PDA

View Full Version : Catawba Mountain Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
11-08-2003, 15:06
Lovely basic 6-person design formed with close-fitted plywood that doesn't give the mice any direct access. Two fancy, industrial strength food bag holders with multiple hooks available, although one was broken somehow as of October 2003.

Picnic table is uncovered and raised off the slope to make it level, which makes it difficult to sit down and get up, or even stand by the downill side of the table to cook.

Privy is in front of shelter to the left about 100 feet. A nice piped spring is just south back on the Trail (to the right heading south).

Western exposure, so you might see a nice sunset over the ridge but obscured by trees. Moderate direct sunlight.

The Trail here that passes within 50 feet of the shelter is heavily used by day hikers climbing up from the road to McAfee Knob, especially on weekends.

Click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1741&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=566&page=1) for a picture of the shelter.

BlackCloud
06-20-2005, 13:16
As of 6/18 the cabin was clean and empty. Nothing exciting to report other then my surprise to find 3 shelters w/in 5 miles!

Never before...

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:33
Very clean and accessible. The only complaint for me in late June was a hyperactive whip-poor-will who refused to sleep.
-Mark

jlb2012
09-09-2005, 13:52
passed by on Wed. 7 Sep 2005 - spring was going well just off of the AT south of the shelter. Privy was a bit buggy if I remember correctly.

bulldog49
10-25-2008, 14:46
Planning to stay here next month on a section hike.

Any updates on the shelter, especially on water availability?

f8lranger4x4
10-26-2008, 11:02
I was just up the other day and water is a trickle. But still plenty of water. About the most reliable water on this section.

sweetpeastu
08-25-2009, 11:16
has anyone heard of any bears problems in this area recently?

f8lranger4x4
09-15-2009, 18:06
No i haven't been up many times recently and never heard of bears around their

Berserker
01-17-2011, 13:23
Nice shelter that sits on a slope as noted by others. Not much in the way of tenting next to the shelter, but there is a designated camp spot a few hundred yards North on the AT that could accommodate several tents. Campbell shelter 2.4 miles North has room for several tents near it, plus there is the Pig Farm campsite just South of Campbell.

fehchet
01-17-2011, 14:03
Nice shelter that sits on a slope as noted by others. Not much in the way of tenting next to the shelter, but there is a designated camp spot a few hundred yards North on the AT that could accommodate several tents. Campbell shelter 2.4 miles North has room for several tents near it, plus there is the Pig Farm campsite just South of Campbell.

Is this a bacon reference?

Diatribe
01-18-2011, 00:00
Nice shelter that sits on a slope as noted by others ... Campbell shelter 2.4 miles North has room for several tents near it, plus there is the Pig Farm campsite just South of Campbell.

Would someone explain what the Pig Farm Campsite is?:-?
Thanks!

Hikerhead
01-18-2011, 00:16
Would someone explain what the Pig Farm Campsite is?:-?
Thanks!

Just a little campsite with a picnic table and fire ring right beside the trail. It used to be a pig farm there many many many years ago. It's a nice little spot.

Berserker
01-18-2011, 13:13
Just a little campsite with a picnic table and fire ring right beside the trail. It used to be a pig farm there many many many years ago. It's a nice little spot.
Thanks for explaining that Hikerhead. I apologize for the confusion everyone. This spot is labeled as the "Pig Farm Campsite" on the 2001 version of the official ATC map for this section, which is why I referred to it in those terms.

GoldenBear
08-17-2014, 17:07
No i haven't been up many times recently and never heard of bears around their

I've hiked 1040 miles on the A.T., and have seen bear a total of four times.
Once was three days ago, close to the Johns Spring Shelter.
Just like the previous three times, the bear scampered away in a hurry before I could even get my camera out of its bag, so I had no chance of getting a photo.
So it would appear it is far from a problem bear.

But there are bears in the area.
So, treat this place like you should treat EVERY inch of The Trail, as a place where there's the potential for a hungry bear to become a problem bear and then a dead bear -- all because a hiker was careless.

Outcast
06-05-2019, 10:39
Any recent (2019) updates for Catawba Mountain Shelter?

Also looking to hear more about the tenting near/just North? of Catawba Mountain Shelter.

tdoczi
06-05-2019, 10:56
Any recent (2019) updates for Catawba Mountain Shelter?

Also looking to hear more about the tenting near/just North? of Catawba Mountain Shelter.

"near" and "just north" are relative terms but that section is designated campsites only, so if by these terms you mean something like a mile beyond catawba mountain shelter then no.

https://www.ratc.org/mcafee-knob-and-the-triple-crown/

there is both a catawba mountain shelter and a catawba mountain campsite but my memory is that they are basically the same place. though perhaps the campsite is " just north" of the shelter.

Outcast
06-05-2019, 13:30
Thanks, I found that URL via Google, but looking for some recent experience personal experience. Sounds like you have some memory of it, how recent was that?

tdoczi
06-05-2019, 13:40
Thanks, I found that URL via Google, but looking for some recent experience personal experience. Sounds like you have some memory of it, how recent was that?

april 2018. what exactly are you looking to find out?