PDA

View Full Version : Good Multitool?

musicwoman
09-21-2007, 14:34
Hi,

I'm a newbie and am at least a year or 2 from attempting the great AT, so I wanted to do a few days here and there to get used to it all (Harriman/Bear Mountain area). I was wondering if you could recommend a good multi-tool for the trail. I know some people take a singlebladed knife or small Swiss Army type tool. I know a few hikers that swear by the Leatherman Micra (apparently, the full size leatherman is quite heavy).

Any thought?

Thanks!!

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 14:42
I really like the Leatherman Micra.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 14:46
I really like the Leatherman Micra.

Believe it or not, the most effective is the tiny Swiss knife with just a blade and a file/screwdriver. If you're carrying a minimum of gear, that's all you need.

If you're carrying much more that needs repair, and you know you can do the repairs, a Micra is useful.

TW

SGT Rock
09-21-2007, 14:51
Well I sort of disagree. In a move to go lighter and smaller I got one of those. After numerous hikes I miss the slightly (but not by much) larger blade and much better set of scissors that were on my micra.

sparky2000
09-21-2007, 14:55
What's the need? Do u have line to cut? - bring a small toe clippers. Do u have a bear to fight? - bring a walking stick that the bear will mistake for a rifle.

The Weasel
09-21-2007, 15:00
Well I sort of disagree. In a move to go lighter and smaller I got one of those. After numerous hikes I miss the slightly (but not by much) larger blade and much better set of scissors that were on my micra.

My toenails aren't as nasty as yours, Rock. I have NICE toenails. Normal knives work on them. Just because you find the Micra works as well as the hedgeclippers you always had to carry doesn't mean the rest of us have nails made of Kevlar. :eek:

Sheesh. Army guys allus wanna go for equipment overload. Like they needed it, or sumpin. Sheesh. :D

TW

Tabasco
09-21-2007, 15:00
Love my micra. never ever leave home without it, unless I'm flying somewhere. I also keep a maglite Solitaire on the lanyard too.

musicwoman
09-21-2007, 15:07
Thanks so much. A Micra it is. I was going to ask about a minimag too, I guess the Solitaire is the way to go.

Outlaw
09-21-2007, 16:23
Thanks so much. A Micra it is. I was going to ask about a minimag too, I guess the Solitaire is the way to go.

I carry a Micra too. But I personally don't carry or recommend a minimag or Solitaire. I like the LED photon lights. Lighter in weight and a much brighter light than the standard bulbs found in the mag-type lights. YMMV.

bigcranky
09-21-2007, 20:20
LED Photon lights. The minimags are heavy, eat batteries, and aren't very bright.

Cuffs
09-21-2007, 20:31
LED headlamp... handsfree operation, intensely bright and long lasting batteries

satchownz
09-22-2007, 12:12
I agree with SGT Rock above, the Leatherman is always a good choice. I need to replace mine, and I feel all nistalgic when I think about all the stuff I've done with it.

I hope I'm not saying "Well, they don't make them like they used too" soon..

:)

BrianLe
09-22-2007, 14:08
Wenger Swiss Army "Esquire" model, at 0.8 oz (22 grams) has knife blade, scissors, tweezers, nail file, and toothpick. Scissors can do things that are just awkward with a knife, either for gear or body repair and maintenance. Scissors plus nail file can make it easier to keep nails trimmed (toe and finger), even the toothpick is useful, perhaps depending on whether or not you carry floss.

Knife was pretty cheap too in a local sporting goods store.

For light, consider the Petzold e+lite at 1.0 oz (27g). Downside is it uses two CR 2032 disc batteries, but it's pretty small and light yet includes a headband and offers both red and white light. I like the red for times when I'd prefer to preserve my night vision. REI sells these. Rather than spare batteries, I carry a very small led light as backup.

satchownz
09-23-2007, 07:39
Thanks! I am going to check those out

LIhikers
09-24-2007, 12:51
If you're going to be hiking in the Bear Mountain/Harriman parks there's no need to wait on doing the AT. It goes through both of those parks. My wife and I did the AT in NY and NJ either as day hikes or hikes of 2 to 3 days.

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 13:05
The Leatherman "Micra" or Wenger "Esquire" are definitely best-in-class for a multi-tool and army knife.

