PDA

View Full Version : Potential Hiking Equipment

musicwoman
09-25-2007, 13:04
Hi Everyone!!

So many of you have been so helpful in getting me on the right track. I am going to do a small section of the AT next year in early summer with my 18 yr old son (Harriman/Bear Mountain) to get acclimated to it all. Thanks to all the info I have gleaned on this site, here's what I have as a potential gear set up:

Leatherman Micra (already got it, what a great little tool, its on my keychain)

LED headlamp x2

Hennessy Hammock UL x2 w/flies and ropes, etc...was thinking perhaps 1 large tarp instead of 2 flies?? Any suggestions??

Rocket Pocket stove w/ 2- 1 liter aluminum pots

Assorted Mountain House/Lipton etc. freeze dried entrees, instant oatmeal, coffee.

Still working on packs and sleeping bags. You all have helped so much already. Feel free to critique my choices.....

SGT Rock
09-25-2007, 13:06
Looks like you will do fine. Everything is subjective - it depends on what works for you. Just don't try and kill yourself with miles or weight and you will do fine.

Midway Sam
09-25-2007, 13:17
LED headlamp x2

Take a look at the Petzl e-Lite.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=607

Yes it uses "wierd" batteries, but it will run A LONG TIME on the batteries and they are light.

musicwoman
09-25-2007, 13:21
This is going to sound stupid, but I cannot find anything on toilet paper....we are going to be using a trowel......any suggestions? Is there any type specifically made for backcountry as far as biodegradability, etc?

SGT Rock
09-25-2007, 13:23
Regular paper is made to break down already or it would clog septic tanks.

1. Dig a cat hole. Dig it so that it is big enough for the job, and goes about 6" into the dirt (not duff).

2. Wipe using the minumal needed. I use leaves for the main clean up and finsish with paper to conserve on paper use. All that goes into the hole.

3. Bury with dirt then replace the duff. Whenever possible add a rock or small log to the top to keep it from easy disturbance.

4. Wash your hands.

*****Edit*****
I forgot to answer the trowel issue. I don't use them since I already have hiking poles and there are sticks everywhere. I had a trowel once and broke it on a dig. Figured why carry a shovel when I didn't need one.

Midway Sam
09-25-2007, 13:26
To Rock's post I would add that you can purchase single-ply TP in the camping departments (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, whatever) that does not have the cardboard tube and is therefore smaller to pack. Likewise, you can "de-roll" some from home and carry it in a Ziploc.

SGT Rock
09-25-2007, 13:29
To Rock's post I would add that you can purchase single-ply TP in the camping departments (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, whatever) that does not have the cardboard tube and is therefore smaller to pack. Likewise, you can "de-roll" some from home and carry it in a Ziploc.
The second way is my preferd method. If you take the tubel from the center of a new TP roll and put it in a zip lock, it will feed from the center like rolled baby wipes - so you can just pull out what you need from the bag center out. This eliminates annoying problems with taking the roll out of the zip-lock in wet conditions and ruining your trail money.

Appalachian Tater
09-25-2007, 13:30
Mountain House still has the Marine Cuisine at 25% off:
http://www.mtnhse.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MC
It's exactly the same thing as their regular meals but with different writing on the package for a different market.

There are some good gear lists and gear list discussions here on WhiteBlaze and elsewhere on the internet. Why don't you research them start planning everything you're going to take in detail, then post it here. So far, you're off to a good start.

I am not a hammocker but you probably want two separate flies because you may not always find trees accomodating to setting up two hammocks and a large tarp, unless you go vertical.

Appalachian Tater
09-25-2007, 13:31
The second way is my preferd method. If you take the tubel from the center of a new TP roll and put it in a zip lock, it will feed from the center like rolled baby wipes - so you can just pull out what you need from the bag center out. This eliminates annoying problems with taking the roll out of the zip-lock in wet conditions and ruining your trail money.

That is the best way. You also get to use your regular brand, and it's a lot cheaper than those little rolls.

The Old Fhart
09-25-2007, 13:39
SGT Rock, you mean you don't use this t.p. (http://www.productdose.com/article.php?article_id=6567)??I suppose if you don't give a .......... :D

SGT Rock
09-25-2007, 13:43
never tried it.

