PDA

View Full Version : Anybody that has a Skarab 55...

Passionphish
09-18-2007, 21:11
Anyone with the Northface Skarab 55 ever hiked without the framesheet and stays? The framesheet weighs a wopping 8 oz! Without the suspension it weighs real close to 2 lbs... Any comments? My base weight is around eleven pounds, no food, water, or fuel. What do you think for a thru hike?

Passionphish

skar578
09-23-2007, 13:56
I dont own a 55, but i would assume the frams sheet is pretty useful. If you dont mind not having it, then go ahead.

BTW how do you like the 55, I am considering one for myself. how much can you pack in it (in days)?

Passionphish
09-23-2007, 18:54
I haven't done more than a weekend in it. That being said, I am a lightweight backpacker. My base load is usually around 12 lbs but always 15 or less. I also don't deal in bulky equipment. So to answer your question...
Fully loaded, I come no where near filling this bag. I have had three days worth of food in it for me and my daughter and it was 3/4 the way up the frame sheet. The Top allows for almost 4 inches of room above the pack itself. So I think there is plenty of room in this pack. Its what I'm taking for my thru-hike in '08. I hope you like it the way I have!