PDA

View Full Version : News flash - Mom and son beat the odds!

Blissful
09-19-2007, 12:13
I have to shout it out :D

WE MADE IT!!!! Yahoo.

Summited Katahdin yesterday under fantastic weather.

Thank you, GOD! And thank you friends of White Blaze who thought of us, prayed for us, fed us, took us over the river and through the woods, camped with us, met us on the trail, hiked with us, etc.

Blissful and Paul Bunyan
2000 milers

:banana :banana :banana :D

Cuffs
09-19-2007, 12:17
You Guys Rock!!!! Congrats!!!! What An Accomplishment!

the goat
09-19-2007, 12:23
congratulations!:)

Dances with Mice
09-19-2007, 12:27
Congratulations!

dixicritter
09-19-2007, 12:28
Way To Go Blissful and Paul!!!! Congratulations!

Midway Sam
09-19-2007, 12:30
Congrats. I hope to one day summit Katahdin with one or both of my sons.

Appalachian Tater
09-19-2007, 12:30
Congratulations! I hope others follow in your example.

The Weasel
09-19-2007, 12:45
WOW!!!!! Very proud for you...hope to leave my pebble by yours one day!

The Weasel

Marta
09-19-2007, 12:49
Congratulations! Way to go!

Creek Dancer
09-19-2007, 12:55
That is so cool. Congrats!

Grinder
09-19-2007, 12:56
I am very excited and happy for your results.

Many are called, but few arrive.

Miles of Smiles
tom

MOWGLI
09-19-2007, 12:57
Congrats! Now, go soak your feet!

Lyle
09-19-2007, 14:26
I can only imagine how much your relationship as both Mother/Son and friend/friend has grown! You must both be so proud of eachother. This is something that will be with you for the rest of your lives, something very special that few, if any, Mothers and Sons experience.

Blissful, I'm sure you have probably gained a great deal of respect for Paul Bunyan as a man, someone you can count on and depend on. Someone who's opinion is to be truely considered and counted on.

Paul Bunyan, not many young people your age get to relate to a parent as a partner and friend the way the two of you have probably done. You got to experience an entire aspect of your Mom that most children don't experience until much later in life if at all.

I'm sure you probably had disagreements and disappointments along the way, but you both stuck it out, persevered and now have this fantastic accomplishment to look back on and build upon. How very fortunate you both are!

Congratulation to you both, never forget what you have learned together.

Most all of us envy you both.

Mammoth
09-19-2007, 14:57
Congrats! Very well done!

emerald
09-19-2007, 15:20
Lauralee, I knew you and Joshua had the right stuff. You just needed to stop falling down.:rolleyes:

I was afraid you'd do that one time too many and it would interfere with your plans, but you kept getting up and walking anyway until you reached Katahdin. That's pretty much what it takes.

With these words, I rescind my rant (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=381864#post381864), but only the 1st one.

I'm lovin' it! :clap :jump :cool:

Pennsylvania Rose
09-19-2007, 15:27
YEEEEAAAHHHH! I've been rooting for you the whole way! My 16 year old son and I envy what you two have been able to do. We can't wait to hit the trail together, along with my daughter, in a couple more years.

emerald
09-19-2007, 15:42
I may be the only person to notice, but Blissful has 5 smileys in her post. I'd thought only 4 are permitted. Must be a special rule for threads annoucing new 2000 milers.
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gifhttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gif

Cuffs
09-19-2007, 15:50
As I re-read your title on this thread... "beat the odds.."

I think to myself..."as if there were any doubt you'd make it!!"
Congrats, again!!!

Jan LiteShoe
09-19-2007, 15:53

WE MADE IT!!!! Yahoo.

Hey congrats! And a Class 1 day too, what fantastic luck. :sun

You summited almost on my anniversary, Sept. 18 four years ago. You'll never forget the day you started, or finished.

mweinstone
09-19-2007, 16:10
what was it like? who did you summit with? what did you do for your summit shot? why no details? you listen to me. im 46. i owe 170 ,000.00 to the irs. i failed to thru four times. i have no girlfriend. i want details. and i want them now! so you get in the mood!

so tell me,...everything

kyhiker1
09-19-2007, 16:44
Congratulations on a great achievement,you lead wonderfully by example....I hope more will follow.:sun

T-Dubs
09-19-2007, 17:09
Congratulations on the completion of your hike

Tom

FatMan
09-19-2007, 17:13
You have done what I likely will never do. I am jealous as all heck. Congratulations!

