PDA

View Full Version : Vibram FiveFingers

oreotragus
09-20-2007, 17:05
Has anyone hiked in Vibram FiveFingers?

www.vibramfivefingers.com (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com)

I saw an ad for them in Backpacker and looked em up. I think they look pretty neat and innovative. The website says they can be used for hiking (light trekking), but I wondered if anyone here at WB ever has?

I want to get some regardless. I bet you get all kinds of crazy looks. :cool:

jnetx
09-20-2007, 18:59
not tried them myself, but I was on a Grand Canyon raft trip last year that took lots of geology side hikes and there was a woman wore these for the rafting and all the hiking. She seemed pretty comforatble in them on rocks, etc.

Moon Monster
09-20-2007, 22:12
Yes, but only for 10-15 miles worth so far, over about 3 different hikes. Someday, I'll put them more backpacking tests and post a report, but for now I can just say that they are quite an experience. I have the style with the top strap. It really does feel closer to barefooting than anything could. I immediately felt bold enough to walk on anything, although small rocks can poke enough to be uncomfortable. All my instincts were there as far as not stubbing a toe, but I found myself always looking straight down. For those 10+ miles, I had to force myself to glance up once in a while so as not to miss the scenes. They are incredibly light and would serve as excellent camp shoes. My feet sweat a lot in them--they do not breathe. My callouses looked like I'd been in the pool for an hour. This actually led to some irritation. I got dirt between all my toes, and some of it chaffed. The sole is cut for toe articulation, but it is thin and does not wrap up in between, so any moisture, even on sand or soft dirt, will be wicked up inside next to the sweat. I actually wanted the toes to be less rigid so I could wrap them over rocks for grip like you'd do when barefoot. But, my toes are not strong enough to bend the rubber. Another interesting effect is feeling short. I'm not used to walking outside at my natural height. It makes a noticeable difference--a whole new perspective on things. I found fit to be very difficult. I sent one pair back to get a bigger size, but I think I need two different sizes, one for each foot. Not many of us have identical length feet, and since they fit snug on each toe. I went up one step from where the online sizing chart suggests. Still, my toes are always jammed to the front and my heel does not fill in the backs.

Maddog
03-05-2009, 02:41
i just got some for my 2010 thru, i love'em!!!

A New Convert
03-05-2009, 02:56
Have the classics. You may want to look into the KSO's if you are going to use them for hiking. Kso's have material that covers the entire foot. Also if you get some injinji toe socks and size the shoes a couple sizes large you may prevent some foot irritation.

They are silly comfortable after your feet and legs get used to them. Takes a couple days to a week to really start to get used to them.

BC

drastic_quench
03-05-2009, 06:56
I had a pair of KSOs. I too had to send them back to adjust the size. Make sure you use their measurement chart if you're buying online.

You'll have to allow your feet time to toughen in different places if you want to hike in them - like in between each toe. It's not the same as having your feet hiking boot tough (heels and balls of the foot). I would not put them on for the first time at Springer.

They are as close to barefoot as you can get - which feels nice, but there's nothing there to prevent stubbing your toes. As a consequence, you become much more alert about your footfalls - just as much as it you were going barefoot. Some people find this really appealing because it "grounds them". But it does make mindless trudging nearly impossible on rough terrain. That could be a big minus when you just want to get the last few miles over with and eat dinner.

I do think they allow the muscles in your feet to get more of a workout/ do the job they were evolved to do. Over a long hike, this could be beneficial.

Valentine
03-05-2009, 09:13
I would Try a pair of Keen sandals first. I have hiked, biked and run in Keen Sandals and love their support. Probaly less sweaty and irritating than the "five fingers"

Frick Frack
03-05-2009, 09:18
We saw a NOBO in the 100 Mile Wilderness who was finishing his hike after wearing those things most of the way (I think his trail name was Bear Foot).

take-a-knee
03-05-2009, 11:14
Crossfitters swear by those things for their workouts (weights, gymnastics, sprints etc). Their is no way I'd try to carry a pack wearing them.

timebreaks
03-05-2009, 19:50
If you can go to a store and try them on, you should - they seem to be made on a men's last and they didn't fit my girly feet at all!

One of my instructors uses them (he's how I found out about them), and he did mention that it took a while for his feet and legs to get used to wearing them.

jpelaston
03-06-2009, 13:58
I saw these at the Adventure Summit in Dayton OH a few weeks back and I am really interested in trying them out. Mostly for camp shoes and for wearing while kayaking though.