PDA

View Full Version : how did you get started? what does it do for you?

loadoffannie
09-19-2007, 22:43
hello, newbie here. i am just curious: how did you first get into hiking/backpacking? is there someone who introduced you to it? why do you think you were drawn to it? what has helped you most in developing your trail skills/smarts (a book? another person?) ? personally, i tend to be a very anxious/neurotic person. i've recently started longer hikes and i swear, nothing - no drug or therapist - has been more helpful than a hard treck through the woods. what a great and calming feeling, man.

SGT Rock
09-19-2007, 22:54
My family started me.

hopefulhiker
09-19-2007, 22:59
I was introduced to camping and short backpacking trips, went to Philmont and also hiked on a supported trip as a kid on the AT.. Back then I told myself that one day I would hike the whole thing...

Jester2000
09-19-2007, 23:12
I never backpacked or spent any time in the woods until I was an adult living in Arizona. The calming feeling you mentioned was what I was going for. I spent some time in the desert and north in the woods, but the trip that sucked me in was being in Organ Pipe National Monument on a clear still night when the moon was full, Mars was up, and the Hale-Bopp Comet was going by, so bright that you could see the colors in the tail with the naked eye.

That was a trip.

It was before a lot of info was online, and there were a couple of books I looked through, but mostly I made my own stupid mistakes and learned from them. Later I met folks, many of whom are on this site, and they taught me quite a bit.

Good luck, and welcome.

Nightwalker
09-20-2007, 01:27
I hiked with the scouts as a kid, but just day hikes out from a base camp. I got into backpacking as an adult after a couple of stupid strokes.

The doc told me that since I had no insurance, I'd have no physical therapy. He said to exercise on my own. I started walking in the neighborhood, but it wasn't long before that wouldn't get my heart rate up enough. I tried jogging, but my knees didn't like it. I went to the local state park for day hikes that got longer and longer. I finally bought an oversized, overweight pack and started hiking the Foothills trail in '98. Even though I've hiked many other trails since then, that one is the one that I still hike the most.

I'm happier outside than in. Much happier.

Now, if I could just get a good wifi signal out in the woods...

:D

Nearly Normal
09-20-2007, 06:28
Raised in the country, hunting and fishing taught a love of the outdoors. Scouting also helped.
After reading " A Walk in the Woods" I became interested in the AT.
On an anual trip as a leaf peeper I came across the trail at Carver's Gap. Stopped to look around. Talked to a couple of guys hiking through South bound. Spent the day hiking North and back over some of the balds.
That did it.
Started collecting gear and hiking. I wish I had found WB and TJ before gearing up. You learn quick enough on gear choices by yourself but it's expensive that way.

Nearly Normal

Nearly Normal
09-20-2007, 06:31
What is does for me I call Remedy.

Nearly Normal

bigcranky
09-20-2007, 08:01
My family was not what you would call 'outdoorsy' when I was a kid. So my first hiking/backpacking class was at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri, in the winter of '82-83. Being outside in the woods, in all kinds of weather, was a revelation. It took several years after I stopped wearing green to actually get out on some 'real' hiking/backpacking trips, starting with dayhikes in the Shenandoahs. Our first backpacking trip was 4 days in the Mt Rogers area in Southwest Virginia in '93. I carried way, way, way too much stuff (hey, Uncle Sam didn't teach lightweight backpacking!), and our tiny loop hike was pathetic, but it was a fantastic experience nonetheless.

Since then we've done as much hiking and backpacking as we can, though it's slacked off a lot with our daughter in high school. (She ships out to college next year -- heh heh.) I love the feeling I get standing at the trailhead, everything I need in a small backpack, ready to walk for a day, or three, or twenty. The combination of excitement and relaxation is just perfect.

