PDA

View Full Version : Hiker stores?

kiwihiker
09-21-2007, 15:45
I was just looking at the web site for the Mountain crossing store in Blairsville GA. Are there any other stores like that located right on or so close to the AT.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 15:46
I was just looking at the web site for the Mountain crossing store in Blairsville GA. Are there any other stores like that located right on or so close to the AT.

one in Hot Springs, N.C. and two in Damascus, Va.

rafe
09-21-2007, 15:55
There's an excellent outfitter in Cloverdale, about 0.4 mile west the trail on US-220, in the Botetourt Commons mall (where Krogers is.)

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 15:58
Kent, Ct. outfitter

Just a Hiker
09-21-2007, 16:05
there's an outfitter a mile or so from the AT in Kent, Ct.

These guys in Kent have changed alot the past year......they have moved closer to the trail, but it seemed (to me) that they were getting away from hiking gear and more toward expensive stuff for tourists. Just my opinion.

Just Jim

Tennessee Viking
09-21-2007, 16:57
There is a chain of Mast General Stores in NC, SC, & TN.
Mahonneys in Johnson City, TN & Abingdon, VA
Mtn Sports Ltd in Bristol TN/VA
Bluff Mtn Outfitters Hot Springs TN
Mt Rogers in Damascus, VA

There should be an REI in Atlanta.

There is Blue Ridge in Knoxville, very expensive.
There is one in Chattanooga, but its very expensice, and their return policy is basically you buy it, you keep it.

Jeff
09-21-2007, 17:19
The Mountain Goat in Manchester, VT is first rate. They are really knowledgable about boots, shoes and insoles.

fehchet
09-21-2007, 17:44
Cloverdale, ? Is it in Canada?

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 17:46
Cloverdale, ? Is it in Canada?

Virginia, Next to Troutville

ScottP
09-21-2007, 18:41
There's an EMS in Manchester Center, VT

jlb2012
09-21-2007, 19:02
Rockfish Gap Outfitter in Waynesboro
Weasel Creek Outfitter in Front Royal

Blissful
09-21-2007, 19:40
there's an outfitter a mile or so from the AT in Kent, Ct.

The gal there didn't know what a fuel canister was. (!) Their supplies were really non existent. No fuel, no Aquamira. Unless other hikers got there and stripped the place clean.

I'd skip it. Just yuppy clothes. Though my hubby did find his boots there.

Blissful
09-21-2007, 19:44
Rockfish Gap Outfitter in Waynesboro
Weasel Creek Outfitter in Front Royal

Rockfish Gap Outfitters is AWESOME. The guy there has actually thru hiked, so he knows what he's talking about. They have tons of supplies. They supplied most of my gear and helped me change packs, sleeping bags, etc. They will do warrantee issues, no questions asked, including calling manufacturers where big joints like EMS refuse to do so. (another sad story on the trail) They are superb.

hopefulhiker
09-21-2007, 20:00
There was one in Gorham in 05. Plus there is a HUGE outfitter with lots of stuffed animals a few miles out of Port Clinton..

Hikerhead
09-21-2007, 20:41
There's an excellent outfitter in Cloverdale, about 0.4 mile west the trail on US-220, in the Botetourt Commons mall (where Krogers is.)

It's called Outdoor Trails and it's in Daleville.

Blue Jay
09-21-2007, 23:29
Rockfish Gap Outfitters is AWESOME. The guy there has actually thru hiked, so he knows what he's talking about. They have tons of supplies. They supplied most of my gear and helped me change packs, sleeping bags, etc. They will do warrantee issues, no questions asked, including calling manufacturers where big joints like EMS refuse to do so. (another sad story on the trail) They are superb.

This is exactly correct, Rockfish IS great. EMS has really really gone down hill. They turned into the Gap, only with less knowledgeable employees, no customer service and higher prices. It is smart to only go there as a last resort, you know exactly what you want and are willing to over pay for it, IF they even stock it anymore.

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 23:50
Hey, you can go to a hiker store if you want, but it's been my experience that you can get used hikers pretty cheap online and at yard sales.