Gerber also makes a little clipper/knife/file/scissors combo that works and is very light but is not as durable as the others: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Deluxe-Utility-Clippers/dp/B000670I9U

You can find it on eBay for about $5.

Think about what functions you need and then pick the best (smallest, lightest, cheapest, highest-quality) tool that has them all and no extras. Probably you only need a small blade, scissors, fingernail clippers and file, and tweezers. Depending on your equipment and other choices, you may want a screwdriver, larger blade, possibly a can opener, etc.

musicwoman
09-24-2007, 13:23
LI Hiker,

The Harriman/Bear Mountain portion of the AT was one of the areas I was thinking of hiking, but I was also looking at hiking a portion of Long Path. Which would you recommend? I need to get used to the climbs and decents, but would like to do so slowly. I definitely don't want a "baptism by fire" scenario. I am not conditioned enough for that yet:). Also, as far as the Bear Mountain portion of the AT, I've heard its really rough and I don't think I am physically ready for it yet.

I am from Long Island myself, btw:)

partinj
09-24-2007, 13:27
You can now get a 1watt let upgrade for your minimag now. Target has it and some walmart have it really is bright batterys will last longer to

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 13:40
musicwoman, I hiked the Long Path from the GW Bridge up to Wurtsboro this year, taking the "long route" using the A.T./Shawangunk Ridge trail through Highpoint. That section is pretty easy terrain-wise, the problems were ticks like you wouldn't believe, few water sources and some sections where there's not much of a trail at all compared to the A.T. "highway". The Basha Kill Section below Wurtsboro is extremely flat and very easy, a rail-to-trail path. The part along the Hudson has some amazing views.

Outlaw
09-24-2007, 14:27
You can now get a 1watt let upgrade for your minimag now. Target has it and some walmart have it really is bright batterys will last longer to

IMHO Minimags w/ or w/o upgrade are not worth the extra weight.

musicwoman
09-24-2007, 16:45
Appalachian Tater,

You must be familiar w/ the portion of the path from Rte 6 up Long Mountain to Torrey Memorial.
My son and I recently day hiked that portion, and I found the ascent rather steep. It was doable for me, but it took awhile. Is this type of climb typical of the rest of the trail? If so, then I really have alot of physical training ahead of me....

Appalachian Tater
09-24-2007, 17:12
Actually I didn't climb up to Torrey Memorial this summer, if you look at this map I took the alternate route on the AT southbound from below Long Mountain over to High Point and then up the Shawangunk Ridge Trail up to Wurtsboro where it hooks back up to the "primary" Long Path just below Minnewaska State Park.

http://nynjtc.org/trails/longpath/lp3.html

When I climbed up Long Mountain last year, I was in good shape by that time but I think that area was a little rough. The section of the Long Path I did this year had nothing comparable to that. Maybe the few hundred yards up to the tower on High Point, but in general no steep ups and downs. There are more ups and downs north of Wurtsboro and in the Catskills.

That connecting section of the A.T. is nice, too, you have the Secret Shelter and ice cream twice and the boardwalk and marshes. The really steep mountain there you're going down, not up.

However, I think in general you will find the very south of the A.T. and the very north much more difficult than this area. Don't worry about going slow when you thru-hike, it was weeks before the pack I started with did ten miles in one day. It's literally just one step at a time. Get through Georgia and up to Damascus, and then by the time you hit the mountains up north, you'll be in great shape, even after getting a little lazy in Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic.

Cockroach
09-24-2007, 17:27
Another vote for micra

LIhikers
09-26-2007, 16:58
LI Hiker,

The Harriman/Bear Mountain portion of the AT was one of the areas I was thinking of hiking, but I was also looking at hiking a portion of Long Path. Which would you recommend? I need to get used to the climbs and decents, but would like to do so slowly. I definitely don't want a "baptism by fire" scenario. I am not conditioned enough for that yet:). Also, as far as the Bear Mountain portion of the AT, I've heard its really rough and I don't think I am physically ready for it yet.

I am from Long Island myself, btw:)

Yep I recognized Shoreham. We're in Huntington.
I asume you'll be driving to the Harriman area. If you start where the AT crosses route 17A and go in either direction the walking isn't bad. South takes you into NJ and north stays in NY.

tritonl
09-26-2007, 19:18
The micra does not have a can opener, do I take another tool or something specific?

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 19:29
Get cans that have tops that peel off. Or get foil pouches.