Ender
09-25-2007, 14:00
Hennessy Hammock UL x2 w/flies and ropes, etc...was thinking perhaps 1 large tarp instead of 2 flies?? Any suggestions??

Use two seperate tarps/flies... you can never be sure if you'll be able to set up right next to each other... in fact, the chances of that being a possibility are pretty slim, so give yourself the flexability of two tarps.

Creek Dancer
09-25-2007, 14:10
I really think everyone should practice "Leave No Trace" and pack out whatever you pack in. That includes used toilet paper, yes - even the messy ones. Animals may dig up whatever you bury and you don't want used tp spread around the woods. Some people choose to burn the used tp.

Have a great hike! I have hiked often with my son and have wonderful memories of our time in the woods.

musicwoman
09-26-2007, 10:29
On the subject of headlamps.....I saw some Energizers that look fine for the job and the price is right. Also, it has the "redlight" option. I know it preserves night vision, does it also keep away the bugs?

whitefoot_hp
09-26-2007, 10:38
On the subject of headlamps.....I saw some Energizers that look fine for the job and the price is right. Also, it has the "redlight" option. I know it preserves night vision, does it also keep away the bugs?
it keeps the bugs away better than the brite white light.

Manach
09-26-2007, 11:10
On the subject of headlamps.....I saw some Energizers that look fine for the job and the price is right.

I've used one, and I don't think it's worth the price. Though I'm trying to stick to a budget I got myself a Petzl Tikka. You can spend more money once and get a piece of gear that lasts, or you can replace cheaper gear more often.

I'll never forget camping one night when I was awakened by my dog barking like mad. I was in an area so thick with vegetation that no moonlight reached me. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face, and the stupid switch on my light was stuck. Luckily the intruder turned out to be just a racoon (I heard him chitter as he strolled past the tent and saw his paw prints the next morning).

shelterbuilder
09-26-2007, 17:41
I really think everyone should practice "Leave No Trace" and pack out whatever you pack in. That includes used toilet paper, yes - even the messy ones. Animals may dig up whatever you bury and you don't want used tp spread around the woods. Some people choose to burn the used tp....

I wouldn't worry about the TP that's left in the hole. If the hole was PROPERLY dug, the bacteria in the soil break down the waste within about a week, and the TP disintegrates within about two weeks.:D In an effort to leave no trace, many backpackers expose themselves to the hazards of fecal contamination.:( Yes, you can wash your hands, but do you also wash all of the surfaces of the used TP bag?

musicwoman
09-26-2007, 20:40
so, 6 inches deep, about 6 inches around as well, I would think....
Thanks guys, you're the best

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 20:44
Tell that to my wife. She thinks I am a slacker who wastes all my time hiking or talking about hiking ;)

rafe
09-26-2007, 20:53
[my wife] thinks I am a slacker who wastes all my time hiking or talking about hiking ;)

Welcome to the club. :D :D :D

Frosty
09-26-2007, 21:09
Welcome to the club. :D :D :DWhat he said!

Marta
09-26-2007, 21:10
This is going to sound stupid, but I cannot find anything on toilet paper....we are going to be using a trowel......any suggestions? Is there any type specifically made for backcountry as far as biodegradability, etc?

Most of the AT has privies near the shelters. You may not have to deal with catholes at all!

I'll chime in with the "pack it out" posse. An opaque zip-lock pouch, such as one left from a Mountain House meal, makes an excellent container for used t.p. Once you have been in an area strewn with half-buried t.p., you will become a believer in packing it out, too.

Since I pack it out, I don't worry about using rapidly breaking down, feeble t.p., but use travel packets of Kleenex. 1/2 to 1/3 packet per day works for me. It's much easier to ration and to keep track of where you are in your supply than with a roll.

River Runner
09-26-2007, 23:20
Pack out T.P. or bury it, whichever you feel comfortable with. I used to always pack out, but some very wise hikers convinced me the T.P. probably disintegrates before the waste. If you bury it, just push it way down in the hole with a stick, mix it in with the waste, and mix in some soil (just what Sgt. Rock said). Whatever you do, DO NOT try to burn it. If you try burning at the cathole, it is possible to ignite organic material in the soil (tiny bits of broken leaves) & start a forest fire. Especially important as dry as it is right now in most areas. If you burn it in a campfire later at night, you are handling it (and the bag it was in) again, and you will still have a contaminated plastic bag to deal with.