PDA

View Full Version : Lentil Burritos

sarbar
09-27-2007, 14:41
This is a recipe I did today for lunch....

Burritos with lentils? Why not! Think filling, full of protein and tasty! And yes, this is another recipe featuring Harmony House Foods dried items. I am fully in love with their products at this point ;-)

Lentil Burritos:

In the first freezer bag put:
1 cup instant rice

In the second freezer bag put:
1/2 cup dried lentils
2 Tbsp dried bell peppers
1 Tbsp dried onions
1 heaping Tbsp dried salsa

Also take:
2-4 tortillas (depending on size)
1 ounce cheddar cheese, chopped or grated.

Add 1 cup boiling water to the rice bag, stir and seal. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the lentils, stir well. Put both bags into a cozy for 10 minutes.

Make burritos with the fillings, top with cheese and roll up. Also works well as a "burrito bowl".

Serves 2, this recipe makes a lot.

Notes: Drying salsa is very easy to do. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use 3 or 4 packets of salsa instead, McDonald's is a good source of them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Lentilburritos2.jpg

zelph
09-27-2007, 15:13
This is a recipe I did today for lunch....

Burritos with lentils? Why not! Think filling, full of protein and tasty!

And for me their filled with gas. I'm sure the're tasty and love your recipe, but I'll pass.

I love lentil soup!!!! I would love lentil burritos, but I'll pass:D

jrwiesz
09-27-2007, 16:47
And for me their filled with gas. I'm sure the're tasty and love your recipe, but I'll pass.

I love lentil soup!!!! I would love lentil burritos, but I'll pass:D

Try this site for the soup/bisque http://maryjanesfarm.com/

Sarbar this recipe looks [as with all of your recipes/ideas that I have seen] like it would be great to try. I will ASAP. Thanks.:sun

fehchet
09-27-2007, 17:12
Sarbar, you have great food ideas. Right up my alley with Harmony House Foods too.

tha
09-29-2007, 21:10
Sarbar,

Please tolerate my ignorance, but I am confused about the HH products. Their site said to allow 2 hours for re-hydration and to let it take place in the refrigerator to prevent growth of microorganisms.

Is re-hydration different from cooking? Because, otherwise, it seems very impractical for camping use. Should I assume that they are not the same thing? If they are different, I am thinking about getting a couple of their legume family samplers for emergency storage as well. HH should pay you a sales commission for all of your great recipe ideas.

Sorry to be such a doofus, but I'm cornfused!!

Thanks.

sarbar
09-29-2007, 22:48
tha - the HHF beans come right back to life with boiling water added. They only need a 10-15 mninute sitting time and are good to go!

If you soak them (in cold water) it would take a lot longer, so in the frig would be a good idea.

But if you say are using them in a soup, on a camp stove, they'd be ready to eat once aded to boiling liquid in 15 minutes or less (they don't need to be boiled the whole time, just need to be left in the hot liquid.)

I can say that the beans have gone into our E-kit at home now for the winter! (And also the veggies.....). Living where we do, power outages in winter are common.

greentick
09-29-2007, 23:51
Sarbar, can you combine the lentils and rice in one bag for rehydration. I know it won't look as pretty but should taste the same...right?

(it all mixes up in your stomach...;) )

tha
09-30-2007, 01:25
tha - the HHF beans come right back to life with boiling water added. They only need a 10-15 mninute sitting time and are good to go!

If you soak them (in cold water) it would take a lot longer, so in the frig would be a good idea.

But if you say are using them in a soup, on a camp stove, they'd be ready to eat once aded to boiling liquid in 15 minutes or less (they don't need to be boiled the whole time, just need to be left in the hot liquid.)

I can say that the beans have gone into our E-kit at home now for the winter! (And also the veggies.....). Living where we do, power outages in winter are common.

Sarbar,

That is just perfect! Thank you so much for the explanation. The Bay Area has its share of power outages as well.

Tim

sarbar
09-30-2007, 10:18
Sarbar, can you combine the lentils and rice in one bag for rehydration. I know it won't look as pretty but should taste the same...right?

(it all mixes up in your stomach...;) )
Sure! It wouldn't be pretty though :eek: Still be tasty!

greentick
12-02-2007, 00:46
These were great on my last section. Forgot my cheese at home but they still rocked.

JAK
12-02-2007, 00:52
I am looking to work more lentils and less skim milk into my diet. Thanks. Opens up more ideas for lentils, like lentil loaf instead of meat loaf. Perhaps some sort of lentil pemican also. Lentican? Pemilent?

mudhead
12-02-2007, 09:48
Were these Harmony lentils?

Or home cooked/dried?

Deadeye
12-02-2007, 09:55
Thanks for the recipe, sounde great. I'll second the praise for Harmony House - lots of good stuff. I just add some veggies to my cooking water at the start, and bring it to a boil, then do my usual freezer bag cooking - most things rehydrate just fine in that time.

sarbar
12-02-2007, 17:35

Or home cooked/dried?
Yes, they were :) The lentils from HHFoods are the best! They come back to life in 5-10 minutes and are very tasty!

greentick
12-02-2007, 17:37

Or home cooked/dried?

That's what I used.

Smile
12-03-2007, 08:12
So these lentils could be presoaked, say after lunch - for an even faster heat up / cook time?

sarbar
12-03-2007, 12:02
So these lentils could be presoaked, say after lunch - for an even faster heat up / cook time?
They are pretty much instant lentils. All I do is add boiling water to them, stir and put them in a cozy for 10 minutes or so. They are fully precooked :)