PDA

View Full Version : Where are the privies?

sonic
09-18-2007, 12:54
I picked up an older version of the AT Companion and expected to see a notation on which shelters have privies. That wasn't the case:-? . Is that because this is an older version (2004) or are they just not listed? Please point me in the right direction if the info is out there somewhere.

Marta
09-18-2007, 13:07
Are you looking for a listing for the whole Trail? Or just a section? Most shelters have privies, except for northeast TN and some of the shelters in the Smokies.

sonic
09-18-2007, 13:18
No kidding. I had no idea most of the shelters had privies. That's pretty cool. I was looking for a listing for the whole trail, but it's no wonder they don't notate it! Thanks

dzierzak
09-18-2007, 13:24
Also listed, with shelter info, the Thru-Hikers' Companion (ALDHA)

Kerosene
09-18-2007, 14:59
You might be able to complement your research by looking at the threads (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34) for the various shelters, many of which note the location of privies and water sources.

shelterbuilder
09-18-2007, 17:11
I picked up an older version of the AT Companion and expected to see a notation on which shelters have privies. That wasn't the case:-? . Is that because this is an older version (2004) or are they just not listed? Please point me in the right direction if the info is out there somewhere.

It would probably be easier to list the shelters that don't have privies - all of the newer shelters are required by ATC and NPS to have a privy of some type.

I can start the list of those that don't: Bake Oven Knob, north of Rt. 309 in Pa. (This shelter dates back to the mid-1930's!)

briarpatch
09-18-2007, 17:48
All of the shelters in GA have mouldering privies.