PDA

View Full Version : The Long Trail

RagingHampster
11-11-2003, 15:41
I figured someone would post this one before me. For those who don't know it, it's the oldest established long-distance hiking trail in the US. It extends from Massachusetts to Canada along the spine of the Green Mountains in Vermont. Roughly the southern half shares the same path with the AT until the AT splits off to head east into the Whites. There are three natural above tree-line summits with all the dwarf trees and alpine vegetation to go with it.

1. What do people like about it?
2. What do people hate about it?
3. What's your favorite shelter?
4. What's wour favorite town?
5. What's your favorite summit?
6. Who has thru-hiked it?

My answers in order...

1. The southern terminus is under an hour from my home, and it offers a little of everything.
2. Horrendous Black flies for much of Spring and early Summer. You can develop the green-tunnel vision syndrome for much of the first half.
3. Skyline Pond Shelter. Fairly remote, and well constructed.
4. Haven't explored the trail-towns much, but North Adams at the Southern Terminus, and Stowe when the Skiers aren't around are both great little towns.
5. Camel's Hump. Less people than Mansfield, no developments, naturally above tree line, and great views.
6. I tried getting time off to hike it this past fall, but it fell-through, so I will hopefully make an attempt next summer/fall.

Looking forward to hereing from you guys!

DebW
11-11-2003, 17:09
I figured someone would post this one before me. For those who don't know it, it's the oldest established long-distance hiking trail in the US. It extends from Massachusetts to Canada along the spine of the Green Mountains in Vermont. Roughly the southern half shares the same path with the AT until the AT splits off to head east into the Whites. There are three natural above tree-line summits with all the dwarf trees and alpine vegetation to go with it.

1. The northern half is very demanding physically and mentally. The ups and downs are very steep on bare rock, which means you don't just walk, you search for footholds and sometimes handholds much of the time. 10-12 mile days beat you up. 13-15 mile days wipe you out. (Is this the part I like or the part I hate? :confused: )
2. The Breadload Wilderness was unpleasant the day we did it because it was snowing and the trail wasn't clipped back, so our clothes got soaked. The steep ledges left me with sore knees for 3 weeks afterwards.
3. Stark's Nest, Bear Hollow.
4. Richmond, just west of Jonesville. There's a great B&B in town, and if they're full, they might send you to stay with Marion (if you're not fussy). The best laundromat is in Johnson.
5. Let's see... did Mansfield in an approaching storm, Camel's Hump in the clouds the day after a rainstorm, Abraham in a snowstorm. Killington I skipped the summit because it was raining so hard. Best view was from Burnt Rock Mtn. :sun
6. Not yet. Hanover to North Adam in 2001, Canada to Lincoln Gap in 2003. 40 miles to go.

Kerosene
11-11-2003, 19:39
1. Like: Nice length with varied terrain. I especially loved the wilder northern section.

2. Hate: Starting on the northern section(!) out of shape on a 95-degree August day, followed by 21 out of 25 days with rain.

3. Favorite Shelter: I share RH's preference of Skyline Pond. We reached there close to sunset after a 21-mile day (when it didn't rain). A lovely, idyllic setting.

4. Favorite Town: We didn't spend a lot of time in towns, but Stowe would have to get my choice. We weren't going to hitch in, but after walking umpteen miles in a combination of high winds, rain, sleet and snow, we needed to get dried out.

5. Favorite Summit: We saw a thunderstorm roll through Bolton Valley from the summit of Camel's Hump (soon after which we decided that a barren summit near a thunderstorm wasn't a good place to be!). We also had great views from Stark's Next and Abraham Mountain.

6. Status: I thru-hiked the Long Trail, SOBO, in August 1979 with my baby brother (his first backpacking trip!).

mustang
11-13-2003, 18:36

1. Once it splits from the AT, it becomes so much more rugged and beautiful. I loved exploring the whole state of Vermont
2. I can't think of anything off hand, but I'm sure when I was out there I could have thought of several things :)
3. What's the one right before Mansfield? I saw the most beautiful sunset from there
4. Jonesville (Where the LT Tavern is)
5. Burnt Rock
6. I thru hiked it in '01

stranger
11-14-2003, 23:48
[QUOTE=mustang]1. What do people like about it?

