PDA

View Full Version : Erwin Hiking Center

Miss Janet
09-27-2007, 15:02
...tic....tic....tic...tic...

I should know if I am getting the property I want in the next day or so. Why do I feel like I am going to explode?

If you are a friend of mine and a supporter of Miss Janet's House... or just a friend I haven't met yet:) ... please keep your fingers crossed for me for the next day or so!

SGT Rock
09-27-2007, 15:03
We got 'em crossed here Janet. Let us know what goes down.

The Weasel
09-27-2007, 15:08
Of course we are, Janet.

TW

sonic
09-27-2007, 15:09
My fingers, toes, hands, arms and legs are crossed.

Marta
09-27-2007, 15:19
I'll get out my special clover...

Jim Adams
09-27-2007, 15:28
...been crossed for you since 2002!!!

geek

Sly
09-27-2007, 15:38
Hey, I came to visit a week ago but no one was up to answer the door except Fabian. I'll try again after the Gathering. Good luck with the property.

Footslogger
09-27-2007, 15:46
Energy flows in the direction of thought ...and I'm thinking A LOT about this working out for you Miss Janet !!

'Slogger

sherrill
09-27-2007, 16:45
Miss Janet, I'll keep mine crossed for you if you'll do the same for me. We are waiting on county approval for our septic plans for land near Hot Springs. With your good karma in our corner I know it'll happen... :)

Lilred
09-27-2007, 16:52
You know I will. Would love to help with the move if you need a van or anything let me know. You're not that far from me.....

dixicritter
09-27-2007, 16:59
Like Rock said our fingers are crossed for ya Miss Janet!

fehchet
09-27-2007, 17:07
I'm sending white light and good thoughts. I'll be back in Erwin before Thanksgiving and ready to help. Did I tell you about your idea with Mrs.S (landlady). She's found me a partner.
Again, lots of luck and good karma my friend. Wish we could have done the islands this summer. that guy.

Krewzer
09-27-2007, 20:10
Hey, you know I'm pullin' for you. :banana X :banana
(OK, I know they're bananas, but it's as close as we got to fingers)

Tennessee Viking
09-28-2007, 02:29
Fingers crossed, lucky penny in hand, box of Lucky Charms ceral, and will grab me a leprechaun next time I am on trail.

mweinstone
09-28-2007, 03:57
i see miss janet with a large smile on her face. im seeing her feet up and a long island iced tea or somthing in her hand. shes reading something. its a deed. shes very happy. shes waveing the papers and exclaiming joyously and makeing lofty plans. sly is visiting her. their cooking together. its some kind of chicken dish. roasted im sure. with sauce. now im seeing katey picking out a room and begging to have it. i see them working together. i see thanksgiving at miss janets in 08. oh,.. look,.....its me,.....im carving the tofurky. and slys carving the turkey. and everyones there. and we toast miss janet and she crys. she hates to cry in front of hikers. she also hates people who leave the edge of the tub wet after a shower. and she hates wineing. and what ever you do , dont run the water when your washing dishes. fill one sink with soapwater and one with rincewater. or your so dead.

Two Speed
09-28-2007, 05:53
. . . fill one sink with soapwater and one with rincewater. or your so dead.or you may get extra duty in the garden. Either way it's good.

Miss Janet, I hope it works out. Then I can get my "I slept with Miss Janet" t-shirt. :)

SawnieRobertson
09-28-2007, 07:55
So, can you handle all the good news that is sure to follow AND be at the Gathering to tell us more about The Plan? Ankles, eyes--you get the picture.--Kinnickinic

mountain squid
09-28-2007, 08:14
:) Good Luck, Miss Janet <insert thumbs-up smiley>. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

peanuts
09-28-2007, 09:00
absolutely, miss janet, fingers, toes and everything in between.......

eArThworm
09-28-2007, 11:18
I should know if I am getting the property I want in the next day or so. Why do I feel like I am going to explode?

:crosses fingers and toes: OK, I'm exploding from concentration on your getting that property!!

Miss Janet
09-28-2007, 17:40
I received this 28 minutes ago...