A bad day on the Trail is always better than a good day at work.

superman
09-20-2007, 08:16
hello, newbie here. i am just curious: how did you first get into hiking/backpacking? is there someone who introduced you to it? why do you think you were drawn to it? what has helped you most in developing your trail skills/smarts (a book? another person?) ? personally, i tend to be a very anxious/neurotic person. i've recently started longer hikes and i swear, nothing - no drug or therapist - has been more helpful than a hard treck through the woods. what a great and calming feeling, man.

I started hiking and camping in the West Woods in Guilford, CT as a member of troop 1 .....50 years ago.
"Very anxious/neurotic person" simply means that you were made to be a hiker. You don't have to be crazy to be a hiker...but it helps.

Furlough
09-20-2007, 08:18
My family and in particular my Dad. There are photos in the family albums of us on camping trips when I was still in diapers and crawling. The backpacking with Dad came about later when I was in Boy Scouts. My 70 year old Dad is still my trail hero and I know I have learned more from him than I am able to actually put into practice. His best two pieces of advice are: 1) The best way to learn it is to do it, and 2) Always try to leave things better than how you found them. Both pieces of advice work great on and off the trail.

Furlough

-SEEKER-
09-20-2007, 08:42
:bananaMy beginning was at Red River Gorge, KY with a group from our local County Park District. We stayed in cabins that trip but it was my first "backpacking " adventure. Prior to that I hiked a lot thanks to an adult leader in my youth church group. I soon found out about beginning backpacking classes at Natural Bridge State Park, KY, then moved up to LNT with a group called 'Tremont' in the Smokies. My first AT experience was in spring of 2006. That definitely sealed the addiction. First books, then sites like this one have helped me with my skills. When preparing for the first AT hike I had my brother go over my gear with me. At one point when we were discussing what was needed as far as clothing, he threw up his hands and and said "oh no, type-A in the woods". I had to agree with him at that point, but just one trip was quite a learning & growing experience. As far as what it does for me, my therapist would tell you that it is the best thing that ever happened to me. The only time I am really able to be myself is when I am out there on the trail. This year when I signed the journal at Neels Gap it was with a tear in my eye that I wrote " I am finally at peace with myself". My only regret is that I didn't get started a lot earlier in my life.

mrc237
09-20-2007, 08:46
My very first "hike" with a pack was from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal to BSA Camp William Pouch (about 3 miles) in 1956. SI was kinda wild back then, although still in NYC I imagined myself in some wild untamed place. BTW the camp is still there.

Cannibal
09-20-2007, 08:53
Running around the hill country of Texas as a kid is what really got me hooked on the outdoors. College in Colorado certainly didn't hurt. Never had much luck with family wanting to go camping, but I just kind of figured it out as I went along. The 'hiking' aspect was born from the desire to be 'away'. Not even close to the top of the list anymore, but it's what got me interested in LDHing.

Daddy Longlegs
09-20-2007, 09:02
Running around the woods and day hiking as a kid. Did a few years in the boy scouts. Got away from it in for awhile then started doing it again about 10 years ago. Love being outdoors by myself or with friends or family, seeing what is around the next bend, and slowing down the pace of life.

JAK
09-20-2007, 09:14
Growing up around woods helped alot. At the you age of 2 or 3, I was introduced to such things by some pretty old and wise 5 and 6 year olds.

They taught me such ancient lore as where all the paths and good climbing trees were. Hiding places to look out for pirates across the Kennebecasis River. Tree forts that the Old ones built, and when it was safe to explore them. Snow forts. Eating snow. Making bows and arrows out of the greenest maple sticks. Wiping my bum with maple leaves. Learning to track the other neighbourhood kids by their scat. Eating wood sorrel, but calling it clover. Eating clover, but calling it honey suckle, and eating all sorts of grass, and calling myself a farmer.

