PDA

View Full Version : Is Yogi-ing Bad?

The Weasel
09-18-2007, 12:38
Past threads have had some fairly vehement debate about hiker behavior, with at least some criticism of hikers seeking "freebies." On the other end of the spectrum, unsolicited "trail magic" generally gets approval, although sometimes the details are criticised.

In between, it seems to me, is the tradition of "yogi-ing," which for lack of a better definition (anyone who can do better, please do!) I'll refer to as "allowing someone else to realize you'd like something they have, especially some of that cherry pie, and yes, I'd love another cheeseburger."

I was a little surprised in the other threads to see no comments about it. Is Yogi-ing a thing of the past, or should it be?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2007, 12:40
i remember once asking a lady in a winnebago in shenandoah park if i could buy a coupla slices of bread. out came the feed bag.

mrc237
09-18-2007, 12:43
My guess is todays hikers lack the humility it takes to do a proper yogi. Looking pathetic and walking over to a picnicing group with a dime and asking with the dime in hand: Can I but a piece of bread? Ya need to be good hiker trash to do that.

The Weasel
09-18-2007, 12:43
Past threads have had some fairly vehement debate about hiker behavior, with at least some criticism of hikers seeking "freebies." On the other end of the spectrum, unsolicited "trail magic" generally gets approval, although sometimes the details are criticised.

In between, it seems to me, is the tradition of "yogi-ing," which for lack of a better definition (anyone who can do better, please do!) I'll refer to as "allowing someone else to realize you'd like something they have, especially some of that cherry pie, and yes, I'd love another cheeseburger."

I was a little surprised in the other threads to see no comments about it. Is Yogi-ing a thing of the past, or should it be?

mrc237
09-18-2007, 12:44
Ya beat me to it LW!

Marta
09-18-2007, 12:47
Here's a yogi-ing story (it's down in the last half of the page):

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=164065

Marta/Five-Leaf

Creek Dancer
09-18-2007, 12:56
Ahhhhh.....great story Marta! I enjoyed reading your journal last year. Definately one of the most interesting journals I have ever read.

Marta
09-18-2007, 13:05
Thanks, CD!

the goat
09-18-2007, 13:05
the best yogi'ing is done w/o actually asking for anything.

Krewzer
09-18-2007, 17:46
Geez Weez...how did you get from "Is Yogi-ing History" to "Is Yogi-ing Bad" in such short order?

Either way, you've got to be kidding me. A poll about Yogi-ing? Sorry, but no can do, my values won't allow it.

First of all, you can't directly ask about "Yogi-ing" or it's not "Yogi-ing." It's begging. And, if you're begging information and a thru-hiker, you're just another homeless Fox News reporter and a burden on society. Get a job.

"Your poll is mute." Any information gathered from it is invalid and anyone participating in it dismissed as unreliable. Only non-information from persons not discussing Yogi-ing, but discussing various off topic subjects not concerning Yogi-ing polled on another subject, can be considered usable and trustworthy. This is a rare instance where thread drift is a good thing and you should encourage it in your threads.

But since it's you, I know you won't quit until somebody tells you something anyway; and, I think you might be able to get me out of jail for mooning in YellowStone someday, I'll put a few cautious words down to be added to the archives so they may be used against me at a later date.

OK Dino, Que up the "sensitive subject" music and put some shoplifted popcorn in your neighbor's microwave.

It's OK to do it to adults, but not when children are around. I wouldn't want my daughter to do it, but look forward to my son getting his first free chicken leg. It's not OK between consenting adults (violates the prime directive, that party of second part hasn't a clue what's being done by the party of the first part.) Underage Yogi-ing is encouraged and should be a part of No Child Right Behind.

I remember the first time I Yogied. We were HOT!!! It was SWEET!!! It didn't last near long enough and I enjoyed it more than my Yogi-ette. But I got better as smiles and miles passed. Now, at the risk of bragging, my Yogi-ies always enjoy and will often call and send Christmas cards.

If I'm not Yogi-ed or Yogi-ing on a regular basis, I get edgey and spend way too much time on those Yogi Gone Wild internet websites.

Go Hike Weezey. Enjoy. "To Yogi or not Yogi?", is not the question. It's an observation and part of one's technique.

Reword your thread, and poll a third time to "Do the traditions of AT Thru-hikers make you happy?" Hope to see you at the Gathering.

The Weasel
09-18-2007, 17:50
***But since it's you, I know you won't quit until somebody tells you something anyway; and, I think you might be able to get me out of jail for mooning in YellowStone someday, I'll put a few cautious words down to be added to the archives so they may be used against me at a later date.

OK Dino, Que up the "sensitive subject" music and put some shoplifted popcorn in your neighbor's microwave.

*** Hope to see you the Gathering.

Thanks for letting me know I finally was able to scare someone into a coherent response. That's a beaut. :banana

TW

Jester2000
09-20-2007, 01:01

If you have to ask, it's not a yogi.

Jim Adams
09-20-2007, 02:06
If ESPN can consider poker a sport then it is definitely a fine sport to yogi. To yogi correctly takes talent and you DO NOT ask! The key is to get anything that you want by having it offered to you.

Reminds me of the true definition of Diplomacy: The ability to tell someone to go to hell and by the time that you are done, they are looking forward to the trip.

geek

Phoenix Rising
09-20-2007, 02:51
The best yogi-ing I ever saw came from a conversation about the “art” of yogi-ing between two thru hikers. And in the end the “professional” got an ice-cream cone out of it. It was impressive and done true to style, he never asked or begged…

weary
09-20-2007, 10:06
True. I was sitting on a rock, somewhat forlorn near a tourist parking lot when a woman stopped to ask what I was doing. After a bit of talk, she said "let me bow to you!" Which she did. Three times. And then she handed me a full box of oreo cookies.