1. It's the original long distance trail, it's a very nice length, thru-hikeable without dropping out of life...and beautiful!
2. Very rugged north of Killington, stinging nettles, too many shelters, many days of wet feet (none of these I hate, rather dislike)
3. Probably Taylor Lodge or Glastenbury (Goddard), some of the "camps" are cool
4. Manchester Center and Johnson
5. So many...but would have to pick Camel's Hump
6. I thru-hiked twice

celt
11-15-2003, 00:57

1. The rugged, more remote, less traveled northern 170 for the introvert in me; the more social, easier miles of the southern 100 for the extrovert.

2. Nothing really.

3. Goddard, Spruce Ledge, Emily Proctor & Skyline Lodge are good ones. Butler Lodge was my favorite: great sunsets over Lake Champlain and The Adirondaks

4. Johnson was nice but I havn't spent much time in town while hiking. Burlington is a great city. Go there for fun.

5. Burnt Rock: great views, less crowded

6. 600+ miles / 1999 MA to ME Jct / 2001 NoBo / May 2002 CAN to App Gap / Oct 2002 App Gap to MA

Chickety
11-19-2003, 22:11
First post, new to the board, love the LT and looking for more info on the AT, so I just had to join!!

1. Love that is it so close to home (the state next door), some rugged sections, some overgrown sections, the biggest mud puddles I've ever seen, get to see many of VT's ski areas

2. There is nothing that I hate......but it sure rains alot in that state! You get to meet lots of cool people and then have to say goodbye cause they are hiking the AT and heading East

3. Shooting Star is the best.....maybe because it was my last night on the trail and it just felt magical, but it's still cool.

4. Johnson has Plum and Main, great restaraunt, Manchester Center is easy to walk around in and has everything you'd ever need. Waterbury had Ben and Jerry's and that just can't be beat! :)

5. I love Mansfield, the sunset from there is amazing, but during the day.......watch out for the stampedes of people! I like Butternut....just because of the name! Camel's Hump is a tough mountain to compete with, it's so profound and you can see if for miles to the North or South and feel for how far you have traveled.

6. Hiked it NOBO in August '03 and loved every muddy step of it!

Bankrobber
11-20-2003, 00:52
People say the northern half of the trail is quite physically demanding. Does it compare to the Whites or some sections in Maine (Mahoosucs, Katahdin)?

celt
11-20-2003, 06:37
People say the northern half of the trail is quite physically demanding. Does it compare to the Whites or some sections in Maine (Mahoosucs, Katahdin)?

Sections of the northern Long Trail do compare to the rugged, rocky, rooty trails and steep ups and downs of The Whites and certain areas in Maine including The Mahoosucs. Lots of Grade-A Northern New England Trail.

Peaks
11-20-2003, 08:50
Sections of the northern Long Trail do compare to the rugged, rocky, rooty trails and steep ups and downs of The Whites and certain areas in Maine including The Mahoosucs. Lots of Grade-A Northern New England Trail.

That section is sometimes called the "Long and Hard Trail."

feedbag
11-20-2003, 13:20
1. What did I like about it? Hey, what was there not to like? Athough the less traveled-more rugged northern section was amazing, my favorite stretch was the ridge between Styles and Peru peak. it was up high with moist moss and bogs, gave me that feeling of freedom, wonderfull hiking. And ohh, the people you'll meet...

2. What did I hate about it? From Rolston Rest to David Logan, this was my first expierence with stinging nettles, slabbing acrost the side of the ridge, never quite getting a view of that resivor.

3. What's your favorite shelter? Butler Lodge, great view, fully enclosed, and a wonderfull group of people to share it with that evening.