When I got a bit older I found an old Canadian Tire Catalogue hidden under my older brothers bed, and I instantly became a gearhead, though I didn't know it was called that at the time. I had visions of buying all that stuff that real campers needed to explore the great northern woods. Sleeping bags with nice pictures of deer and woods and fishermen on the inside lining, which was nice and soft. Coleman coolers, stoves, pots and pans, tables, chairs, and there really cool trailers that turned into tents. Later came cubs, scouts, sailing school, and the military, but unfortunately none of those organizations seemed to get it right. In basic training our packs only weighed about 50 or 60 pounds or so, and only the directing staff got to travel around in the really big tents. We had to settle for these little hootches.

Learned to love those hootches though, so I am very happy today just sleeping under my poncho/tarp, exploring the Fundy Footpath. Perhaps some day though, I will be able to get one or those trailer tents, and they will extend the Fundy Parkway all the way along the Fundy Shore. ;)

Creek Dancer
09-20-2007, 09:16
I had never hiked, backpacked, camped or did much of anything outdoors until I turned 40. Then I did an Outward Bound program in Colorado in 2000 and have been addicted ever since.

SoonerTex
09-20-2007, 09:50
Scouting in the Northern Virginia area, with trips to the AT. Trout fishing in the Gunnison river at the bottom of the Black Canyon. Actually had a bear come into camp in the middle of the day and got our fish off of stringer as we were scattered up and down the banks fishing. Drinking ice cold water straight from the river. Events like that get into your blood and you are hooked. I don't get out as much as I would like, but I'm trying to change that.
SoonerTex

Cuffs
09-20-2007, 10:25
Summer vacation when out of school, we had a camper on a pick up and spent weeks out at a time (not "real" camping, I know...) One year, took 3 weeks a drove around the entirity of Lake Superior! Fabulous trip! We always did the trails in whatever park we were in at the time.

got into the rat race, put off being in the woods for a long time.

Re-found the woods a few years back and havent been happier.

To me, going to the mountains is like going home....

zelph
09-20-2007, 13:04
My family was not what you would call 'outdoorsy' when I was a kid. So my first hiking/backpacking class was at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri, in the winter of '82-83.
A bad day on the Trail is always better than a good day at work.

bigcranky...There are two bumps in the trail that lead to the woods. "Misery" and "Agony" are they still there at Leonard Wood?

Mushrooming got me into the woods, hunting kept me there for a spell, love of nature stopped my urge to hunt, love of nature keeps me there.

Native Americans(indians) lived in the woods, I wanted to be an indian when I was just a little tyke. I still want to be an indian:) I wanna live and die in the woods.

Mags
09-20-2007, 13:33
re: Ft. Lost in the Woods

Ha! My Dad is NOT into camping because of his time at Ft. Leonard Wood. :) He did both basic and engineering school (re: driving a road grader) there.

He was there in 1969 or 1970. Luckily he did not get the all-expense paid trip to Vietnamn some of his fellow "camping school" graduates received.

superman
09-20-2007, 14:41
re: Ft. Lost in the Woods

Ha! My Dad is NOT into camping because of his time at Ft. Leonard Wood. :) He did both basic and engineering school (re: driving a road grader) there.

He was there in 1969 or 1970. Luckily he did not get the all-expense paid trip to Vietnamn some of his fellow "camping school" graduates received.

When I enlisted in the Army in April 1965 they gare-own-teed me Heavy Equipment School at Fort Lost in the Woods. I was trained in it but when I went across the big puddle I stood in a formation and the man said from here over 1st Infantry Division, then another formation and a different man said from here over 1/26th Infantry. What a hoot...and that's how I got to meet Al Haig.

sweetpeastu
09-20-2007, 15:50
Ever since I was a child I'd go out in the woods and walk...or sit and listen to the birds and watch the sun glint through tree leaves. I think its in my blood. I had always wanted to go backpacking and sometime after I turned 20 I was like, dude theres nothin keepin me from not doin it now so I went out and bought a pack and started going on overnighters. I was hooked!

