PDA

View Full Version : Water sources MD section

GitRdone
09-18-2007, 03:17
Just checking to see if anyone knows the current water conditions on the Pen Mar Park to Harper's Ferry section. I'll be on that section this weekend.

vanwag
09-18-2007, 12:28
You won't cross lots of natural water in Md, but at about the 1/2 way point of your hike there's a hand pump well right in front of the Ranger's House in Washington Monument State Park... you'll walk right by it. If that's not functioning, there's another well a few 100 ft south next to the maintenance shack. Check out the hawkwatch at the top of the monument... you'll be there during prime Broad-Winged hawk migration!

Another ~10 miles and your at Gathland State Park with more water (spigot I believe) + soda machines.

Good luck!

Lauriep
09-24-2007, 09:46
Here are some updates on water sources in southern PA and MD (listed north to south), from the Potomac A.T. Club ridgerunner supervisor, Chris Firme:

Deer Lick shelter (PA) down to a trickle barely flowing. Southbounders should get water at Old Forge picnic area just in case

Ensign Phillip Cowell shelter (MD) water very dirty, not flowing out
Pogo campsite (MD) spring excellent shape
Annapolis Rocks (MD) spring excellent shape
Rocky Run (MD) no shelter, spring excellent shape
Crampton Gap shelter (MD) no water, get water at Gathland State park

Laurie Potteiger
ATC Information Services Manager
[email protected]
Harpers Ferry, WV

rafe
09-24-2007, 13:16
You can count on water at the rest rooms and water fountain at the "old" Washington Monument, and at Dahlgren Campground. Also, you can count on good beer and good food at the South Mountain Inn, right next to Dahlgren. ;)

rafe
09-24-2007, 16:40
Here are some updates on water sources in southern PA and MD (listed north to south), from the Potomac A.T. Club ridgerunner supervisor, Chris Firme:

Ensign Phillip Cowell shelter (MD) water very dirty, not flowing out..

<snip>

FWIW, I have to put in a good word for the Free State Hiker (http://www.freestatehiker.com/) hostel, which is just down the road (0.3 mile) from this shelter. Ken and Janelle Berry have really done a beautiful job with this hostel. It's gorgeous.