PDA

View Full Version : Trailplace, Handbook May Live On After All

Pages : [1] 2

Skyline
09-21-2007, 11:15
Just saw this posted at the top of Trailplace.com. It would seem that both the website and the Thru-hikers Handbook may live on in a second incarnation.

"I have found a highly qualified individual from the A.T. community who wants to continue updating and publishing The Thru-hiker's Handbook on an annual basis and who also wants to revive the Trailplace.com website as a place for good hiking information in an online environment of courtesy to others and respect for the wilderness values of the Trail. This means that there will be a 2008 edition of the Handbook after all, with a new, younger editor who I believe will be able to do an even better job with that publication than I have done over the years. Complete details will be announced in early October, so stay tuned!--Wingfoot "

Smile
09-21-2007, 11:17
No surpise.

:)

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 11:24
Like you didn't see that coming.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 11:25
Told ya.

The Weasel

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 11:33
Just saw this posted at the top of Trailplace.com. It would seem that both the website and the Thru-hikers Handbook may live on in a second incarnation.

"I have found a highly qualified individual from the A.T. community who wants to continue updating and publishing The Thru-hiker's Handbook on an annual basis and who also wants to revive the Trailplace.com website as a place for good hiking information in an online environment of courtesy to others and respect for the wilderness values of the Trail. This means that there will be a 2008 edition of the Handbook after all, with a new, younger editor who I believe will be able to do an even better job with that publication than I have done over the years. Complete details will be announced in early October, so stay tuned!--Wingfoot "

I am that highly qualified individual.

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 11:33
Sorry, didn't realize this was "straight forward"

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 11:39

Are you serious about that, or are you spoofing us?

The Weasel

Mags
09-21-2007, 11:50
There is a long history of Wingfoot saying "I quit" and then starting up over again.

Lots of guidebooks now for the trail it seems.

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 11:52
Are you serious about that, or are you spoofing us?

The Weasel

Sorry, to echo the PM i just sent...Yes, I am spoofing. Sorry, it's a slow day at the office. Again, I didn't realize it was straight forward.

I have a sneaking suspicion as to who it might be. Jester, you got anything to say?

Johnny

Nightwalker
09-21-2007, 12:05

Congratulations. I hope that it goes well for you, and realize that the nay-sayers that you see posting about it are the loud minority, not the silent majority.

This is only from personal experience talking to folks on the trail, not some scientific experiment. :)

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 13:32
Congratulations. I hope that it goes well for you, and realize that the nay-sayers that you see posting about it are the loud minority, not the silent majority.

This is only from personal experience talking to folks on the trail, not some scientific experiment. :)

JT: TOLD you people were gonna take it seriously. NW, he was jerking our chain.

TW

Sly
09-21-2007, 13:36
I have a sneaking suspicion as to who it might be.

Johnny

10 to 1 it's WF himself.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 13:58
10 to 1 it's WF himself.

Make that 1000:1 and I'll take a piece of the action, maybe a dime's worth.

TW

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 14:00
10 to 1 it's WF himself.

So, Wingfoot's cloned himself into a younger editor?

What Would Jester Do?

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 14:03
So this is like the whole New Coke thing?

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 14:06
Move from straight forward to here because it wasn't really a question/answer post.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 14:07
What we'll find is that WF has gotten someone who will do what he tells him to (he hopes), until he doesn't, at which point it will collapse again. Print this out, put it in a mayo jar and bury it under Blood Mountain Shelter. Open it in 2 years. I'll give a buck to who ever digs it up if I'm wrong, and an apology here.

If I'm right, we can have another wake here for TP.

TW

thestin
09-21-2007, 14:39
I see that the "Wingfoot Farewell Party" has been pushed back to October 15th.

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 14:41
Move from straight forward to here because it wasn't really a question/answer post.

In which case...I am that qualified, talented individual.

Johnny

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 14:43
I wonder what your talents are? Did you have to audition in person?

CaseyB
09-21-2007, 14:55

Even this noob knows what that meant.:eek:

Sly
09-21-2007, 15:00

And I would have bet that meant the humor forum. :(

saimyoji
09-21-2007, 15:05

More to the point, were knee pads a requirement to audition?

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 15:24
Nope, just had to watch "Sparticus" a few times. WF is a big Kirk Douglass fan.

Roland
09-21-2007, 15:25
More to the point, were knee pads a requirement to audition?

That's a low blow.

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 15:26
Actually I thought he like Lawrence of Arabia

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 15:28
Nope, just had to watch "Sparticus" a few times. WF is a big Kirk Douglass fan.

he really likes "Lawrence of Arabia". it's what he and young hikers would watch most nites at his "center". it's what i was told

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 15:31
WF: "Tell me, have you ever been in a cockpit before?"
Johnny: "No sir. I've never been in a plane before...not sure why you'd ask that."
WF: "Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"
Johnny: "errrr"
WF: "Johnny, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Rock. See? It was Sparticus.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 16:16
And such things have what to do with TrailPlace? I sort of think these posts are a bit offensive, and hope they stop. I don't particularly respect Dan, but I think the posters know they are at, or a bit past, the line here. Please.

TW

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 16:29
My point is qualifications when it comes to wingfoot have more to do with kissing his ass than with actual qualifications.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 16:30
and really did watch movies with male hikers late at night. lighten up weasel

Just a Hiker
09-21-2007, 16:36
So this is like the whole New Coke thing?

I hated New Coke....'85 was a bad year! Sorry....I'll go take my meds now.

Just Jim

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 16:38
My point is qualifications when it comes to wingfoot have more to do with kissing his ass than with actual qualifications.

THAT point I agree with.

TW

Johnny Thunder
09-21-2007, 16:47
And one of those movies might have been film clasic, "Airplane". I'm just saying.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 16:50
You said it already. So you don't need to again. LW, I'm not going to lighten up; I don't particularly enjoy defending WF but this isn't the way White Blaze, as a forum, has ever been.

TW

grizzlyadam
09-21-2007, 17:02
you all are a bunch of **** talking jackasses

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 17:10
Yes, but the cool thing is you get to say that here and get away with it.;)

max patch
09-21-2007, 17:19
I don't particularly enjoy defending WF but this isn't the way White Blaze, as a forum, has ever been.

TW

Sure it is. Mention WF and out come the haters. Happens every time.

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 17:22
I am afraid Max is right. Wingfoot doesn't get much respect with this crowd.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 17:23
That's fine. With much of this crowd, me included, he has lost most of the regard he had. But still, private lives should be off limits.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 17:31

thank you. thank you very much. i wrote the book on poop talkin' :)

rafe
09-21-2007, 17:37
thank you. thank you very much. i wrote the book on poop talkin' :)

I ran into Heald in Shenandoah. He called you the king of the one-liners. ;)

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 17:40
But still, private lives should be off limits.

TW

then he shouldn't have made his big announcement back in 92 at rusty's

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 17:42
then he shouldn't have made his big announcement back in 92 at rusty's

What happens at Rusty's, stays at Rusty's.

TW

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 17:43
I think Weasel's point is he can be an arrogant drama king no matter what he does in his personal life.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 17:43
What happens at Rusty's, stays at Rusty's.

TW

not so. i know too much

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 17:44
I think Weasel's point is he can be an arrogant drama king no matter what he does in his personal life.

I think you left out some adjectives, Rock, but your conclusion is correct.

TW

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 17:46
Well I was trying to leave his personal life out of it - hence my choice of words.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 17:46
not so. i know too much

And, despite the persona you try to groom here, Wolf, people know (took me a while to realize it, so sorry for some of the things I've said over time) that you're a pretty decent human being and wouldn't do hurtful things.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 21:21
rumor on trailjournals is AWOL is taking over wingfoot's book

dixicritter
09-21-2007, 21:31
You poop stirrer you... lol

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 21:34
You poop stirrer you... lol

no. serious. was just posted over there. www.trailjournals.com go to forums and click on wingfoot redux

MOWGLI
09-21-2007, 21:35

I hear it includes a chapter by Warren on how to evade paying user fees. :eek:

That's not stirring. That's frappeing!!

dixicritter
09-21-2007, 21:39
no. serious. was just posted over there. www.trailjournals.com go to forums and click on wingfoot redux

Sorry about that. Wow, the things folks come up with huh? ;)

Skidsteer
09-21-2007, 21:39
no. serious. was just posted over there. www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) go to forums and click on wingfoot redux

'Tis true:

Wingfoot redux
This might be old news, but I heard yesterday from a local hostel owner that AWOL is taking over Wingfoot's book and will be updating and putting it out.