...Elaine and I appreciate your interest in the Willow Park property. However, at this time, our redevelopment vision for Willow Park does not include a reuse of the existing structures. Our intention is for a complete redevelopment including all new infrastructure and facilities.

I wish you well in finding your new location for the Erwin Hiking Center.
Thanks again,
Dwight Guinn

SO.....

Plans A, B and C are all history now and I am not sure what is next...

Thank you all for your good thoughts and well wishes. Right now I am feeling a little deflated and defeated... I think I will go take a hike.

SGT Rock
09-28-2007, 17:42
Clear your mind. Something will come.

Appalachian Tater
09-28-2007, 17:44
Wilow Park, Texas?

Sorry that didn't work out. Something will.

fehchet
09-28-2007, 18:36
At least you have the freedom to move to something else my friend.

LIhikers
09-28-2007, 19:01
We haven't met yet, but I've heard so many nice things about you Miss Janet that I've got my fingers and toes all crossed for you.

Marta
09-28-2007, 19:21
I'm so sorry to hear you've been let down again.

dixicritter
09-28-2007, 20:05
I'm sorry too Miss Janet. Don't give up on your dream.

Jim Adams
09-28-2007, 20:27
hang in there Sweetie...it will happen!

geek

mweinstone
09-28-2007, 22:47
im not sorry. who needs flates and feet anyway?(deflated and defeated) what you need to imagine janet, is that that place had cootys and the one your about to find is the money property. the one you know nothing about at this moment but can faithfully belive exists for you. and the perfect place exists for you not as a factore of numbers or probubility,..but as a fact of gods plan for you. janet,...how many folks come to the trail friskyfilled and bushytailed knowing not how to crap in the woods and all because they hear storys of legonds like miss janets house. miss janets house is neither house nor human. its an entity. its bigger than you and your house put together. its an entity that has its time in as far as giving and supporting and being theiring. you have grace. you are under gods grace. to despair is to turn ones back on god and you know it. so go get some girlfriends and get gussyed up and go out drinkin. heavy.were all gonna be here for you no matter how long your hostel is down.

Wonder
09-29-2007, 08:53
I'm so sorry Miss J.

SGT Rock
09-29-2007, 08:59
You could always thru-hike next year.

Lilred
09-29-2007, 09:45
I agree with Matthewski on this on Janet. There's a reason why it fell through and that's cause a better property is out there waiting for you to find it. When we were buying our house, I found the perfect place. But things unraveled in the selling of our house and we lost the perfect place. I must have cried for a week, sure I would never find one as good as that one. Well, last May we bought a house that is even better than that perfect place. I am soooo glad that first one fell through. Keep looking, your place is still out there.

Panzer1
09-29-2007, 11:06
I'm sorry, I didn't hear the first part about what happened to her original house. Why is she looking for a new place??:confused:

Panzer - always the last to hear

Two Speed
09-30-2007, 07:57
. . . Right now I am feeling a little deflated and defeated... I think I will go take a hike.You have every reason in the world to feel a bit down. A break's probably the best thing you could do right now.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed, too. I was filling odd moments trying to figure out when I could make it up there, would I need reservations and could I fill two sinks with soapy water and get away with blaming it on matthewski. You know, visions of hiker fun and all that.

All kidding around aside I really am a bit disappointed. I guess I'll put my money with Lilred & matthewski and believe something better's coming down the road for you.

Shane! Come Back!
09-30-2007, 10:13
I'm sorry, I didn't hear the first part about what happened to her original house. Why is she looking for a new place??

The Erwin Record, 9/30/2007, "Miss Janet to Close Popular Hostel," by David Thometz
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=592&NewsID=825648&CategoryID=4085&on=1

mweinstone
09-30-2007, 19:45
i quote janet"“There was never anything that we couldn’t handle.""

wakapak
09-30-2007, 21:58
i'm going to have to agree with matthewski and lilred too...if there's one thing i keep learning over and over in life, it's that even when we think we have a the right plan, there is a bigger plan out there for us and we just have to trust in that! matthewski is right...miss janets house is a bigger than human entity, so it will not go away....something magnificent will come along!! we love you miss janet!!

