PDA

View Full Version : Water situation in Central Va

stormin norman
09-22-2007, 22:16
I am planning to be out for a week in early Oct and am trying to get an idea of the availability of water out there. Could anyone out there provide some information on water sources from Cloverdale north to Waynesboro? Thanks

rafe
09-22-2007, 22:37
I am planning to be out for a week in early Oct and am trying to get an idea of the availability of water out there. Could anyone out there provide some information on water sources from Cloverdale north to Waynesboro? Thanks

It's kinda tough. Most of the springs and creeks are dry. Grab water wherever you can. If you're heading up the ridge, carry at least 2-3 quarts. PM me if you want a more detailed description -- I'd have to consult my diary to tell you exactly which sources were dry and which were still flowing.

stormin norman
09-24-2007, 13:51
Sent you a PM

Sly
09-24-2007, 13:56
Terrapin, if you can post the detailed info here it may be of some help to others.

rafe
09-24-2007, 14:45
Terrapin, if you can post the detailed info here it may be of some help to others.

Here's the PM I just sent norman. I'll try to follow up later...

I'll have to consult my diary and memory when I get home. But in general you can count on the ridges to be dry. The larger streams (in valleys and gaps) are still flowing. Priest Shelter's spring was OK but marginal. The spring at Seeley-Woodworth shelter was OK (just barely.) Marble spring (on a ridge, south of the James River) was OK... at least, useable. Punchbowl Shelter has a small pond which feeds a spring... no problems there. That's it from memory for right now...

To which I add, again from memory:

Harpers Creek: creek barely flowing but there were large useable pools of water (OK with filtering or treatment.) Bryant Ridge: Stream OK. Bobblet's Gap: creek is dry. Campbell shelter: spring dry. (Spring OK at the next shelter SOBO, on the south side of McAfeee summit.) Jennings Creek: no problems, but next shelter south (I forget the name) has no water. Thunder Ridge shelter: spring dry.

Altared
09-24-2007, 14:52
My husband and I will be doing from I-77 to Pearisburg Oct 12th to 15th. Any info about that?
Thanks!

rafe
09-24-2007, 19:47
Ref. post #5, here are the last few (remaining) water-source datapoints from my diary for the region between Waynesboro (9/8/07) and Cloverdale (9/15/07). Bear in mind the dates. There was some rain on 9/14 but from what I could see it certainly wasn't a drought-buster. The creek next to Bobblet's Gap shelter was still not running, even after the rain.

* Good stream near Paul C. Wolfe shelter (1st shelter S of Waynesboro)
* my next H20 refill was from a drinking fountain at Humpback picnic area (0.4 miles off the trail to the west)
* Maupin field: spring (stream?) must have been OK, I filled the Platy there
* Johns Hollow shelter: stream next to shelter flowing nicely
* there were one or two good streams in the gaps about halfway between Bobblet's Gap shelter and Daleville/Cloverdale.

stormin norman
10-02-2007, 21:23
Thanks for all information. Since I am planning on hitting the trail on Friday, does anyone have any more information on the water conditions? Just want to get any last minute updates.