PDA

View Full Version : Jordan's first hike

Suzzz
09-23-2007, 19:56
Those of you who have been reading my recent posts know that I have recently adopted a nine year old boy and had to postpone the first leg of my section hike of the AT scheduled for September.

As a new parent, I had a lot of fears and expectations, one of which was whether or not Jordan would like hiking and camping as much as I do. Well, it may be a little early to know for sure but I think the answer to that might be a YES!!!

Today was Jordan's first ever hike. We took it easy of course, choosing an old logging road about half an hour from our house. We walked a total of 4 miles (2 miles each way). Expecting to eat sandwiches for lunch, he was mostly impressed when he saw that you can prepare a nice tasty meal with a very small stove. He didn't have to carry a backpack and we let him set the pace. We saw a ton of squirls, birds, butterflies, and even a snake.

On the way home, we stopped by grandma's house to say hi and he gave both grand parents a detailed account of his day. When asked if he'd like to do it again, he spontaneously answered "Yes!".

As you can imagine, I'm absolutely delighted. Babysitters are always an option but enjoying the outdoors as a family is so much better. I can't wait to take him out for an overnighter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-23-2007, 21:24
::: Dino seen dabbing tears from eyes as mother and child bond :::

buckowens
09-23-2007, 22:49
Being a tough Army guy, I only tear up in the cloak of darkness... OK, it's dark and Roo and the family are sleeping...

Way to go and many more!! That calls for two bannanas :banana :banana .

Lone Wolf
09-24-2007, 00:01
that's good stuff right there.

TJ aka Teej
09-24-2007, 07:39
Those of you who have been reading my recent posts know that I have recently adopted a nine year old boy.

:welcome to walking in the woods, Jordan!!

LIhikers
09-24-2007, 12:08
Glad to hear it worked out so well :)

wrongway_08
09-24-2007, 12:47
Smiles! Sounds like more hiking soon.......perfect time of year for it also!