PDA

View Full Version : Another Winter :)

RagingHampster
11-11-2003, 18:08
Just broke out the instep cramp-ons, gloves, snowshoes, Whisperlite "SnowMelter", and winter hiking-boots. I have to bring the cramp-ons to work to sharpen the points, kinda dull from last year...

I'm seriously considering an upgrade from my Atlas Goliaths, to a more David-Like MSR Plastic shoe. The Atlas' are great when there is hard-pack or ice, but they are clumsy when you try to do anything complicated like traversing around dead-falls, or travel at any reasonable speed (ie. not breaking trail).

The MSR units "EVO" and "DUAL EVO" look mighty tasty. Anyone use either of these last winter?

Thanks.

DebW
11-11-2003, 18:52
I have the MSR Denali Ascent. Looks like the EVO is just the Denali upgraded for this year. I've been using mine for 2 years and really like them. Lightweight, manueverable, good traction on everything from soft snow to hardpack and ice. The binding grips boots quite well and stays put. The binding swivels like a good snowshoe should, but only to about 45 degrees, so you can pick the whole shoe off the snow when necessary. I recommend the shorter tail for added flotation and a more centered feel (your boot will be near the back of the snowshoe without). Maybe the long tails if you have really big feet. These things are so much easier to walk on than my old wooden shoes. Very easy to traverse sidehills, and you can go uphill without excessive calf strain.

Footslogger
11-11-2003, 18:57
Went with the Tubbs Pinnacles myself. Like the single touch binding.

gravityman
11-11-2003, 19:42
Check out http://www.northernlites.com/

Great lightweight snowshoes!

Just broke out the instep cramp-ons, gloves, snowshoes, Whisperlite "SnowMelter", and winter hiking-boots. I have to bring the cramp-ons to work to sharpen the points, kinda dull from last year...

I'm seriously considering an upgrade from my Atlas Goliaths, to a more David-Like MSR Plastic shoe. The Atlas' are great when there is hard-pack or ice, but they are clumsy when you try to do anything complicated like traversing around dead-falls, or travel at any reasonable speed (ie. not breaking trail).

The MSR units "EVO" and "DUAL EVO" look mighty tasty. Anyone use either of these last winter?

Thanks.