PDA

View Full Version : looking good

reeree123
09-20-2007, 21:21
ok girls, it may sound silly, but how important is fashion on the trail?

dixicritter
09-20-2007, 21:54
Not important to me.

Jan LiteShoe
09-20-2007, 22:02
Well, you FEEL beautiful on the trail.
The mirror may tell another tale.
;-)

sarbar
09-20-2007, 22:59
;-)

That says it soooo well :D

You either are a Princess or a hiker. Some look better than others. Mileage may vary. lol....

Seriously, none of my clothes look good when out there (oh they look good when NEW) but after a day or two are filthy and stink. My hair gets snarls, I slap a hat or bandana on top. Brushing my teeth is about the only grooming I do out there.

But hey, by all means, feel free to carry an outfit for every day along with makeup :D Just no whining when the pack gets heavy!:banana

mindi
09-21-2007, 00:37
I didn't give a crap out there, and I even had my boyfriend with me. I guess when everyone else is dirty and smelly you just stop caring after a while!
I did have my mom send me a new pair of shorts after a couple of months, though. The ones I started with were light blue, and the butt just looked horrid after sitting in the dirt for months, even after washing. I switched to black shorts. Other than that, I didn't give a crap. I brushed my hair and teeth every night and threw my hat on during the day with my hair up in it. I kept one darker colored shirt to wear when hitchhiking.

gsingjane
09-21-2007, 07:28
I carry a brush that has a tiny mirror in the handle, just so I can take a peek at myself once in a while and make sure the resemblance to Grizzly Adams isn't getting TOO strong. Also, I do like to wear the hiking clothes that I think are at least a little bit flattering, but it is more a question of how they make me feel rather than how they make me look (IOW if they weren't comfortable, I wouldn't wear them). My teenage daughter, OTOH, will happily grow dreadlocks, never change her shirt OR her pants, and generally get just as grungy as the guys, which is pretty grungy!

Jane in CT

gumball
09-21-2007, 21:15
I can't imagine thinking too much about my appearance, especially on those 80 and 90 degree days--you know, when you are just starting back out after a day off for a shower and you smell like piggie-poo after the first 15 minutes of your climbing back up the trail :) Gosh, I really have come to love that! So, I don't worry about fashion. I like to brush my teeth alot, b/c its about the only thing I know I can keep clean while I'm hiking. As for my clothes...I wear what is comfortable.

Red Hat
09-24-2007, 16:56
I am always a Red Hat Queen when I hike. I may look like hiker trash, but I feel great! My hair is usually in shaggy braids. My clothes are pretty dirty. My nails, well, just say they're nails, not a manicure... But as long as I'm wearing my purple and red, I'm a queen!

Brrrb Oregon
09-24-2007, 17:04
I like to look good enough that pictures taken aren't too embarrassing. I don't mind pictures that come back looking like, "Oh, there you are, out hiking." I would rather avoid, "Wow, you really used to let yourself go back then, didn't you?" :D

loadoffannie
09-24-2007, 22:52
;-)

lol, soooooo true. if i feel good, though, i stop being self-conscious about my appearence. embrace your dirty smelly self!

Miu
09-24-2007, 23:07
Do you feel safer hitchhiking when you look like crap?

shelterbuilder
09-24-2007, 23:38
I carry a brush that has a tiny mirror in the handle, just so I can take a peek at myself once in a while and make sure the resemblance to Grizzly Adams isn't getting TOO strong. Also, I do like to wear the hiking clothes that I think are at least a little bit flattering, but it is more a question of how they make me feel rather than how they make me look (IOW if they weren't comfortable, I wouldn't wear them). My teenage daughter, OTOH, will happily grow dreadlocks, never change her shirt OR her pants, and generally get just as grungy as the guys, which is pretty grungy!Jane in CT

Several good compasses incorporate a mirror into their sighting system - check the ones made by Silva.

Brrrb Oregon
09-25-2007, 00:14
Do you feel safer hitchhiking when you look like crap?

I wouldn't want to look as if no one in the world would notice I was missing, no.