Still just hearsay at this point though.

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 21:42
I hear it includes a chapter by Warren on how to evade paying user fees. :eek:

That's not stirring. That's frappeing!!
I hear the new title is "Steal This Book" which is printed in bold letters on the cover.

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 22:02
I just found a copy. Nice new green cover. I think that picture of Warren must be old.

Skidsteer
09-21-2007, 22:03
I just found a copy. Nice new green cover. I think that picture of Warren must be old.

Snort, choke, LOL. :D

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 22:09
I have a sneaking suspicion as to who it might be. Jester, you got anything to say?

Johnny

I have to say that's preposterous, making it the best kind of rumor to start. But I'm neither qualified nor do I share most of Dan's philosophies. Plus, hiking's for suckers.

. . .Print this out, put it in a mayo jar and bury it under Blood Mountain Shelter. Open it in 2 years. I'll give a buck to who ever digs it up if I'm wrong, and an apology here.

If that person eats the mayo, I'll give them five bucks.

Lugnut
09-21-2007, 23:29

AWOL just posted on TJ that he is NOT taking over the handbok. Back to you Jester. :eek:

Heater
09-22-2007, 00:57

Low blow. :eek:

Heater
09-22-2007, 00:59
That's a low blow.

Huh? ...... :D:D

CaseyB
09-22-2007, 04:05
Those last two posts left me as confused as a 19-year-old boy at Rusty's;)

DavidNH
09-22-2007, 09:04
WOW. we already got four pages of empty rehtoric about trailplace.com revival. Wonder how far you guys will take tihs?

How bout we just say great that the site is being revived. Hope whoever takes it up will have a new and improved trailplace with all the info, more openness but as much respect.

david

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-22-2007, 10:02
So, is this WF incognito (again :rolleyes: ) or did someone actually buy that site? No offense intended to those who liked TP, but the site was quite overpriced for the amount of traffic it had.

Appalachian Tater
09-22-2007, 10:16
It's really amazing how a bunch of middle-aged men snicker and make little remarks ininsuating that Dan Bruce is homosexual on a hiking website where people are not known for pulling punches. I would have expected {more colorful terms for gay men} right off the bat.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-22-2007, 10:32
I don't believe Wingfoot's sexual orientation is a secret - he announced his orientation 15 years ago at a hiker gathering and has lived openly as a gay man since. However, that has nothing to do with his ability as an author of a trail guide nor his ability to administer a web site. Joking around about sexuality is one thing (heaven knows there is plenty of it about straight sexuality), but using derogatory terms for people's race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. is quite another matter - it is not acceptable.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2007, 10:36
i ain't never heard no straight people jokes

Appalachian Tater
09-22-2007, 10:46
Joking around about sexuality is one thing (heaven knows there is plenty of it about straight sexuality), but using derogatory terms for people's race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. is quite another matter - it is not acceptable.

The junior high banter and sniggering is just as offensive (and much less mature) as more direct "derogatory terms" and that was my point.

Here, L. Wolf:

How many heterosexuals does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Just two... but the light bulb explodes after 30 seconds and the socket never gets its switch turned on.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2007, 10:49
The junior high banter and sniggering is just as offensive (and much less mature) as more direct "derogatory terms" and that was my point.

Here, L. Wolf:

How many heterosexuals does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Just two... but the light bulb explodes after 30 seconds and the socket never gets its switch turned on.

that the best you can do?
how do you give a woman an orgasm?

who cares

Appalachian Tater
09-22-2007, 10:51
that the best you can do?
how do you give a woman an orgasm?

who cares

What do you get when you cross a straight man and a straight woman?
Three kids, a mistress, and two divorce lawyers.

SGT Rock
09-23-2007, 21:59
WOW. we already got four pages of empty rehtoric about trailplace.com revival. Wonder how far you guys will take tihs?

How bout we just say great that the site is being revived. Hope whoever takes it up will have a new and improved trailplace with all the info, more openness but as much respect.

david
Doubt it if WF is in the shadows.

SGT Rock
09-23-2007, 22:05
So, is this WF incognito (again :rolleyes: ) or did someone actually buy that site? No offense intended to those who liked TP, but the site was quite overpriced for the amount of traffic it had.
Yes it was. Amazingly so. I am supprised at how many people come on here and boo hoo that it was going away and even wanted to pool money to try and keep the joint open at that price. If you think that is a good deal I have some land in Louisianna I can sell you - prime swampland at $25,000 per acer.:rolleyes:

I was amazed when someone showed us that site that rates user interest and use of web presence. I would have imagined for all the rhetoric about how good the site was for the trail and trail community it would have gotten a much higher rating. As it was even my pidley site got a higher rating. :eek:

I reckon I should sell the Hiking HQ for $50K. I am only willing to sell it to a smart ass that will not take themselves too seriously and is willing to uphold the definition of hiker as defined by whoever is hiking and not by some definition written in a book somewhere.:cool:

Pacific Tortuga
09-23-2007, 22:28

I reckon I should sell the Hiking HQ for $50K. I am only willing to sell it to a smart ass that will not take themselves too seriously and is willing to uphold the definition of hiker as defined by whoever is hiking and not by some definition written in a book somewhere.:cool:[/quote]

Sounds like a lonely wild dog in a VA. trail town. You forgot independantly well off. :)

SGT Rock
09-23-2007, 22:34
Naw, he carries too much, won't use hiking poles or a hammock, and worst of all drinks out of a Nalgen bottle.

Does that count as another "empty rehtoric" post?

Thank goodness I can make those sorts of posts on this site ;)

The Weasel
09-23-2007, 22:38
I reckon I should sell the Hiking HQ for $50K. I am only willing to sell it to a smart ass that will not take themselves too seriously and is willing to uphold the definition of hiker as defined by whoever is hiking and not by some definition written in a book somewhere.:cool:

Oh, so you're setting conditions already for "qualified", huh? Wow. Sgt. Wingfoot.

For that kind of money, we should be able to set our own definitions and not have to be limited by what hiker trash says, just because they think that actually walking the trail matters.

TW

SGT Rock
09-23-2007, 22:44
I figure if everyone thinks WF is the example of a good website and administrator around here, then his example of how to pass the batton is the SOP on how to do it.

But really, if I ever decide to bow out of HikingHQ or WhiteBlaze - I plan to GIVE it away to someone that wants to keep it going or take my end. No money down.

minnesotasmith
09-24-2007, 04:37
From www.alexa.com (http://www.alexa.com):

Trailjournals.com has a traffic rank of: 473,204

Whiteblaze.net has a traffic rank of: 565,037

Trailplace.com has a traffic rank of: 5,457,451

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 06:07
The top rank is '1' so the higher the number, the fewer visitors a site has.

mudhead
09-24-2007, 06:44
Statistics.

Right up there with golf ruining a good walk.

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 07:29

Hmmm noticed you decided not to mention that Hikinghq.net's traffic rank which is 2,652,104.

Here's the link to back it up... http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hikinghq.net

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 08:38

Good deal - trailplace went up in ranking since it closed. Wonder how they pulled that off LOL.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 08:53
new site www.trailplaces.com

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 10:54
From the front page:

Know that your comments will not be censured as they were at the original TrailPlace.com, but I do ask that you keep posts generally related to the topic and appropriate. I will notify users about posts I feel inappropriate prior to taking any action.

but that site is trailplaceS, not Dan Bruce's site, trailplace. That address has been available for quite some time.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 10:59
The new site doesn't seem to be generating much interest from the stats there:
Total Members: 27 Total Posts: 23 Total Topics: 9 Total Categories: 5 Users Online: 6

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 11:01
i checked it out. i didn't join

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:10
Well, once upon a time, WhiteBlaze started up, and it started fairly slow, too, and that was really the beginning of the demise of TrailPlace.