BrianLe
09-27-2007, 13:05
Put a bigger (more complete) pocket knife in your bounce bucket --- or just an actual can opener or p38 or whatever --- and open cans in town, put the contents into ziplocks. Who wants to carry the weight of a can on your back anyway? (both before but also after you've eaten the food ...)

And for resupply where you won't collect the bounce bucket/box/whatever, of course do what our favorite NCO suggests ...

You can open a can with a reasonably strong knife blade, but I wouldn't try that with the relatively small and thin blade on the light knife that I carry.

Flush2wice
09-27-2007, 13:32
Every hiker needs to carry this multi tool (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=16221&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=8205&M5%2Ectx=8205&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Camp%20Tools%20%2D%20Machetes%2C%2 0Hatchets%2C%20Shovels&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Knives%2C%20Pocket%20Tools%2C%20Camp%20T ools&BC4%2Ectx=Camp%20Tools%20%2D%20Machetes%2C%20Hatch ets%2C%20Shovels&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Flevel3c%2Etam)

Adam B
10-02-2007, 16:59
Okay, I know this isn't light by any stretch of the imagination but it by far the best tool I have used and that is the gerber tools. I have owned many working knives and tools, I have two leathermans, a couple of swiss army knives, a dive knife, a couple cheap multi-tools and pocket knives, a puegeot multi-tool, a k-bar, a couple of fixed blades and one gerber multi-tool. I have other blades but those are my day to day blades. Reality is only my gerber, k-bar and dive knife see regular usage. I always have my gerber with me and the other come out as needed. The gerber is heavy but I have never had the slightest problem besides my first getting stolen. Gerber makes a mini but I have never tried it out.

shelterbuilder
10-02-2007, 17:57
Every hiker needs to carry this multi tool (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=16221&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=8205&M5%2Ectx=8205&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Camp%20Tools%20%2D%20Machetes%2C%2 0Hatchets%2C%20Shovels&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Knives%2C%20Pocket%20Tools%2C%20Camp%20T ools&BC4%2Ectx=Camp%20Tools%20%2D%20Machetes%2C%20Hatch ets%2C%20Shovels&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Flevel3c%2Etam)

Oh, my! in the wrong hands, that'll leave a mark!:eek: :eek:

wrongway_08
10-02-2007, 19:03
L.E.D headlamp. Small, light weight, batterys last a long time, hands free, water proof (higher end ones).

Monkeyboy
10-12-2007, 09:28
I use the Leatherman SuperTool.

Yes, it's much bigger than the others, but has a ton of stuff, is full sized and easier to use as a regular tool.

The micros are tough to get some elbow grease on a stuck screw, etc....

It has regular knife, serated knife, can opener/bottle opener, saw blade, phillips, small regular screw, large regular screw, awl, file, crimpers, wire cutters, needle nose pliers with regular plier claws.

Regardless, stick with the Leatherman line. Lifetime warranty. My pliers broke once. Took it back to Home Depot two years after purchase and they handed me a new one.

Also, the pivot point is stable and doesn't flop around on the Leathermans. Cheaper ones will flop back and forth at the pivot.

Brrrb Oregon
10-12-2007, 13:44
LED headlamp... handsfree operation, intensely bright and long lasting batteries

I second that. (Or third, or whatever it is by now.)

faarside
10-12-2007, 14:47

Personally, I prefer the "Princeton TEC Attitude". Has 3 high output, white LED's and uses 4-AAA batteries. Very bright, very light, and runs for a LONG time! Campmor has it for $12.97 . Item #55871.

Best of luck, and Happy Trails!

P.S. I section hike the NY/NJ/PA area lots. Great elevations and views.

take-a-knee
10-12-2007, 15:30
Leatherman Micra, Princeton Tec Scout LED headlamp (or a Petzal headlamp if you prefer AA's or AAA's), a GI P-38 can opener if you think you need it, and two or three of those Spetnaz throwing shovels.:)

johnny quest
11-05-2007, 18:38
you micra lovers should look at the leatherman squirt s4. its pretty much the same...but the tweezers are detachable. im a big leatherman fan but you gotta admit those captive tweezers are not very usable.

take-a-knee
11-05-2007, 19:05
Leatherman Micra, and another knife if you feel the need. Don't, however, carry a knife that doesn't have a locking blade, they can end your trip on a bad note when a sharp blade folds up on one or more fingers.