Backpacking is my escape from ....well everything.

chiefdaddy
09-20-2007, 16:00
1978 I was 4 years old in the back seat of mom's car with the windows rolled up while she chain smoked thru the smokies lol I saw backpackers heading off into the woods and begged mom to let us go down that trail....never happened...

I started cub scouts at an early age and only got to camp at a crappy farm field...i kept thinking of those hikers i saw... Boyscouts was the same, guess the pack leader SUCKED.

At 18 I started reading and buying gear, I'm 33 now and it seems to be in my blood, my 1/4 Cherokee blood maybe!

Cuffs
09-20-2007, 16:10
Im reading something consistent here... hiking/packing is almost an innate thing we are just called to. I deal with suits all week long. I just want to go out and enjoy the sights/sounds of nature acting like nature. Birds, squirrels rustling leaves, the wind in the trees, even the patter of rain on my tarp. It just peeves me to listen to honking horns, the "boom boom boom" of teenagers stereo systems, traffic congestion and the smell of the ever-present smog here in Birmingham. Dammit, now I gotta get out!!

shelterbuilder
09-20-2007, 16:17
My Dad was responsible for my addiction to the woods. Always a hunter and fisherman, he started me out with rod and reel, and later with hunting. He took me car camping when I was 9 or 10, and went with me on my first "long" day hike at 15. And he bought me my first backpack later that year, but he never imagined the monster that he was unleashing by doing so!:D

When I was growing up, I never really felt like I belonged in town. But out in the woods - now THAT'S another story!

Pennsylvania Rose
09-20-2007, 16:17
Had a very small old farm that had reverted to woods down the street from me when I was a kid. We played in the trickle of a creek and climbed trees until it made way for a subdivision when I was 12. I was always drawn to the outdoors, even though getting bit by mosquitos on the front porch is as far outside as my parents go. I spent high school as a member of a boy scout explorer outdoors post - caving, canoeing, and rafting. I never went backpacking until I was 18. I got a wild hair, bought some gear, and headed off to the AT for six weeks. Been obsessed ever since.

iesman69
09-20-2007, 16:25
I agree with Cuffs! I got interested after hearing a friend describe his 2 month walk, and have been hooked since. There's hardly a day that goes by when I'm not thinking about an unwalked section, a previously walked section, gear, etc. I find it easy to forget about the trappings of everyday life when I'm walking. I finally got my girlfriend out with me, and now she's beginning to see the light! Nice thread...

sweetpeastu
09-20-2007, 16:36
LOL. I supposedly have some Cherokee blood in me too...I've always wondered if that has something to do with my love of being in the woods and on mtns. I think I get my love of the highcountry cause I'm Scottish. lol. Wonder if theres anything to that.

JAK
09-20-2007, 16:42
Well my hearts in the highlands at the break of day
Over the hills and far away
Theres a way to get there, and Ill figure it out somehow
Well Im already there in my mind and thats good enough for now

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bob+dylan/highlands_20021613.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogZPN_I870c

Cuffs
09-20-2007, 16:43
Not intentionally trying to side track... But sometimes I can get my "fix" with an early morning program on Animal Planet.

Its called Sunrise Earth. In the Central timezone it comes on at 7am.

Most of them are great (once in a while, just so-so). They film at some cool nature locations (the Maine coast, the Everglades, Buffalo on the prairie...) its just the film and the natural sounds that happen while filming. No narration, music, canned laughter...

Goes great with a cup of coffee in the morning!!

Cuffs
09-20-2007, 16:46
Finally found the show schedule!!

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=15.15210.108966.27396.x

Mags
09-20-2007, 17:05
It just peeves me to listen to honking horns, the "boom boom boom" of teenagers stereo systems, traffic congestion and the smell of the ever-present smog here in Birmingham. Dammit, now I gotta get out!!

Hmm..maybe you should think of a move to Colorado? ;)

chiefdaddy
09-20-2007, 17:05
Not intentionally trying to side track... But sometimes I can get my "fix" with an early morning program on Animal Planet.

