PDA

View Full Version : What to do with sleeping bag?...

Socrates
09-28-2007, 02:57
Ok so I have a 15 degree Western Mountaineering sleeping bag but this year, I found it to be too warm sometimes in early March in GA... Sooo for next year, should I hang on to it and just dump it for a summer bag as soon as temps get warmer? Or should I get a slightly cooler bag now that will last a bit longer into the season? Whadda yall think?

springerfever
09-28-2007, 05:18
I would go the two bag route. Early March in Georgia can also see temperatures in the teens , so your current WM bag would be perfect.
So many other factors fit into comfort level at particular temperatures,
such as food intake, extra clothing, metabolism, fatigue...I would rather err
on the warm side.

Pick-up another quality bag (such as WM) with a 30 degree or so rating and you'll be in great shape and save some weight to boot. Quilts are also nice!!

Marta
09-28-2007, 07:09
Quilts are also nice!!

Most of the time I unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a quilt. Only on those special, coldest-of-the-trip nights do I zip it up. For example, on the JMT this summer, I think I zipped up two or three nights out of the 20. So...could I have gotten away with a higher-rating bag? Probably. But I would have had two very miserable nights.

Gray Blazer
09-28-2007, 07:24
Bring it to the FL gathering. I'll trade you something for it.

LIhikers
09-28-2007, 09:07
Who knows what kind of weather next year will bring. I'd say keep it for the start and finish of your hike and have a less warm bag for the middle.

SGT Rock
09-28-2007, 09:10
Most of the time I unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a quilt. Only on those special, coldest-of-the-trip nights do I zip it up. For example, on the JMT this summer, I think I zipped up two or three nights out of the 20. So...could I have gotten away with a higher-rating bag? Probably. But I would have had two very miserable nights.
I like Marta's idea. Just carry one bag and unzip the thing and use it over you like a quilt instead of a swap out.

My other idea was to give me your old bag and go get yourself a 20 degree bag. I'd give your WM a good home.

Socrates
09-28-2007, 14:55
There were some mornings when others said they were cold the night before. I even loaned my down jacket to one poor soul on an occasion. Meanwhile, I would wake up too warm and moist... But I was also sleeping in capilene shirt and hiking pants and socks... I ended up wearing my summer shirt at night and that helped. I guess I could also take off the socks and pants, but it seemed like extra work doing it all inside the sleeping bag... There were usually other females around... I'll be tenting a lot more next year... My head was always tucked inside the bag. Was that the problem? You know, breathing all that warm air in and out all night?

Socrates
09-28-2007, 14:57
Bring it to the FL gathering. I'll trade you something for it.

MAYBE Blazer... But I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question on the thread for the trip first! haha...

And yes Sgt, I'm sure you would gladly let me GIVE you my bag! lol

rafe
09-28-2007, 15:26
MAYBE Blazer... But I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question on the thread for the trip first! haha...

You know there's no "right" answer, Socrates. Choose your poison. Do you prefer to be too hot, or too cold? One or the other can and will happen. Most likely both. Life is full of compromises. You're maybe too young to fully grok that. :D

Johnny Thunder
09-28-2007, 15:32
And to young to know what "grok" means...

BTW...first time I heard grok used in context (on NPR, groan) I laughed so hard I fell off my dino into oncoming traffic.

Socrates
09-28-2007, 22:28
You know there's no "right" answer, Socrates. Choose your poison. Do you prefer to be too hot, or too cold? One or the other can and will happen. Most likely both. Life is full of compromises. You're maybe too young to fully grok that. :D

Indeed I am too young to know what "grok" means...
But my reply would be... Old enough to know, but too young to accept it.:D

Frosty
09-28-2007, 22:47
I would wake up too warm and moist... But I was also sleeping in capilene shirt and hiking pants and socks... I ended up wearing my summer shirt at night and that helped. I guess I could also take off the socks and pants, but it seemed like extra work doing it all inside the sleeping bag... There were usually other females around... I'll be tenting a lot more next year... My head was always tucked inside the bag. Was that the problem? You know, breathing all that warm air in and out all night?You were sleeping with long underwear and pants, and had your head inside your sleeping bag? And you woke up hot and moist? And you think the fault is the bag's?

There were usually other females around

The problem obviously is that those other females are hot for you, having read your other thread. They are radiating too much heat. Before getting in your bag, you should wrap your sleeping bag in a quilt and stuff the whole assembly inside a space blanket to reflect that heat away.

p.s. The moistness is from your breath. A water proof bag (such as a trash compactor bag) placed over your head and tied tightly around your neck should solve that problem.

Frosty
09-28-2007, 22:51
Indeed I am too young to know what "grok" means...Don't worry about Terrapin. He's a stranger is a strange land.

Socrates
09-28-2007, 23:16
Yeah, I liked being tucked away in it because otherwise my head got cold while the rest of me was warm. I guess it's good for most people, but I don't like the way the top of it has it's own little head compartment because I sleep with my arms under my head, which it doesnt have room for. And the elastic gets in the way of moving around. So that's why my head was so far in the bag.
Plus, I bought one with the zipper on the wrong side for me so it only added to my frustration of moving around.
Eh, I guess you live and learn what kind of bags suit you best. Even though it's a larger mummy bag, I've learned that I don't like them anymore...
And it was just lightweight pants, no capilene underneath...

Ewker
09-28-2007, 23:21
wearing some type of hat/beanie while you sleep will help

Socrates
09-28-2007, 23:28
wearing some type of hat/beanie while you sleep will help

I tried that with a beanie, but then I got too hot within minutes. Maybe a thinner beanie would work? lol

Marta
09-29-2007, 05:22
You were sleeping with long underwear and pants, and had your head inside your sleeping bag? And you woke up hot and moist? And you think the fault is the bag's?
p.s. The moistness is from your breath. A water proof bag (such as a trash compactor bag) placed over your head and tied tightly around your neck should solve that problem.

I was trying to think of a diplomatic way to say this...but you saved me the trouble. Thanks, Frosty!