PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Help! Please!

Fenrir
09-25-2007, 22:10
Here is my dilema, I live in Las Vegas and I want to thru the AT in 08. When I heard about the gathering I really wanted to go, but of course I lost track of time and here I am still not having transportation purchased. I don't have much time before work starts, I don't know what day, I'm waiting for some paperwork to clear. So I was going to fly, but then I can't take fuel and sharp stuff right? I don't have the extra 4 days it takes to bus there and back so thats out. Then I noticed the ALDHA west has their own gathering, but I've heard so little about it I'm thinking that East is better. So it all comes down to the question which is better East or West? Gettysburg or Twin Bridges?:confused:

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 22:25
you are a stupid stupid stupid man or woman. west indeed. no fuel indeed. sharp things oooh. now you listen to me you . your comming to the gathering and your comming with me. you will do exactly as i say. you will imediatly purchase a 380 dollar round trip air fare to philadelphia ariving next wed or thurs and leaving the next monday or tuesday. you are a perfect stranger and for all i know a tripple murderer /double axe murderer. still,...and for my own reasons,(none) , you may use my place as a free hostle. next, you will leave your fuel at home we have all types in abundance at gatherings. next, you will check your pack hours before flytime and in its own suitcase. next, you will go into a closet in your dwelling or simple abode and you will screem and squeel with wriggeling joy at your smart chooices. now sit back and let the hands of the clock do the rest of the work. and when your smiling at jesters costume and being handed my knob creek to the soft lullings of cammo and wolf killing folks with jokes in the backround,......think and remember your foolishness of this night. go now!

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 22:30
you can be the cat that mat dragged in.

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 22:33
sorry, perrigrin already has that position. thats rick mckinney to the rest of you. author of 9 books? including DEAD MEN HIKE NO TRAILS . hes sending 50 copys to my house and johnny thunders delivering them to the feilds of battle and ricks gonna sign em! so fork it up for this soldier of our trail and support the arts.

Fenrir
09-25-2007, 22:50
OK, so does anyone have an actual opinion on which gathering is better? :confused:

Skidsteer
09-25-2007, 22:53
OK, so does anyone have an actual opinion on which gathering is better? :confused:

What? You don't trust Matty?

Nest
09-25-2007, 23:12
If it's a real offer take him up on it. I would. It is guaranteed to be the most entertaining time of the whole trip.

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 23:20
the west is better. go. you may come to us if you ever need help.(like in the movie soldier) our sociaty isnt set up to give you the things you need. your trainning has made you a risk. stay close to the wire. goodby,...cobb.....

yes its a real offer.im the guy whos mailing rick out from san fran aint i? well then. thats right.....appology taken under concideration and accepted.

nonspellers are people too ya know!

mweinstone
09-25-2007, 23:34
NONSPELLERS is a trademark of newwordleauge.com and may not be misspelled without written permission.

*2 out of 10 bad spellers are actually missdiagnosed nonspellers. if you think you have a problem and and you are allergic to spellcheck, consult your doctor. some nonspelling can be corrected with a simple medication . more seriouse nonspellers may require long term in house treatment. side effects may include wild stareing eyes and throbbing neck veins. some patients may exsperience spontaineous out of body remote veiwing.ask your doctor whitch option is best for you.

Sly
09-25-2007, 23:51

Yes, I do. Although The west Gathering has some fine folks and a few good presentations it's a lame as can be. Draw your own conclusions but just remember you've been forwarned.

Fenrir
09-25-2007, 23:52
Its not a matter of mistrust as much as a matter of deciphering :-?. I've managed to find a roundtrip flight to Gettysburg for about $260, and if the east is good then I'll grab the flight and go there. Also I notice that the west seems to charge additional fees for lodging while the east doesn't mention this. Any more advice?

Thanks

Sly
09-26-2007, 00:07
Also I notice that the west seems to charge additional fees for lodging while the east doesn't mention this. Any more advice?

Unfortunately the way they do it, half your airfare will be taken by west fees for food and lodging. Just come east, it will be well worth it. There's much more going on and people tend to be more socialible

Sly
09-26-2007, 00:10
Oh yeah, the east Gathering is not as good, it's 10 times better. It's only fault there's too much going on so you have to pick and choose/

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 00:50
Its not a matter of mistrust as much as a matter of deciphering :-?.

It's not so much a matter of deciphering as learning another language. It takes reading about fifty of his posts and then it's not so much a problem. One day you'll read one with no problem. Just telling you so you don't panic like I did when it happened to me.