Weary

Speer Carrier
09-20-2007, 10:59
Maybe it's just me, but I see no difference between the hiker who yogis, and the guy at the intersection with a sign that says "homeless and hungry"

When I hike, I go prepared with all the food I'll need for the hike. To me accepting a handout is tantamount to saying, "I'm not prepared, so I'll let you bail me out."

Maybe it's a self respect thing.

JAK
09-20-2007, 13:06
I'm just going to start answering these polls in the worst possible way. :)

5. I only Yogi to see what they've got for me to come back and steal!

Lilred
09-20-2007, 18:15
Maybe it's just me, but I see no difference between the hiker who yogis, and the guy at the intersection with a sign that says "homeless and hungry"

When I hike, I go prepared with all the food I'll need for the hike. To me accepting a handout is tantamount to saying, "I'm not prepared, so I'll let you bail me out."

It is just you. The guy on the corner is blatantly begging. A true yogi doesn't even hint at what he wants. A true yogi won't even bring it up in conversation. A true yogi will let the other person do most of the talking and just wait till an offer is made. Insinuating that anyone who yogi's has no self respect, and that is what you did, is both insulting and rude. Perhaps you just don't have the talent for it. Since you liken it to beggng, you obviously don't know what yogiing is.

I remember my only yogi with fondness. I was on top of Max Patch, and there were lots of people out that day picnicing. I decided to stop and have lunch, and picked a spot near a family with a huge picnic basket, blankets laid out, coolers, the whole nine yards. We talked about the weather and the beauty and my section hike. I ate my bagel and peanut butter, and as they were packing up to leave, they decided to unload their extra uneaten food on me. Ham sandwiches, oreo cookies, ice cold cokes, potato salad, pickles. Even set me up with paper plates and napkins. Nice folks. I felt good getting some excellent food in my belly, and they felt good about helping someone out. THAT is a true yogi, when the people giving feel good about doing so. OH, and btw, my self respect remained intact.

Jester2000
09-20-2007, 18:24

Or maybe it's a freshly made cheeseburger thing after a week of eating Lipton noodles.

Speer Carrier
09-20-2007, 21:06
Lired, I know what yogi-ing is. If you see it as a nobel undertaking you ought to keep doing it, and I have no problem with that. As for me, however, I regard the offer of free food as an insult to my self respect. I'm not destitute, and I can afford to feed myself, and I know how much food to take when I'm hiking.

In addition, I don't accept rides into town unless the person offering will accept money in return.

I just don't see myself, or any other hiker as special people that have to be taken care of.

Maybe the guy at the intersection is a bad example. Even though the ones I've seen pretty much just announce they are homeless and hungry and don't actually ask for food. They just sort of look forlorned and hope that someone might take pity on them and give them some money for food or drink.

When I heard Model T explain at a gathering how "the fine art of yogi-ing is done", he pretty much described the actions of the guy at the intersection.

And Jester2000, I agree, after a week of eating trail food, a cheeseburger is like heaven, and if someone were offering to sell one to me I'd take it.

I guess my point is I don't, under any circumstance take anything without paying for it.

Just a Hiker
09-20-2007, 21:14
Lired, I know what yogi-ing is. If you see it as a nobel undertaking you ought to keep doing it, and I have no problem with that. As for me, however, I regard the offer of free food as an insult to my self respect. I'm not destitute, and I can afford to feed myself, and I know how much food to take when I'm hiking.

In addition, I don't accept rides into town unless the person offering will accept money in return.

I just don't see myself, or any other hiker as special people that have to be taken care of.

Maybe the guy at the intersection is a bad example. Even though the ones I've seen pretty much just announce they are homeless and hungry and don't actually ask for food. They just sort of look forlorned and hope that someone might take pity on them and give them some money for food or drink.

When I heard Model T explain at a gathering how "the fine art of yogi-ing is done", he pretty much described the actions of the guy at the intersection.

And Jester2000, I agree, after a week of eating trail food, a cheeseburger is like heaven, and if someone were offering to sell one to me I'd take it.

I guess my point is I don't, under any circumstance take anything without paying for it.

Hike Your Own Hike!

Jim

Krewzer
09-20-2007, 22:12
I regard the offer of free food as an insult to my self respect. I'm not destitute, and I can afford to feed myself, and I know how much food to take when I'm hiking.

How's Christmas at your house? :p........So I guess you wouldn't offer a ride or food to a hiker for the same good reasons, as you never really know if you're being yogi-ed or not.

Days get long on a 5 or 6 month Thru-hike and there ain't much TV out there. Thru-hikers have invented their own entertainments, including games. Yogi-ing is one of them. Few miss the good natured humor in it. Play if you like, or not.

Jester2000
09-20-2007, 22:38
In addition, I don't accept rides into town unless the person offering will accept money in return. . .

. . .And Jester2000, I agree, after a week of eating trail food, a cheeseburger is like heaven, and if someone were offering to sell one to me I'd take it.

So if you were at trail days, and a gear rep offered you a free sticker, for which there is no price, you wouldn't take it if you wanted it? Do you demand that God charge you for the heat you get from the sun?

Listen, I guess whatever you want to do is whatever you want to do, but just to give you another angle from which to look at things --

The act of giving is at the same time the act of receiving. When I've driven down the road, seen a hiker walking, and offered a ride, it wasn't because I thought they were special, or that they weren't prepared, or that they even needed me to do it.

I offered the ride because it was a nice thing to do. You know, a nice thing to do, free of charge. That still happens in this world. Rarely, but occasionally. And what do you give by accepting that ride without insisting on paying for it?