One thing that is commented on the new site, and which I think needs some serious consideration here, is the fact that the "non-AT" and "non-hiking" forums/threads here on WB - which were not part of it for quite a while after it began - are becoming viewed by some as a significant negative, as is some of the level of discussion in some of the "AT" and "trail" forums, when it gets out of hand, as it does more than may be realized. The "political" and "non-trail" forums seem to be increasingly the dominant areas of discussion, and I think some are seeing this as taking WB away from its AT roots. Traffic would go way down without them, but I'm not sure if that would be a bad thing.

It may be time for WB, as a community, and its Admins, as its leaders, to reflect on this.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 11:13
One thing that is commented on the new site, and which I think needs some serious consideration here, is the fact that the "non-AT" and "non-hiking" forums/threads here on WB - which were not part of it for quite a while after it began - are becoming viewed by some as a significant negative, as is some of the level of discussion in some of the "AT" and "trail" forums, when it gets out of hand, as it does more than may be realized. The "political" and "non-trail" forums seem to be increasingly the dominant areas of discussion, and I think some are seeing this as taking WB away from its AT roots. Traffic would go way down without them, but I'm not sure if that would be a bad thing.

simply choose not to go to non-hiking forums. simply choose to ignore certain posters that offend you. simple

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:25
Wolf, I know that, and so do you. But there are a couple of problems with that:

First, a lot of people when they arrive choose to explore all the forums. They see that the non-hiking forums are pretty nasty, and they see the same posters (sometimes) in the "hiking" areas and are a bit intimidated or more, or they just go away thinking this is a pretty nasty bunch of hiker trash.

Second, there is way too much "attack posting" in hiking forums (and yes, I've been in it, and it doesn't make sense trying to unscramble the egg about "who started it", since the problem is that is happens at all).

Last, I sometimes think we are drawing people to WB who may have only a small interest in backpacking and a large interest in having a 'home' where they can be 'rough and tough' in political discussions. You're in love with the AT, and so are many others in the non-hiking forums. But WB is getting a rep, I think, as a place to go to fight, not to share hiking info, as a primary focus.

What happened to TP, by being so strict, could well happen here, by being so loose.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 11:28
i am NOT in love with the AT. it's just a walking trail

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:32
Either way. You're not a 'pack sniffer'. Not even remotely. But WB may be getting a bit far afield to the point where it has more 'sniffers' who are here not about hiking but to be 'pot stirrers'.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 11:34
just ignore them. simple

the goat
09-24-2007, 11:36
But WB is getting a rep, I think, as a place to go to fight, not to share hiking info, as a primary focus.

this is merely conjecture based on your personal thoughts.

unless you took a poll of people likely to visit a hiking forum?

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:42

unless you took a poll of people likely to visit a hiking forum?

Goat, I can't quantify it, and even a poll here on WB may not be accurate, either way, because a lot of people may not vote either way. But I get a significant number of PMs - at least they are to me - about the level of turmoil here (or at least it looks like that to them) including in the "hiking" forums. And I think some of the comments of "newbies" here right after TP closed showed some shock at how "boisterous" WB is, as well as the rigor that TP showed and now the new Trailplaces mentions somewhat in keeping "inappropriate" posts down. And frankly, you and I both well know that the number of people engaging in this (including us) is small, but that it is all very visible.

So I think it's a problem, and I continue to have concerns whether it will lead people away from WB that we'd like to see here, and that we have gone to the far extreme from TP, with risks of a similar fate one day.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 11:44
sounds like you need to find another website, weasel. it seems the majority of your posts are non-hiking related

the goat
09-24-2007, 11:46
Goat, I can't quantify it

this was my point.

look, if someone comes to wb for the first time, and their skin is so thin that they get run off b/c someone named "the goat" is arguing in an internet forum with someone named "the weasel", then they've got much larger problems than needing backpacking advice.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:46
No, I like WB, and I read most of the hiking ones and comment where I may have something to say. And on a pure number basis, Wolf, you're probably the same.

But I'm not thinking of what I have to say, or where to say it, but whether WB is being helped or harmed by having a place to say everything. I don't know that it's a mistake, but I'm concerned about it for the long term health of this site.

TW

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 11:48
this was my point.

look, if someone comes to wb for the first time, and their skin is so thin that they get run off b/c someone named "the goat" is arguing in an internet forum with someone named "the weasel", then they've got much larger problems than needing backpacking advice.

Goat, those are the people we should try to keep. They're often brand new, like we were once. They are excited, very nervous, very alone in this, looking for a place to feel 'safe" as they explore the idea. Then they find out that they've walked into an internet version of a biker bar. They don't come back. Just because all of us bikers say, "Hey, glad you're here" doesn't mean that this doesn't appear to many as a bit of a scary place at times.

If you only want the hardbitten types, well, I'm not sure there's a long term future there, but maybe.

TW

the goat
09-24-2007, 11:56
Goat, those are the people we should try to keep. They're often brand new, like we were once. They are excited, very nervous, very alone in this, looking for a place to feel 'safe" as they explore the idea. Then they find out that they've walked into an internet version of a biker bar. They don't come back. Just because all of us bikers say, "Hey, glad you're here" doesn't mean that this doesn't appear to many as a bit of a scary place at times.

If you only want the hardbitten types, well, I'm not sure there's a long term future there, but maybe.

TW

i would like to reiterate:

if someone comes to wb for the first time, and their skin is so thin that

they get scared b/c someone named "the goat" is arguing in an internet

forum with someone named "the weasel", then they've got much larger

problems than needing backpacking advice.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:00
there's 14 THOUSAND members here and THOUSANDS of lurkers. this site ain't goin' nowhere. a few weenies get scared off. whoopee

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:01
i would like to reiterate:

if someone comes to wb for the first time, and their skin is so thin that

they get scared b/c someone named "the goat" is arguing in an internet

forum with someone named "the weasel", then they've got much larger

problems than needing backpacking advice.

Goat, if you're familiar with the "Cog" thread, you'll recall that Fhart and I and others were, in a hiking thread, very aggressive with each other, even before it went to the 'sensitive' area. I don't think some of the "heavy posters" here realize how violent WB is compared to other "special interest" forums, and how the "non hiking" attack threads here are uncharacteristic of such places. It turns a lot of people off. We need to consider the ramifications of that, if we care about WB as a forum.

TW

The Old Fhart
09-24-2007, 12:03
The Weasel-"...there is way too much "attack posting" in hiking forums..."A number of posters here have told you to stop it but you just won't listen.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:03
it's very good entertainment

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 12:04
Um, Weasel.

Some of the strongest posts on this Forum in recent weeks have been written by YOU.

And you're right. A lot of folks were turned off. :-?

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:10
Jack, there are 14,000 who have joined. I think the activity level here is in the hundreds, at best. You may have proven my point: Many visit, few stay. Whether it's because of behavior or other reasons, your numbers don't really support your conclusion.

And that's what I mean: So easy for you to call people names. Why do you feel the need to do that? Because you can?

You're one of the leaders of ESC, and you are - even when you and I disagree - strenuous in saying that hikers should act in a responsible manner so that they don't tarnish the community. Yet, for no reason, you refer to other people here as "weenies". That's what I mean about the perception, problem, Jack: You're highly visible, you are viewed as a leader and opinion maker, and you just bombed people a moment ago for no real good reason.

If you think that's good, long term, for WB, fine. But I hope you think about it, rather than just start namecalling because it's easy and fun.

TW

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 12:13
WhiteBlaze is a haven of intelligent discussion, peace, love, and harmony on the internet. Most forums are nothing but idiocy, racism, LOLZ, and STFUs.