John B
10-01-2007, 07:48
Just a thought, but do you have to stay in Erwin? What I mean is that perhaps there is another location on the AT that would be better suited for a hostel/hiking center. I'd think that some of the thruhikers could give you some reasoned opinions on areas on the AT that might be well served by a hostel/hiking center. Anyway, just my .02. Good luck to you -- I really enjoyed staying at your place and look forward to its reincarnation.

Gray Blazer
10-01-2007, 08:01
im not sorry. who needs flates and feet anyway?(deflated and defeated) what you need to imagine janet, is that that place had cootys and the one your about to find is the money property. the one you know nothing about at this moment but can faithfully belive exists for you. and the perfect place exists for you not as a factore of numbers or probubility,..but as a fact of gods plan for you. janet,...how many folks come to the trail friskyfilled and bushytailed knowing not how to crap in the woods and all because they hear storys of legonds like miss janets house. miss janets house is neither house nor human. its an entity. its bigger than you and your house put together. its an entity that has its time in as far as giving and supporting and being theiring. you have grace. you are under gods grace. to despair is to turn ones back on god and you know it. so go get some girlfriends and get gussyed up and go out drinkin. heavy.were all gonna be here for you no matter how long your hostel is down.

Couldn't say it better myself, btother (I probably would capitalize it).

Jan LiteShoe
10-01-2007, 08:21
Clear your mind. Something will come.

Very Zen!
:)
I concurr.
And re: a thruhike - is this the window of opportunity?

Lone Wolf
10-01-2007, 08:43
Just a thought, but do you have to stay in Erwin? What I mean is that perhaps there is another location on the AT that would be better suited for a hostel/hiking center. I'd think that some of the thruhikers could give you some reasoned opinions on areas on the AT that might be well served by a hostel/hiking center. Anyway, just my .02. Good luck to you -- I really enjoyed staying at your place and look forward to its reincarnation.

Damascus could use a good hostel/hiking center

restless
10-01-2007, 09:31

Iwonder how the name "Erwin Hiker Center" would go over in Damascus:D

Gray Blazer
10-01-2007, 09:37
You could call it the Urban Hiking Center. Kinda like Asheville stole the Irwin Burrito idea.

SGT Rock
10-01-2007, 09:54
You could call it the Appalachian Hiking Center - then it could be franchised LOL.

jlb2012
10-01-2007, 10:15

yeah but then Miss Janet would need to get a trailer to handle the bikes. ;)

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 11:05
Janet ---

Have you considered Unicoi? I had to come off the trail at the crossing that leads down to the little area/town there (small grocery, restaurant, gas) and liked it. Close to Erwin if rides could be provided.

TW

Marta
10-01-2007, 11:55
You could call it the Appalachian Hiking Center - then it could be franchised LOL.

Sort of like the NOC, which has way outgrown the Nantahala River.

I like it. The only problem is coming up with Miss Janet clones...since the land and building are only part of the package.

Miss Janet
10-01-2007, 11:57
I appreciate all of your thoughts and advice. I am very frustrated but I am looking at other options. I have a fairly good handle on what I can do for hikers in this area but I don't think I would be very effective in say... Vermont!

I have looked at a few other places but I still want to stay here. My children are here and I LOVE these mountains! So much about the success of any hostel has to do with NEED. Hikers leaving Hot Springs are willing to carry 3-5 days worth of food and nearly 100% will be stopping in Erwin but very few would stop BEFORE Erwin no matter how enticing I tried to make it. (I just had a vision of BJ out on the trail wearing a sandwich board!)

Leaving Erwin, most hikers have 4-5 days worth of food to get them to Kincora... where OF COURSE they should stop. They will not stop between here and there in any great numbers. You could ask the FOUR other hostels already between Erwin and Hampton! They see only a small number of hikers every year and certainly could not make a living supported by those numbers.

