PDA

View Full Version : do you use a water filter/purifier in freezing temps?

cabalot
11-09-2003, 17:11
do you use a water filter/purifier in freezing temps?
i am researching to decide on weather to by a filter or purifier and using iodine vs. chlorine tablets for additional safety and was curious about filters and purifiers in freezing temps. do they shatter or clog more. whats your experiences. :-?

Peaks
11-09-2003, 18:21
In freezing weather, the pump will freeze up and the filter get ruined if it freezes. I'd suggest using chemicals, and keep the chemicals from freezing. Or melt snow

icemanat95
11-09-2003, 18:37
do you use a water filter/purifier in freezing temps?
i am researching to decide on weather to by a filter or purifier and using iodine vs. chlorine tablets for additional safety and was curious about filters and purifiers in freezing temps. do they shatter or clog more. whats your experiences. :-?

Exactly right.

Ice crystals will form in the water as it passes through the filter cutting up the membranes of the filter. Eventually, the membranes will stop providing adequate protection. On Ceramic models, the water will freeze in the ceramic and crack it.

Boil water in freezing weather.

If you must rely on chemicals in freezing weather, be sure to leave MUCH greater exposure time for them to work as cold water circulates slowly at the molecular level. Exposure times may need to be tripled or worse. If you start with warm water and keep it warm, you'll be able to get away with normal exposure times.

DebW
11-09-2003, 18:42
The Sweetwater Guardian filter is OK to freeze. The filter element is not ceramic, and in fact they recommend storing the filter in your freezer at home. Of course, the pump and other parts could easily break if water freezes inside. The best bet in freezing weather is usually boiling the water. Just be sure to carry extra fuel. Melting snow for 2-3 people requires about a quart of gasoline fuel per day, depending on temperatures. Chemicals tend to work very slowly, if at all, in temperatures below 40 degrees F. Iodine pills are the best bet, as liquid chemicals can freeze solid. Warm the water if possible before adding the chemical.

Crispi72
02-11-2006, 02:55
i have used the MSR waterworks and miniworks in cold tmeperatures in the canadian rockies and they worked fine. i little slower outside, but functioned very well inside a tent or a cabin

rpettit
02-11-2006, 08:20
What do you mean by freezing temps? I have never had a problem using a water filter at 20+ degrees. I pack it in the center of my backpack to insulate it during the day and put it in my sleeping bag at night.

stupe
02-11-2006, 20:18
Used my ceramic purifier ( SweetWater ) in below 20 temps. It's never frozen while pumping, but I have had it freeze while stored in my pack. When it's that cold, I keep it in an inside pocket, and in my sleeping bag at night.

TwoForty
02-11-2006, 20:42
I've never had a problem with my Hiker. It has a paper filter and I haven't gotten sick yet!

SalParadise
02-11-2006, 22:24
but wouldn't a carbon filter be fine in freezing weather? since it's just carbon particles I'd have to think that there wouldn't be a problem with water expanding and contracting within the filtering carbon.

Smile
02-11-2006, 22:36
Just keep near your body, wrapped well in center of pack, you can also keep it in a ziplock in your bag with you at night by your feet, or inside a jacket if it's really cold. The water taste and look is more consitent with a filter, no floaty turds ;-)

vipahman
02-13-2006, 11:43
Ideally, I would boil, filter and chemically treat. But in winter, I leave out the filter part for 2 reasons: weight and freezing temps. Here's why.

The backpack is heavy enough with winter gear that I feel that the filter can go. Besides you don't usually need to filter snow because it does not have the crap in it from say a stream.

Secondly, carrying along a filter means there is one more item to pack into the center of the backpack. It's hard enough preventing water, food, camera, phone, etc from freezing that I would not add more to the list.

It's worked for me so far. YMMV.

papabear
02-14-2006, 18:14
I'm currently using an MSR water-filter pump and after a few experiences with reality, I have to say that I have had no real problems. I was up on Bald Mountain a few nights back when it was close to 20 below. The water froze in the tube and never made it to the filter. That was the only time it wouldn't work when fully operatrional.

I now travel with the plastic tube in my jacket pocket, coiled up and clear. I also, sleep with the pump most nights when it's cold. And most importantly ...

Although, MSR is a bit vague about this, you should probably clean the ceramic filter everytime you use it, just in case. The amount of build up on the filter is different every time it's used. It's better to keep it clean. It also gets you into the habit of breaking it down after every use so now excess water can get trapped up in the filter housing and freeze. Lastly, you should also blow out the intake spring and chamber as well, everytime, as a few drops of water generally collect there as well, can freeze and cause blockage.

I have had no other problems so far on my winter hike and it has served very well. It's better to be safe than sorry.

LIhikers
02-15-2006, 16:01
My wife and I use an MSR Sweet Water filter. During below freezing temperatures I keep it inside my jacket during the day and inside my sleeping bag at night.

jasonklass
02-15-2006, 22:15
I use a Miniworks all the time for winter camping and have never had a problem in sub-freezing temps. Just pump all the water out. If you're really concerned, just keep it in a ziplock in your sleeping bag at night.