Lugnut
Just looked at the trailplaces site. There is a recent post by a 'Baltimore Jaques'. An imitator or a spelling error? :-? :D

Lone Wolf
Jack, there are 14,000 who have joined. I think the activity level here is in the hundreds, at best.

Yet, for no reason, you refer to other people here as "weenies".

uh dude. you're referring my post #100

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:14
God, I love how you guys react. Rather than make something a discussion on a serious basis - you'll find no attack on either of you by me, and a recognition by me that I 'looked in the mirror' too, to keep it fair - you turn it almost immediately into 'attack mode'. That sort of proves my point.

Have a wonderful day calling names, attacking others, and doing what ever you do.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:14
Most forums are nothing but idiocy, racism, LOLZ, and STFUs.

yeah but you love it

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 12:16
Just looked at the trailplaces site. There is a recent post by a 'Baltimore Jaques'. An imitator or a spelling error? :-? :D

Mr. Tarlin wouldn't have left the "c" out of "Jacques".

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:16
Topical forums are almost never as open to the level of aggression that WB permits.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:18
Topical forums are almost never as open to the level of aggression that WB permits.

TW

then bitch to the website owners or leave. simple

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 12:20
I'm not calling anyone anything, Weasel. If I called you a name in my last post, please tell us what it was.

You REALLY need to chill out and lighten up before you tune into Whiteblaze.

All I did was comment on how amusing it was to see you talking about strong-toned "violent" posts and how they turned some folks off.

You're right. They do.

But I was vastly amused to see YOU post this because you're one of the guiltiest parties in this regard.

If you can't see the humor here, there's no point in my trying to point it out.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:24
Enjoy your wonderful day, Jack. Rather than discuss a problem, make sure you criticise others personally. Epitomize the 'ad hominem' attack. In my profession, we generally recognize that people who do that don't have much else to say about the real issue. But that's what WB is these days. Have fun!

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:26
Enjoy your wonderful day, Jack. Rather than discuss a problem, make sure you criticise others personally. Epitomize the 'ad hominem' attack. In my profession, we generally recognize that people who do that don't have much else to say about the real issue. But that's what WB is these days. Have fun!

TW

you need to take your toys and go home :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
09-24-2007, 12:29
[QUOTE]The Weasel-"Warren, you're just a jerk..."

The Weasel (to me)-"I use the word liar advisedly."

The Weasel-"you'll find no attack on either of you by me..."Are you pointing out that you missed two people?:rolleyes:

Heater
09-24-2007, 12:32
Weasy, you are one of the biggest pot stirrers on this site. Get real! :rolleyes:

Kettle... Black...

The Weasel
you need to take your toys and go home :rolleyes:

I am home. If you'll re-read what I posted, I didn't say that there has to be a change. But I did say that our common approaches here might be something that, as a community, need to be considered. So far, there hasn't been a substantive response other than Goat's or, perhaps, Jack's calling people "weenies."

If you, Fhart, Jack or more want to attack me for fun or profit, go ahead. But at some point you - and others - may want to consider and even comment on whether the level of hostility that often happens here is a good thing, and what WB should be like, long term.

Tw

Jack Tarlin
Weasel, come back when the new meds kick in.

Always a pleasure.....

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:34
Weasy, you are one of the biggest pot stirrers on this site. Get real! :rolleyes:

Kettle... Black...

Of course I am, Aus. And so are you, and Jack, and Fhart, and Wolf and....

That's not the point. The question I've posed is, "Should it be that way?" There is much to be said for the "WB is an open forum," approach, and much to be said against it. So far, in this thread, I've only posed the question. How do you answer it, rather than just to comment about me. If I left tomorrow (stop the cheering), it would continue. Is that a good thing?

TW

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 12:34
Arguing about arguing is mindblowing in a meta- sort of way. Maybe some people just like arguing.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:35
I am home. If you'll re-read what I posted, I didn't say that there has to be a change. But I did say that our common approaches here might be something that, as a community, need to be considered. So far, there hasn't been a substantive response other than Goat's or, perhaps, Jack's calling people "weenies."

If you, Fhart, Jack or more want to attack me for fun or profit, go ahead. But at some point you - and others - may want to consider and even comment on whether the level of hostility that often happens here is a good thing, and what WB should be like, long term.

Tw

jack called no one a weenie. i did. when you get attacked, you start PMing the site owners. time for you to find another website it seems

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:37
That's not the point. The question I've posed is, "Should it be that way?" There is much to be said for the "WB is an open forum," approach, and much to be said against it. So far, in this thread, I've only posed the question. How do you answer it, rather than just to comment about me. If I left tomorrow (stop the cheering), it would continue. Is that a good thing?

TW

yup. good thing. lotsa entertainment here

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 12:37
This happens occasionally. People get to arguing with each other to the point no one else even knows what they are arguing about anymore.

Johnny Thunder
09-24-2007, 12:40
Weasel...if you're calling for Jack to lead by example you might want to consider heading your own advice. Through your own forcefulness this thread is becoming another example of that which you wish to avoid.

The Old Fhart
09-24-2007, 12:43
The Weasel-"If you, Fhart, Jack or more want to attack me for fun or profit, go ahead." ...so posting quotes from you to show how you continually contradict yourself is an attack? If so, then you must be attacking yourself. ;)

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:48
Jack, I'm here whenever you want to seriously discuss this. If that's never, well, I'll still be here.

TW

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 12:50
Why don't you boys take this to PM. The rest of us really don't care.

Sly
09-24-2007, 12:53
Pointless vs counter pointless.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:54
jack called no one a weenie. i did. when you get attacked, you start PMing the site owners.

Wrong, Wolf.

TW

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 12:55
I opened a question. I think it's been answered. No further interest here.

TW

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 12:55
I opened a question. I think it's been answered. No further interest here.

TW

no BROWN LOGS:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 12:58
There's nothing that needs to be discussed, Weasel, either privately or publicly.

You're being foolish. Please give it a rest. Rock's right. Nobody gives a rats ass about your tantrums, and this includes me.

Have a great day.

Heater
09-24-2007, 13:02

If Jack said that at least he was up front about it rather than being pompously passive aggressive about it. You do it all the time in an indirect way.

TwYou have probably driven as many of of this site as any other poster.

attroll
09-24-2007, 13:03

Those stats are not correct. I would only take the information there with a grain of salt.

Heater
09-24-2007, 13:03
Of course I am, Aus. And so are you, and Jack, and Fhart, and Wolf and....

TW

There would be a lot less of it.

the goat
09-24-2007, 13:04
no BROWN LOGS:rolleyes:

i'm givin you a "10" for style on that one!:D

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 13:04
There's nothing that needs to be discussed, Weasel, either privately or publicly.

You're being foolish. Please give it a rest. Rock's right. Nobody gives a rats ass about your tantrums, and this includes me.

Have a great day.

Yes, I'm sure he was speaking just about me, Jack.

All my days are great. You're in most of them.

TW

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 15:32
You boys wanna get back to the topic? or is this thread ready for a commercial break?

Cockroach
09-24-2007, 16:56
new site www.trailplaces.com (http://www.trailplaces.com)

I asked Osprey,the owner of the "Trailplaces.com" whether he and his site are the designated successors to WF and Trailplace. He says "no" (in which case he may have a trademark problem). So I guess another "official" Trailplace is around the corner.

Jester2000
09-24-2007, 18:54
You're one of the leaders of ESC . . .

Please stop saying that Jack is one of the leaders of ESC. Jack is a proponent of ESC. Jack is also a proponent of many things conservative, but you wouldn't call him a leader in the RNC.

. . .And I think some of the comments of "newbies" here right after TP closed showed some shock at how "boisterous" WB is . . .

Hmmm. I like "boisterous." I think boisterous is good. I think that things and places that try to limit boisterousness tend to get old and die, and chase away more people than any perception of boisterousness ever could.

Nature is boisterous. The world is a boisterous place. The process of making cheese is, on a chemical level, boisterous. You might as well try to enjoy it. Or, you know, join a monastery.

