PDA

View Full Version : Burning questions

rafe
09-27-2007, 00:14
1. Why can't they put trail towns at the tops of the mountains instead of the bottom? I mean, why do we always have to walk uphill with a full pack? It doesn't seem fair.

2. Why are they called PUDs? I think they should be called PDUs. I mean, I don't mind walking to the "height of land," but it would be nice to stay there for a while.

3. What's the record for the slowest thru-hike? OK, scratch that. What's the record for the slowest section hike? (did I win? didn't think so...)

4. Why is there no water in Sweetwater Gap?

5. Who's the clown that drew the profile map for the stretch around McAfee Knob and Dragon's Tooth? Better yet, who's the clown that routed the trail over Dragon's Tooth?

6. What kind of person would spend his weekends and/or vacations breaking their backs doing trail maintenance? I don't know, but in any case, I'm eternally grateful for what you do.

7. Why is Dick's Dome shelter still standing? Ughh...

8. How long is the trail, really? I mean, they measure it with a wheel... Who took that wheel up all those rockpiles and through Mahoosuc Notch? Who wheeled it across the Kennebec? What if some clown lets some air out of the tire one day, or over-inflates it?

9. What's the northernmost point at which a NOBO through-hike has been aborted? (I mean, by choice, for reasons other than emergency, injury, etc.) Does LW win that prize?

10. Would it really impact the "wilderness" terribly to put some kind of park bench on the trail every mile or two? Or maybe just a flat, leveled rock, wide enough for my butt? I'd like that very much. Thank you.

I don't necessarily need answers, by the way. More interested in more questions. :D

Appalachian Tater
09-27-2007, 00:20
9. Powerstroke fell and broke his arm at the end of August last year half-way up Katahdin, at the iron rungs. He started in Key West, too. That probably comes close to being the northernmost.

rafe
09-27-2007, 00:26
9. Powerstroke fell and broke his arm at the end of August last year half-way up Katahdin, at the iron rungs. He started in Key West, too. That probably comes close to being the northernmost.

Oooh, that's gotta hurt.. but I was interested in "elective" endings, specifically not injuries or emergencies.

Dirtygaiters
09-27-2007, 01:26
8. They use GPS

Blue Jay
09-27-2007, 01:26
#2 - The entire trail is a PUD (see question #1)
#5 - Dragon's Tooth is one of the best and most interesting places on the trail.
#8 - The trail is endless, just because you get to one end, does not mean you have to stop.

SGT Rock
09-27-2007, 08:50
1. Why can't they put trail towns at the tops of the mountains instead of the bottom? I mean, why do we always have to walk uphill with a full pack? It doesn't seem fair.
It is God's way of messing with your head.

4. Why is there no water in Sweetwater Gap?
Someone drank it all before you got there.

6. What kind of person would spend his weekends and/or vacations breaking their backs doing trail maintenance? I don't know, but in any case, I'm eternally grateful for what you do.
This kind of idiot.

7. Why is Dick's Dome shelter still standing? Ughh...
Lone Wolf hasn't burnt it yet.

10. Would it really impact the "wilderness" terribly to put some kind of park bench on the trail every mile or two? Or maybe just a flat, leveled rock, wide enough for my butt? I'd like that very much. Thank you.

I imagine it would - and chair blazing would annoy the purists.

fehchet
09-27-2007, 09:31
I'll meet you at the third bench after the burning dome.

Actually folks will start sleeping on them and seating will be limited.

"Sir, did you use shelters when you hiked?"
"No, I benched it all the way with my 3oz sil-nylon bench hood."

jesse
09-27-2007, 09:40
what is a PUD?

camojack
09-27-2007, 09:50
what is a PUD?
In this context, a "Pointless Up & Down".
(As opposed to short for pudendum...) :D

Sly
09-27-2007, 10:04
Burning questions=pointless questions. The trail is what it is.

Johnny Thunder
09-27-2007, 10:30
How is it that I always get spider webs in my face when I'm walking last in line on a sunny afternoon down a well-used trail?

jesse
09-27-2007, 10:33
gee, I thought up and down was the point

Sly
09-27-2007, 10:37
gee, I thought up and down was the point

It is, but some want a view on top of every mountain. They need to go west for that.

