PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a place to take a nap...

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 11:59
Hiking in 2008. Going to need to take a nap. Where?

Johnny

Appalachian Tater
09-25-2007, 12:01
Shelters are good places to take naps because they are empty during the day and for the most part are dark like caves.

The Weasel
09-25-2007, 12:07
On top of balds, in the sun.

TW

Miu
09-25-2007, 12:08
In a hammock!

Freeleo
09-25-2007, 12:24
jsut sleep walk...you will cover more miles that way

Gray Blazer
09-25-2007, 12:42

Johnny

Do you feel nappy? :D

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 12:53
I'm a nappy headed hiker

Miss Janet
09-25-2007, 13:23
Hey! I think Lone Wolf might me looking for you at road crossings... I think I read that in one of his other threads.... :)

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 13:45
Hey! I think Lone Wolf might me looking for you at road crossings... I think I read that in one of his other threads.... :)

Preposterous! I'd be napping and nowhere near any road crossings.

Let me restate my question:

Where is the best napping location on the trail?

(Remember that your favorite is far better than his/hers and that shelters suck)

max patch
09-25-2007, 13:59
I don't nap on the trail.

Which is good inasmuch as the ONLY time I've ever (accidentally) napped was on my thru when I fell asleep at lunch on top of Moody Mtn in Maine. When I woke up I promptly walked down the mountain the wrong way.

Jim Adams
09-25-2007, 14:01
Let's see....Round Bald, Hump Mt., Max Patch, Mt.Lafayette. I really enjoyed a wonderful nap on Mt Success........So many spots, so little sleep!

geek

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 16:22
doyal, rm23, w/ bfc,.....best in a long while.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 16:23
the doyle? it's hot and stinky.

hopefulhiker
09-25-2007, 16:25
I took naps on top of picnic tables at shelters..

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 16:25
bfc aint..............

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 16:26
and bfc is....?

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 16:34
BFC= **** Flouride Carbonite...it's a rare herb that strengthens your teeth and makes you see Wookies.

pure_mahem
09-25-2007, 16:44
Not Best Friend's Chic? Ooops!

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 16:50
bfc's a cat that hangs around the doyal.

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 16:56
Like a 'hepcat'?

TOW
09-25-2007, 17:05

Johnny
When you get to Damascus or before you get here, get in contact with me and I may be able to help you a bit if you need a rest.

TOW
09-25-2007, 17:08
Preposterous! I'd be napping and nowhere near any road crossings.

Let me restate my question:

Where is the best napping location on the trail?

(Remember that your favorite is far better than his/hers and that shelters suck)
I have been known to just lay my sleeping pad along the trail and take a quick nap. And hikers have walked on by. I'm sure it was pretty obvious that I was napping because they probably heard me snoring long before they seen me...........:D

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 17:08
When you get to Damascus or before you get here, get in contact with me and I may be able to help you a bit if you need a rest.

That's what I'm talking about!

(all joking aside, thanks for the offer)

Johnny

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 17:19
while the office of the mayor of billville's spinsters may be selling the latest adoptee of the infamouse leauge of hikers as new blood, johnny thunders past may present roadblocks for the young upstart on the path to the mayors office. if this future hopefull for the billville party is to have a fighting chance at one day being mayor, todays allegations that he in fact plagerized most of his nomination speech and this very threads idea from a member of his own party , shook the hiking world. when asked if mr thunder coppyed matthewski's style to gain the mayors favor, matthewski's spokesperson released a written statement that matthewski was not reachable for comment and was exspected to be offline untill the planned afternoon meeting and pick up on the thursday of the gathering. an exspert in the feild of thread politics said on abc news today that the latest "nap" thread does in fact bare striking simularitys both in simplisity and elegence as those of mr matthewski's but lacked the crucial spelling needed for a judge to rule in the case. mayor jester will speek on the matter within the hour according to unamed sources. in related news, the mayor is exspected to hold the office for many more years and since the office only changes due to death or pureblazeing,...it seems mr thunder has time to recoupe.

Panzer1
09-25-2007, 20:10
I sometimes take a nap at lunch time. Wherever that is...

Panzer

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 20:12
This thread is making me sleepy.