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 18:59
I asked Osprey,the owner of the "Trailplaces.com" whether he and his site are the designated successors to WF and Trailplace. He says "no" (in which case he may have a trademark problem). So I guess another "official" Trailplace is around the corner.

Trailplaces.com is a self-appointed "successor". Whiteblazes.net is taken, but Whiteblazing.net is available. You can put up a site there and appoint yourself the "successor" to Whiteblaze.net.

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 19:03
My thanks to Jester for clearing things up.

I've never been in any leadership capacity or held any sort of "office" in ALDHA ever; nor am I interested in one. I'm just an individual member there, one of several hundred.

Weasel's repeated comments to the contrary only reveal yet again that he knows virtually nothing about this organization or its history.

My thanks also to Jester on the other matter. Not only do I not hold any sort of leadership position in the RNC, but I'm not even a registered Republican.

But if I was going to go for a leadership position in one of these groups or the other, I'd probably go with ALDHA rather than the RNC.

ALDHA has more women and they're younger.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:07
Please stop saying that Jack is one of the leaders of ESC. Jack is a proponent of ESC. Jack is also a proponent of many things conservative, but you wouldn't call him a leader in the RNC.

Well, I think he takes a leading role in supporting it, and often it can sound as if he is speaking for ALDHA, but I'll defer and stand corrected. Sorry.

Hmmm. I like "boisterous." I think boisterous is good. I think that things and places that try to limit boisterousness tend to get old and die, and chase away more people than any perception of boisterousness ever could.

Nature is boisterous. The world is a boisterous place. The process of making cheese is, on a chemical level, boisterous. You might as well try to enjoy it. Or, you know, join a monastery.

Well, many monasteries make cheese, and some are boisterous, but few of either are actively offensive. Perhaps that's a good analogy. Boisterous, without being actively offensive. Not clear, though, how to draw such a line, and, lacking clarity, much argues in favor of no line. But I may not be right on any of that. More thoughts from you, or others?

TW

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 19:11
Let the record show that Weasel defers, admits to being corrected and is sorry for his error.

I look forward to his saying this again sometime around the turning of the next millenia. :D

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:14
My thanks to Jester for clearing things up.

I've never been in any leadership capacity or held any sort of "office" in ALDHA ever; nor am I interested in one. I'm just an individual member there, one of several hundred.

Weasel's repeated comments to the contrary only reveal yet again that he knows virtually nothing about this organization or its history.

Jack, I would somewhat think my error was more flattering to you than you seem to feel it was, since from what I have learned in recent weeks, those who are the formal leaders of ALDHA seem to be good and, generally, welcoming people of good cheer and spirit, and I would think you would not be offended to be erroneously held to be in their company. You may also be aware of 'group dynamics' theory that recognizes that there may be a leader of a group who does not carry a title; I was once told that good way to see who is a leader is to look and see who other people follow. By that standard, I still harbor a suspicion that you are a "leader" of ALDHA, but I shall honor Jester's request not to say so.

But yes, I know know that you are not an elected or formal leader of ALDHA. I'm sorry if I offended you if you thought that was what I meant.

TW

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:17
Let the record show that Weasel defers, admits to being corrected and is sorry for his error.

I look forward to his saying this again sometime around the turning of the next millenia. :D

That seems to be so important to you, Jack. That there be a "record," that you can't let others read it for themselves. Glad to make your day. You must love insults so much, Jack, but it's time to slow them down. You're a lot better than that. You really are.

TW

The Old Fhart
09-24-2007, 19:22
Also to make things perfectly clear, no matter what The Weasel has said on WB, I have no doubts that he is a lawyer.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:25
Also to make things perfectly clear, no matter what The Weasel has said on WB, I have no doubts that he is a lawyer.

Huh? I've ever said I wasn't?

TW

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 19:28
And their off..........

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:30
And their off..........

Waaay off, if the debate is whether I've denied being a lawyer! I mean, after all...who was say they were, if it weren't true? :D

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
Away to a good start. And it's Weasel by a nose....

Jack Tarlin
Weasel, after three thousand posts here, one would have hoped that you'd learned by now that when a big grinning smiley face is attached to a post, it is meant to be light-hearted.

Humorous even.

My post was meant to be taken in that vein.

I had forgotten that lately you've been utterly devoid of anything resembling a sense of humor.

You must be the thinnest-skinned attorney in California.

Lighten up.

No "smiley" this time, either.

Oh, your last comments are very telling: You previously admitted that you've made an error; you "defer" to other people's knowledge of facts, and you say you're "sorry". But then you go and say that despite all this, you still harbor suspicions about my involvement with ALDHA.....but being honorable, you won't deign to mention these suspicions.

Oh, whoops. You DID mention them.

If this is you being "honorable" I'd hate to see you shifty. :D

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 19:32
Away to a good start. And it's Weasel by a nose....

Rounding the first corner its Jack in the lead.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:49
Yes, Jack. I harbor secret suspicions, which no one but you should know about, since I guess theyr're wrong, that you are influential, that people consider you a leader in ALDHA because of your opinions and experience on the Trail (and elsewhere), and that in many ways people follow your, umm, lead. And gosh, I'm not sure which part of that you disagree with, much less which part is offensive. But for whatever part is (either wrong OR offensive) as I said before, I'm sorry.

Go ahead, Jack. Argue with that. Three "sorries" in less than an hour! But when you get a minute, tell me why you're offended by being put in the company of what looks like a bunch of nice people, so I can know how my secret suspicions (which no one else should read about) are wrong.

TW

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2007, 19:50
Folks, here's what you do to test it. And I'm speaking as a real veteran, here, of Scouting:

(1) Be a woman.
(2) Fill out the application form to be an Assistant Scoutmaster ("ASM")
(3) Walk into any Scout Troop meeting and tell the Scoutmaster you want to be an ASM. After he or she stops cheering (Yes, Lord! You've answered my prayers for more volunteers! THANK YOU JESUS!!!) he or she will ask you some questions to make sure you can work with kids and don't have any disqualifiers as shown on the application.
(4) Pay the membership fee. (Currently $10, I think).
(5) Get the Committee Chair's signature on it.
(6) Send it in. Approval is guaranteed as long as you're not on any Megan's Lists or similarl.

TW

not funny if it's a Jewish SM....:rolleyes:

so say your sorry again;)

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:51
Folks, here's what you do to test it. And I'm speaking as a real veteran, here, of Scouting:

(1) Be a woman.
(2) Fill out the application form to be an Assistant Scoutmaster ("ASM")
(3) Walk into any Scout Troop meeting and tell the Scoutmaster you want to be an ASM. After he or she stops cheering (Yes, Lord! You've answered my prayers for more volunteers! THANK YOU JESUS!!!) he or she will ask you some questions to make sure you can work with kids and don't have any disqualifiers as shown on the application.
(4) Pay the membership fee. (Currently $10, I think).
(5) Get the Committee Chair's signature on it.
(6) Send it in. Approval is guaranteed as long as you're not on any Megan's Lists or similarl.

TW

not funny if it's a Jewish SM....:rolleyes:

so say your sorry again;)

Dang! I knew it was gonna be you called me on that! Speaking rhetorically, but yep, you got me! Sorry, folks!

Poor Jack.

TW

Jack Tarlin
09-24-2007, 19:53
I'm not offended to be in the company of these people.

Many of them are my friends.

So I don't have a clue as to what you're babbling about.

If you're REALLY interested in finding out more about this excellent organization, Weasel, it is YOU who should start spending time in their company.

The twofold advantage of this is that you'd have a great time, in addition to giving your future ALDHA-related posts some badly needed credibility.

Oh, and by the way.....one's suspicions aren't a "secret" anymore when you spill them to several thousand folks on the Internet.

Just thought you might wanna know that.....

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 19:59
I'm not offended to be in the company of these people. ***

Glad to hear that, Jack. I mean it was so intense seeing how offended you seemed that I considered you a "leader" (and, by your actions, that you are one), that I was just confounded.

Oh, and by the way.....one's suspicions aren't a "secret" anymore when you spill them to several thousand folks on the Internet.

