PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions on the Long Trail

genetic claybuilding
09-25-2007, 23:06
With the water conditions so bad on the southern AT, I'm thinking of doing part of the Long Trail instead. Probably late October, when I have an opportunity to be in VT. How are the water sources on the southern portion of the Long Trail?

JoeHiker
09-26-2007, 14:37
Be interested in this info as well. I'll probably be doing a bit of the Southern LT myself around then, north to south, so I might bump into you.

superman
09-26-2007, 17:46
We just got back yesterday from hiking the Mt Mansfield section. Water was not a problem. The last time I had a problem with water on the southern part of the Long Trail was "99." In my humble opinion I doubt that you will have a water problem in October.

Tin Man
09-26-2007, 21:19
When we sectioned the AT/southern LT a couple of years ago in the fall, there was plenty of running water. In fact, VT is sort of very wet and muddy in spots. Some shelters actually have springs! If that is not enough, there are plenty of ponds along the way if you carry a filter.

peakbagger
09-26-2007, 21:31
There are usually some fall rains that move in in late September to replenish things a bit. Once the leaves have dropped, the plants stop drawing as much water from the ground so the springs tend to recover a bit.

Popeye
09-26-2007, 21:37
I just returned from a trip from Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap. It's a long stretch between reliable water sources. Most of those in the hiking guides are dry. There were a few trickles and seeps in places that took a while to fill a bottle, but they won't last much longer. If I were going to make the same trip tomorrow, I would stash water at all the road crossings before hitting the trail.

JoeHiker
09-27-2007, 12:06
It's good of you to post a response, popeye and it is appreciated but they are talking about the Long Trail in Vermont, not Georgia.

hammock engineer
09-27-2007, 21:54
When I going south through there a couple weeks ago I had 4+ days of prolonged rain in southern VT. All sources I saw up there were flowing then. Looked good without the rain. Spruce Peak, I think shelter just south of Mancester Center, was really low. It wasn't flowing, but seeping enough to give you a couple inches. The only ones I remember being dry were both springs on Straton Mountain. The caretaker at the firetower said that was the first the old fire warden Spring was dry in a long time.

Everything else seemed fine.

Just stopping into check about PA as I will be there soon. Now lets hope for rain there.

genetic claybuilding
09-28-2007, 17:50
Since it looks like the water will be OK, I'm thinking about timing. I could go either Oct 17-28 or Oct 28-Nov 9. Either way, I assume the leaves will be down, correct?

Tin Man
09-28-2007, 18:05
Since it looks like the water will be OK, I'm thinking about timing. I could go either Oct 17-28 or Oct 28-Nov 9. Either way, I assume the leaves will be down, correct?

Yes, most if not all of the leaves will be down in the higher elevations for your first date selection and you will not have to look up at all to see leaves for your second set of dates. ;)

LIhikers
09-28-2007, 18:57
Spruce Peak, I think shelter just south of Mancester Center, was really low. It wasn't flowing, but seeping enough to give you a couple inches.

My wife and I were at Spruce Peak in the middle of August this year and that spring was the same then even though it had rained the night before. Maybe it's just how that spring is.

genetic claybuilding
10-07-2007, 13:42
I've made plans to go from Oct. 27 - November 4, from Hwy 9 (near Bennington) to Hwy 4 (near Rutland). How will trail conditions likely be that time of year?

Also I plan to bring a 20 degree bag; will temps possibly get below that?

Any must-see blue blaze hikes?

oruoja
10-08-2007, 10:01
I've made plans to go from Oct. 27 - November 4, from Hwy 9 (near Bennington) to Hwy 4 (near Rutland). How will trail conditions likely be that time of year?

Also I plan to bring a 20 degree bag; will temps possibly get below that?

Any must-see blue blaze hikes?

Temperatures will get down into the twenties at night, possibly even teens. Be prepared for rain and high temps in the 40s range. Of course all the leaves will be gone so you have more views. There are really no exceptional blue blaze sections, most of the best features are right on the trail itself. Water should not be a problem. I was out in the Baker Peak/Griffith Lake section a few days ago and there was water available. We are into a rainy spell at the moment. Just be prepared for wet leaves covering up slippery rocks. If weather should turn bad there are numerous shelters along the way.