You give me the feeling that I've done a nice thing. You give me the feeling that we've connected in a way that didn't involve an exchange of money. You've allowed me to help. Giving isn't a selfless act. I enjoy helping someone, especially if it's someone I don't know. In this day and age of suspicion, the opportunity to do that is rare, and I savor every opportunity.

Much more than I'd savor the money I got by charging someone for one of my cheeseburgers.

Life doesn't have to be an exchange of commodities. Seriously.

Lilred
09-20-2007, 23:35

First, there is nothing noble about yogiing or even hiking for that matter. Don't put words in my posts. And I'm so pleased that you have no problem with my yogiing, gee thanks.
Secondly, I don't see myself as special because I hike and I certainly don't feel like I need to be taken care of. I also carry enough food and money on me to take care of all of my needs while on the trail. I don't need to yogi, and I've only done it once, just to see if I could.
Thirdly, if I were to offer a ride or a cheeseburger to a hiker and they offered me money, I would refuse it. If they refused my gift because they couldn't pay for it, I would one, think they were crazy, and two, think they had some serious issues where money is concerned.
Lastly, I think your insinuations that hikers that yogi are begging, not prepared, and have no self respect are way off base. I'm sorry if accepting a gift from strangers makes you feel that way, how sad for you.

warraghiyagey
09-21-2007, 01:25
Yogiing, like other vices may be OK in certain situations but not as a life style - or hiker style. If you're doing that from end to end on the trail it's probably indicative of other things that will make you less comfortable to hike the trail with.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 01:30

Speer ---

While I agree that those who can afford to do things should not sponge off others, I think there is a difference here: Much like in Buddhism, where well off people take a time to serve as monks, to learn (among other things) the beauty of humility, there is a certain goodness to allowing others to perform acts of kindness and grace, not out of obligation, and perhaps not even out of a desire to do a good thing, but just as an act of friendliness. I think that's the essence of Yogi-ing: To help others feel their own goodness by performingg an unnecessary, but good act.

There are many ways to look at this: I walk into a church, and see a collection plate sitting on a table by the door; I leave something. The Scout Slogan: "Do a Good Turn Daily." The Jewish concept of a 'mitzvah.' Jesus saying, "Love one another." Or just plain Zen. By telling someone, "You can't do anything for me unless I give you money," you're denying many the real compensation that many of us look for in life: A smile from a new friend, a feeling that we have done something, not for gain, not even for reciprocation, but simply to do a good thing.

The Weasel

Ron Haven
09-21-2007, 01:40
It is just you. The guy on the corner is blatantly begging. A true yogi doesn't even hint at what he wants. A true yogi won't even bring it up in conversation. A true yogi will let the other person do most of the talking and just wait till an offer is made. Insinuating that anyone who yogi's has no self respect, and that is what you did, is both insulting and rude. Perhaps you just don't have the talent for it. Since you liken it to beggng, you obviously don't know what yogiing is.

I remember my only yogi with fondness. I was on top of Max Patch, and there were lots of people out that day picnicing. I decided to stop and have lunch, and picked a spot near a family with a huge picnic basket, blankets laid out, coolers, the whole nine yards. We talked about the weather and the beauty and my section hike. I ate my bagel and peanut butter, and as they were packing up to leave, they decided to unload their extra uneaten food on me. Ham sandwiches, oreo cookies, ice cold cokes, potato salad, pickles. Even set me up with paper plates and napkins. Nice folks. I felt good getting some excellent food in my belly, and they felt good about helping someone out. THAT is a true yogi, when the people giving feel good about doing so. OH, and btw, my self respect remained intact.Hi LittleRed is yogi-ing without hiking funny?

As you know in the south people put a slice of fat pork in green beans for flavoring.there was a poor family ask a farmer to borrow a slice of fat meat to season and cook their beans for supper.The Farmer said sure and at noon cut a slice of fat meat for the beggers and went to their house at 5pm.He says"did you cook your beans"?
The beggers replied yes.The Farmer replied"great,I came to get my slice of meat back". :(

Heater
09-21-2007, 02:56
Why are your polls always public?

Heater
09-21-2007, 03:05

I thought that was the whole idea.
If you ask, it is bumming... If not it is a legit yogi.

:-?

Jim Adams
09-21-2007, 09:11
The Weasel,
#26...Nice post!

geek

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 09:21
I remember my only yogi with fondness. I was on top of Max Patch, and there were lots of people out that day picnicing. I decided to stop and have lunch, and picked a spot near a family with a huge picnic basket, blankets laid out, coolers, the whole nine yards. We talked about the weather and the beauty and my section hike. I ate my bagel and peanut butter, and as they were packing up to leave, they decided to unload their extra uneaten food on me. Ham sandwiches, oreo cookies, ice cold cokes, potato salad, pickles. Even set me up with paper plates and napkins. Nice folks. I felt good getting some excellent food in my belly, and they felt good about helping someone out. THAT is a true yogi, when the people giving feel good about doing so. OH, and btw, my self respect remained intact.

that wasn't a yogi. that was folks just giving you leftovers. a yogi would be you seeing all that chow spread out and in your mind you would love to have some. so you sit nearby and pull out a granola bar and start up a conversation about hiking and then tell them you need to get to hot springs to resupply your food cuz you're low. even though you're not. next thing you know they're offering you everthing. you decline once, they offer again and you dig in

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 09:23
the toughest yogi is at a "thru-hikers only" feed. section hikers are looked down on

Pacific Tortuga
09-21-2007, 09:38
the toughest yogi is at a "thru-hikers only" feed. section hikers are looked down on

Are the section hikers hungry are just wanting to feel apart of the thru-hiker atmosphere ? To thru is a dream of many and to hear the stories can be cool at times. Hiker feeds are fun if you can hold your consumtion ?