They're NOT? Really? You mean other people besides you read these posts? Oh my goodness! And all this time I thought that these were so private! Dear me!

Oh, Jack, I can't thank you enough for telling me these things. This is why I, and so many others, hang on every word your say. You know all there is to know, at least as to things that matter, and I just can't thank you enough for clueing me in.

Damn. THOUSANDS of people know that secret suspicion. OK! LISSEN UP HERE, FOLKS. JACK JUST TOLD ME YOU ALL KNOW MY SECRET SUSPICION 'BOUT HIM. AND THAT IT WON'T BE SECRET IF YOU KNOW. SO JUST UN-KNOW IT, RIGHT NOW!!!

Thank you. Sorry for telling you secrets. And thank you, Jack. As always.

TW

TJ aka Teej
09-24-2007, 20:05
in the company of what looks like a bunch of nice people,

"bunch of nice people"?
Nice to see you've flip-flopped on your opinion of ALDHA...

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 20:06
I'm ALDHA - I'm a nice person. Just ask me.

saimyoji
09-24-2007, 20:14
And their off..........

Ahem...."they are" = "they're"

just sayin'

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 20:15
Ohhhhh....

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I quit trying to correct her years ago.

Man you are in for it.

Skidsteer
09-24-2007, 20:20
Ahem...."they are" = "they're"

just sayin'

Dadgum.

Don't you realize she can post anything under your username and you can't do anything about it? :confused: :D

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 20:23
"bunch of nice people"?
Nice to see you've flip-flopped on your opinion of ALDHA...

Teej:

I'm sorry if this comes up with a similar post: I thought I'd posted it, but it doesn't appear to have made it, somehow:

Yes, I've "flip flopped." I said taht several times in the last week or so (not using that term), but several people seem to ignore that. But a number of people I regard commented in PMs, as well as others I knew and didn't know in public posts, that indicated that ALDHA was a good place, and didn't berate me in doing so. That said a lot, despite the desire of several people to demonize me. Much as I "flip flopped" on you, apologizing for the hard words we exchanged a while back (and I've thanked you for your response, as I hope you know), I don't consider changing one's mind to be a weakness, but as a sign that someone can learn when honest discussion occurs. That's a good thing. And, despite Jack's ostensible epiphany at me noting I'm wrong, I don't mind saying so, or, sometimes, not being wrong, but recognizing that the other side of a discussion may have merit. So here.

Thanks for your observation.

TW

saimyoji
09-24-2007, 20:23
Dadgum.

Don't you realize she can post anything under your username and you can't do anything about it? :confused: :D

Well, anything dixie would post is bound to be more intelligent and entertaining than anything I could come up with.

Skidsteer
09-24-2007, 20:25
Well, anything dixie would post is bound to be more intelligent and entertaining than anything I could come up with.

Nice recovery.:cool:

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 20:30
Yeah I typo-ed.... whoopee.... big deal. LOL

At least I ain't arguing over... what the heck are they arguing over anyway? Does anyone really know? Or better yet does anyone give a rat's ass? I know I sure don't and wish they'd SHUT UP already. SHEESH!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 20:38
Saimyoji stumbles but recovers to come from behind and leaves others in dust.

TJ aka Teej
09-24-2007, 20:43
Yeah I typo-ed.... whoopee.... big deal. LOL

At least I ain't arguing over... what the heck are they arguing over anyway? Does anyone really know?

Something about whether blue-blazing Columbia University hammock hangers makes better cat food can stoves than California lawyers make ultralight dehydrated Baltimore crab cakes while sneaking into films on tarptenting at ALDHA Gatherings with Wingfoot.
Their ewe half it, in a knutshell.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 20:59
In a surprising move, TJ comes from behind and passes everyone by making the entire field laugh. :D

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 21:01
Something about whether blue-blazing Columbia University hammock hangers makes better cat food can stoves than California lawyers make ultralight dehydrated Baltimore crab cakes while sneaking into films on tarptenting at ALDHA Gatherings with Wingfoot.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was worried for a second there that they'd left Wingfoot totally out of the equation which would've been a pity since this is a thread about Trailplace and the Handbook afterall. :rolleyes:

So glad to hear my fears were unfounded. :D

saimyoji
09-24-2007, 21:06
Who is Wingfoot? :confused:

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 21:14
Who is Wingfoot? :confused:

Apparently I am, or so I've been told several times. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 21:18
It is Dixi taking the lead as the entire field ROFLTAO.
::: Dino gives Dixi a high five for comment ::

warren doyle
09-24-2007, 21:22
Finishing up a 110-mile "Walk in the Woods to Work" tomorrow in honor of my students. Beautiful scenery on the Mountains-to Sea Trail and Stone Mountain State Park.

These recent memories are enough to offset what I have been reading here.

I look forward to the ALDHA Gathering and having the opoortunity to present six programs.

ed bell
09-24-2007, 21:31
I'm ALDHA - I'm a nice person. Just ask me.
I just recently hung out with you, I'd agree with your statement, even though I didn't have to ask.:sun

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 22:01

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was worried for a second there that they'd left Wingfoot totally out of the equation which would've been a pity since this is a thread about Trailplace and the Handbook afterall. :rolleyes:

So glad to hear my fears were unfounded. :D

Dang. How did TJ know my other secret suspicion about Jack? Now ALL my secrets are known! Both of them! Even DIXI knows them. Jack? Can you solve this? We're counting on you!

TW

Jester2000
09-24-2007, 23:33
At least I ain't arguing over... what the heck are they arguing over anyway? Does anyone really know?

I thought this thread was about cheese.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 23:48

That's been very evident.

TW

rhjanes
09-25-2007, 09:18
I thought it was about passing wind............ :eek:

Marta
09-25-2007, 09:36
Please get back to the main subject(s)...arguing about argueing.

And spelling.

dixicritter
09-25-2007, 09:42
Please get back to the main subject(s)...arguing about argueing.

And spelling.

Id much rather argu bout spellin ifn thats awright wit u... ;)

Alligator
09-25-2007, 09:44
I thought it was about bois...

Jester2000
09-25-2007, 20:35
Id much rather argu bout spellin ifn thats awright wit u... ;)

Dixie channels Matty. . .

Manach
09-26-2007, 00:00
Being rather new and all, I don't want to step on any toes. But I'm trying to work out the whole "boisterous" thing.

That would be this thread. Right? Boisterous? Because that's what I'm thinking.

;)

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 00:29
Being rather new and all, I don't want to step on any toes. But I'm trying to work out the whole "boisterous" thing.

;)

Yes, but on the lower end of the WhiteBlaze Boisterous Scale.

Panzer1
09-27-2007, 21:42
Wingfoots book was not really his. In 1991 he bought the book from Darrell Maret "The Philosopher GA-ME 1980"

Now it belongs to someone else again.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
09-27-2007, 21:52
I disagree. It became Bruce's when he purchased it. When you sell the rights to something, they're gone, and the item is no longer yours.

Likewise, if he did indeed sell the book to someone else, then it's no longer his, either.

Nightwalker
09-27-2007, 21:53
It's also stuff that I hear from people while out hiking. Sorry.

Lone Wolf
09-27-2007, 21:59
I disagree. It became Bruce's when he purchased it. When you sell the rights to something, they're gone, and the item is no longer yours.

Likewise, if he did indeed sell the book to someone else, then it's no longer his, either.

c'mon jack, you know panzer meant wing took over from maret. maret set the stage, wingfoot capitalized.

warraghiyagey
09-27-2007, 22:02

;)

If you don't enjoy boisterous then this is actually a good cross section of what you can expect here. You may have thought, as I did, that it would be a group of peaceful hikers sharing their joy of a peaceful ambition they have in common. There's some of that. And if you're choosy with the threads you choose to read you'll find that.
THen there are the opinion laden threads. It's not very pretty at times. Better to just throw on your pack and go where the hiking is.
Peace

rafe
09-27-2007, 22:03
Still have my copy of Darrell's final guide. It's mint. Maybe someday it'll be worth a zillion bux on ebay? It's priceless. "The Cloverdale Interchange: a land of neon."

