PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Sept/Oct 2008

English Stu
09-21-2007, 14:13
Hi,
In Sept/Oct 2004 I section hiked from Troutville VA to Mt Springer about 700 miles .I am thinking about doing the John Muir Trail in August a next year and then return to the AT for Sept/Oct .I just wonder from whereabouts, and in what direction ,I should take to continue my hike. I would like the best conditions so I don’t need much cold weather gear- I can go down to freezing point at night with my regular gear. I intend to complete the AT sometime so I don’t really want future complicated flip flops. I enjoy some company but not crowds. I usually tarp at Shelters. Easy access from the West coast is another consideration I am retired arborist so enjoy plants and wildlife ,if a bit of extra time is needed that is ok. I averaged 70 miles a week last time with a zero day each week though I did have two Hurricanes !I would appreciate ideas.

English Stu

rafe
09-21-2007, 14:25
Sept/Oct. is nice anywhere on the A.T. The major issue with late-season hiking is that the creeks and springs may be low or dry. On the plus side, the bugs are mostly gone and the temperatures are nice. You could just continue north from where you left off, of course. Hiking in New England would probably minimize the lack-of-water issue. Snow and extreme cold won't be an issue unless or until you hit the White Mountains (say, around Glencliff, New Hampshire.)

Rambler
09-24-2007, 10:57
Pawling NY (AT Station) to Delaware Gap. That would be almost all of NJ/NY.
Convenient transportation out of NYC to either end. (I just started planning for a JMT thru-hike next August, too.)

The Solemates
09-24-2007, 13:25
Hi,
In Sept/Oct 2004 I section hiked from Troutville VA to Mt Springer about 700 miles .I am thinking about doing the John Muir Trail in August a next year and then return to the AT for Sept/Oct .I just wonder from whereabouts, and in what direction ,I should take to continue my hike. I would like the best conditions so I don’t need much cold weather gear- I can go down to freezing point at night with my regular gear. I intend to complete the AT sometime so I don’t really want future complicated flip flops. I enjoy some company but not crowds. I usually tarp at Shelters. Easy access from the West coast is another consideration I am retired arborist so enjoy plants and wildlife ,if a bit of extra time is needed that is ok. I averaged 70 miles a week last time with a zero day each week though I did have two Hurricanes !I would appreciate ideas.

English Stu

is the english stu that hiked with xena in 04?

English Stu
09-29-2007, 10:03
Hi, I don't recall a Xena but there can't be that many English Stu's on the trail . I went from Troutville VA to Springer in Sept /Oct ,early Nov, 2004

The Solemates
10-01-2007, 11:17
Hi, I don't recall a Xena but there can't be that many English Stu's on the trail . I went from Troutville VA to Springer in Sept /Oct ,early Nov, 2004

then its not the englishman i am thinking of. :)