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 09:42
Are the section hikers hungry are just wanting to feel apart of the thru-hiker atmosphere ? To thru is a dream of many and to hear the stories can be cool at times.

nobody is a thru-hiker til you've done the whole trail. if you start at springer intending to go to katahdin and i start at spinger and intend to go to erwin, there's no difference in us if we come upon a feed. it's usually pack sniffers doing the feeds

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 09:54
Speer ---

While I agree that those who can afford to do things should not sponge off others, I think there is a difference here: Much like in Buddhism, where well off people take a time to serve as monks, to learn (among other things) the beauty of humility, there is a certain goodness to allowing others to perform acts of kindness and grace, not out of obligation, and perhaps not even out of a desire to do a good thing, but just as an act of friendliness. I think that's the essence of Yogi-ing: To help others feel their own goodness by performingg an unnecessary, but good act.

There are many ways to look at this: I walk into a church, and see a collection plate sitting on a table by the door; I leave something. The Scout Slogan: "Do a Good Turn Daily." The Jewish concept of a 'mitzvah.' Jesus saying, "Love one another." Or just plain Zen. By telling someone, "You can't do anything for me unless I give you money," you're denying many the real compensation that many of us look for in life: A smile from a new friend, a feeling that we have done something, not for gain, not even for reciprocation, but simply to do a good thing.

The Weasel
_________

Weasel,

I agree with your points. But here's another of my views. While I don't question the motivation of those providing food for hikers, or their generosity, or their sincerity, or their compassion; and I respect the notion of allowing people to do a good deed, I think their actions are misdirected.

I would encourage anyone who has the time, the money and the compassion to provide food for others, to provide it for those who are truely needy, and not non-needy hikers who just happen to look needy after being in the woods for a while.

For me, I want these acts of kindness to be a two way street. I'll recognize the kindness, and accept the kindness, if they in return will respect my need to pay my own way.

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 10:19
Speer ---

The Weasel
_________

Weasel,

I agree with your points. But here's another of my views. While I don't question the motivation of those providing food for hikers, or their generosity, or their sincerity, or their compassion; and I respect the notion of allowing people to do a good deed, I think their actions are misdirected.

I would encourage anyone who has the time, the money and the compassion to provide food for others, to provide it for those who are truely needy, and not non-needy hikers who just happen to look needy after being in the woods for a while.

For me, I want these acts of kindness to be a two way street. I'll recognize the kindness, and accept the kindness, if they in return will respect my need to pay my own way.

So, when I'm finishing up a section I SHOULDN'T hand the rest of my food bag to hikers that are continuing? Should I box it up and send it to Katrina? I'm confused.

Johnny

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 11:05
Katrina is a hurricane, and doesn't eat food. But seriouly, I see no reason not to give your unused food to someone else. My only point is, that if you offered it to me, I would only accept it if you let me pay you for it, or at least make a contribution to your favorite charity in return. It's just my personal credo. I take nothing that I have not earned. I don't expect anyone else to buy that creed.

Smile
09-21-2007, 11:19

I'm with the goat. :)
This is ZenYogy-ing

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 11:24
Speer:

Let me try to put this more philosophically: Are you religious, at all? If yes, do you believe you have God's love? Did you "earn" it? Or if you aren't, did you "earn" your parents' love (and I certainly hope you got all there was for them to give).

I respect your credo, and admire that you have one strongly felt. But perhaps you don't mean it as strictly as you say; we each receive much each day that we don't deserve, or earn, but that makes our life wonderful. Have you "earned" the beauty of the Earth? Have you fully paid for it, or can you? Possibly no to either question.

Perhaps Yogi-ing is something we all do, without realizing it, and maybe you and I could agree that the way to "pay" for what someone gives you for free is to do the same kind of goodnesses to others when the occasion appears. ("Yeah, dammnit, Johnny, you got a whole BAG of Oreos from that family back there? Gimme some!!!! [Sounds of scuffling.] Thanks.")

Peace.

The Weasel

Mags
09-21-2007, 11:54
Who woulda thunk that the simple act of receiving a cheeseburger would be cause for an in-depth Internet discussion. :-?

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 11:56
Seriously, I've seen threads about how to tie your shoes.

Anyone ever read the "Better Butter Battle"?

Johnny

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 11:58
Weasel,

You're getting way to deep for me. I guess there all sorts of things that one is given but not earned. And, I guess there all kinds of ways of making repayment for things that are given. I'm not smart enough to consider them all.

Smile
09-21-2007, 12:03
Do you need to Yogi to be a thru-hiker?

:)

Just a Hiker
09-21-2007, 12:14
Speer ---

The Weasel
________

Weasel,

I predict the Whiteblaze "Thread of the Year" when/if Speer Carrier attempts a thru-hike. It will be called....."Has Anybody seen Minnesota Speer Carrier" :eek:

I am sorry, I couldn't resist!

Just Jim

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 12:19
Lilred,

I love it when you talk dirty

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 12:20
Just a Hiker,

What an insult to Minnesota Smith

Just a Hiker
09-21-2007, 12:25
Just a Hiker,

LOL!! I am sorry Speer Carrier....I couldn't help it. :banana

Sly
09-21-2007, 12:34
But seriouly, I see no reason not to give your unused food to someone else. My only point is, that if you offered it to me, I would only accept it if you let me pay you for it, or at least make a contribution to your favorite charity in return.

The typical offer to yogi is loose change.

For example, upon approaching a BBQ, "Hi, I'm hiking the AT and haven't had a cheeseburger in weeks, think I could buy one" as you pull out a quarter. Ninetynine times out of a 100, it won't cost you anything. :banana

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 13:03
Who woulda thunk that the simple act of receiving a cheeseburger would be cause for an in-depth Internet discussion. :-?

I think it's deeper than a cheeseburger (mmmm....cheeeeessseburger.....mmmm).

