review here (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/065259.html).

:clapKudos to LiteShoe!

Thanks for finding and posting that, Nina. And those kudos go to you too, for the excellent and thorough editing work you undertook to make me look good.

Mowgli was very kind.
I saw his review last week, but with the Emerson search, and the subsequent murder, did not feel like throwing it out there at the time.

Thanks for putting it on here.

Trillium
01-13-2008, 17:50
Hi Jan,

I just checked out the website and see that the book is $17.95. If we buy them at the Ruck and are out-of-state residents, will we be charged the 6.5% sales tax since we're purchasing them in NC?

Jan LiteShoe
05-09-2008, 18:44
Hey friends!

I just got word today! Please help me celebrate.

My one-and-only book "The Ordinary Adventurer" (Jerelyn Press) is a national semi-finalist for an IPPY Award!
That is, the 12th Annual Independent Publisher Book Awards.(2008).

This year's awards announcement event in Los Angeles during BookExpo is set for Friday, May 29th, with the presentation ceremony at City Club on Bunker Hill in the Wells Fargo Building, downtown Los Angeles.

I don't believe I will be there unless they strongly hint that I come. ;-) In any case, the gold, silver and bronze medalists will be chosen from the six "semi-finalists and announced May 21st.

The book made it into the final cut for the "Travel Essay" category. Given the preponderance of university presses (Yale?!, so I wasn't anticipating much action.

I'm also waiting for word on the status of "The Ordinary Adventurer" in the Regional" Book category, where I originally thought it would catch some interest, due to the heavy weighting of university publishing in the Open categories.
The finalists for the regionals have yet to be decided, so I'm hoping for a two-fer.
Hey, a gal can dream!
;-)

It's been a long, long road, but I'm glad I went ahead and did it.

Best,
Jan

Cookerhiker
05-09-2008, 18:49
Congrats! It's gratifying that they recognize great literature when they see it.:D

StarLyte
05-09-2008, 18:49
Celebrate? How about some thunder and lightening - are you kidding?

Congratulations Jan - how exciting - you certainly deserve it.

Jan LiteShoe
05-09-2008, 18:52
Celebrate? How about some thunder and lightening - are you kidding?

Congratulations Jan - how exciting - you certainly deserve it.

Hey Marsha, thanks, babe! Thunder it is! Lightning all around.
I sent you a private notice, but it came back. Is the adelphia address a goner? Send me an email.

Marta
05-09-2008, 19:03
Congratulations, lady! I've got my fingers crossed for the final selection!

Blue Jay
05-09-2008, 19:03
I'm certainly not surprised. It's a flat out, great book.

Jan LiteShoe
05-09-2008, 19:04
Congratulations, lady! I've got my fingers crossed for the final selection!

Thank you! I cc'ed you on the original note, but I guess you're not at pocketmail any more, ha ha! (True story, fast fingers.).
:D

camojack
05-09-2008, 19:22
Hey friends!
I just got word today! Please help me celebrate.
My one-and-only book "The Ordinary Adventurer" (Jerelyn Press) is a national semi-finalist for an IPPY Award!
That is, the 12th Annual Independent Publisher Book Awards.(2008).
This year's awards announcement event in Los Angeles during BookExpo is set for Friday, May 29th, with the presentation ceremony at City Club on Bunker Hill in the Wells Fargo Building, downtown Los Angeles.
I don't believe I will be there unless they strongly hint that I come. ;-) In any case, the gold, silver and bronze medalists will be chosen from the six "semi-finalists and announced May 21st.
The book made it into the final cut for the "Travel Essay" category. Given the preponderance of university presses (Yale?!, so I wasn't anticipating much action.
I'm also waiting for word on the status of "The Ordinary Adventurer" in the Regional" Book category, where I originally thought it would catch some interest, due to the heavy weighting of university publishing in the Open categories.
The finalists for the regionals have yet to be decided, so I'm hoping for a two-fer.
Hey, a gal can dream!
;-)
It's been a long, long road, but I'm glad I went ahead and did it.
Best,
Jan
How cool is that? FWIW, your book is next up in my reading queue... :)

Rain Man
05-09-2008, 20:24
CONGRATS on being a national semi-finalist for an IPPY Award!

WOW!!!

Keep us posted.

rcli4
05-09-2008, 20:25
Congrats! It's gratifying that they recognize great literature when they see it.:D

It is all in the selection of hiking partners :>))

Congratulations:D:D:D

Clyde

Waterfall
05-09-2008, 20:57
It is all in the selection of hiking partners :>))

Clyde

And gud editers. :)

I hope you win a medal ... but I wonder, would it weigh too much to wear on future hikes?:D

Jan LiteShoe
05-09-2008, 21:34
And gud editers. :)

I hope you win a medal ... but I wonder, would it weigh too much to wear on future hikes?:D

The BEST of editors - and goat-cheese-fearing hiking partners!

As for the medal, no worries - I'm sure it's chocolate.
:banana

Frosty
05-09-2008, 21:40
(Y)IPPY!!!

Loved the trail journal, loved the book. Absolutely.

Congratulations.

Lilred
05-09-2008, 22:36
Jan, that's Fantastic News!!! But I'm not surprised. You do good work :) you deserve it. Congrats!!

Jaybird62
05-09-2008, 22:38
I just ordered my book tonight, and am looking forward to reading it!!! Congratulations on your nomination- that is great!!!

sheepdog
05-10-2008, 05:51
Great news, great book. Even my wife who is not a hiker loved it. Congratulations
sheepdog

Just Jack
05-10-2008, 11:46
Hey Jan---Did I just read that you are getting a yappy award.
Congratulations.....You go girl---you rock!!!
See you at TD.