Skidsteer
09-19-2007, 18:00
That's just awesome! I'm so happy for you both.

mountain squid
09-19-2007, 18:06
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy014.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy057.gif I think I just missed you both by a day http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sad052.gifat Chet's place in Lincoln, NH. Anyway, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy096.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy116.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

buckowens
09-19-2007, 18:20
:banana Roo and I send our congratulations!!!!:banana What a great accomplishment!! :D :sun :)

TJ aka Teej
09-19-2007, 18:25
Blissful and Paul Bunyan
2000 milers

Congrats you two!! :sun

shelterbuilder
09-19-2007, 18:51
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Glad to hear the weather cooperated!!:banana :banana :banana :banana You both get four out of a possible four dancing bananas!

Forrest Phil
09-19-2007, 19:55
Congratulations! Way to go.

wrongway_08
09-19-2007, 20:22
Congratulations - You Rock - The Both Of You Rock!

BIG GRINS!!!! :) :) :) :)

WhoAh
09-19-2007, 21:07
Most Excellent news!! Congrats to the both of you - can't wait to hear more details!! I am like really envious!!

Trillium
09-19-2007, 22:17
Congratulations Blissful & Paul Bunyon; that's AWESOME!! Good for you!

MrSparex
09-19-2007, 22:33
Terribly jealous here....but congrats!
Major life accomplishment!

neo
09-19-2007, 22:54
[quote=Blissful;409886]I have to shout it out :D

WE MADE IT!!!! Yahoo.

Thank you, GOD! And thank you friends of White Blaze who thought of us, prayed for us, fed us, took us over the river and through the woods, camped with us, met us on the trail, hiked with us, etc.

Blissful and Paul Bunyan
2000 milers

:) thats awesome,congrats on your thru:cool: neo

LIhikers
09-20-2007, 06:40

WE MADE IT!!!! Yahoo.....Blissful and Paul Bunyan...2000 milers

:banana :banana :banana :D

Congrats on your hike!!!! Now where is this journey we call life going to take you?

Outlaw
09-20-2007, 14:18
NEWS FLASH- I had no doubts that BOTH of you would make it!

Congrats to BOTH of you! Awesome achievement! :sun

emerald
09-20-2007, 15:17
NEWS FLASH- I had no doubts that BOTH of you would make it!

Congrats to BOTH of you! Awesome achievement! :sun

Of course, it was an awesome achievement and both made it.:rolleyes: Blissful was hiking with Paul Bunyan!:rolleyes: She wasn't hiking with any-old-hiker for a partner.:rolleyes: Their hike was in the bag the moment they committed to the first step!:rolleyes: I guess I have another emoticon, but, by now, Outlaw, surely you must get my point, even if some others don't.;)

rafe
09-21-2007, 10:01
Congrats to both of you. You and Paul finished the trail one day before I did.

The Old Fhart
09-21-2007, 10:49
Congrats to Blissful and Paul Bunyan! (..and to _terrapin_ also):)

Outlaw
09-21-2007, 11:31
but by now, Outlaw, you must get my point, even if some others don't.;)

I sure do!:cool:

Blissful
09-21-2007, 20:04
what was it like? who did you summit with? what did you do for your summit shot? why no details? you listen to me. im 46. i owe 170 ,000.00 to the irs. i failed to thru four times. i have no girlfriend. i want details. and i want them now! so you get in the mood!

