PDA

View Full Version : 2007 - 2008 Winter Hike

Cosmic Crusader
09-17-2007, 23:14
Heading North Nov /??/07 for winter Thru Hike

Could use any "help" about known late season drop locations or supply points. I am experienced winter hiker, backpacker and have been thru some nasty spots, thats why I do it.

If you want to correct me that a Thru Hike starting in Nov is not a true thru hike save your time If I cared about that I would have ask for advice on how to phrase my hike.

I have all my gear and know how to use it.

Would like to finish by April 1st

Lone Wolf
09-17-2007, 23:17
sounds like you need no advice. venture on. the AT ain't wilderness

warraghiyagey
09-17-2007, 23:46
Enjoy your hike. Met a couple of NOBOs in Maine 1st week of June who had started in November and December. Good folks with great stories.
Open hostels might be less prevalent but I believe most POs and towns don't shut down during the offseason so supply points should be identical.
Grab a guidebook of your choice and have a great time.

The Solemates
09-18-2007, 18:23
sounds like fun. have a blast...

Roland
09-18-2007, 20:26
~
Could use any "help" about known late season drop locations or supply points. ~
Would like to finish by April 1st

Hikers Paradise, in Gorham, is open year round. The Barn is not.

The PO, of course, will accept drops, year round.

Long term resupply is available year round.

simplespirit
09-21-2007, 07:48
Aren't the trails in Baxter State Park closed in April? How are you going to finish if you can't summit Katahdin? Just curious.

rubyvermonter
09-21-2007, 09:59
I would like to backpack a section from 12/23 - 12/30. Over the past several years I've sectioned from Caratunk, ME to the Delaware Water Gap. I'm interested in hiking between about Maryland to about the Shenandoah National Park, although I'm flexible. (I've narrowed my plan down to this area, hoping that the weather would be the most mild at the lower elevations). I sent out an e-mail on 9/18 to the hiker hook-up thread and haven't received any interest yet. Are you interested in having company?

Rubyvermonter

Cosmic Crusader
09-22-2007, 09:21
Aren't the trails in Baxter State Park closed in April? How are you going to finish if you can't summit Katahdin? Just curious.

I will be finishing the Trail prob at the end of April - if Baxter is still closed when I arrive I will plan a return trip at the end of winter/snow season. My concern would be much greater to help preserve the mountain and what its caretakers decide is in its best interest than some "non-stop" hike idea.
:sun

Cosmic Crusader
09-22-2007, 09:34
I would like to backpack a section from 12/23 - 12/30. Over the past several years I've sectioned from Caratunk, ME to the Delaware Water Gap. I'm interested in hiking between about Maryland to about the Shenandoah National Park, although I'm flexible. (I've narrowed my plan down to this area, hoping that the weather would be the most mild at the lower elevations). I sent out an e-mail on 9/18 to the hiker hook-up thread and haven't received any interest yet. Are you interested in having company?

Rubyvermonter

I may well be off the trail during this time for holiday with my family. I do live in this general area, and may be able to either join or assist you if you are able to do this section. It is nice in the winter and with the ground you have covered it should be both relaxing and enjoyable. This section of the trail is full of history, both on trail and off. If you enjoy such thing make sure to spend some time in HF, and enjoy winter in SNP, it is much better on the trails in the winter - little traffic and next to no hikers, but beware most of the stores and shops are closed in SNP for the winter, and the park will close down in a hurry if storms damage or make the roads unsafe. This is not a huge prob unless you need to get out fast or are planning pickup/dropoff in park. The park rangers are still around and can and will help if needed.

rubyvermonter
09-22-2007, 22:50
Thanks for the reply. I've done almost all of my section backpacking trips solo, but I don't want to plan to go solo in the winter. So if you would like to be on the trail for some of that time, let's continue to talk about the possibility. I'm from central Vermont and I generally cross country ski in the winter. I'm prepared for winter conditions, but I'm concerned there won't be others on the trail and for safety reasons don't want to head out alone.

rafe
09-22-2007, 23:10
I've done almost all of my section backpacking trips solo, but I don't want to plan to go solo in the winter.

Wise decision, IMO. Mess up, and they'll (maybe) find your decomposed body in May or June.

warraghiyagey
09-23-2007, 01:19
Wise decision, IMO. Mess up, and they'll (maybe) find your decomposed body in May or June.

OR devoured in January.:rolleyes:

Cosmic Crusader
09-30-2007, 08:25
Due to a very ill family member I will hike SB from the edge of Baxter State Park.

rubyvermonter
09-30-2007, 17:26
Terrapin and Warraghiyagey -- Thanks for the humor!
Cosmic Crusader -- Sorry about the illness in your family. Have you decided to begin southbound from Maine in November? I've spent a fair amount of time in the White Mountains, living in nearby Vermont. If that is indeed your plan, be sure to pay attention to weather conditions. Mt. Washington is known to have the worst weather in the northeast.
Rubyvermonter

Cosmic Crusader
10-01-2007, 16:25
SB hike -
Yeah I know about the Whites -
Made my way thru the Great Gulf on the side of Washington and ended up on the ridge for a night mid Dec few years back. I wanted to see if it was as bad as they said - it was a night to take account of that is for sure. The walls of my Tent were alive as they held back the constant 50 + mph winds and I had to make dinner quick and eat it before it froze, the temps in my tent allowed me only minutes with gloves off. I had to make it a shorth night, so after a quick look at the maps I drifted off into a sleep that one only has after a day of hiking thru the frigid cold to the top of a mountain.
The next morning I was reminded why I did it as I hiked over the summit and started back down. The view was the best- blowing snow and clouds blocked all but the next 15 - 20 ft. Each step I took carried me into deeper snow and I knew it would not be easy till I got to where the Cross Country Ski trails were groomed and clear, by early evening I was drinking a nice cold beer in Jackson, and saying yeah its as bad as they say I guess.

Cookerhiker
10-01-2007, 17:38
.....enjoy winter in SNP, it is much better on the trails in the winter - little traffic and next to no hikers, but beware most of the stores and shops are closed in SNP for the winter, and the park will close down in a hurry if storms damage or make the roads unsafe. This is not a huge prob unless you need to get out fast or are planning pickup/dropoff in park. The park rangers are still around and can and will help if needed.

It's not "most' of the stores & shops, it's all of the stores & shops are closed in winter unless SNP receives a large budget infusion this year. So the irony is that while in all other seasons, Skyline Drive and the establishments make SNP one of the most accessible stretches of the AT, in winter it's one of the least accessible. Some of the side trails lead to civilization but often more than a day's hike. You can figure that at least for most of the winter, Skyline Drive will be closed except maybe for Thornton Gap to Big Meadows.

But the Park can be spectacular in winter. I hiked there for 3 days/2 nights February of last year. Snow had closed Skyline Drive but we parked by the Swift Run entrance station and hiked south. The contrast between the bustling warm-weather season vs. the winter stillness was striking.

Cosmic Crusader
10-01-2007, 19:46
My mistake about the stores, Big Meadows store used to be open pretty late into the season. But like Cookerhiker states the contrast up there is the cake, and the grades in SNP are slight so its a quick hike for most. Front Royal is an easy in - busy road - but stores right at edge of town, KFC and all the others as well if you want a high cal lunch. PS there are several pay phones scattered thru the park at the closed places - if you need to get out in an emergency.