"How should hikers behave?" is a topic on several threads, and Yogi-ing can look like begging to some. Some criticise it fairly strongly, others love it. I'm interested (and maybe others are too) in whether people thing it's "good" or "bad" and then why they think so.

TW

Sly
09-21-2007, 13:06
Some things are neither good nor bad, they just are.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 13:26
Some things are neither good nor bad, they just are.

“Nothing in the world, indeed nothing even outside the world can be considered good without limitation except a good will.” That's Immanuel Kant, from a couple centuries back, but I learned it a long time ago and have felt it true, which is why Speer and I actually are pretty close in what we think: He doesn't feel that it's possible to Yogi without being a freeloader, which isn't an act of "good intention for the benefit of all in the world," which is really what Kant's "good will" means. I think Yogi-ing can be a good thing that way. And you don't think it's something to think on (not a slam...my way of characterising "they just are"). Three interesting viewpoints on Yogi-ing.

TW

Mags
09-21-2007, 13:38

Something is deep on this thread and it ain't no cheeseburger. :p

Sly
09-21-2007, 13:49
Something is deep on this thread and it ain't no cheeseburger. :p

heh, heh...

Speer Carrier
09-21-2007, 13:54
Mags,

You have spoken the truest truism on this thread. I was begining to think no one could recognize b.s. when they saw it.

Lilred
09-21-2007, 17:36
that wasn't a yogi. that was folks just giving you leftovers. a yogi would be you seeing all that chow spread out and in your mind you would love to have some. so you sit nearby and pull out a granola bar and start up a conversation about hiking and then tell them you need to get to hot springs to resupply your food cuz you're low. even though you're not. next thing you know they're offering you everthing. you decline once, they offer again and you dig in

Actually Wolf, that is what I did, sat nearby and started up a conversation. Didn't talk about resupply, but did decline once, and they offered again, with insistance. With each offer, I would beg off,,, "are you sure? don't want to take your food" I'd say. They practically shoved it on me. It was really too easy.

That's the only time I tried it. Would I try it again? Sure, if the situation was right. It's not something I would rely on by any means and I don't suggest that one should try to yogi their way up the trail, but once in awhile, it can by a fun challenge.

Jim Adams
09-21-2007, 17:45
Again....yogi-ing is a sport!

geek

Lilred
09-21-2007, 17:52

"How should hikers behave?" is a topic on several threads, and Yogi-ing can look like begging to some. Some criticise it fairly strongly, others love it. I'm interested (and maybe others are too) in whether people thing it's "good" or "bad" and then why they think so.

TW

Weasel, I think it's both good and bad. It's good when it's done right, meaning the people offering feel good about, not pressured into, what they are giving.

I remember when I left the trail in Bland. I had gotten my mail drop, but decided to end my hike a week early. There were some guys a few doors down from me that had just gotten to town, and when they saw my maildrop, they mentioned how they had to go resupply. I gave them most of my mail drop and all my fuel. Was I yogi'd, maybe, but I sure felt good about being able to help out some tired, wet hikers.

Had they said something like "You're getting off the trail? boy I sure could use some fuel and food if you can part with it", I still would have given it to them, but I wouldn't have felt nearly as good about it.

I guess the best Yogi, is when the people giving think it's their idea.

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 17:57
Mags,

You have spoken the truest truism on this thread. I was begining to think no one could recognize b.s. when they saw it.

If b.s. stands for "burger sizzling," I can definitely recognize it when I see it. But usually I know beforehand from the smell.

I suppose the personal view I offered on how I feel when I get an opportunity to give, and why that's a valuable thing, can be considered bull**** by some.

And I suppose that someone directing me to help others less fortunate without knowing what else I do at home or what organizations I support as well could consider themselves something other than presumptuous.

ed bell
09-21-2007, 18:11
I guess the best Yogi, is when the people giving think it's their idea.Thats one of the best ways I've heard it described.:)

Mags
09-21-2007, 18:43
I suppose the personal view I offered on how I feel when I get an opportunity to give, and why that's a valuable thing, can be considered bull**** by some.

No. A multi-page thread about a simple act of kindness (both pros and cons) is the BS.

Sometimes a cheeseburger is a cheeseburger.

But I'm a simple minded guy..so whaddaIknow?

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 19:13
No. A multi-page thread about a simple act of kindness (both pros and cons) is the BS.

I pity you, Mags. Yes, sometimes a cigar may just be a cigar (although never again will that be true to Bill Clinton), but a cheeseburger (mmmmmm....cheeseburrrrrrger.....mmmmmmm) could never be just a cheeseburger (mmmmmmm...cheeeeeeeeeseburrrrrrger.......mmmmmm).

You are so wrong. But we like you anyway.

TW

Marta
09-21-2007, 19:15
Sometimes yogi-ing is just making a connection with a person who is in a position to do something for you. Being friendly helps them overcome their fear of you as a stranger, so they can help you out. And they feel better about themselves for having done it.

For example...earlier this summer Recess and I were on a weekend hike. We didn't make it back to the car by a reasonable time on Sunday afternoon. If we walked all the way, we'd both be very late getting to our respective homes, and have a hard time being daisy-fresh at our respecitve jobs Monday morning. We hung around in Indian Grave Gap, trying to hitch to Erwin, without success, for half and hour or so.

A hiking couple, who had a car parked in the gap, finished their hike and were getting ready to drive back to Erwin. They were a little taken aback by having two women hanging around, trying to hitch a ride. We made them nervous. So I chatted them up, explaining where we'd been hiking over the weekend, and that we needed to get back to Erwin sooner than we could walk there, etc. I never asked for a ride, but I did let them know we needed the ride from someone. They offered; we accepted; and they said that they enjoyed meeting us and having a chance to talk to us.