so tell me,...everything

I just returned home to Virginia so am taking a little time to breathe. :)
Lots of what happened I put in my trail journal with more thoughts to come. But when I take time to think back on the experience, it really is a miracle we made it. After sprains, a stint in the hospital, pulling off ticks knowing hikers are getting lyme disease everywhere, a stomach flu in the Whites, the terrain of NH and Maine that nearly did us in along with 70 plus mph wind, and assorted times we wanted to throw in the towel, it truly is a miracle. I put a lot of my success to my personal beliefs (I am a Christian who wholeheartedly believes in a God who loves us and is there for us) and also in the massive support I had on the homefront. When I wanted to quit in Maine (believe it or not. Some find that crazy to think, but Maine was tough for me to go on) I had a fantastically supportive husband and others to tell me to keep going, I didn't have far to go. When I was vomiting in Lakes of the CLouds hut at 2 AM I called my hubby and he helped me through it. I had people praying like crazy. I had people signing my guestbook in support and those who tirelessly e-mailed their support. But also I had in me a determination stemming from 30 years of thinking and planning for this moment in time. Back in Georgia when I first started a few hikers saw that determination and thought it would one day get me into trouble. Well it can when one wants to get out on the ridgeline in zero degree wind chill and risk life with hypothermia. But on the flip side it's determination that makes one keep going when the going gets bad. To put one foot forward and make miles, even if the miles aren't very far. To see this to the end.
There will be more thoughts and reflections to come, no doubt. But this is a start.

Blissful
09-21-2007, 20:10
Now where is this journey we call life going to take you?

Wow, I wish I knew! When you have thought and planned something for so long - you wonder - now what??

I definitely want to write about my journey as I am a writer. Paul Bunyan and I would also love to talk to scout troops, school groups and others about our experience. We got to do that in the Whites at the AMC huts twice and had a blast.

Will I hike again? Of course. What, I'm not sure at all. I thought about the PCT, but that is not a life calling. The AT was. There's still time though, I hope and pray. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

halftime
09-21-2007, 20:44

Blissful and Paul Bunyan
2000 milers

Great summit photo on TJ. Remarkable achievement!!!

Congratulations!!!!

hikernutt
09-21-2007, 22:09
WAY TO GO you guys, I am so proud of the two of you. I knew after hiking thru the Smokies with you that you both would make it, Blissful had such determination, she where she wanted to go each day and made sure that is where she ended up no matter what. It was hard for me to keep up with you thru the smokies but I did and I am glad for the time we spent together.

You will share a stronger bond together as mother and son now that you didn't have before, alot of mothers and sons wished they had that strong bond. I love you both. Hikernutt

hikernutt
09-21-2007, 22:10
WAY TO GO you guys, I am so proud of the two of you. I knew after hiking thru the Smokies with you that you both would make it, Blissful had such determination, she knew where she wanted to go each day and made sure that is where she ended up no matter what. It was hard for me to keep up with you thru the smokies but I did and I am glad for the time we spent together.

You will share a stronger bond together as mother and son now that you didn't have before, alot of mothers and sons wished they had that strong bond. I love you both. Hikernutt

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-21-2007, 22:38
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/cartwheel.gif.......http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/cartwheel.gif.......http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/cartwheel.gif

I never doubted for a moment that you two would make it.

galaleemc
09-22-2007, 11:44
Laura Lee and PB

Congrats to you both. Will you write NON fiction now?

mrc237
09-22-2007, 14:37
Nice Job!!!

Blissful
09-22-2007, 17:21
Laura Lee and PB

Congrats to you both. Will you write NON fiction now?

Seems like our journey had elements that could be an adventure novel - but it was ALL true, Laura!! Yes, I hope to get it all down. My job this week as I reflect and get things in order.

It was great meeting you at Cloud Nine so long ago (it seems!) and again at Trail Days. Thanks for everything.

emerald
09-22-2007, 17:24
How's PB? Does he have plans to return to his studies this fall or will that need to wait until spring?

boarstone
09-22-2007, 19:53
Congrats! You've accomplished much together, not just this hike...enjoy the memories!

Mini-Mosey
09-22-2007, 22:38
Awesome: Congratulations!!!

Dawn
09-24-2007, 09:47
Isn't that funny that we missed you by one day! I can't believe there were so many days with that great weather...we were all really lucky. Congratulations.

Sharkey
09-24-2007, 10:08
Congratulations!!!!!!