PDA

View Full Version : Long underwear...

Flinx
09-20-2007, 21:09
Where do you find your best deals on base layers and long underwear? What online store or shop do you go to first when you are in business for it? I trust you guys to steer me in the right direction...i really don't know much about it living on the Gulf Coast! any advice would be appreciated....what to look for, what's overpriced or not needed.

BTW...i will be doing a section hike this november in Ga....Amicalola to Neels Gap.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2007, 21:11
www.campmor.com

SGT Rock
09-20-2007, 21:18
I like surplus polypro. Cheap and effective.

Appalachian Tater
09-20-2007, 21:18
Yup. But a knit wool shirt with a button neck is pretty handy and this is the time of year you can get them at TJ Max for $20.

Lyle
09-20-2007, 21:23
K-Mart PolyPro
Gander Mountain Duofold

Both cheap and servicable.

FanaticFringer
09-20-2007, 21:25
Walmart will have some nice thermals in their hunting dept. this coming deer season.

FanaticFringer
09-20-2007, 21:27
www.sierratradingpost.com
www.steepandcheap.com

mweinstone
09-20-2007, 21:29
lonewolf says victoria secret has the softest for his sensitive behind. i agree.

FanaticFringer
09-20-2007, 21:35
lonewolf says victoria secret has the softest for his sensitive behind. i agree.

I just had a bad visual........:eek:

dixicritter
09-20-2007, 21:51

I just had a bad visual........:eek:

:eek: Ohhhh me too :eek:

I shop where Rock shops btw.

Flinx
09-20-2007, 22:00
I like surplus polypro. Cheap and effective.
Any particular site you buy from?

Lone Wolf
09-20-2007, 22:06
www.theunderwearguys.com

Flinx
09-20-2007, 22:07
Walmart will have some nice thermals in their hunting dept. this coming deer season.
I will peruse that this weekend...i'm thinking hunting gear should be hitting the shelves here shortly.

Flinx
09-20-2007, 22:08
www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com)
Thanks...i looked at that site last year and have forgot about it :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
09-20-2007, 22:14
I just drive down to the surplus store.

Nightwalker
09-20-2007, 22:40
Any particular site you buy from?

Those come from the Army-Navy store, generally. There are grays and tans. I like the grays.

The Wal-Mart ones are dual layer Wool and polypro. Warm but heavy.

Frosty
09-20-2007, 23:02
www.theunderwearguys.comHunter orange fleece thongs? I wonder if they sell many of these...

Bare Bear
09-20-2007, 23:05
I know it sounds dumb ( and trust me it looked dumb too) BUT in 2006 I took a dive skin (all poly, skin tight, long sleeves) and it worked great. Even on sleet driven rainy days it kept me drier and warm. I wore it 24/7 for a few of the 25F days/nights and was comfortable with outer clothes too of course. The only problem was you had to take it off to do your business. Mine had a zipper that only came down to waist so it made peeing difficult. Divers Outlet in Miami Fl is the cheapest I have found. ($25 one piece)
It is a lot lighter than the poly-pro long johns I had started to take and WEIGHT IS EVERYTHING if you are going to make it. Good luck.
OK Jack, LW, etc. go ahead and have your fun now, I can take it.

Skidsteer
09-20-2007, 23:12

I will peruse that this weekend...i'm thinking hunting gear should be hitting the shelves here shortly.

Last year they had some silver-impregnated thermals that weighed pretty stinkin' close to the same as Capilene lightweights. 'Cept they didn't stink as bad and they were cheap.

I wore them for work all last winter and loved them. No reason to buy Capilene, IMO, when you can get stuff like that for $15.00

Jim Adams
09-20-2007, 23:20
I have used Lifa polypro, doufold, capilene,TNF, surplus and generic but although I HATE the cost, SmartWool is in so much more of a class by itself that it is hard to neat.

geek

Flinx
09-20-2007, 23:28
Last year they had some silver-impregnated thermals that weighed pretty stinkin' close to the same as Capilene lightweights. 'Cept they didn't stink as bad and they were cheap.

I wore them for work all last winter and loved them. No reason to buy Capilene, IMO, when you can get stuff like that for $15.00

I will keep a lookout for them...do you remember the brand name by chance?

Flinx
09-20-2007, 23:31
I know it sounds dumb ( and trust me it looked dumb too) BUT in 2006 I took a dive skin (all poly, skin tight, long sleeves) and it worked great.

hmmm...never thought of that....may be too warm for GA. though.