Socrates
09-25-2007, 22:34
Where to get good naps? lol Is this code for something maybe? Maybe someone should PM me with more info... I like to uh "nap" too... lol

Ridgerunner50
09-26-2007, 06:40
Under a group of pine trees. On the soft needles on the ground or hanging in a hammock. Love those pines! :sun

mweinstone
09-26-2007, 07:23
im typing to you live from the tips of my fingers. this morning has arrived with a start. i made strong mala type coffie and got all gussyed up cleanlike ,..like lonewolf does,...and im writting weird stuff on the internet the way i do and im thinking of having faceial surgery to make me more cammolike. meanwhile my gathering steaks and bacon products are frozen tight in the freezer waiting to be unioned with my now sweaty with anticipation pack witch awaits patiently on the floor drunk on its own knob creek fumes eminating from its very bowels.all thats left now is to impatently wait and wine. and rant. and then go to work. after eating bacon, and ranting some more.hey! heres an idea! why dont we all bring kites? i am. heres a question,....hypotheticaly,...if i did bring a slingshot ,.....and if i did poach a rabbit,.....and lets say i went ahead and cooked it all nicey nice like,........would most of you freak out and forever ban me from your hearts? and would you be upset more for the breaking of the law or for the killing of the rabbit? and if you learned that gettysburg has a small rabbit overpopulation problem would you be as upset? and if you knew i did it far from folks and risked no stray stone,.....and if it tasted good,.....who wouldnt care? cause you can catch rabbits by hand in gettysburg. im just wonderin,..im not bringin any weapons or rabbit sauce dont worry. im just really curious how pissed folks would get .if i saw one of our members catching one, id be really pissed for the singular reason that its against hikerdoms reputation. that would be my only prob.

Lone Wolf
09-26-2007, 07:25
grown men and kites is gay

mweinstone
09-26-2007, 07:26
that was ment for the gathering thread. dino? lil help?

we now return you to your nap allready in progress.

mweinstone
09-26-2007, 07:29
are gay oh grammerless one. your right. one of gay folks best inventions. made for gay men,...but i like it too!(seacret deodorant commercial)my favorite thing about gay men is they create a chick surpluss for us straitys.

Gray Blazer
09-26-2007, 07:40
are gay oh grammerless one. your right. one of gay folks best inventions. made for gay men,...but i like it too!(seacret deodorant commercial)my favorite thing about gay men is they create a chick surpluss for us straitys.

ewe argh funney! whatch owt four gaybees wenn ewe taik yoor knap awn thee trayl!

mudhead
09-26-2007, 07:46
grown men and kites is gay

Flying kites can make one happy.

Lone Wolf
09-26-2007, 07:47
Flying kites can make one happy.

so can drinking beer in a wife-beater

mudhead
09-26-2007, 07:51
I've never understood a sleeveless t-shirt. Are they comfortable?

Johnny Thunder
09-26-2007, 13:09
A Haiku:

Just ate Taco Bell

Gonna have some alone time

What's a real good book?

Johnny Thunder
09-26-2007, 14:06
while the office of the mayor of billville's spinsters may be selling the latest adoptee of the infamouse leauge of hikers as new blood, johnny thunders past may present roadblocks for the young upstart on the path to the mayors office. if this future hopefull for the billville party is to have a fighting chance at one day being mayor, todays allegations that he in fact plagerized most of his nomination speech and this very threads idea from a member of his own party , shook the hiking world. when asked if mr thunder coppyed matthewski's style to gain the mayors favor, matthewski's spokesperson released a written statement that matthewski was not reachable for comment and was exspected to be offline untill the planned afternoon meeting and pick up on the thursday of the gathering. an exspert in the feild of thread politics said on abc news today that the latest "nap" thread does in fact bare striking simularitys both in simplisity and elegence as those of mr matthewski's but lacked the crucial spelling needed for a judge to rule in the case. mayor jester will speek on the matter within the hour according to unamed sources. in related news, the mayor is exspected to hold the office for many more years and since the office only changes due to death or pureblazeing,...it seems mr thunder has time to recoupe.

