PDA

View Full Version : Osprey or Golite?

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 16:37
Hellooo, I'm lookin at the Osprey Atmos 50 (or maybe a bigger version) vs. the Golite Pinnacle.

Anyone use either of these packs? I'm specifically interested in knowing if the Golite Pinnacle has enough support to carry a 30 lb load. The company says it can handle 40 lbs, so I figure one could carry between 5-10 pounds less than that comfortably.

Any thoughts?

Peaks
09-23-2007, 16:41
Try them both on fully loaded with your gear, water, and food.

Cuffs
09-23-2007, 16:42
I cannot comment on Golite Pinnacle, but I own and love the Osprey Atmos 50! Its a medium and it just holds everything, enough for 5-6 days.

I do have Golite Galaxy but have not had it out yet...

Jack Tarlin
09-23-2007, 16:47
I'm not sure whether or not the fault was gross overloading or ignoring weight specs, but I've worked in many Outfitter shops over the years and have dealt with dozens of thru-hikers who reported pack problems, including many major blow-outs.

I probably saw seven or eight times as many blown-out Go-lites as I did Ospreys.

On many different levels and in many different ways, I think Osprey makes a more durable product.

sweetpeastu
09-23-2007, 17:38
great...too bad no one in my town carries Ospreys. lol. I was sorta leanin towards the Osprey anyway, cause I've had one on before with a bunch of gear in it and it was great. The Golite I was gonna try out, but was wondering about durability. They seem so...fragile.

Topcat
09-23-2007, 17:42
hey, order it online. Take your measurements, order the right size and then try it out going up and down steps fully loaded. if you dont like or it doesnt fit, send it back. Many will do this with no problem.

Jack Tarlin
09-23-2007, 17:42
Try to visit Damascus, go to Mt. Rogers Outfitters, and ask for Jeff or Tom to professionally fit you!

Or visit Osprey's website and find out if there's a shop closer to where you live.

g8trh8tr
09-23-2007, 18:37
I really like my Atmos 50. The only negative in my eyes about the pack is it could have more shoulder strap padding. That is easily remedied with homemade padding though.

Ewker
09-23-2007, 20:21
great...too bad no one in my town carries Ospreys. lol. I was sorta leanin towards the Osprey anyway, cause I've had one on before with a bunch of gear in it and it was great. The Golite I was gonna try out, but was wondering about durability. They seem so...fragile.

the one Go-lite (Trek) I have isn't fragile. It is recommended to carry 30lbs. I stuff it up to almost 40 lbs on my Sierra trip 2 yrs ago. Yes it stretched its limits but held up quite well. I also have an Osprey Atmos 65 that does what it is suppose to do. I used it on my AT section hike earlier this yr. It was stuffed also. The Osprey takes some time getting use to packing, due to the curved frame section.

Jim Adams
09-23-2007, 23:14
On many different levels and in many different ways, I think Osprey makes a more durable product.

especially comfort! Love my Atmos 50.

geek

ScottP
09-24-2007, 20:10
Those osprey atmos packs can be a hassle because the weight is a ways back from your body, so it takes more energy to turn. The Talon series is a lighter, probably better built pack than the atmos series. Obviously some people are willing to deal with the hassle of the atmos for the venilation though.

If you want to go to the lighter side, ULA and Six Moons Designs make better packs. Golite is the new north face.