PDA

View Full Version : AT /American History

Gray Blazer
09-27-2007, 07:58
227 years ago today, the Overmountain men from NC, VA, and what is today TN, rode through Yellow Mountain Pass (on today's modern AT) in a snowstorm and went on to defeat the British in the battle of Kings Mountain in SC. I salute those men and their ancestors who fought for and still defend our American way of life (liberals and conservatives).

woodsy
09-27-2007, 09:19
In Sheffield, Mass., 220 years ago, another rebellion peaked, this time against high taxes.
The legendary Daniel Shays(honored Revolutinary War Veteran), western Mass farmers and militia revolted against the Massachusetts government.
A battle was fought in Sheffield and a monument stands beside the AT where this battle was fought.
Much good came from this rebellion. For one,the government realized it could not strong-arm good countryfolk into bowing to their greedy ways!

Wonder
09-27-2007, 09:32
I've recently read about the Overmountain men. I'm really impressed with what they gave to the Revolution. I was really only familiar with the history from home(Valley Forge) before, but now, I'm enjoying learning about how the R.W. affected the southern states.