4. What's wour favorite town? Not a town but the Whistle stop was my favorite civilized stop along the way.The best corned beef hash of my life.

5. What's your favorite summit? There was an open warming hut on the top of Madona Peak, no water, no privy, but the sunset over Mansfield was more than worth it.

6. Who has thru-hiked it? Yep, July-August '02

oruoja
11-21-2003, 06:13
I first discovered the Long Trail back in '79 when I did an AT section hike from Bear MT NY to Hanover NH and ever since then I have been coming back to rehike it.
1. I really like the variety of terrain and the solitude still available north of Rte 4, though the swimming in the south can't be beat.
2. The section from Rte 4 to Lincoln Gap has usually been overgrown, buggy in places, and with limited water in certain seasons. It also sustained quite a bit of damage from the ice storm of '98 removing the canopy.
3. Favorite shelter. This is a hard one since at least a dozen favorites come to mind. Based on good past weather and solitude I really liked Spruce Ledge shelter up near Devil's Gulch. It's enclosed with sliding doors, large bunk platforms, skylights, and a nice viewpoint nearby overlooking Ritterbush Pond and Belvidere Mt.
4. Favorite town. For the AT part Manchester Center is great, though the influx of the trendy outlet stores detracts from my first visits back in '79 and '81. Up north I really liked Johnson as the Grand Union (market), USPO, laundry, and Plum & Main (restaurant) were convenient. All of this is about 1.5 miles east of the trail, however, the Long Trail Tavern at the trail Jct with Rte 15 provides quiet camping, showers, secure pack storage when in town, and good food and beer. Note: As of July '03 the place still caters to hikers, but the owner is apparently very sick and his spouse had passed away since my last stay in '02. Don't know how long the business will remain.
5. Favorite summit. Again, many to choose from. This year had the RARE! opportunity to reach Camel's Hump on a good day and not have a soul in sight for half an hour. On the AT portion I really like Glastenbury Mountain with it's old firetower and expansive views. Neat shelter (Goddard, .3 mi S), with great water nearby. Spent the night in the tower back in May of '81 on clear and cold night.
6. Between 1979 and 2003 have three thru-hikes and lots of 50 to 80 mile section hikes.

I prefer to hike the LT SOBO for several reasons. Yes, the northern section is "tougher", but only in certain sections. The solitude and higher peaks I personally enjoy in the first few weeks. I then take a day or two layover at Killington at the Sherburne-Killington Motel (next to USPO and Deli-market) and really enjoy the last 105 miles with the AT. More companionship and swimming opportunities. I like to give myself five weeks so I can stop and enjoy spots along the trail, or in some cases wait out bad weather. In any case the Long Trail is a great primer for aspiring AT hikers. Have met lots and lots of former AT thru-hikers who have come back to do the LT and all really liked it.

stranger
11-22-2003, 22:47
I thru-hiked the Long Trail in 1994 and 1997, both times I found the northern section (north of Killington) MUCH harder than the southern section which runs alongside the AT. Saying that...I also hike northbound both times and that works against you as the trail gets more difficult as you go. Hiking south would build you up quicker and you would have a 100 mile cruise after Sherburne Pass, or atleast what I consider a cruise.

sp00ky
12-05-2003, 14:38
I thru-hiked the Long Trail in 1994 and 1997, both times I found the northern section (north of Killington) MUCH harder than the southern section which runs alongside the AT. Saying that...I also hike northbound both times and that works against you as the trail gets more difficult as you go. Hiking south would build you up quicker and you would have a 100 mile cruise after Sherburne Pass, or atleast what I consider a cruise.

I have been seriously thinking about doing this thru-hike also. I was considering going Southbound as being Canadian it just seems natural...

This would be my first real long hike (longer than 7 days that is) and am a little afraid that doing the hard part first might make me question my decision.. but if I completed a good portion first I might be able to fall back on the "you can't quit now.. you've gone so far" when the going gets tough.