From the Desk of Das Weasel:

As the defacto legal counsel to one, Johnney Thunders, I would like to pattently refute all claims of plagiarism leveled against Mr Thunders by M. Weinstone. It is the opinion of this office that Mr Weinstone simply wishes to libel Mr Thunders' name by making such statements. It is a known fact that Johnney Thunderst has yet to make any preludes regarding a. his membership in "Billville" or b. his campaign for "mayor". Therefore, these allegations are erroneous and must serve some hidden goal. Res Ipsa Loquitor, Mr Weinstone must be running for "mayor" of "Billville" and wishes to thrust himself into the public conciousness using these nefarious means. My office will continue to serve as advocate to the little guys who drive the fast blue cars.

Thank you.

OldStormcrow
09-26-2007, 14:13
I usually just nap when I am walking....kinda like a camel or a horse.

Tin Man
09-26-2007, 21:15
I nap after we setup camp and my brother collects wood for the evening fire. :)

Socrates
09-27-2007, 14:24
Granted, I was only out there for 3 weeks this year... But I never had the notion to take a nap... I'm not a napper anyway so maybe that explains it... If I took a nap, I'd be up half the night, bored while everyone else is sleeping, and then I'd want to sleep the next day... A snowball effect... So yeah, I don't nap... Loved the lazy zeros though! HAHA

LIhikers
09-27-2007, 15:09
The top of Bear Mountain, NY has some rocks that are good for napping. I fell asleep there during a day hike a couple of summers ago.

superman
09-27-2007, 16:38
Naps are good. Some folks stop hiking during the day to do something else....like chase a cheeseburger. Some folks take a nap to refresh themselves. You can take a break from hiking during the day and still get your miles in. Other people just do a certain number of miles and stop for the night. That gives them time to play cards or talk or what ever. It's not the Bataan Death March. It's ok to relax, enjoy yourself and just ease on up the trail. If you're doing too many miles, too fast etc the hike will beat you up.

SteveJ
09-30-2007, 15:32
my preferred method of napping on the AT......of course, as I think about it, it's not a bad way to take a nap anywhere! Upon further reflection - is any nap a bad thing??

mweinstone
09-30-2007, 19:20
and so it grows...

linda ellerby on the nap thread........

Johnny Thunder
10-01-2007, 09:29
This weekend I took a nap in Slaughter Beach with a girl named 'T'. Passed out on the sand and woke tanned on one side of my face. A horseshoe crab walked by. The Midas Touch.

Are there places like this near the trail where I might nap?

naturejunkie
10-01-2007, 09:54
This weekend I took a nap in Slaughter Beach with a girl named 'T'. Passed out on the sand and woke tanned on one side of my face. A horseshoe crab walked by. The Midas Touch.

Central Park, New York City.:eek:

Johnny Thunder
10-01-2007, 10:06
Central Park, New York City.:eek:

Napped there once. Saw the Fisher King.

Johnny Thunder
10-08-2007, 14:28
This weekend I taunted the crap out of some ghosts at our campsite and was still able to nap. King Kong 'aint got nothin' on me.

the goat
10-08-2007, 14:33

tons of sand beaches in the 100 mile wilderness.

no horseshoe crabs or girls named 'T', though.

neo
10-08-2007, 14:36

Johnny

carry a hammock excellent for mid day naps :cool: neo

Kirby
10-08-2007, 15:28
Let's see... Summit of Katahdin is a mighty fine spot for a nap on a nice day if you get there early enough. I took a nap on the summit of White Cap in the 100 Mile "Wilderness", and was quite pleased, I took it where you could see Katahdin perfectly.

Kirby

Uncle Silly
10-10-2007, 13:48
there are a number of "small" "ponds" in Maine that have nice beaches where one might comfortably nap. note that Maine has funny definitions for words that describe bodies of water... "small ponds" are neither small nor ponds; they're more like large lakes... "large lakes" are more like "friggin' huge inland seas"... and "streams" and "brooks" tend to be called "rivers" in other parts of the country.

mudhead
10-10-2007, 13:57
Large lake = "big lakes upcountry" in oldspeak.

Wouldn't I love to have the brook down back, smack dab in the middle of Eastern Colorado. (With the water rights...)

dessertrat
10-10-2007, 16:10
If you nap on the trail, always place a trekking pole or some other good pointer device so that it points in the direction you need to proceed in when you wake up. On a cloudy day, this can be very important. A compass doesn't always tell you either (the trail can twist and wind).