Cookerhiker
05-29-2008, 12:43
From the Green Mountain Club's website (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=131): Jan's book earned her a bronze medal. Sorry Jan, that's bronze, not chocolate!:)

Now Jan: I just received my Long Trail News today (no on-line version available) and it listed the 2007 Long Trail end-to-enders including Quoddy, CuppaJoe, Northern Harrier, and me - perhaps some other WBers too. But it also listed you as having finished the LT in 2007. Did you sneak in a thruhike after the LT Festival?;) Or did the GMC wait until your book was out to give you credit.

MOWGLI
05-29-2008, 13:46
Congrats Jan! The award is well deserved!

peanuts
05-29-2008, 13:50
whooooo hoooooo!!! you go girl!!!!!!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_133.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_116.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

Jan LiteShoe
05-29-2008, 13:59
From the Green Mountain Club's website (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=131): Jan's book earned her a bronze medal. Sorry Jan, that's bronze, not chocolate!:)

Now Jan: I just received my Long Trail News today (no on-line version available) and it listed the 2007 Long Trail end-to-enders including Quoddy, CuppaJoe, Northern Harrier, and me - perhaps some other WBers too. But it also listed you as having finished the LT in 2007. Did you sneak in a thruhike after the LT Festival?;) Or did the GMC wait until your book was out to give you credit.

Cooker,
You have GOOD eyes!

I just got word last Friday "The Ordinary Adventure" had gotten a medal. I told GMC and other suppliers, and some sharp gal in their office had it on the website in seconds flat.
I love the GMC!
:sun
And 2007 - alas, no extra thruhike, though I did stand atop Mansfield again in 2007 - taking the car up the toll road, as I had vowed to do in my book. Ha!

Actually, 2007 was the year I finally got around to ordering my patch. Procrastination is my middle name! If you recall, you had to write an essay of your trip, to demonstrate that you'd actualy walked the thing. Lazy thing that I am, I just waited till I had a book to submit.

There's more news. It's been a good month. I'm getting married the end of June. Some of you know Dr. Feek, my sweetheart of four years, from the soRuck. He's a good 'un. A fellow lover of mountains and green things. With a cabin near Greyson Highlands, it was love at first sight.
:banana

Red Hat
05-29-2008, 16:04
With a cabin near Greyson Highlands, it was love at first sight.

Wow, no wonder you fell for him! Happy for you both. Hope you're as lucky with him as I am with mine!

rhjanes
05-29-2008, 16:10
double congrats!

Cookerhiker
05-29-2008, 16:25
double congrats!Yes, double congrats! Dr. Feek is a lucky guy.

Jan LiteShoe
05-29-2008, 16:28
Yes, double congrats! Dr. Feek is a lucky guy.

Yes, he is!
;)

But then, so am I.
:sun

rcli4
05-29-2008, 18:57
:D:D:DHell, I'd marry him for a cabin in the highlands:D:D:D

Clyde

Jan LiteShoe
05-29-2008, 19:55
:D:D:DHell, I'd marry him for a cabin in the highlands:D:D:D

Clyde

Sorry, MAF Man, (or whoever you become),

You're not his type.

Have you found your very own thread yet?

rafe
05-29-2008, 20:03
Woo-hoo, Jan! A well-deserved mazel tov! You know I loved your book, but you wrote it way too late -- causing me to suffer thru all those hoary journals from Rodale Press. You can write circles around Ed Garvey's best. :D

Marta
05-29-2008, 20:03
Re: Dr. Feek's cabin

My daughter and I contend that there is no situation in life that can't be summarized with a quotation from Pride and Prejudice. Your quotation is...

Jane: "Will you tell me how long you have loved him?"

Elizabeth: "It has been coming on so gradually, that I hardly know when it began. But I believe I must date it from my first seeing his beautiful grounds at Pemberley."

Waterfall
05-29-2008, 22:29
Hiking posts, Jane Austen quotes, and good friends winning medals and getting married ... doesn't get much better than this!

Congrats again and again and again to Lite Shoe and Dr. Feek!!

Jan LiteShoe
11-08-2013, 00:40
and it will be signed.
The Green Mountain Club is another place to order, but for the moment, they are out.

Hi there,
Sorry to jump on an old thread, but I've been getting some inquiries about Christmas orders for this book from folks looking to hike the Long Trail next year, since I no longer maintain the www.funfreedom.com (http://www.funfreedom.com) website, and Amazon lists it new for the bargain price of $1,239.13
(I kid you not - check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Adventurer-Vermonts-Adventurers-Musings/dp/0979708109/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383885226&sr=1-1&keywords=the+ordinary+adventurer) :-)

Best bets for getting hold of the book are either on Awol's website:
http://www.jerelyn.com/

or from the Green Mountain Club website:
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/product_detail.php?sku=7081

And hey, it's well under 20 bucks, so I'd say you'd be getting an appreciation on your investment. ;-)
Happy trails!

Cookerhiker
11-08-2013, 08:20
For those new WBers who may not be familiar with Jan's book, it's wonderful! Definitely a worthwhile read. And while women in particular will gain a lot of insight on how a novice female hiker undertook a challenging hike in the Green Mountains, the guys will also like it.

SouthMark
11-08-2013, 09:27
For those new WBers who may not be familiar with Jan's book, it's wonderful! Definitely a worthwhile read. And while women in particular will gain a lot of insight on how a novice female hiker undertook a challenging hike in the Green Mountains, the guys will also like it.

Definitely one of my favorite books. We'll written, and very inspiring!