A hostel near a beautiful remote trailhead sounds romantic but the logistics for most hikers do not include these kinds of stops. So, as I look at what I want to do I am trying to be realistic. I don't want to go backwards to a less
appropriate setting for my plans. I do not want to "settle" for any old place just to continue the work I love.

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 11:59
Interesting, many have posted about what I was thinking: since three properties near Erwin were unavailable, it is a sign that Ms. Janet is to go elsewhere.

And then i'm posting exactly when she's posting the opposite!

Miss Janet
10-01-2007, 12:00
Oh, and you silly people throwing around that Thruhike option...

GET REAL! I am not thruhiker material! You think Minnesota Smith had a busy thread when he was hiking. New levels of silly posts and bets would take over White Blaze!!

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 12:03
Oh, and you silly people throwing around that Thruhike option...

GET REAL! I am not thruhiker material! You think Minnesota Smith had a busy thread when he was hiking. New levels of silly posts and bets would take over White Blaze!!

That's actually the best idea. A thru-hike would give you some street cred.

Miss Janet
10-01-2007, 12:03
Sort of like the NOC, which has way outgrown the Nantahala River.

I like it. The only problem is coming up with Miss Janet clones...since the land and building are only part of the package.

This should be up and running by spring. Just north of the NOC and .2 off the AT. It sounds like it will be a great little stop! I am sure they will be here posting about the plans before too long.

Miss Janet
10-01-2007, 12:09
That's actually the best idea. A thru-hike would give you some street cred.

Hey, I am like the audience at a great bluegrass show! I know my place. I am the one that hoots and hollars and pats you on the back for a job well done and begs you to come back again.

... but I recently packed my Gregory Reality for 3 nights out for fall and was happy to see it at 20 pounds with food but not water:) Fabian got all excited, too!

Appalachian Tater
10-01-2007, 12:18
Hey, I am like the audience at a great bluegrass show! I know my place. I am the one that hoots and hollars and pats you on the back for a job well done and begs you to come back again.

... but I recently packed my Gregory Reality for 3 nights out for fall and was happy to see it at 20 pounds with food but not water:) Fabian got all excited, too!

Quite frankly, Miss Janet, if you are like the audience, I was like the one who never even heard of bluegrass much less gone to a show. I didn't even know anybody who hiked. You could certainly do it if you wanted to. In the end, it really is just one step at a time.

Your pack is half the weight of what I started out with. Plus, as you pointed out, you would have more support than you wanted.

BTW L. Wolf is right about Damascus. The community there would probably support a trail center and they NEED one with all those trails coming through there. Not only do most hikers stop in Damascus, they often stay for several days.

The Weasel
10-01-2007, 13:32
Janet:

In terms of locations, if you are looking at others, I think you should look into Hot Springs. It is trying to become a trail town more and more, it's near the front of the "surge" each spring, and it has basic services already, without being overloaded, as I think Damascus could be.

Just be careful what you call it. There's already been one "Center for Appalachian Studies" there.:rolleyes:

TW

SGT Rock
10-01-2007, 13:36
It's too bad that old hostel down on the Nolichucky at the whitewater rafting place ain't available.

Heater
10-01-2007, 13:40
I agree with Matthewski on this on Janet. There's a reason why it fell through and that's cause a better property is out there waiting for you to find it. When we were buying our house, I found the perfect place. But things unraveled in the selling of our house and we lost the perfect place. I must have cried for a week, sure I would never find one as good as that one. Well, last May we bought a house that is even better than that perfect place. I am soooo glad that first one fell through. Keep looking, your place is still out there.

Yeah, the best things come when you are not looking for them.

Janet is good, Things will work out.

Heater
10-01-2007, 13:43

I'd bet "The Place" might be willing to sell... maybe for a good price or terms to Miss Janet.

Whaddya think?

Lone Wolf
10-01-2007, 13:56
I'd bet "The Place" might be willing to sell... maybe for a good price or terms to Miss Janet.

Whaddya think?

the church has had it for over 30 years. they will never sell. they would tear it down for a parking lot.

chiefdaddy
10-01-2007, 13:57
good luck!!!