PDA

View Full Version : Need info for trip

FrOeKk
09-19-2007, 15:22
I'll be heading out on the Trail October 16th thru the 19th in the Mount Rogers Rec Area, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good circuit of trails for a beginner. I wanted to spend all four days on the trail and I have a dog with me. I'm in good shape and I've done some short hiking and camping before, but this will be my first big one.
Can anyone recommend some good trails, distances, etc, and would anyone also be willing to hook up in that area around this time?

Lone Wolf
09-19-2007, 15:26
I'll be heading out on the Trail October 16th thru the 19th in the Mount Rogers Rec Area, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good circuit of trails for a beginner. I wanted to spend all four days on the trail and I have a dog with me. I'm in good shape and I've done some short hiking and camping before, but this will be my first big one.
Can anyone recommend some good trails, distances, etc, and would anyone also be willing to hook up in that area around this time?

Come to Damascus and pop into Mt. Rogers Outfitters and buy the Trails Illustrated map of the Mt. Rogers area. It is extremely detailed. Lots of loops and trails in the high country. If you need help with a shuttle I can help

FrOeKk
09-19-2007, 15:38
The shuttle info would have probably been my next question!! I am traveling from South Florida and will need a place to leave the car and then obviously get back to the car, so any info on a safe place to park and an easy way to to the trail and back to car would be appreciated too!!

You guys are great with the help here! I'm reading some of the other posts and I love how everyone in the area loves to help each other out!

L. Wolf, I will probably be contacting you for the shuttle info once I get a little more info on where I'll be starting and ending the trail. Thanks again!

The Old Fhart
09-19-2007, 15:39
Whereas you're starting out 'cold', ten miles a day might be a good day in that area if you plan to take it easy and enjoy yourself. Instead of a circuit or loop hike I'd consider starting at VA603, hike south on the A.T. through Grayson Highlands, Mt. Rogers, over Mt. Whitetop, to Damascus, a distance of about 40 miles. You could leave your car in a secure spot in the town of Damascus and check with Mt. Rogers Outfitters or WhiteBlaze's own Lone Wolf to get a shuttle up to VA603. This is a very scenic stretch of trail. Good luck.

Lone Wolf
09-19-2007, 15:41
Whereas you're starting out 'cold', ten miles a day might be a good day in that area if you plan to take it easy and enjoy yourself. Instead of a circuit or loop hike I'd consider starting at VA603, hike south on the A.T. through Grayson Highlands, Mt. Rogers, over Mt. Whitetop, to Damascus, a distance of about 40 miles. You could leave your car in a secure spot in the town of Damascus and check with Mt. Rogers Outfitters or WhiteBlaze's own Lone Wolf to get a shuttle up to VA603. This is a very scenic stretch of trail. Good luck.

you may leave your car at my house and i'll shuttle you to wherever you want to go

FrOeKk
09-19-2007, 15:52
Sounds like a good hike. L. Wolf is kind enough to send me a map of the area, so I'll look those trails up. Scenic is definitely good. I'm looking to take some nice pictures, challenge myself, but not kill myself either! I want to have some fun and maybe build up for a much longer trip later on down the road and maybe make this a more frequent hobby!

Creek Dancer
09-19-2007, 15:53
Whatever you do, don't leave your car overnight at VA 603 Fox Creek. My friend had hers stolen from there last Spring. She was told by the investigating officer that about 40 cars have gone missing from there over the past few years.

Have a great hike! Mt. Rogers is a very special and magical place. Keep your dog on a lead though. You don't want to scare the wild ponies!

I can vouch for L. Wolf. He's harmless!

Kerosene
09-19-2007, 20:12
That's a great 40-mile section, with a ton of top-notch views for the effort!

Tennessee Viking
09-19-2007, 23:16
You could circuit the AT & Iron Mountain Trail (old AT route). The IMT joins up with AT in Damascus, then diverts away from it on top of Feathercamp Ridge. There are a couple shelters still standing on the IMT.

The Mt Rogers Rec Area has these trails listed for circuits:
Circuit Trails

Four Trails Circuit Trail - a circuit hike near Hurricane Campground.
Rowlands Creek Falls Circuit - a multi-use trail.
Rushing Waters Circuit - a circuit from Creek Junction. 1,500 elevation change.
West End Circuit - a long circuit including the AT, Creeper, and Iron Mountain trails.

FrOeKk
09-24-2007, 13:23
You guys are awesome! I should be getting the book of maps from L. Wolf soon, so I look forward to checking out the routes you guys have provided me!! Thank you so much again!

:banana :sun :cool: :p ;)

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 13:40
You guys are awesome! I should be getting the book of maps from L. Wolf soon, so I look forward to checking out the routes you guys have provided me!! Thank you so much again!

:banana :sun :cool: :p ;)

get the map yet? i sent it last thursday