Fenrir
09-26-2007, 00:51
Sly, American Tater, thanks for the input, it looks like I'm headed east! Time to read up on some TSA rules :eek:

Sly
09-26-2007, 00:56
Sly, American Tater, thanks for the input, it looks like I'm headed east! Time to read up on some TSA rules :eek:

Great. I don't mean t dis the west, but I've been to both and the east is so much better. You won't regret it.

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 01:23

There are threads about that. Basically, check your pack, and don't carry fuel.

Spirit Walker
09-26-2007, 01:26
The western Gathering is smaller (about 100 people vs. 500) and more intimate. For $88 you get lodging and group meals. There are fewer presentations and the presentations have a more western focus. Most of the attendees will have hiked or intend to hike the PCT.

The eastern Gathering is better if you intend to hike the AT because there are many workshops that are solely focused on the AT. There are also a lot of presentations on many other long distance trails and other aspects of hiking. You will meet a lot of AT thruhikers. Almost everyone there has either hiked the AT or intends to. The $10 Gathering fee includes camping at the group site and presentations, but doesn't include meals.

Fenrir
09-26-2007, 04:13
Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I'm AT bound so east it is. As far as not carrying fuel, does that include in checked luggage? I figure I'll have to shove the pack in a duffel and just check it all.

Thanks

mweinstone
09-26-2007, 07:35
we got yer fuel right here. just git yonder youngin. we got some greetin ta do. sly knows. remember, when you look up at the night sky,...sly knows

Newb
09-26-2007, 07:56
Fuel? I'm bringing MREs. No fuel needed. Oh, and burgers. and grill. ..and beer....and um...um...a bunch of other stuff.

Spirit Walker
09-26-2007, 11:06
Definitely no fuel in your luggage. the idea is to not blow up the plane. They don't even allow stoves, unless they are brand new, never been used and in the box. That's why we switched to alcohol. It's easy to find fuel on the way to the trail and the stove isn't a normal stove so doesn't cause problems at check in. At least, so far there have been no problems.

Bring an empty tuna can if you don't already have an alcohol stove - you can always borrow fuel from a neighbor at the campground. Do you plan to go backpacking after the Gathering? If not, you may not need a stove. Most folks eat out during the Gathering. There's not much available on campus since the students will be gone this weekend, but town is only a couple of miles away from the campground. We'll bring cold food for breakfast and lunch and eat dinner out, so won't need a stove.

Marta
09-26-2007, 11:17
No fuel in checked luggage either. Don't even bring a stove that smells like fuel, or a fume-filled bottle.

But I'm confused. Why would you need fuel at The Gathering?

rafe
09-26-2007, 13:59
Definitely no fuel in your luggage. the idea is to not blow up the plane. They don't even allow stoves, unless they are brand new, never been used and in the box.

My Pocket Rocket was in my pack as checked-in luggage last week. I was there when the TSA guy inspected the pack. No problems. (I gave away the fuel canister after cooking my last trail meal, at Sarver Hollow shelter.)

Marta
09-26-2007, 14:02
A Pocket Rocket doesn't retain fuel or fumes in it. (At least I can't smell it on mine.) I think the various white gas stoves are a problem, though.

rafe
09-26-2007, 14:09
A Pocket Rocket doesn't retain fuel or fumes in it. (At least I can't smell it on mine.) I think the various white gas stoves are a problem, though.

The same is true for the burner unit on a Whisperlite, then. Of course you'd want to empty the fuel container and clear the pump of any residual fuel.

Ironically, the one item in my pack that forced me to check it in (rather than carry it on) was... my pocket knife. Ironic 'cause the blade is about 2" long and at this point can barely slice through a hunk of pepper jack.

Marta
09-26-2007, 14:30
I think the problem with the white-gas-burning stoves is that white gas leaves an oily residue, which smells. I think it would be hard to clean one well enough to get it on a plane. I suspect its appearance would also get more attention from the inspectors than an alcohol stove or a Pocket Rocket.

I'd have to ask myself how much trouble I wanted to go to to convince the inspector that this device was harmless...and that maybe I'd be able to get it on and maybe I'd end up having to leave my (expensive) stove behind either before or after the hike.

Fenrir
09-26-2007, 16:32
Thanks again for the input guys. I ask about the stove becuase I'd planned on bringing my own food, being vegan and never having been to gettysburg kind of limits my eating out options. Alcohol stove here I come?

Thanks

Nest
09-26-2007, 21:51
I'm on a real tight budget, so I plan on cooking my meals too. So if you need some fuel, just wait until everyone goes to eat. Then the few people still in the campsites are the ones with stoves cooking.

Newb
09-27-2007, 07:40
I plan to forage for wild greens and rodents in the camp site.

Fenrir
09-27-2007, 19:52
I don't suppose anyone is going from/through/by Baltimore that could give me a ride from the airport? I'd be willing to pay costs, I just need to get there. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated