PDA

View Full Version : which section in March?

A-Train
11-10-2003, 02:01
I've got one precious week off for spring break 04 in the middle of march. I'm trying to decide a section hike I can do in 4 or 5 days...
My main thoughts so far have been..

Hot Springs to Erwin
Erwin to Kincorra
Grayson Highlands (damascus to Atkins)
Catawba to James River
Duncannon to Port Clinton
either southern or northern half of smokies. I loved the northern half and had great weather, so I'd love to do them again. Hated the southern half due to horrible weather, would like to do them again in good weather.

This year I was in the natahala/southern smokies at this time in march. I assume no matter where I go its gonna be cold and brown...? Is there anywhere in particular that would be good to hike in at this time of year??

Any other cool trail in the east/north east??

Is Maine not even a question at this time of year or does it depend on snow?

Other option is just to pretend I'm hiking and go visit miss Janet, Bob Peoples, kincorra, southern trail friends

Thanks for any thoughts A-Train

Lone Wolf
11-10-2003, 06:09
I would do the visiting thing and incorporate day hikes into the mix.

Moose2001
11-10-2003, 07:49
Alex, if you only have a week, I'd think about doing some trail angel stuff. Because of my knee problem, I had to take 10 days off in 2003. I had a rental car and shuttled hikers and did other stuff for them. I had a great time. Might be good to repay some of the goodness you received in 2003.

MOWGLI
11-10-2003, 08:15
If you only have one precious week, I wouldn't spend 2-3 days of that time in a car. I'd try and maximize my time in the woods. Why don't you hike in the Catskills? If snow is an issue, you could move a bit south. TRy the Long Path from Harriman State Park to the Shawangunks. It's a great trail and will give you a different flavor than the AT.

Blue Jay
11-10-2003, 08:45
How could snow be an issue, you live in Vermont? You must have several pairs of snowshoes and CC skies. You could try a piece of the Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks.

manzana
11-10-2003, 16:49
Alex, if you only have a week, I'd think about doing some trail angel stuff. Because of my knee problem, I had to take 10 days off in 2003. I had a rental car and shuttled hikers and did other stuff for them. I had a great time. Might be good to repay some of the goodness you received in 2003.
Let me know if you want to trail angel. I will be angelling during this time too. I could use a hand. Free room and board if you want to stay in a tent 8-).

:D

manzana

smokymtnsteve
11-10-2003, 18:38

I for one really appreciated it Moose...My son and I had did the leComte loop in the smokies...and came out on a rainy Monday morning(day after easter) into Newfound Gap...My son had to be back to school that afternoon....you were taking some other hikers back toward Clingmans and then came back for me and took me to my car tht I had left at the Alum Cave parking lot....It really helped me and I Appreciate it...Thanks

spending a few days "trail angeling" is great fun.....I agree with you...

stormin norman
11-10-2003, 22:53
A-Train,

You may want to check out the PATC website for information on trails in PA & Md. The PATC does a great job on trail maintenance and can probably give you good information on various trails that may meet your time frame. You may want to look at the Black Forest Trail in north central PA or possibly the Tuscarora Trail from Hancock, MD to the intersection of the AT near Duncannon, Pa.

Also, if you plan on hiking from Duncannon to Port Clinton let me know and maybe I can help give you a ride to or from one of these trailheads.