PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do Adventure Racing?

The Wisconsinite
09-25-2007, 11:21
I'm thinking of trying to get in shape for one next year, so I was wondering if anyone else here has done one. I'm also a little intimidated, because so many of these things seem hardcore and require a lot of money and free time. Is there even such a thing as beginning adventure racing? I believe I will mostly be doing the weekend stuff, called sprints, but some of them still seem pretty hardcore. Has anyone done one in the NYC area?

The Urbanathlon in NYC is this weekend, so I might go check that out. Its not really an adventure race, but it requires some urban running, a skyscraper ascent, and a few obstacle courses along the way, so it seems like it could be fun. I'll watch this year, and see if I want to do it.

Anyways, just wondering if people here are into that sort of thing.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 11:24
i've done some 50 mile ultramarathons. lotsa fun

Erin
09-25-2007, 14:00
I have done the day long ones that include canoeing, mountain biking, running and orienteering and they are a blast. You don't have to be a hard core to do the races. It is a great get in shape goal. Active.com should have a list of races in your area, and running stores usually have flyers or a calendar of next year's races available.

Jim Adams
09-25-2007, 14:08
[quote=Erin;413807]I have done the day long ones that include canoeing, mountain biking, running and orienteering and they are a blast. You don't have to be a hard core to do the races. It is a great get in shape goal. Active.com should have a list of races in your area, and running stores usually have flyers or a calendar of next year's races available.[/quote

I agree with Erin. Did a few when I was younger and they are a good time.
:cool:
Ask at outfitters, climbing stores and whitewater centers that are located IN THE wild areas. Most of the time these stores also sponsor the race because they are there. Usually they will have dates and details.
Good luck and have fun.

geek

Phreak
09-25-2007, 14:45
Yes, adventure races are a blast! I've ran ultrathons for years and have just recently gotten into the adventure race scene.

The Wisconsinite
09-27-2007, 10:38
Thanks everyone. Does anyone currently plan on doing on in the NYC area this fall or next year? I might try and go watch one, and if anyone is training, hopefully we can hook up sometime.

Tom

johnny quest
09-27-2007, 10:55
adventure races are cool! i got into it by volunteering to work them first. you get a real insiders look. the muddybuddy series is fun. see if there is one near you. also fun are hash house harrier clubs.....drinkers with a running problem!

Ewker
09-27-2007, 11:05
Yes, adventure races are a blast! I've ran ultrathons for years and have just recently gotten into the adventure race scene.

Phreak, are you a member of the TrailBlazers out of Atlanta?

www.trailblazerar.com (http://www.trailblazerar.com)

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 16:25
www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1780&highlight=adventure+race

jbwood5
09-27-2007, 18:06
I do ultra-running (50K to 100 miles). These are low key runs that are fun. There is no need to race unless that's your thing. It's a world of difference from marathon running and we are almost always on trails or dirt roads. It keeps your legs in pretty good shape for backpacking, but you still need some backpacking conditioning which comes quickly to trail runners. Both activities compliment each other very well.

The Wisconsinite
09-27-2007, 18:45
I'm not sure I have the time to train for a marathon, nevermind an ultramarathon. Although it does sound like a lot of fun. How long does it take you to finish 50K or 100 Miles?

That link to the Amazon race would be too much for me. I don't have the time to spend 6 days in a bug infested jungle, nor would I probably want to. I'm not that tough, unfortunately. But the weekend stuff sounds like great fun.

jbwood5
09-27-2007, 19:48
I'm not sure I have the time to train for a marathon, nevermind an ultramarathon. Although it does sound like a lot of fun. How long does it take you to finish 50K or 100 Miles?

That link to the Amazon race would be too much for me. I don't have the time to spend 6 days in a bug infested jungle, nor would I probably want to. I'm not that tough, unfortunately. But the weekend stuff sounds like great fun.

50 K's take from -4 to 6+ hours and 100 milers have a very wide range of completion times, but typically 24 to 30 hours for the average fairly well conditioned runner.

I always thought a 100 miler was totally insane and only for human freaks of nature..... that is until I was section hiking the AT and met up with a 70+ year old guy hiking and we started talking. His trail name was Shake and he had run Vermont in his 50's and basically told me that if I could hike the AT with 40#s of gear and I could run a 50 K or 50 mile run, I could finish the Vermont 100. I ran it a few weeks after my hike and finished in about 22-1/2 hours. I could hardly walk for 2 to 3 days. :eek:

Lone Wolf
09-27-2007, 20:34
I'm not sure I have the time to train for a marathon, nevermind an ultramarathon. Although it does sound like a lot of fun.

BS. ultras are totally different than road marathons. i ain't built like a "runner". but i know pain and how to keep going. most ultra runners are weenies who just "finish" i push myself and place in the top 20% in the events i entered. please consider a trail ultra. fun stuff! :)

LIhikers
09-28-2007, 13:23
For training purposes you can start by participating in Orienteering meets. They get you off the roads, into the great outdoors, where you can run in all types of terain to your hearts content, or limit.

johnny quest
09-28-2007, 13:30
if you, like me, really dont care for running for runnings sake, the adventure races or hashhouse runs are perfect. they serve to distract you from the running. they break it up.