Do I consider myself a parasite upon society? No. Yogi-ing is different than mooching. Yogi-ing is fun and leaves both parties feeling good. Mooching may be satisfying for the taker, but leaves the giver feeling abused.

Brrrb Oregon
09-21-2007, 19:37

Someone has a problem with the kindness? There is a "don't feed the bears" contingent?

I'd answer the question this way: do you ever, later on down the line, when you have more than you need yourself, pass on the kindnesses that you obviously-but-not-openly solicited and enjoyed but didn't need? Do you ever pack a little more of your goodies than you'll need, in the certainty that you will have an opportunity to make someone else's day? Or do you only pull out the Snickers when there is no one standing around who doesn't already have their own candy bar out of its wrapper? Do you ignore yogis when you're the one with a little green in your wallet?

Figuring out ways to be selfish without having to admit it is a pretty sad use of an able-bodied life. Playing a well-received game of "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine, too" is not. If you "run a yogi" and find a kindred bear, then have at the cheeseburger with a good appetite, because it will be you next time (or somewhere down the line when you actually have money).

I think that successful yogis should admit to their "victims" what they've been doing, and give them a chance to get off the hook. Otherwise, yeah, it is just mooching. That is just me, though.

Having said that, if you're hungry and don't have any money, well, you do what you have to do, preferably short of theft, if you can. You shouldn't plan on doing it, but if you find yourself in that position, there is no sin in that. In that case, being a yogi is a rather civilized way to beg, because the people who can't help you don't have to admit up front that they can't help you. If you get REALLY hungry, though, it isn't necessary to be so subtle. There are people who need to just come out an ask. If so, ask. Pride can be taken too far.

weary
09-21-2007, 19:45
...I see no reason not to give your unused food to someone else. My only point is, that if you offered it to me, I would only accept it if you let me pay you for it, or at least make a contribution to your favorite charity in return. It's just my personal credo. I take nothing that I have not earned. I don't expect anyone else to buy that creed.
Come on speer carrier. When a woman is so excited at meeting a real live thru hiker who is even older than she is, which suggests to her that perhaps, maybe, she can do the same, shall I refuse her box of oreos and destroy her moment. How cruel do you want us to be?

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 19:54
Come on speer carrier. When a woman is so excited at meeting a real live thru hiker who is even older than she is, which suggests to her that perhaps, maybe, she to can do the same, shall I refuse her box of oreols and destroy her moment. How cruel do you want us to be?

VERY cruel: Fix the old crone (yeah, she's younger than us, but we're old so she must be too) with a steely glare borne of courageous hiking (kinda like WF's look, OK?) and, in your best Billy Bob Thornton voice (Tommy Jones' would be too sympathetic) drawl at her, "Babe, don't need what you got, not now, not ever." Then swagger off to the sound of her hysterical wailing, knowing you got the power of righeousness!!! AMEN!!!

PS: Do NOT think of the oreos for the next 722 miles. DO NOT THINK OF THE OREOS. DAMMIT!!! I TOLD YOU, FORGET THE STUPID COOKIES? OK?

The Weasel

weary
09-21-2007, 20:00
VERY cruel: Fix the old crone (yeah, she's younger than us, but we're old so she must be too) with a steely glare borne of courageous hiking (kinda like WF's look, OK?) and, in your best Billy Bob Thornton voice (Tommy Jones' would be too sympathetic) drawl at her, "Babe, don't need what you got, not now, not ever." Then swagger off to the sound of her hysterical wailing, knowing you got the power of righeousness!!! AMEN!!!
PS: Do NOT think of the oreos for the next 722 miles. DO NOT THINK OF THE OREOS. DAMMIT!!! I TOLD YOU, FORGET THE STUPID COOKIES? OK?
The Weasel
Well, maybe. I really don't undrstand what, if anything, you are saying.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 20:04
Well, maybe. I really don't undrstand what, if anything, you are saying.

he's been drinkin' that skank daigo red that sells for $2.99 a gallon

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 20:14

Are you even aware that there's cheese on a cheeseburger? C'mon, man. Cheese. The burger is just a platform to get cheese into my system.

weary
09-21-2007, 20:40
Are you even aware that there's cheese on a cheeseburger? C'mon, man. Cheese. The burger is just a platform to get cheese into my system.
Where do you guys live. I rarely can find a cheeseburger, that actually has real cheese on it. Most have a mixture of milk and chemicals that congeal into a stiff salve.

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 20:49
Where do you guys live.

I live in a world of cheese, all of it there for the taking. Cheese hanging from the trees, cheese raining from the sky. A world where cheese is an accepted form of currency, an appetizer, a meal, a way of life, an acceptable thing to wear to a formal occasion. Where you can love cheese as you wish, and it doesn't accuse you of being codependent.

A world of possibilities, all of them shot through with cheese.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 20:55
Where do you guys live. I rarely can find a cheeseburger, that actually has real cheese on it. Most have a mixture of milk and chemicals that congeal into a stiff salve.

although i don't eat that disgusting cheese s**t y'all love so much, you need to take your ass west to vermont for some cabots cheese. award winning. best in the land, by jesus!

rickb
09-21-2007, 20:57
although i don't eat that disgusting cheese s**t y'all love so much, you need to take your ass west to vermont for some cabots cheese. award winning. best in the land, by jesus!

They should build a monument to cheese along the AT.

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 20:58

I have done my hajj to Vermont. I have bowed before an alter of delicious sharp cheddar, and then eaten it. I didn't have to go to the bathroom for four days.

Award winning?
Soul winning!

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 21:02
They should build a monument to cheese along the AT.

I have been to the monument to cheese along the AT in Cheshire! I have leaned against it, filled with thoughts of cheese! I have gone to the post office across the street, taken a picture, and been drawn magnetically back to "the Big Cheese Monument." Intending to stay in town for a moment, I stayed for what felt a lifetime.