Skidsteer
09-20-2007, 23:40
I will keep a lookout for them...do you remember the brand name by chance?

Indera (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=279725&highlight=wal-mart#post279725) or something close to that.

Flinx
09-20-2007, 23:56
Indera (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=279725&highlight=wal-mart#post279725) or something close to that.

Hey..thanks for that link :)

mudhead
09-21-2007, 05:22
If you need tall sizing:

Varitherm.

LLbean Powerdry.

Land's End Thermaskin.

The last two are not as good as say ten years ago, but they fit me so...

When I can find Powerstretch in a tall size, I will spend the money.

Jim Adams
09-21-2007, 08:54
I do have doufold with silver woven in and although they do work well and do not retain odors, they just aren't as comfortable as the smartwool.

geek

-SEEKER-
09-21-2007, 08:55
www.Dresswelloutdoors.com

Nightwalker
09-21-2007, 10:49
I'm extremely fond of my Capilene lightweights. They make an excellent base layer, and are warmer than they seem they should be, while being comfy at higher temps as well.

Since they changed from Silkweight through Heavyweight to 1 through 4 as a weight system, Capilene has put the colloidal silver threads in. I'm looking forward to trying those, but not until my old ones wear out. I've had them for over 2 years and they're still like new. Some things are worth the extra money!

mudhead
09-21-2007, 10:57
www.Dresswelloutdoors.com

Wouldn't I like to try some of that stuff on! Prices nice, too.

Frosty
09-21-2007, 13:11
If you need tall sizing:

Varitherm.

LLbean Powerdry.

Land's End Thermaskin.

The last two are not as good as say ten years ago, but they fit me so...

When I can find Powerstretch in a tall size, I will spend the money.Thanks, I'll check them out.

JAK
09-21-2007, 13:18
I wouldn't suggest a special trip :)
but if you are ever driving to Halifax Nova Scotia, or flying in and renting a car, you should definitely check out the Stanfield's Underwear Factory Outlet in Truro Nova Scotia. They have lots of there fleece and wool seconds and surplus. It's a real factory outlet, at a real factory. They make some brand names in the states you might be familiar with, but all their stuff is good.

http://www.stanfields.com/factoryoutlet/outlet.html

onetrack
12-01-2007, 14:12
I posted this yesterday.
Discount at dresswell.com
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30193

Smile
12-01-2007, 17:02
Has anybody tried UnderArmor, or this just too heavy for spring hiking?

I saw some today at a store, and looked really great for sleepwear or extra layer wear if the weather got really nasty. :)

mudhead
12-01-2007, 18:39
Tights?

Smile
12-01-2007, 18:44
Shirt and they have pants/tights too I guess.

mudhead
12-01-2007, 18:57
Tights are warmer than Capilene, shed wind and rain.

Capilene under wind pants are warmer.

I would not want to hang out in the tights. Or sleep.

Just me.

I think the Hind products are as good if not better. Girls like the logo, however.

Shirts don't fit me so I can't help there.

JAK
12-01-2007, 23:03
I've recently picked up some fine threaded polyester long underwear. It was on sale and appears to be good quality, and was black which is a good colour for winter I think. The downside is that it does seem a bit on the heavy side for a skin layer; 8oz pants and I think the tops are 10oz. I think a synthetic or silk skin layer should be have that. Wool can afford to be a bit heavier, for winter. Anyhow I will use them for day hikes and downhill skiing and shovelling snow if nothing else.

I got XLarge though, and I am going to see how they work as a mid-layer OVER my wool skin layers. I have switched over the past few years from wool over synthetic to synthetic over wool. I think I will find these polyester underwear redundant though. At 8oz or 10oz I think a midlayer should be looser and fluffier that these are, as in 100wt fleece.

wtmntcaretaker
12-01-2007, 23:11
if you like wool you might whant to look at icebreaker products. I dont know if anyone mentioned them yet but wicked nice stuff!

Landshark
12-01-2007, 23:57
I recommend TJ Maxx also, if you have one near you. Sometimes the long underwear is hard to find in there. It is sometimes hanging on the end of an aisle or on shelves somewhere...(as opposed to someplace you'd expect, like near the underwear or near the pajamas). I got a nice set of Columbia brand long underwear at TJ Maxx last winter.