PDA

View Full Version : Bobblets Gap Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
11-08-2003, 14:56
Ate lunch here on a cool, windy afternoon, but the location down in the gap cut much of the wind. Basic 6-person design with uncovered picnic table and fireplace. Spring is down the hill behind the shelter and was not flowing well in October 2003.

Shelter located 0.2 miles downhill of AT on switchbacks. Only moderate sunlight.

Mountain Dog
07-14-2008, 17:52
This site has very little camping and, believe it or not, no hammock hanging places unless you want a lot of brush under you on a steep hill. The water was OK as of 10 July 2008. The water is a creek with a small concrete dam which forms a small pool. I had to dip water because it was too shallow to put a bottle under.

rafe
07-14-2008, 18:00
FWIW, the creek in front of the shelter was almost completely dry last September -- even though it had been raining hard for a few hours prior to my arrival. I managed to get a couple of quarts out of a shallow, murky pool.

Mountain Dog
07-14-2008, 18:02
This site has the best privy on the AT. It is handicapped accessible, large, plexi glas roof, and someone had left paper towels. It is a pretty rough trail down and back to the AT.

jimmyjam
09-24-2013, 10:22
I stopped there in September and thought it was a dark creepy little shelter. It is .2 mile off the trail down in a ravine. The creek was pretty much dried up except for some puddles below the privy. I moved on and found found a couple of nice sites about a hundred yards or so south.

HikerMom58
09-24-2013, 18:23
I stopped there in September and thought it was a dark creepy little shelter. It is .2 mile off the trail down in a ravine. The creek was pretty much dried up except for some puddles below the privy. I moved on and found found a couple of nice sites about a hundred yards or so south.

Humm.... another place that could use some water... I'll see what can be done about that. Thanks for the info JJ.

goody5534
04-22-2014, 12:03
26807On my section hike I stayed here on 4/14/14. Nice Privy, Good Water, and great place to watch a "full moon" rise...

Studlintsean
12-16-2015, 14:33
Anyone stayed here recently and able to report on the water situation? Thanks in advance.

Stepinwolfe
12-17-2015, 09:12
Stayed there Sept 2015. Agree with comments of others. Would avoid this shelter, if possible. "Spring" was a mud puddle that required a straw or shallow cup/spoon to extract water. Shelter is undersized. Very little room for tenting. No place to hang food.

Majortrauma
12-17-2015, 09:52
I stayed there Dec of this year. Small shelter yes, very little room for tenting yes but no complaints about the water. Small stream had ample water for my group but it had rained recently. Shelter is directly below and easily accessible form the BRP so it would be easy to stash some water somewhere if water is your concern.

Studlintsean
12-18-2015, 00:06
Thanks for the information from both of you. Is there enough room for two tents in the area? I will be hiking with a dog so I don't want to rely on the shelter.

Pastor Bryon
12-21-2015, 18:35
What size tents? My recollection is that there isn't a lot of usable ground space for tents. A couple of 2 person tents you might be okay, but much bigger and you might have to get creative or uncomfortable to make it work.

Studlintsean
12-21-2015, 19:43
A duomid and a Zpacks Hexamid. Worst case we can hike past and camp somewhere else. Thanks for the info