Then I went to the convenience store on the way out of town, and bought some cheese.

Krewzer
09-22-2007, 08:31
he's been drinkin' that skank daigo red that sells for $2.99 a gallon

I understand 2 Buck Chuck is vastly more popular out there.:p

I think I may have told this before, but what the hey. Try this for fun.

Wait until late summer and start shelter hopping when it's Thru-hiker season. Take lots of goodies. As Thru-hikers come in spread your food bag all over the place. Dont mention that you've so much as hiked before this week. Sit back and enjoy the show. At this time of year, there's some real Oscar Winners out there. (They've had months of practice by then.)

Then confess what you're doing when they start getting that "Well, Crap!!!" look on their face. Then share the wealth and the evening.

This kind of started, by watching some friends of mine being picked clean by a SoBo a few years back. He was as good as I've ever seen. Practically had everyone in the shelter he was on death's door. Next morning I told him who I was and complimented him on his technique. He got a big laugh out of that.

jrwiesz
09-23-2007, 02:21
Only if stealing is bad.:-?

Yogi can be seen swinging from a rope snatching the pic-i-nic basket.:eek:

Boo Boo is reminding him, "Mr. Ranger isn't going to like this".:(

Yogi-ing 101 according to Hanna-Barbera.:D

"Please don't feed the bears".;)

Frosty
09-23-2007, 02:50
I regard the offer of free food as an insult to my self respect.

I don't accept rides into town unless the person offering will accept money in return.Interesting. I once knew a guy who was frightened by clowns.

Frosty
09-23-2007, 03:00
Where do you guys live. I rarely can find a cheeseburger, that actually has real cheese on it. Most have a mixture of milk and chemicals that congeal into a stiff salve.mmmmmmm...chemmmicaaaaaallllllls

pasteurized processed cheese food, it says on the lable

superman
09-23-2007, 07:15
I have done my hajj to Vermont. I have bowed before an alter of delicious sharp cheddar, and then eaten it. I didn't have to go to the bathroom for four days.

Award winning?
Soul winning!

There once was a time that what ever you could say about New Hampshire you could say about Vermont. Then some time around the 60s Vermont took a turn to the left. We've had some of that also because of the folks from Massachusetts migrating here to get away from their tax and spend policies. The one thing that Vermont does very well is make cheese. I like my cheddar so sharp it crumbles. Their holier than thou promotion of all things Vermont is a bit over the top and obnoxious. How ever, I can't get a good rant going about Vermont since they do have the Long Trail. We're leaving in about and hour to go back over there and hike some more of it. Before we start hiking, we are going to go listen to a pianist named Cody Michaels. I met him at a shelter on my last Long Trail section. He's a nice young man. www.codymichaels.com (http://www.codymichaels.com/)

Jan LiteShoe
09-23-2007, 10:42

Yeah, I came home from Vermont with the cooler packed with blocks of Cabot's Seriously Sharp cheddar. I may be stopped up for months.
:)

I've been broiling an English muffin or a slab of whole wheat with a slice of Cabot's and a slice of homegrown tomato. OOOOoo, baby!

What were we talking about?

mudhead
09-23-2007, 11:05
Can't you get that at the local store? I thought all yawl was civilized down there...

Mags
09-23-2007, 23:23
You are so wrong. But we like you anyway.

TW

Weasel, as usual you win. Having discussions with you is pointless.

Nightwalker
09-23-2007, 23:24
Weasel, as usual you win. Having discussions with you is pointless.

Careful, you'll be accused of eating bad 'shrooms. :)

Mags
09-23-2007, 23:26
Someone has a problem with the kindness?

Based on your long, rambling e-mail I say yes.

Cripe people.

Say please. Say thank you. Pass on the favors to others.

What is so hard?

I look forward to Brrrrrrrrrb's long reply and Weasels snarky rejoiners.

Mags
09-23-2007, 23:28
Careful, you'll be accused of eating bad 'shrooms. :)

Worse. I'll get a long, rambling diatribe.

I should know better than to go on-line on a weekend. :)

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 00:32
Worse. I'll get a long, rambling diatribe.

I should know better than to go on-line on a weekend. :)

Jeez, Louise, which do you want? Long diatribes or snarkiness? Just because you see a lot of colors in the sky after your fungifest, don't blame me about the cheeseburgers!

TW

minnesotasmith
09-24-2007, 04:46
Just a Hiker,

But, I'm not offended. I took it just as light hiker humor.

FYI, to anyone reading this, during my thruhike last year, I made decent donations in virtually all hiker hostels I did not do work-for-stay.

Johnny Thunder
09-24-2007, 09:49
The great state of Vermont refuses to appologize for it's Cheddar.

Mags
09-24-2007, 14:09
Jeez, Louise, which do you want? Long diatribes or snarkiness? Just because you see a lot of colors in the sky after your fungifest, don't blame me about the cheeseburgers!

TW

Bravo! Witty and smart! I tip my non-existent hat to you! I, for one, wish I had your intellectual acumen.

As I said, I am too simple minded to be the TW's category.

ed bell
09-24-2007, 14:25
(gary rossington - ronnie vanzant)

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.
Take your time... dont live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and youll find love,
And dont forget son,
There is someone up above.

(chorus)
And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son,
If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich mans gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

(chorus)

Boy, dont you worry... youll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

(chorus)

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 14:58
Bravo! Witty and smart! I tip my non-existent hat to you! I, for one, wish I had your intellectual acumen.

As I said, I am too simple minded to be the TW's category.

Simple, I never forget, does not mean lacking in acumen, intellectual or otherwise. I suspect your hat is no more non-existent than Schrodinger's cat. And no less so.