Panzer1
09-27-2007, 22:05
The first versions of the book were on mimeograph paper. The kind that everyone used to sniff when they were in grade school. Eventually it grew in size and became a book.

Panzer

Nightwalker
09-27-2007, 22:11
At least I ain't arguing over... what the heck are they arguing over anyway?

I think thay'er* trying to figger out which is the best arguer at topics specious, but we'll never know. :D

--------------------------------------------
*Heehee.

Nightwalker
09-27-2007, 22:12
Apparently I am, or so I've been told several times. ;)

Hey! That was a long time ago.....

Lone Wolf
09-27-2007, 22:14
don't matter. i'm right. the rest y'all consult me

Nightwalker
09-27-2007, 22:15
If you don't enjoy boisterous then this is actually a good cross section of what you can expect here. You may have thought, as I did, that it would be a group of peaceful hikers sharing their joy of a peaceful ambition they have in common. There's some of that. And if you're choosy with the threads you choose to read you'll find that.
THen there are the opinion laden threads. It's not very pretty at times. Better to just throw on your pack and go where the hiking is.
Peace

You know what would be cool? A check-box that says "ignore thread." That'd be better than my limited willpower any day!

Sly
10-24-2007, 09:10
Looks like Dan actually did sell the rights to Trailplace and the Handbook.

Trailplace (http://www.trailplace.com)

Cookerhiker
10-24-2007, 10:11
Thanks Sly. I wish Bob best of luck.

Marta
10-24-2007, 10:43
Who bought it?

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 10:46
Bob McCaw, he is a WB member too.

Tin Man
10-24-2007, 18:50
And Kirby has posted there already....

http://www.trailplace.com/wordpress/?p=6#comments

http://www.trailjournals.com/kirby/

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 19:21
Looks like Dan actually did sell the rights to Trailplace and the Handbook.

Trailplace (http://www.trailplace.com)

If you read carefully, nowhere does it say that Mr. McCaw bought anything. It says he is the "webmaster" and that he will be "editing and updating" the Guide. Dan Bruce's "message" refers to "turning over" the site and that Bob is "assuming the responsibilities." While that may refer to a sale, it may also mean that Dan still owns the site and the book, and that Bob is not an sole owner of anything.

TW

Sly
10-24-2007, 19:24
Oh gee, sorry consular. Regardless of whether Bob bought it or not, he's apparently taking over both the book and website.

Roland
10-24-2007, 19:29
If you read carefully, nowhere does it say that Mr. McCaw bought anything. It says he is the "webmaster" and that he will be "editing and updating" the Guide. Dan Bruce's "message" refers to "turning over" the site and that Bob is "assuming the responsibilities." While that may refer to a sale, it may also mean that Dan still owns the site and the book, and that Bob is not an sole owner of anything.

TW

Typical weasel BS. In the time it took you to write this, you could have confirmed that Bob McCaw owns the domain (http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=trailplace&tld=com).

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 19:29
Oh gee, sorry consular. Regardless of whether Bob bought it or not, he's apparently taking over both the book and website.

I am neither a consul, nor consular. No one would consider me diplomatic. :rolleyes:

As for 'purchase', I've asked about that at the new site, and Bob is free to answer or ignore me. But I think it matters; there is a fair amount of suspicion about Dan, some or perhaps even a lot of it unjustified, and if there is a "clean break," that is one thing, while if he retains control a little or a lot, that may lead to different feelings by past and future members.

TW

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 19:36
Typical weasel BS. In the time it took you to write this, you could have confirmed that Bob McCaw owns the domain (http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=trailplace&tld=com).

Well, Roland, how great it is that you can be insulting here, although in past days of Wingfoot glory, insults like that by either of us would get us booted from Trailplace.

Words cannot express my tristesse, however, that I'm not as wondrous a geekhead as you are to know how to find out who "registrants' for websites are. You must be so proud to know everything worth knowing. I admire you. By the way, I passed a store today called something like "Psychology Store" (honest) in Royal Oak, Michigan, and they seem to have lives for sale. Give them a call anytime.

Of course, "registrants" are not necessarily the same as "owners." I spent an educational few minutes at "whosis" and found several national domains that may or may not show the "owners." US Air, for instance - the airline - (usair.com) seems to have that domain owned by "Network Solutions." So I still have this question in my mind, but I'm sure Bob McCaw will either answer it, or politely (unlike you) decline.

All my love to the kiddies, Rollie. :)

TW

Roland
10-24-2007, 19:39
Well, Roland, how great it is that you can be insulting here, although in past days of Wingfoot glory, insults like that by either of us would get us booted from Trailplace.

Words cannot express my tristesse, however, that I'm not as wondrous a geekhead as you are to know how to find out who "registrants' for websites are. You must be so proud to know everything worth knowing. I admire you. By the way, I passed a store today called something like "Psychology Store" (honest) in Royal Oak, Michigan, and they seem to have lives for sale. Give them a call anytime.

Of course, "registrants" are not necessarily the same as "owners." I spent an educational few minutes at "whosis" and found several national domains that may or may not show the "owners." US Air, for instance - the airline - (usair.com) seems to have that domain owned by "Network Solutions." So I still have this question in my mind, but I'm sure Bob McCaw will either answer it, or politely (unlike you) decline.

TW

Thanks for your response, weasel. It's what I've come to expect from you.

ed bell
10-24-2007, 19:39

TWWell, good luck to anyone. I'd wager that the known owners of this site would like to stay out of the speculation business regarding trailplace.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 19:40

TW

rickb
10-24-2007, 19:45
TW, I think you are confusing a registrar with a registrant.

USAir owns the domain name.

If they didn't their legal team would get it for them.

Simple as that.

ed bell
10-24-2007, 19:49
Hey rick, are you now the geekhead with no life?:rolleyes::)

rumbler
10-24-2007, 19:50
This thread needs more beer.

Skidsteer
10-24-2007, 19:52
Damn.

I wish I'd quoted Wolf's post when I had the chance.

I didn't stop laughing in time.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 19:56
Damn.

I wish I'd quoted Wolf's post when I had the chance.

I didn't stop laughing in time.

sorry dude

rickb
10-24-2007, 19:58
Hey rick, are you now the geekhead with no life?

Geekhead? No, but you are probably half right.

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 20:04
I see Weasel's point. Just because Bob now owns it doesn't mean WF sold it to him outright and it doesn't mean he gave it to him outright either.

I say give him a chance and see what happens.

Appalachian Tater
10-24-2007, 20:07
I see Weasel's point. Just because Bob now owns it doesn't mean WF sold it to him outright and it doesn't mean he gave it to him outright either.

And it really is no one's business except for Mr. McCaw and Mr. Bruce.

Lone Wolf
10-24-2007, 20:09
And it really is no one's business except for Mr. McCaw and Mr. Bruce.

then shut your piehole and stay out of it

SGT Rock
10-24-2007, 20:11
Good idea Wolf.

ed bell
10-24-2007, 20:22

TW

Simple as that.

Hey rick, are you now the geekhead with no life?:rolleyes::)Good natured rib by me because of the previous post by TW.:sun

Geekhead? No, but you are probably half right.Well, I would never comment on a life I know nothing about, but I'm sure you are doin' alright.:cool:

I say give him a chance and see what happens.I see his point as well, but I just said good luck to anyone. The way I see it, I like it here.

Marta
10-24-2007, 20:48
I think it's time to push back from the desk, head out onto the porch, lie in the hammock, and listen to the music of the rain.

Bob McCaw
10-24-2007, 21:36
I do.

It's nice to be the leading authority on something.

rickb
10-24-2007, 21:39
Well, I would never comment on a life I know nothing about, but I'm sure you are doin' alright.Life is doing fine.

I was simply observing that you might be half right when you called me a geekhead.

:-?

Sly
10-24-2007, 21:44

Stick around. You'll find lots of leading authorities on something here! :D

Skidsteer
10-24-2007, 21:50
I 'spect Weasel will be apologizing to Roland soon.

snicker.