If you do consider a used hiker, I'd go yard sale, 'cause almost all of the online people will lie about the condition.

minnesotasmith
09-21-2007, 23:54
I didn't really take much of a look at their gear selection the two times I was there. One was when I used it as a pickup point for SteveM to graciously trail-angel me to Hanover during my flipflop (at a time of day they weren't open yet), and the other was when I finished my thruhike there SOBOing from Hanover after doing NH and ME.

I was treated very well by the owner, who was present the second time I was there. He let Matthewski and I do the short (about 10 minutes) personal ceremony I had envisioned to mark the end of my thruhike in the inside back of his store, where he had moved the infamous bench I was picked up from earlier. He then took color pictures of us (I was apparently the first thruhiker to complete his hike at his store), and gave each of us a full-page copy.

He was a nice guy, and was a friend to this hiker when I was there.

rafe
09-22-2007, 05:15
This is exactly correct, Rockfish IS great. EMS has really really gone down hill. They turned into the Gap, only with less knowledgeable employees, no customer service and higher prices. It is smart to only go there as a last resort, you know exactly what you want and are willing to over pay for it, IF they even stock it anymore.

I'm afraid I have to agree. It's especially sad from my point of view because the original EMS (on Commonwealth Ave. in downtown Boston) was an amazing, one-of-a-kind store. Lately, my local EMS store has been useless. I stopped there a number of times before my last section hike, hoping to find a useful item or two, and almost always left empty-handed.

BTW, has anyone mentioned the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry? Easy walking distance from the trail. Pretty nice store. I got new boots there. Sent home the Wolverines, did the final 350 miles or so in New Balance trail runners.

mudhead
09-22-2007, 06:06
EMS, like most other stores I have been to, have gone the "clothing" route.

I assume that is what makes them money. Expensive, campus stuff.

I was very impressed with Kittery Trading Post. Selection was huge by my experience.

What gets me, when you ask for something, is: "We can order it for you."

Doughnut
09-22-2007, 08:05
OUtfitter's Store at NOC, in NC too. They have resupply items. Not sure about Fontana Dam, though I'm sure there's soemthing there.

Appalachian Tater
09-22-2007, 10:24
It's called Outdoor Trails and it's in Daleville.

The owners and staff there are very helpful and knowledgeable. When you first walk in you see nothing but racks of North Face but when you get to the back of the store you see that they have everything a hiker needs.

springerfever
09-22-2007, 11:49
The best hiker store in the Atlanta area is Mountain Crossings (Walasi-yi).
Not a bad drive from north Atlanta and a good chance to stretch the legs with a hike up Blood Mountain. By far the best selection of lightweight hiker gear and a professional and knowledgeable staff.

REI, Sun and Ski, and High Country are in the city but just not the caliber of Mountain Crossings.

Jack Tarlin
09-22-2007, 13:57
Seems like people pretty much have it covered.

In my opinion, the finest Outfitters on or near the Trail are, in no particular order:

*Walasi-Yi Center at Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap GA)
*Bluff Mountain Outfitters (Hot Springs NC)
*Mt. Rogers Outfitters (Damascus VA)
*The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry (Harpers Ferry WV)

Both the number, and the quality of the Outfitters generally declines the farther North you go.

Kirby
09-22-2007, 19:02
There is a outfitter in Greenville, Maine, 15 minutes from Monson. They have a lot of hunting stuff, so I would certainly not go there as a first stop, but if you are desperate for something, they might have it, no promises though.

As far as EMS goes, I have a good experiences with them, but then again, I go in there knowing exactly what I need, and knowing what questions I need answered. At my local EMS here in Portland, the "foot guru" was spectacular in helping me pick my shoes. He told me everything I could possibly need to know about my feet and how to find a good pair of shoes. I told him my price range and he found me a great pair of trail runners(Merrell).

Just a matter of opinion,
Kirby

Jester2000
09-24-2007, 23:36
BTW, has anyone mentioned the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry? Easy walking distance from the trail. Pretty nice store. I got new boots there. Sent home the Wolverines, did the final 350 miles or so in New Balance trail runners.

Love 'em. The only problem I seem to have is that every time I go there I buy something. So it's probably a good thing that I don't live too close.