What are your thoughts.. if you can understand what the heck I am trying to say :)

Thanks,

Scott

Lone Wolf
12-05-2003, 14:52
Hey Sp00ky, hike south young man. It's not as bad as folks make it out to be. I used to live 3 miles from the end of the LT. Was a snowmaker at Jay Peak for 10 years. I hiked a lot on the northern end of the trail. It's rugged at times but just do low/slow miles and enjoy it.

DebW
12-05-2003, 15:27
Actually, the first 3-5 days aren't that hard. South of Johnson it gets harder. Lone Wolf has it right. Don't try to do big miles. 8-10 per day is enough. I went SOBO, and always enjoyed the first 8-9 miles, but 12-15 mile days wore me down. My knees got sore from all those super steep downhills and took a few weeks to recover. Strengthen you knees ahead of time if you can.

Jester2000
12-05-2003, 16:33
I liked the ruggedness of the northern part, as it led to Funkee Munkee falling down in spectacular ways, and dropping up to his hip in mud, both of which are pretty funny. Oh, and the people were very nice as well.

I didn't like the fact that I erroneously thought I was in the same shape starting the Long Trail as I had been in when I got to Vermont while on the AT. But that's just because I'm a moron. Oh, and the pre-hike Guinness-fest didn't help matters.

No favorite shelter, but my favorite camping spot was next to the lake where the locals skinny dip.

The people at the Long Trail Tavern were very kind to us, as were the folks at the Inn at Long Trail.

Funkee Munkee and I hiked the Long Trail Summer 2002. I'd do it again.

Kerosene
12-06-2003, 11:55
If you're really out of shape, then you might want to start out from Massachusetts. If you're in decent overall shape but just not in backpacking shape yet, then starting from Canada should be fine. My 16-year old brother who had never backpacked before did fine heading south. A lot will depend on the weather you get also; we got a lot of different forms of wet stuff falling on us in August (1979). I still fondly remember the northern section as some of the best extended section of trail that I've had the pleasure of hiking.

A-Train
12-06-2003, 13:44
I have only hiked the AT portion of the long trail as well as other day hikes and the such (mansfield, hump, mt abe, horrid etc,) so I don't have much experience with the northern part.
I'm looking to start in early june SOBO. Is this realistic?? All the guidebooks say the bugs are horrendous and the mud is awful. Is this true? I could possibly hold off till august, when i'm likely to run into the crowd of NOBO ATers.
Which would you do? I'm not too worried about the physcial aspect of a SOBO from canada. In fact I think it'd be nice to do slow miles over the rugged isolated parts and be able to put my jets on for the southern part which is likely to be very crowded. Altho there are lots of places I want to revisit that I either loved or had poor weather for (bromley, baker peak, glastenbury, stratton, goddard shelter, little rock pond).

Overall how will it be starting from the north in early june? hardly any people? mud? bugs? what do you think? I will have a hammock and bugs did not bother me too much in vermont on my at hiked. I was in vermont from 6/12-6/21. Altho it rained a lot...

oruoja
12-06-2003, 14:51
Doint the LT in June should be no problem. Over the last 25 years I have been out on extended hikes on the LT as early as mid May. Some years the black flies were not too bad, then again, some years they lingered well into July. As far as water and mud goes, well it's anyones guess. This last August I was in a swamp and rain forest and in '98 August the streams were dry and it was really hot. A lot will depend on the overwinter snowpack and how much rain comes in the spring.

DebW
12-06-2003, 14:57
Hammock Hanger was on the LT in early June this year. You can read her account on Trail Journals.

Peaks
12-06-2003, 15:12
A-Train, you are at UVM, so you will see what spring is like. The Green Mountain Club urges everyone to stay off the higher elevations until after mud season. The reason being is that the trail is very soft and fragile until some of the water gets out of the soil and things harden up somewhat. That means, please don't go peak bagging until after Memorial Day.

So, by June, the trail should be in good shape for hiking. However, like Maine, June is black fly season, and skeeters. So, just be prepared and you will be fine.

Unlike Maine, there are bridges in Vermont.