Walessp
09-27-2007, 11:33
10. Well there's a park bench near the Audie Murphy crash site/memorial in VA (or was a few years back (anyway). I guess that's a start!

rafe
09-27-2007, 12:00
10. Well there's a park bench near the Audie Murphy crash site/memorial in VA (or was a few years back (anyway). I guess that's a start!

Yes!!! I sat on that bench for a long while and got a photo of it. It was wonderful. There's another one in northern VA, a bit north of Front Royal, where the AT goes through some state park. But those are the only two I can recall.

SGT Rock
09-27-2007, 12:06
You can chair blaze up the Clingman's Dome trail from the parking lot.

dixicritter
09-27-2007, 12:08
You can chair blaze up the Clingman's Dome trail from the parking lot.

Chair blazin... Yeah! :D

Alligator
09-27-2007, 12:38
There's a few benches through the Walkill Wildlife Refuge in Jersey, plus benches in the parks that the trail goes through.

saimyoji
09-27-2007, 12:41
The trail is what it is.

No, its not.

Blissful
09-27-2007, 12:44
Yes!!! I sat on that bench for a long while and got a photo of it. It was wonderful. There's another one in northern VA, a bit north of Front Royal, where the AT goes through some state park. But those are the only two I can recall.

There's also a nice bench in a farmer's field overlooking Shady Valley, I believe. Before you get to Damascus. I have a pic of it and there's still a little snow around.

There's one too in Maine, but I can't recall where it was.

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2007, 12:55
Does any one know the difference between a MUD (Mindless-Up & Down)and a PUD. I came up with my own definition during my 06 thru, but have since forgotten it.

Tractor
09-27-2007, 12:55
do tractor seats count? there's still a few left......

fehchet
09-27-2007, 13:11
They are all FUD's.

jlb2012
09-27-2007, 13:35
I think there is still a bench just north of the Pocosin Fire Rd. in Shen. - some trail maintainer chainsawed a log into a two seater.

rafe
09-27-2007, 13:37
do tractor seats count? there's still a few left......

I remember a few of those... at the summit of Old Orchard Mtn., IIRC. Not sure if those count or not.

rafe
09-27-2007, 13:38
Oops, that was Apple Orchard Mtn., I think.

grizzlyadam
09-27-2007, 13:39
i think my favorite bench is where the AT and creeper trail coincide, just before you cross the long bridge at creek junction....

Lone Wolf
09-27-2007, 13:40
I remember a few of those... at the summit of Old Orchard Mtn., IIRC. Not sure if those count or not.

wher's that? there's some on Bear Den mtn. in SNP

rafe
09-27-2007, 13:46
wher's that? there's some on Bear Den mtn. in SNP

Correction in post #26. I think I meant Apple Orchard Mtn.

hiker5
09-27-2007, 14:13
They are all FUD's.

Fruitless Ups and Downs, no doubt.

Marta
09-27-2007, 14:18
Even more civilized than a bench:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=185084

Kirby
09-27-2007, 14:46
There are plenty of nice rocks going up Katahdin that you could sit on, and a lot of them are relatively flat. I have heard some thru hikers call it quits at Katahdin Stream Campground because they wamnt to prove they were in it for the experience and not to complete the whole trail.

Kirby

jrwiesz
09-27-2007, 14:50
How is it that I always get spider webs in my face when I'm walking last in line on a sunny afternoon down a well-used trail?

Speedy spiders spin speed silk.:D

Blissful
09-27-2007, 14:58
Speedy spiders spin speed silk.:D

Yeah it took me a while to figure out why Paul Bunyan waited for me to go first down a trail. So I would get nailed by them sticky, stupid spider swebs. What a pain.

Monkeyboy
09-27-2007, 15:05
I never understood why from Bly Gap you had to hike uphill all day to get to Deep Gap......

....it aint so deep if you gotta hike uphill to get to it.

Tin Man
09-27-2007, 16:06

This is riddle, right? Because you are tall! Did I get it right? :D