PDA

View Full Version : Day Hike Suggestions south of GSMNP

DG_on_AT
09-24-2007, 15:26
I'm considering a day hike this coming weekend, and need some help with planning. I recently moved back to Knoxville, TN, after living in Johnson City, TN (worked in Erwin:banana ) and I'm not as familiar with the AT from south of GSMNP as I am with the north side of GSMNP.

Can anyone recommend a good day hike that meets most of the following criteria:

1) on the AT south of GSMNP because I want to take my dog
2) has to be a loop because I'll only have 1 car
3) preferably 5 miles orless round trip (this is the dog's first hiking trip)
4) scenic turnaround point for lunch break (bald, view, shelter, etc.)
5) between Fontana and the entrance to the Smokies to keep driving time from Knoxville reasonable

Overall, I want to give the dog some trail experience, try out the cat stove and pepsi stoves I just finished making, and see a section of the AT I haven't seen before.

Thanks for the help.

DG_on_AT
09-24-2007, 15:30
Actually, I would also consider recommendations on the north side of the park near Newport, because it's just as close, maybe closer. Thanks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-24-2007, 16:05
Check out the Max Patch area - nice views and a number of ways to make a loop.

kofritz
09-24-2007, 16:27
any bald, including cooper which lets you get up to wayah; & cheoah, 4.7 miles from the road...good luck....

fehchet
09-24-2007, 16:42
Sounds like fun. And the poor puppy dog will soon be super tail dog ready for a twenty any time.

The Weasel
09-24-2007, 16:43
Base to or from the NOC.

TW

Tennessee Viking
09-24-2007, 17:08
You might want to circuit the AT from Davenport Gap into the park and down to the BMT and back to Davenport Gap.

Max Patch is probably the most popular spots just north of the park. There are some easy loops in the area. There is a 1.5 & 3 mile loop.

Not the AT. But if you go up to the Parkway south of Waynesville NC, there is the Art Loeb & MST & Graveyard Fields that you can circuit.

Roots
09-24-2007, 17:44
The absolute, worth your effort and time bald is Cheoah. From Stecoah Gap it is 5.3 miles-one way. A little more than you were wanting in mileage, but WELL WORTH IT! We just did a hike through there last week. AWESOME! If that seems like a little too much for pup, then I would suggest Wesser bald because it is extremely easy access and only 1.4 miles-one way. Its not Cheoah, but it is pretty from the tower up top. Vegetation is grown up pretty good right before reaching the top-or at least it was in July-so be aware of that. If you decide the Cheoah way then take plenty of H2O because it is bone dry around there. Wesser side isn't as bad, but all sides are eat up with bees. Good hiking to ya!

DG_on_AT
09-24-2007, 20:02
I appreciate all the good recommendations.

Does the 3 mile loop referred to above start at Lemon Gap?

SGT Rock
09-24-2007, 20:05
Well if you do the Slickrock/Ike Branch loop you would get about 6 miles in, but also get to see the lower Slickrock falls. It is worth it in my opinion.

Tennessee Viking
09-24-2007, 20:52
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/hot_springs_trails.pdf

You could actually do Lemon Gap to Max Patch, and loop back on the road. TN 107 ends at Lemon Gap turning into Max Patch Road. So you could park, hike the AT, and do roadside on the return but whats the fun with that.

I have only done the AT at Max Patch. But this is what info I heard on the loops. There are a couple entry points. Coming up from Harmon Den to Max Patch Road. You will see the AT cross the road. Then if you continue up to the main parking area. There will be a gate and stair stile, and a forest road next to it. Cross the stile (but do not traverse the slope, its signed as protected grass). There will be a trail following the fence line back to the AT, and up to the summit. After the top of the summit top, there you will come to signing for the short loop which will take you down to the forest road. And bring you back to the main parking area.

If you continue on the AT, you will come on a wooded campsite then down to an old berry garden. This point has the best view of Max Patch from below.

Continue down the flat grade to a junction, this junction is the long loop. It will take you back near the AT crossing of Max Patch Road.

Continue further down and it opens up to a field where a horse trail parallels the AT. This trail has high grass and leads back to Max Patch Road.

Continue further and come to the forest road, next to Roaring Creek, leading back to the main parking area.

Tennessee Viking
09-24-2007, 21:01
I hear good things about Joyce Wilmer/SlickRock if you want wilderness.

DG_on_AT
09-25-2007, 08:13
I've decided Max Patch is the winner. THanks for the link above, it shows me what I need to know.

DG_on_AT
09-25-2007, 08:16
I've decided Max Patch is the winner. Thanks for the link, it shows me what I needed to know.

MOWGLI
09-25-2007, 10:16
You might want to circuit the AT from Davenport Gap into the park and down to the BMT and back to Davenport Gap.

Doggie is not allowed in the park.

max patch
09-25-2007, 10:24
I've decided Max Patch is the winner.

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

DG_on_AT
09-30-2007, 16:47
Belle thanks everyone for their suggestions. She has proven herself as trailworthy.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/davetyegreen/BelleResized.jpg