PDA

View Full Version : The Molle Pack System

hacksaw
09-26-2007, 17:48
After several decades I'm retiring my old Jansport D-4 and lookinng toward the Molle.
I have a friend who deals surplus military goods and he has literally hundreds of complete Molles that he sells on ebay for a fraction of their cost to the Government.

Has anyone (military or otherwise) got experience with this system that would support or discredit the servicability or suitability of the Molle System for long distance backpacking.

I know it ain't ultralite or cutting edge but then, neither am I, so please hold that in mind.
I'm not looking for a critique of Molle vs the latest whiz bang ultralite handbag, just some info from actual Molle users.

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 18:01
Forget it Hack Saw. I am afraid you would be disapointed in the thing once you use it. An old ALICE would probably do you better.

johnny quest
09-26-2007, 18:11
all u.s. military gear is built to be abused and used, issued and reissued. in my opinon it is overbuilt for regular backpacking use. its been hard but ive slowly weaned myself away from military gear...it just doesnt make sense for backpacking.

tritonl
09-26-2007, 19:02
Dont even think about it, used it for a couple of years and when I could I took my own pack as well or tired to stuff everything in an alice pack. THe molle is as useless as it comes, I dont know who approved it but our unit hated it from the start. Lets just say it came with a instructional video.

hacksaw
09-26-2007, 19:19
That solves that. Thanks you guys.

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 19:23
I've got a tweeked out alice I use for trail maintenance I can loan you for next year - I'll be hiking instead of maintaining for the first 6 months of the year.

hacksaw
09-26-2007, 19:33
Thanks Rock, I'll be in touch if I go that route.

SGT Rock
09-26-2007, 19:39
Sure.

By tricked out it has an extra large kidney pad and more padded than normal shoulder pads. I remember you being taller than me so the old problem of short frame on the ALICE is not solved. If you decided you wanted to borrow it, I could get it to you around December - by then I should be done with trail maintenance that would require it and be too close to my start date for starting any more like that before I go.

SGT Rock
09-27-2007, 09:36
Hey hacksaw. Listen up buddy...

I was thinking about his after Newb posted his question about bugout bags. When I was over there this time I was issues a riflema's Molle set which included a new waist pack and 3 day assault pack. After using them for a while I realized the assualt pack (maybe with a little modifications and possible add on pockets depending on gear) would make a great little pack for someone thru-hiking who could keep their load small and down to 35 pounds or less. If you think you can do that I would reccomend trying one of these on.

johnny quest
09-27-2007, 09:47
hey rock, we used to wear our deuce, or as you might have called it, 782 gear (h yoke and warbelt) with two asspacks, one on top of the other, 4 canteens (2 on bottom asspack) m2 16 ammo pouches and 2 saw pouches for long range patrols in the p.i. with a poncho/poncho liner with a jungle hammock we could go 5 days easy. of course we never weighed anything......

SGT Rock
09-27-2007, 11:06
Yes, way back in the day (pre Army) I did camping with an LBE comprised of a compass pouch, ammo pouch that contained a my first aid, fire starter, fishing gear, etc. On the back was a poncho wrapped around my old down bag and hammock (old net style) strapped onto the butt pack, a butt pack with food in it, and a couple of canteens with a canteen cup & cup stove. It can be done.

But I really liked my assault pack - after looking on e-bay they are going for more than an entire MOLLE system - that says something to me.

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 00:05
Hey hacksaw. Listen up buddy...

I was thinking about his after Newb posted his question about bugout bags. When I was over there this time I was issues a riflema's Molle set which included a new waist pack and 3 day assault pack. After using them for a while I realized the assualt pack (maybe with a little modifications and possible add on pockets depending on gear) would make a great little pack for someone thru-hiking who could keep their load small and down to 35 pounds or less. If you think you can do that I would reccomend trying one of these on.
Rock,
Does the assault pack have the carbon fibre backboard as does the Molle? Is it a variation of the Molle system or a whole different animal? (the assault 3 day pack itself) I tried on the Molle with the backboard and after sorting through my friend's stock of pack components I found one that fit me pretty good. He buys this stuff by the truckload (I've even hauled a couple of loads for him) from Marine Corps DRMO outlets.

I've been out so long the only things I know anything about were made of canvas and were used in WWII and Korea and weighed a ton.

35 pounds or less is my goal.

SGT Rock
10-01-2007, 07:58
No, it has a plastic sheet with a foam back - think like a gram weenie's pack when you think the assault pack. If your friend has Molle packs it seems like he would have an assault pack.

As to the Mollee, borrow one and do a shake down with it if he will let you. I imagine with a razor and a sewing needle you could end up doing like Earl did with his Army pack and make it work the way you want it.

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 13:00
Sounds like a plan, Rock. I think I can get one to try out. Thanks for the info.