PDA

View Full Version : Bird Banding - suggestion for a fall hike

DiamondDoug
09-24-2007, 14:36
I was up on Big Bald in NC yesterday and came across a couple of volunteers for the Fish and Wildlife service who are up there banding birds. I stopped long enough to see them release a sharp shinned hawk into the wild after they had caught it and banded it. Pretty cool.

I didn't stay long enough to get the full story, but do know they are set up to be there for the next two months. I understand they do this up there every fall - the bald is on the fall migratory route. They have quite a complex set of nets strung for catching the birds. I'm not sure if all they do is raptors or not.

My point is, if you are looking for an interesting and educational hike this fall (and scenic, too, what with going over Big Bald) a hike between Sam's Gap going north to Erwin might be right for you. The folks I met and spoke with were very glad to share their knowledge - there was a high school group up there as well. Plus you get to see some cool birds.

As it has been dry, I can report the spring at Bald Mountain shelter is wet and running. The shelter is clean and in good condition, and the privy has even been, um, tended. (Oh the joys of being a section maintainer.)

MOWGLI
09-24-2007, 14:41
Thanks for the report Doug.