PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch History

Brushy Sage
09-23-2007, 20:41
A few days ago I saw an archived article from the Marshall (NC) News-Record that told of an automobile (a V-8) trip through Hot Springs up to Max Patch -- in 1935! There were some abandoned "tourist cabins" near the crest, and most interesting to me, there was a "landing field" and a sign indicating it was the highest landing field in the east. I wonder what kinds of aircraft might have landed there in 1935.

hacksaw
09-24-2007, 16:51
I was on max patch one day a few years back and got to talking to an old gentleman who had lived nearby all his life. He got to talking about max patch history and part of his talk was about the huge air shows that used to be held over the site back in the thirties and up to world war two.

He said that there would be tens of thousands of people fron all over NC and TN come for days at a time for these events camping on the higher peaks around the area.

This was back in the days of biplanes and traveling barnstormers so you can figure that most all of the WWI and later types were represented. These planes didn't require much runway length or a very smoothe surface to get up and down. I bet it was quite a show!

Brushy Sage
09-24-2007, 18:40
Great information! Thanks much.

rhjanes
09-25-2007, 09:21
I flew in a 1931 (I think that was the year) Stearman Bi-plane. It rolled about 75 yards, lifted it's tail, bounced once, and we were airborne. It was close to flying a Kleenex! You tip those bi-winds so they catch the wind, and you shoot about .25 miles with the wind, before you know what happened!

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/warbird_rides.htm

my dad is a USAF vetern and volunteers time at the Cavanaugh, so I scored a ride.

hacksaw
09-26-2007, 13:37
Hey, thanks for that link! That's a really cool deal.

Haven't been in a Texan since my Marine Base flying club days in Japan in the '60s! We got hold of one of the converted AT 6s used in the movie TORA TORA TORA. It was still in Japanese trim (complete with the meatballs). We spent months gettng it ready for airworthiness certification and then the two senior pilots were flying it up to Tokyo or someplace around there to get it certified and flew it into the side of a mountain. That ended that! (Seems they ran it outa' gas...stupid Navy Pilots!)

rhjanes
09-27-2007, 09:32
The Cavanaugh is something else. Best kept secret around. they restored and have on display, the world champion.....what, b-24 or b25??? It looks better than anything in the Smithsonian. And they FLEW it up to Oskosh. Matter of fact, something like 80 percent of their craft, FLY!!! They have even gotten special noise permits (Addison Airport is surrounded by neighborhoods), to fly stuff like the F4, f101 etc.
They also restore stuff, but you can't get in the hanger (I can, with my dad). They also loose some! They crashed a gullwing some 10 years back. On the ground accident. Pilot hurt bad.

hacksaw
09-29-2007, 21:36
The Grand Champion at the Oshkosh Show was a B-25J "Mitchell" medium bomber, one of the most widely used bomber types in WWII. It served in every theater and was used in various bomb and ground attack configurations. An excellent and sturdy aircraft.

To my knowledge there are no B 24 Liberators in flyable condition.

rhjanes
09-29-2007, 23:56
The Grand Champion at the Oshkosh Show was a B-25J "Mitchell" medium bomber, one of the most widely used bomber types in WWII. It served in every theater and was used in various bomb and ground attack configurations. An excellent and sturdy aircraft.

To my knowledge there are no B 24 Liberators in flyable condition.

Yep, I should have checked. their B-25 is their "crown Jewel".
http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/Mitchell.htm

chief
09-30-2007, 00:23

To my knowledge there are no B 24 Liberators in flyable condition.Last year there was one flying in Midland, Texas. I assume it still is.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 11:31
Chief, you are absolutly correct. I searched Consolidated B 24 Liberator and found that the Collings Foundation (<www.collingsfoundation.org>) has the only flyable Liberator in the world. They even offer rides in the big bird!

chief
09-30-2007, 13:41
Hacksaw, I meant to mention my uncle flew B-24s just after the war, though his war experience was with B-17s. He had lots of great (harrowing) stories! At one time (in the 60s I believe), he actually owned and flew a B-25 which had been converted for corporate use. Unfortunately I never got a chance fly with him because my parents thought he was a dare devil type.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 14:00
Chief, I've been watching that new miniseries "The War" by Ken Burns on PBS. Judging from what I've seen, If your uncle was in any of the action over Europe he is a brave and lucky man. Those guys knew what their chances were, but (in true AMERICAN fashion) went out mission after mission. I don't see how they had room for the bombs with ten sets of giant cohones on board.

Man, I'd LOVE to get a ride on a B-25. My favorite WWII twin engine bomber.