No matter when you hike, enjoy.

celt
12-06-2003, 18:52
I started a south bound LT hike around Memorial Day in 2002. The bugs were only bad when I stopped hiking and by sunset most were gone. There was mud but no more than a rainy summer season. Mud can vary a lot from year to year. I encountered snow on most peaks above 3000 feet: Jay Peak, Belvidere, Whiteface, Mansfield, Bolton and Camels Hump. The most difficult snow was on the northern slopes of Mansfield (below treeline) and Bolton. On both I was postholing from time to time. I didn't have to carry snowshoes or any kind of crampons or creepers. The things I liked best about hiking in the spring were: fewer people and the forest in various states of blooming (the wildflowers were out too). My spring thru hike was cut short at Appalachian Gap after eight days and I probably missed more snow and the peak black fly season. I returned to finish in October. My 2002 Long Trail hike is on trailjournals at www.trailjournals.com/celt.

stranger
12-08-2003, 20:30
I hope to thru-hike the LT a third time and if I do I will shoot for September, and hike south. Both my hikes were in July-August and the trail was still full of mud, I don't think there is a time it's not, but obviously it will be worse in the spring.

As I stated earlier the northern section is harder but it's not that hard. What I mean is that you can still cover 15 a day without breaking your ass, especially if you get out on the trail early. Saying that there were many days when I wished I had done less miles, a problem I tend to have, but never felt like I was over working myself.

Swampyankee
12-19-2003, 15:32
A first time post on this forum. I have enjoyed this discussion and would like to hear more on the Long Trail. I am considering a end to end nobo this year and would like to do June, is this wise?

I did a section this past June and found it in good condition. Some mud, but hey it's New England.

Celt - I learned much from your journal. Has anyone else out there done the LT in early summer? Thanks, SY

Lone Wolf
12-19-2003, 15:36
Hey Swampyank, where in Ct. ya from? I'm from R.I near Kingston.

Peaks
12-19-2003, 17:21
June is black fly season in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. But, if you hiked last year in June, you know that.

The Green Mountain Club suggests that you stay off the higher elevations until after Memorial Day so the trail has a chance to dry out some and harden up, so June is fine from that aspect.

June can be a good time to hike. It's before the summer camps start hitting the trail.

Swampyankee
12-20-2003, 12:14
L Wolf. I am from Ellington CT - near Vernon. Every once in a while a transplanted RIer or someone from Eastern CT recognizes the trail name. It is facinating how local this seems to be. People in CT west of the river (Conn) don't seem to know, but you get to RI or Tolland / Windham counties in ct and lots of people kinda know what an "old swampyankee" is.

Peaks, thanks for the input. I assumed Id be ok after Memorial day, but it is good to be reassured. Last June the bugs didn't seem to be overly bothersome - especially when we kept moving. In some ways I'd rather deal with them that the July/August heat.

Thanks again, Swampyankee

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2003, 12:28
My friend Gray Panter and I started out from Sherburne Pass the first week in June. First day was hot, muddy and oh so buggy. Next two days were cold cold and colder. Awoke at the Sunlight Pond Shelter to 36 degrees, felt colder. Remained cold for a few more days then warm and buggy, then cold and wet. So being prepared for anything is a must.

However, sound like you are familar with the area. Have fun.

Sue/HH

RagingHampster
12-20-2003, 17:11
I figured I'd post the link to the Green Mountain Club's website.
Great Organization.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

Take a look!

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2003, 19:42
:p Suppose we can share it... LOL

BTW: We BOTH misquoted her. I corrected mine.

Sue/HH

RagingHampster
12-20-2003, 21:05
Lol HH, I think I may have pulled that quote off your signature awhile back! :p

I'm in the process of changing it again... :datz

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2003, 23:15
Lol HH, I think I may have pulled that quote off your signature awhile back! :p

I'm in the process of changing it again... :datz
Don't beat yourself up over it!!! Repeat after me: No, no, must not hit self with club.
Sue/HH