Its called Sunrise Earth. In the Central timezone it comes on at 7am.

Most of them are great (once in a while, just so-so). They film at some cool nature locations (the Maine coast, the Everglades, Buffalo on the prairie...) its just the film and the natural sounds that happen while filming. No narration, music, canned laughter...

Goes great with a cup of coffee in the morning!!

WOW I could have made this same post :D I watch that every morning with coffee, Chief turns his head side ways watching that show.

Lilred
09-20-2007, 17:40
I grew up on a lake in northern Michigan. That gave me my love for nature and the outdoors. It wasn't until I got married and started visiting the Smokies that I started day hiking the trails. Never even crossed my mind to go backpacking. Then, one day, I was hiking a trail in the Smokies and it crossed the AT. I remembered from my high school days that it was a trail that went all the way up to Maine. When I saw the AT, my heart literally started racing and it took all I had not to get on that trail and start right then. That was in March of 2003. When I got home from that trip, I found trailplace.com and then from there I found trailjournals.com. That's where I found Jaybird and he got me hiking trails in TN. He told me about Whiteblaze. Met RainMan and in Nov. of 2003, he invited me to go backpacking on the AT. First time I ever put a backpack on, and I did 7 days on the AT, mostly by myself, cause Rainman wanted to kill me with 15 mile days.... LOL so he DITCHED me. Not really, we had planned to split up if his schedule was too much for me. But nonetheless, I was hooked and I've got Rainman and Jaybird to thank. Dang, all this strolling down memory lane has really got me itchin to go back out. So far, I've sectioned as far as Catawba. Sectioning is great, but a thru is what I really want to do.

Bare Bear
09-20-2007, 23:23
When I was 16 and from a poor family, my best friend and his rich family included me on their vacation to Fontana Village, NC. My friend and I found this trail in the woods with "AT" on it. We thought it was the "A" Trail as opposed to the "B" Trail or whatever. We went across the dam and up some hills (at 16 we were running up and down). We went a long ways then headed back getting back just in time to head off the search party that was being organized by the frantic parents. Oops.............but I learned more about that A Trail and when I found it went from Geiorgia to Maine I was just flabbergasted! It seemd so cool that you could walk from the bottom of the USA to the top on trials in the woods. So I hiked here and there for 40 years and got OK at it. Learned to go light and just take what I needed instead of what I wanted. Met more friends than I can think of over the years and wish everyone had the opportunity that I had to be introduced to the wonders of nature, and mostly the people that trail.

Cuffs
09-20-2007, 23:43
I stated how I got my love of the outdoors earlier, but I neglected to say how my thru-hike ambition came along...

Several years ago, (in 2000) living in FL, I was teaching high school. One of my fellow teachers/good friend says "hey Wendi, we're going for a walk on Saturday, why dont you join us?" (this is on Wednesday) I (having a blonde moment) say "sure thing, where do you want to meet?"

She gives me the specifics and I meet her on Saturday... for the inagural "Hops by the Bay Marathon" yup... al 26.2 miles of it!!! I finished and that all I'll say about that.

We got to work on Monday and same friend says that was fun, we need to do something more... and she suggests the AT... Well.... I thought I knew about lots of things in life, but I did not know how long the AT was... but in the back of my mind I knew it was a doozie! That afternoon, I was on the computer "researching" it and discovered its true size!!

She backed down from her ambition (only slightly, since she had 2 boys in college and hubby has cancer) but still kept bugging me about it, saying "one day..."

Well ever since then, I have been plagued by the hiking bug. Thank you Marci!!!

Cuffs
09-21-2007, 11:03
Hmm..maybe you should think of a move to Colorado? ;)

I hear ya!! All right, already!!;) Im workin' on it!

Mags
09-21-2007, 12:07
I hear ya!! All right, already!!;) Im workin' on it!

Just sayin'..... ;)

To actually add to this thread...