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 21:59
I do.

A breath of fresh air, and I'm referring to your nice sense of humor in answering the question, Bob. Direct, with a nice chuckle on the surface of it. Refreshing.

As for being the leading authority, you're absolutely right. One definition of an 'expert' is 'any man or woman more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.' If you've been wandering the southern half by car for weeks now, you're more than an expert.

Thanks for the response.

The Weasel

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 22:08

Simple as that.

Well, those who wait for me to apologize to Roland may need to educate me on what to apologize for. After the snotty remark from him, that led it off, well, I'm not sure exactly why.

Let's start with this, now that I've gotten a little bit of knowledge of "Whosis." "Registrant" is the holder of the domain name. For General Motors, for instance, that's "GM." http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=gm&tld=com For US Air, it's Network Solutions.

As for whether US Air owns that name, well, I've probably done as much or more corporate property work as anyone here, and just because they use that domain (or any other property with their name on it) has no relationship to whether they own it or not. There are a host of relationships that allow someone to have their name on something to make it look like it is theirs when it isn't. Nearly all are legal.

As for this, there has been a lot of speculation over the last few months whether Dan Bruce would give up actual control over Trailplace's name and site, or the Guide, or continue to exert some kind of control. And Dan has used very careful phrasing about his situations before. Bob has answered a direct question directly. That get's him some real credit, and I appreciate it, and it goes a long way right from the get-go to establishing credibility for the 'new' Trailplace.

TW

max patch
10-24-2007, 22:14
As for this, there has been a lot of speculation over the last few months whether Dan Bruce would give up actual control over Trailplace's name and site, or the Guide, or continue to exert some kind of control.

The "speculating" was pretty much done by one individual. And yeah, there was a lot of it.

The Weasel
10-24-2007, 22:18
No, Max. Wishing won't make it so. And not even this time: I wondered, and then went to Trailplace and asked Bob. He answered. Good for him.

TW

ed bell
10-24-2007, 23:17
I 'spect Weasel will be apologizing to Roland soon.

snicker.
Well, there is always the Texas Two-Step,:cool::DDancing with the stars. Don't faint, Marie.;)

rickb
10-25-2007, 07:00
Let's start with this, now that I've gotten a little bit of knowledge of "Whosis." "Registrant" is the holder of the domain name. For General Motors, for instance, that's "GM." http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=gm&tld=com For US Air, it's Network Solutions.
As for whether US Air owns that name, well, I've probably done as much or more corporate property work as anyone here, and just because they use that domain (or any other property with their name on it) has no relationship to whether they own it or not. There are a host of relationships that allow someone to have their name on something to make it look like it is theirs when it isn't. Nearly all are legal.US Airways owns their domain name. Pure and simple.

Click here:
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=usair.com

Of course people use domain names they don't own. Small business people fall into this trap all the time. Big corporations don't-- especially when the domain name is the company name or a valued brand or trademark.

USAIR didn't.

In fact big corporation protect their names like rabid dogs. If you or I were at the head of the curve and registered USAIR.com before their techies thought to do so, thier legal team would have seen to get it for themselves.

It the way the real world works.

Like I said, you are confusing registrar with registrant. Network Solutions might be the best know registrars out there, and doesn't play games like that.

Mags
10-25-2007, 10:46
Weasel,

You may be a lawyer and know legal terminolgy. But your technical knowledge is incorrect in this case for reasons other people said.

I don't want to get into a debate on it as there is nothing to debate. It is pretty black and white. :) Besides, when I am surfing the web and in between my assignments at work, I really do not want to discuss the ins and outs of geek stuff. :D You may find this link useful http://www.rackshare.com/faq/domains.shtml#registrar

'nuff said.

As an FYI, I don't plan on doing follow up replies. It is like debating 1+1 does not equal 2.

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 11:16
Weasel,

You may be a lawyer and know legal terminolgy. But your technical knowledge is incorrect in this case for reasons other people said.

Well, that was my point. WF's language didn't make it clear that he was out of the picture, that he had actually sold Trailplace.com, and given some of Dan's frankly deceptive langauge in the past, that was a fair question. Instead, I got a snottly little flame about why didn't I just go do some kind of arcane internet research that may or may not tell who the actual owner of a domain is. Gosh. Didn't know about "whatsis" or whatever it is.

So gee, Mags, if I'm not an expert on that, and you are, my admiration to you. But there's a difference between saying, "Hey...here's something that answers the question" and Roland being snotty about it.

I'm glad this is important to all of you. Me, I mostly appreciate Bob McCaw just saying, "I own it." Thanks again, Bob.

TW

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 11:26
Weasel,

I don't want to get into a debate on it as there is nothing to debate. It is pretty black and white. :) Besides, when I am surfing the web and in between my assignments at work, I really do not want to discuss the ins and outs of geek stuff. :D You may find this link useful http://www.rackshare.com/faq/domains.shtml#registrar

'nuff said.

As an FYI, I don't plan on doing follow up replies. It is like debating 1+1 does not equal 2.

Mags: As a second aspect to this, while I may not have known "domain terminology" - thank you for the link - yes, I do know legal terminology.

And what I see now is precisely what I suspected: A "registrant" is simply the person (or entity) who sends in the money and says, "I want to register this name." That may or may not be the person who owns the domain; the registrant may leave other owners names off, for convenience or simplicity, or from a desire for confidentiality. Indeed, the registrant may not even be one of the owners; there may legally be an agreement by which the registrant transfers her/his rights in the domain name to another person. This is very common in intellectual property, which sometimes does and sometimes does not disclose true ownership.

So just because a "whois" function says, "Joe Smith" is the registrant of a name doesn't mean Joe is an owner, or the sole owner, of it.

TW

Mags
10-25-2007, 13:29
So just because a "whois" function says, "Joe Smith" is the registrant of a name doesn't mean Joe is an owner, or the sole owner, of it.

TW

If you say so. I'd rather not argue something.

Thanks.

The Weasel
10-25-2007, 16:40
If you say so. I'd rather not argue something.

Thanks.

Mags, I am very correct on this. I'm not going to divulge confidences of any client, but I have had clients who had web domains that were in the name of one partner, although the partners had agreements that both owned the domain. There is nothing legally surprising about that, and there are many good reasons why it occurs.

TW

Mags
10-25-2007, 17:14
Mags, I am very correct on this. I'm not going to divulge confidences of any client, but I have had clients who had web domains that were in the name of one partner, although the partners had agreements that both owned the domain. There is nothing legally surprising about that, and there are many good reasons why it occurs.

TW

As I said, if you say so.

Really, you have the last word. I am not going to argue with you.

rickb
10-25-2007, 17:40
Mags,

I know I have learned a lot from you and your approach over the years. I got a way to go myself, however. Perhaps I could return the favor with some wisdom of my own?

Here goes: To make a good home cooked meal great, don't cut corners. Always go for the parmesan that comes in the green can. Accept no substitutes!

RickB

Mags
10-25-2007, 18:17
Mags,

Here goes: To make a good home cooked meal great, don't cut corners. Always go for the parmesan that comes in the green can. Accept no substitutes!

RickB

..and make sure to use Ragu jarred sauce. Only the best.

attroll
10-26-2007, 00:30

TW
I am glad I have my boots on right now.

Sly
10-26-2007, 00:36
I am glad I have my boots on right now.

Heh, heh... it's getting deep! :D

The Weasel
10-26-2007, 19:08
Troll...thanks for the chuckle. :-?
TW

MOWGLI
10-26-2007, 19:10
..and make sure to use Ragu jarred sauce. Only the best.

Is it macaroni & gravy, or pasta & sauce?

Tin Man
10-26-2007, 20:34

If it came out of a jar, it is sauce. I am not sure about the pasta.

Smile
10-28-2007, 00:23
A jar?!!!!

Oh boy :)

Mags
10-28-2007, 23:45

Pasta and sauce are for yuppies...

We had macaroni and gravy (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27007&highlight=macaroni+gravy+ziti).. :)

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:45
You set 'em straight Mags :)