PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Creek upgrades or something new!

bhc4985
09-25-2007, 00:37
First off, this is my first posting (although Ive been a long time guest observer) so hi to everyone!

Ive been using a crazy crib hammock for several years now and have really loved it. Huge improvement over the ground. Well, there are some things I love about it. The fact that it comes webbing to hang it with instead of having to tie knots is great, and it literally takes a minute to hang the hammock itself. The webbing also attaches at two points and helps spread the hammock out and prevent wrap around which I have seen in some friends hammocks. I also like the pocket for the sleeping pad because until I noticed it (im kinda slow sometimes) my pad was sliding around. The best thing about it ... is I already own it, and im a broke college kid. However, Ive run into some problems with it. For one, the lack of insect netting is irritating at times. Also, the tarp stinks. Im on my second one already but they just keep losing their waterproofing. Its not drip from the string either. Its also weighs more then the hammock for some stupid reason. So ive decide before next season Im gonna do something about these issues. The question Im facing now though is that I cant seem to figure out a reasonable way to upgrade what I have. Id like to buy a new tarp, but anything thats an improvement costs a fortune, and I wanted to figure out a way to use some cheapo no see um netting separatly but im failing at that as well. So Ive started looking into new hammocks, which presents its own set of quandries. As I said, im kinda slow sometimes, and trusting in my knot tying ability scares me. Plus, while hennessy certainly seems to reign supreme around here, im not a huge fan of my friends ultralight, and am not sure if any other model would be an improvement. So anyways, I was hoping someone might have some input, either on how to imrpove what I have, or any opinions on a new hammock for someone who hasnt been sold on a hennessy hammock yet. Thanks!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-25-2007, 04:36
I suggest you look into this forum: Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php) for detailed answers to your questions. Many there have modified or made their own hammocks. It isn't nearly as hard as it sounds. They also have several knot-tying tutorials for the faint of heart :D