PDA

View Full Version : Catskills - 4 day trip

wincheck
09-18-2007, 12:55
Trying to plan a trip in the Catskills - 4 days - 3 nights. 50 miles or so. 10-15-15-10. This is my first time heading over there.

So my question is - does anyone have any advice for a satisfying 4 day jaunt in the Catskills? Perhaps on the Long Path?

Thanks!

FYI - The AMC guidebook is very frustrating - some of the trails (mostly sections of the Long Path) are described South-North while others are described North-South. None of the trail descrips give reverse mileage. Bah.

MOWGLI
09-18-2007, 13:12
Trying to plan a trip in the Catskills - 4 days - 3 nights. 50 miles or so. 10-15-15-10. This is my first time heading over there.

So my question is - does anyone have any advice for a satisfying 4 day jaunt in the Catskills? Perhaps on the Long Path?

Thanks!

FYI - The AMC guidebook is very frustrating - some of the trails (mostly sections of the Long Path) are described South-North while others are described North-South. None of the trail descrips give reverse mileage. Bah.

The NY NJ Trail Conference has a Long Path book. Suggest you buy it. The Long Path would be a fine selection to hike. You could always strat south of the Catskills. Say at the Bashakill, or in the Gunks.

taildragger
09-18-2007, 13:12
You could do the devils path both ways (18,000' in elevation, or so they've told me, and I think its 26 miles one way).

Appalachian Tater
09-18-2007, 13:26
The NY NJ Trail Conference has a Long Path book. Suggest you buy it. The Long Path would be a fine selection to hike. You could always strat south of the Catskills. Say at the Bashakill, or in the Gunks.

The only problem with the Long Path guidebook is that it is oriented to day hikers. There is little or no information given on water sources, for example. In long stretches there are few or no water sources other than trespassing for spigot water. (Don't know about the Catskill section in particular, probably there are more water sources.)

The organization of the book is a little confusing, as well. I went through and labeled all the maps and wrote chapter numbers on the summary table in the back of the book.

Also, you need to go online and check for updated trail conditions. There are sections listed as closed that are actually open and there have been some re-routes. With that precaution, the maps are pretty good and I didn't think it necessary to get more detailed ones.

taildragger
09-18-2007, 14:06
I can look at my maps and might be able to tell you a good trail. I like the devil's path because of the view and the fact that its fairly tough with gear on. As for water, it just rained up there, so you should at least have some in the valleys.

Good place to choose to hike, I love this area, good steep climbs and not as many tourons due to the roughness of the terrain.

camper10469
09-18-2007, 19:18
Devils path is a great 4 day trip. Water is a problem in th elevations but available in the lower sections of the trail where you will more than likely be camping anyway.

Get the map set from EMS and check out the trails. For current reviews and conditions of the trails check out Views from teh top... http://viewsfromthetop.com/trail/ny/index.html and also http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/ another good site to join if you have questions.

horicon
09-19-2007, 13:45
Try doing Peekamoos, Table, Slide, Cornell, Wittenburgh, Gaint Ledge and Pather as one trip. There is the Devils Path; Westkill, Hunter, Platue, Twin, Sugeraloat, Indian Head with a side trip to Overlook. There is also the escartmet trail.

Turtlehiker
09-19-2007, 17:01
4 day backpacking trips are tough in the Catskills, especially if you want to cover 50 miles, even harder if you don't want some road walks. I have done the Devils path as a two night and as a dayhike. I think is was tougher as an overnight with a full pack.
Peekamoose, Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg thats a 2 day.
I don't have my maps right now but I had found a nice big loop, not alot of big mtns that was about 36 miles, it was in the Western Cats.

Time To Fly 97
09-19-2007, 17:05
There are two that I have done, both as a two night 2.5 day hike: The Devil's Path and the Escarpment Trail. DP is pretty tough (be in shape for that one), the ES is a lot easier with a few good climbs tossed in. THe Catskills are beautiful and I'm sure wherever you choose you will enjoy!

Happy hiking!

TTF

wincheck
09-22-2007, 16:36
Thanks for the help everyone. This has been very helpful. My tripmate and I only have one car - so the Devil's Path and back seems like a good option. A loop seems more tricky. Maybe we'll pare it down and only go for two nights.