It is funny how the same topics crop up over again. But this is one topic I think many of us DON'T get sick of answering.

Why did we come to enjoy this life-style? What makes the outdoors such an important part of our lives?

I once had a girlfriend tell me "The outdoors is not just a hobby for you, it is a lifestyle". And she is correct. I may do a so-called professional job, but the outdoors is what I base my life around.

It is why I moved to Colorado. It is why I turned down a promotion a few years ago, it is why I can't picture leaving. It is how I met my friends who are so much apart of my life. I need the mountains and the woods in my life. I need to hear the elks bugling and feel the crisp Autumn air on my face.

How did I get to this point?

I did not grow up with the outdoors in my life. As mentioned, Dad had enough of "camping" courtest of the US Army. I suspect my grandfather also did not care for "camping" due to his backpacking tour of Europe (with an M1 rifle).

Like many people, my exposure to the mountains came from a memorable trip with my boyscout troop.

From my website:

Boy Scout Troop 71 of Coventry, Rhode Island is taking its annual Columbus Day Weekend camping trip to Mt. Lafayette in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It is October 1986. I’m part of the troop, twelve years old, all excited that I’m going to get to go on a real mountain! And, to make this trip extra special, Dad’s going to be chaperone.

Dad often works overtime on Saturdays; ours is a young family –money and time are scarce. To spend a whole weekend with Dad is a treat.
Friday afternoon, I come home from school and see all the clothes Mom has packed for the trip. Mom’s afraid I’m going to “freeze up North”. The entire bed’s covered with warm clothes: several pairs of jeans, flannel shirts, sweaters, socks, and long underwear. Somehow, it seems like this is too much clothing for a three-day camping trip, but what do I know? I’m just twelve. For this trip I’m going to get to hike with my official Boy Scout rucksack, made of cotton canvas. Dad has even let me have his official U.S. Army pocket knife. With my rucksack, and knife, I’m going to climb that mountain!

Saturday mornings, all the Boy Scouts show up at the community center. I have on my hiking clothes: Sears Toughskins jeans, flannel shirt, long cotton underwear, sweat shirt, work boots. The bus ride to New Hampshire takes more than three hours, longer even than that ride to the big city of Providence. Looking out the windows, I see mountains. “No”, Dad says. “They’re just foothills”. If the foothills are this big, I think, how big are the mountains?

The bus finally pulls up the campground. Several canvas A-Frame tents have been set up, as well as a blue-plastic tarp to cook under. Sunday, we climb the mountain.

The hike begins in the morning. I don’t say anything, but I get tired fast. Dad knows. He takes the rucksack. Why can’t the other dads keep up with mine? Aren’t all Dads the same? We get to the summit. I ask Dad what the white rectangles are for. He says they mark a trail to the other mountains we can see. We take pictures and rest a while. Then troop climbs back down toward the campground.

Most Appalachian Trail hikers recall the first time they stepped on the trail. It’s different for everyone. For some hikers, it doesn’t happen until they take that first step on Springer Mountain. Others recall vacations to the Shenandoahs or maybe a picnic at a state park through which the trail is routed. Mine was as a twelve-year old, excited to be going with his Scout trip on a trip to New Hampshire.

It was not until ten years later that I learned what those white rectangles were. More importantly, I learned what they mean. Those white rectangles mean more than just markings for a long footpath. They mark a trail that can capture a person’s imagination, that make a twelve-year-old wonder, and dream and get excited about being on a mountain. That memory can last, and, when that twelve-year-old grows up, he still wonders and dreams and gets excited about being on a mountain.

I never forgot the trip. My hiking was dormant and I did not go backpacking until I was 22. But I never forgot that trip to Mt. Lafeyette. From that one trip, I can honestly say everything about my life is much different than if I had not gone.

In 1996, I did my first backpacking trip. Became lost, had too much gear. Loved it anyway.