Dancer
09-25-2007, 05:31
I try to stay as presentable as possible. I carry deodorant, wetones and campsoap for freshening up. This can help keep the funk factor down somewhat but if you are sweating and in the same clothes day in and day out then eventually you are going to start to smell.

Warning: The following is REALLY for women only!

Pantyliners can help keep panties bearable in you have to be in them for extended amounts of time. I know, I know.... who wears panties on the trail? I do. My Mama would kick my butt from Maine to Georgia if she ever found out that I left the house without panties on! : ) That's one lesson that has stayed with me.

AW

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-25-2007, 06:17
I have a tiny signal mirror that I use to check how closely I resemble the wild critters :D. I have a tiny comb. Alcohol Gel on the pits daily really helps. I also carry a 6" x 6" piece of microfiber cloth - the kind you use to clean the house. It and a bit of water with alcohol gel or soap at the end of the day works wonders on how you smell and feel. Another option is the dry baby washcloths that already have soap - just add water. For teeth, I use a finger toothbrush (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001723.php) (designed to clean your dog's teeth and found in pet supplies) and baking soda. A tip - when in town buy a box of baking soda to replinish your tooth care supply and add the rest of the box to the washer when you wash your clothes - works wonders on hiker funk.

Blissful
09-25-2007, 09:07
I try to stay as presentable as possible. I carry deodorant, wetones and campsoap for freshening up. This can help keep the funk factor down somewhat but if you are sweating and in the same clothes day in and day out then eventually you are going to start to smell.

Warning: The following is REALLY for women only!

Pantyliners can help keep panties bearable in you have to be in them for extended amounts of time. I know, I know.... who wears panties on the trail? I do. My Mama would kick my butt from Maine to Georgia if she ever found out that I left the house without panties on! : ) That's one lesson that has stayed with me.

AW

I used pantyliners every day (had them in maildrops) and only wore two pair of underwear on the trail - that way my third I used in town after my shower instead of going underwearless while my clothes were being washed. I also used a pair of cotton underwear in my sleeping bag.

A smartwool shirt is a GREAT product for keeping down odors. I didn't wear deodorant. And I never had time in camp to freshen up, to be honest. No one cared anyway. Everyone is dirty and smelly. It was enough for me at night to make camp, get the tent up and cook dinner before heading for bed. I sent all my Oil of Olay face wipes home. Never used them. And in trail towns, they are used to odor filled hikers off the trail until you get a shower, even hitchhiking (the FIRST thing I get in town is my shower! Not food). Townspeople are great and so accommodating.

quasarr
09-26-2007, 13:01

In my experience deodorant, soap & the rest only serve to attract critters and add pack weight. Everyone in the woods stinks! Not having to worry about how I look & smell is one of my favorite things about hiking. :)

My pot windscreen is pretty reflective. I've been known to check for a "dirt mustache" at the end of the day, and scrub it off if need be. :) Also if it's hot out I'll take a soapless bath in a stream using a bandanna to scrub off.

Country Roads
09-29-2007, 19:02
I like my black T-shirt, it doesn't show dirt...much, but is hotter. I use a bandana on really hot days and a mesh cap in town (until I can clean up). I do try to find a place to rinse out my shorts and shirt once in a while.
If you are prone to heat rash in sensitive places, Sportslik is really great stuff (my friends call it crease grease), 'cause it is hard to look good when heat rash is making you walk funny.
A friend and I walked about 32 miles of the AT this week, then caught the shuttle bus from Harpers Ferry to the National Park Parking area. The bus driver asked us to ride in the back of the bus, and we were the only 2 passengers! I guess you can get a pretty good funk going in only three days, but in our defense, it was pretty hot and not a lot of water to be found.

frieden
10-01-2007, 22:04
I don't worry about it on the trail, but think about it in towns. A shower is the first thing on my mind.

Swass
10-07-2007, 12:56
A tip - when in town buy a box of baking soda to replinish your tooth care supply and add the rest of the box to the washer when you wash your clothes - works wonders on hiker funk.

That's a great tip!

Smile
10-07-2007, 13:07
It really doesn't matter, you are who you are - showered, primped, sprayed or painted.

Hiking gives everyone a chance to be themselves :)