PDA

View Full Version : The hornets fell in love with my tarp

pyroman53
09-20-2007, 19:09
On a recent section hike in GA one night I had about 30 hornets swarming around the grommet in my silnylon tarp, at the apex of one end of the a-frame setup. Not sure what it was about. They acted like they were entering a hive through the grommet, then they'd fly out, circle a few times, and enter again. Since this is where the seam is, there's SilNet on the seam. There was also some nylon cord through the grommet tying the tarp to a tree. Only way to get rid of em was to wait till dark (I figured they navigate with the sun so they go home at dark), and they were back at first light the next morning. Fortunately I took the tarp down before they woke up enough to really get organized.

While it was great entertainment on an otherwise quiet evening, the few hornet stings weren't all that fun. I'm just putting this out to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Appalachian Tater
09-20-2007, 20:06
No, I have a TarpTent with netting so insects can't get in. Several times the outside was covered with slugs in the morning and I was really glad they weren't all over me. It's also nice lying there going to sleep listening to all the biting insects that can't get to you. Sometimes you do get a gnat or two sneaking in before you zip up but they are easily dispatched.

Lilred
09-20-2007, 23:42
I have Silnet on my tarptent and have never had a problem with attracting insects. Could you have had something in your tent that might have attracted them? Sweet or flowery smelling things?

pyroman53
09-21-2007, 08:34
Could you have had something in your tent that might have attracted them? Sweet or flowery smelling things?

Nope. The tarp was open and they weren't interested in anything but that grommet. If they wanted anything inside, they could have just flown in right through the huge opening. Weird huh!

Lilred
09-21-2007, 18:15
Nope. The tarp was open and they weren't interested in anything but that grommet. If they wanted anything inside, they could have just flown in right through the huge opening. Weird huh!

That is weird. Maybe they were playing some kind of game? I swear sometimes birds and squirrels are playing chicken with cars, darting out in front of me as I drive down the road....... maybe they were seeing who could climb in and out before being swatted. LOL OK so I'm a looney tune.:D