That year, I was doing much solo backpacking in NH. I saw a late-season NoBo. I mentioned how envious I was of him and that I did not want to go back to civilization.

He looked at me. Pointed his hiking stick to the mountains around us and said "THIS is civilization". He then pointed to a nearby road and said "THAT lead to chaos".

How true.

Smile
09-21-2007, 12:32
--------------------------wrong thread, sorry about that!

gsingjane
09-21-2007, 12:53
I am so heartened to see how many posters on this thread first had their outdoors exposure via Scouts. I wish all the experiences had been great and positive, but I guess that would be too much to hope for.

I came by my love of the outdoors, unsurprisingly, via Girl Scouts. I grew up in a small, 3-bedroom house with FOUR younger brothers, so going off to Girl Scout camp in the summer was a giant luxury (and a step up in accommodations!). Although we didn't do backpacking per se, we did long hikes and multi-day canoe trips. This always felt like something special for me, although it got put on hold for many years for career, kids, education and the like. I got back into it through the process of becoming a Girl Scout leader myself and taking kids out, and then wanting to do more and more with it. Now I see myself as a real evangelist for bringing the outdoor experience to kids - I organize camporees, take kids on trips as often as their sports schedules allow, get kids out hiking after school, pretty much everything I can. Lots of kids' parents are either too busy or not inclined to get them outdoors, so when we can get out with the girls, gosh, it's all good.

Jane in CT

rafe
09-21-2007, 16:31
I was a cub scout and then a boy scout briefly, but it didn't do much for me. My dad loved mountains and took us skiing and on day hikes -- but never camping.

1975 or so, summer before senior year of college in Rochester, NY. Some roomates invited me along on a weekend jaunt to the Whites. We climbed Moosilauke on Saturday, did a loop over the Franconia Ridge on Sunday. I was hooked. That hike had a lot to do with my decision to move to the Boston area after graduating.

The Whites became my summer playground. In winter, I'd ski, all over new England. I probably skied on some flakes that Lone Wolf helped produce, at Jay Peak.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 16:34
I probably skied on some flakes that Lone Wolf helped produce, at Jay Peak.

me and gypsy recently hiked over jay peak. blue-blazed up a ski slope and found TONS of wild strawberries

Kerosene
09-21-2007, 21:23
Boy Scout Troop 242, New Monmouth, New Jersey. Three of us decided to move beyond the weekend camping trips to try backpacking on the AT in New Jersey. For some reason my mom agreed to let a 15-year old go out with his two friends for a week (it was 1973).

We went out for 3 spring breaks in a row during high school, and then I went on to hike another 300 miles in the 70's. The Trail never left my memory, and I started again in earnest in 2000.

Whenever I return from a week in the woods, my wife always comments on how much more relaxed I look.

hacksaw
09-21-2007, 21:45
Boy Scouts, Blood Mtn., November 1962. That hooked me.
USMC, !st RTB to Elliots Beach and back Parris Island, SC, Camp LeJeune, NC. Camp Pendleton, CA. 1966/67. Those made me question my sanity.
After 2 trips to RVN, 1970 to present it's been mostly all over North Georgia, Springer to Damascus VA in Y2K. What it does for me I like to call theraputic relaxation.

Lugnut
09-21-2007, 22:51
I started to get away from my now ex-wife. It worked!

mts4602
09-21-2007, 23:50
I've never really paid attention to whether I'm more relaxed after a hike or trip...haven't really done enough trips to actaully know. But since I've been diagnosed with anxiety problems maybe I'll try and pay attention more and see how I feel afterwards. Interesting to say the least...

Hopefully going to the smokies in two weeks!!!

fredmugs
07-02-2012, 08:01
My ex-wife got me involved with a trip to Colorado with her boss and his best friend. The next year we did the AT in Georgia and I decided on that trip to get divorced. I kept hiking the AT because it was a challenge to keep me in shape. It took 9 years to section hike all of it and now I'm starting on the PCT.