PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Branch Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
11-08-2003, 15:07
Yet another basic 6-person design with uncovered picnic table and fire ring. Located well off the Trail (0.4-0.5 relatively flat miles). Ample tent sites along the access trail. Pickle Branch is 50 yards straight down a series of steps. It's a lovely large creek with crystal clear water. There are additional tent sites across the creek.

Note that there appears to be a trail relocation (October 2003) to the north of the access trail which eliminates a steep SOBO downhill off the ridge but adds another half-mile to the southbounder's mileage.

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 12:50
Has anyone been to this shelter recently? I was wondering if there was any water. I hiked up to Dragon'sTooth from the Dragon's Tooth Trail the other day and water was somewhat scarce. In fact, I don't remember the last time I saw it so dry.

rafe
09-23-2007, 13:16
There's a nicely flowing creek or two near Catawba, along the meadows just north of Dragon's Tooth. The ridge itself (between VA 624 and Pickle Branch Shelter) was totally dry when I walked across it last week. Trout Creek was flowing nicely, in the gap between that ridge and Audie Murphy Mtn.

I miscalculated that day, and darkness set in before I could make it to the shelter. I ended up tenting in a small meadow just north of the shelter access trail.

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 16:12
um Terrapin, are you just hiking through the area...or are you local?

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 16:13
Thanks for the info, btw. Do you know if its safe to leave a vehicle over night at US 621?

Stobl
09-23-2007, 16:16
Yes its perfectly fine to park there. I do it quite often on the weekends (I'm in Blacksburg, the next "big" town over). never had worries about leaving it.

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 16:23
Hey another local. If you ever wanna go hiking lemme know. For ease of reference, I consider myself from Roanoke. Dude and your my age cool.

rafe
09-23-2007, 16:29
um Terrapin, are you just hiking through the area...or are you local?

Not local, I'm back home in Bedford MA. But I walked that route (Campbell Shelter to just above Pickle Branch) last Monday. The memory is still pretty fresh, and water was one of the main concerns of the hike -- all 587 miles of it.

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 17:42
how'd you get to Campbell Shelter? Where did you start on the A.T?

rafe
09-23-2007, 23:34
how'd you get to Campbell Shelter? Where did you start on the A.T?

The night before Campbell I was at the Econo-Lodge in Cloverdale/Daleville. I started this year's section at Lehigh Gap (PA) and ended at VA Rte. 601 (aka "Rocky Gap" on Kelly Knob.)