TW

Mags
09-24-2007, 21:14
Simple, I never forget, does not mean lacking in acumen, intellectual or otherwise. I suspect your hat is no more non-existent than Schrodinger's cat. And no less so.

TW

Give that man an .edu!

Brrrb Oregon
09-24-2007, 21:52
Based on your long, rambling e-mail I say yes.

Cripe people.

Say please. Say thank you. Pass on the favors to others.

What is so hard?

I look forward to Brrrrrrrrrb's long reply and Weasels snarky rejoiners.

Well, yogi-ing is better than boring people to death. You've got me there.:D

If you pass on the favor, then I have no problem with it. How's that?

Brrrb Oregon
09-24-2007, 21:59
The great state of Vermont refuses to appologize for it's Cheddar.

The only thing wrong with the best Vermont cheddar is that it is almost too good to put on a cheeseburger. It is almost good beyond use.

Almost. It does make a wonderful burger. Oooo, and homegrown tomatoes, too....people it is September!!!! Get 'em while you can!!! Yogi if you hafta!!

Go!!!

(Actually, I'll be making the cheese on mine Tillamook. Oh, yum.)

Brrrb Oregon
09-24-2007, 22:00

You are impoverished, and I don't care what they pay you.

Mags
09-24-2007, 23:19
If you pass on the favor, then I have no problem with it. How's that?

Geeeee! Brrrb has no problem with that. How wonderful! :banana

Brrrb Oregon
09-25-2007, 00:15
Geeeee! Brrrb has no problem with that. How wonderful! :banana

A banana AND glad to see me. That is more approval than I want, buddy.

Mags
09-25-2007, 00:52
A banana AND glad to see me. That is more approval than I want, buddy.

I never said I was glad to see you...or I approved of you. :D

I'm sure you are perfectly nice person and all..but well, I don't think I'll be glad to see you any time soon. ;)

G' night. I'm finally done with my project for tonight. Taking over the world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs)

Brrrb Oregon
09-25-2007, 01:03
I never said I was glad to see you...or I approved of you. :D

I'm sure you are perfectly nice person and all..but well, I don't think I'll be glad to see you any time soon. ;)

G' night. I'm finally done with my project for tonight. Taking over the world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs)

Then that was just a dancing banana in your pocket. That's a relief...even though I'm sure you're a perfectly nice guy and all. ;)

You want to take over this world? Have at it, buddy, but be careful what you wish for. :D

Flush2wice
09-25-2007, 13:23
The official word on yogiing:
http://cool.berber.co.il/CoolStuff/Other%20Cool%20Stuff/WAV/Cartoon/RANGER.WAV

Bluehaus71
09-26-2007, 02:55
Yogi-ing or begging? What's the difference? Not that it matters to me. But let's be real here and call a spade a spade...eh? If a dog sits at your feet while your eating that juicy cheeseburger with sad puppy dog eyes is he not begging because he doesn't just out and ask for a bite? For it not to be begging in my book it would have to be unsolicited in any way. If I'm hiking along minding my own business and someone says, "hey man, I'm hiking out today. You want my Ramen, dude?" If I accept then I wouldn't consider that begging or yogi-ing because my intent or expectation was not to receive anything. Don't get me wrong. I'm impartial on the subject. If you want to yogi then yogi away. But I have to say, I wouldn't yogi myself unless it was a matter of life or death. I would, however, be open to unsolicited random acts of kindness.

Panzer1
09-26-2007, 08:56

I pass homeless people in center city Philly everyday and I can see the difference between them and begging hikers. Most of the homeless I see kind of scares me. Just to think that a human could slip so low as not to be able to support themselves. Some of them are mentally ill and some are drug addicts. I would never want to be one.

On the other hand I would not mind to be on the trail, even if I had to yogi a little. I pity the homeless but envy the hiker. I guess that's the difference.

Bye the way, I don't particularly approve of yogiing just the same.

Panzer

Nightwalker
09-27-2007, 22:51
The great state of Vermont refuses to apologize for it's Cheddar.

Probably a smoker.

Jester2000
09-28-2007, 17:56
With just an added comma, and a change of punctuation, I think I can create a new adjective. Let me see here. . .

The great state of Vermont refuses to apologize, for it's Cheddar!

Yes it it, Johnny, Vermont's about as Cheddar as they come. You're pretty Cheddar too in my book.

Adam B
11-13-2007, 13:48
Hmm, I have no idea if I yogi or for that matter I didn't know what yogi-ing was until this post. My first though was that it was stealing the ranger's picnic basket.

In the places I hike, I rarely see anyone else. If I happen to see someone of course I would invite them to have lunch with me, if only for some human company after a few weeks without human contact and news. A few times we have had an interesting lunch with a little of mine and a little of theirs. That is how I got the news princess di was dead.

Me and Timber always carry whatever we need on our backs, so we would never starve but I don't know how many people have shared their jerky or dinner with him. I don't ask and he has plenty of food but it makes people happy to share what they have with others. I have never asked for money to share, nor have I payed for the chance.

I did travel for quite a long time by walking until I was tired, knocking on someone door and explaining that I was travelling through their community and could I please set up my shelter on their property for the night. Most of the time people said yes and sometimes offered a hot shower or meal, rarely even offered a guest room or couch for the night. If allowed to set up my shelter I would practice LNT and say thanks and move on the next morning. If they said no I would knock on the next door until someone said yes. My journey wouldn't have been as enjoyable or valuable if I didn't have they courage to knock on a stranger's door and ask simply for a place to put my shelter.

Have I yogied? I don't know, but I might have. Do I care? No. If someone yogied me would I care? No. I would never offer something I was uncomfortable doing and what do I care what the motivating factor was if I wanted to offer it in the first place.