PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Season?

oreotragus
09-29-2007, 10:23
What is your favorite season to go hiking?

I have been bouncing all over the house this morning because it finally feels like fall here in south GA, if just a little. It is unfortunate that I am very broke and currently unemployed right now (full time college student), because I would really love to go to north GA for some fall hiking. Fall is my favorite.:D

Heater
09-29-2007, 10:32
THIS season. Fall (Autumn)

It is too hot to hike much in Summer in Tejas.

tripp
09-29-2007, 10:36
Winter. gotta love curling up in that sleeping bag and waking up to a fresh snowfall.

ed bell
09-29-2007, 10:56
Anything but summer for me. If I had to pick a favorite I'd say winter. The more I think about it, I'd say it depends....:sun Maybe I'll just say anytime I can get out.:D

bigcranky
09-29-2007, 11:04
November. The leaves are gone, the bugs are gone, the tourists are gone, it's cool enough to hike comfortably during the day, and the views from the ridgelines are great.

Dang, I need to get out and hike....

Jack Tarlin
09-29-2007, 11:12
Depends where I am at the time.

In late March or April, I want to be in Georgia or North Carolina.

Southwest Virginia is perfect in May, and the rest of Virginia is great in June.

July usually finds me in the mid-Atlantic somewhere. One day I'd like to do this section in early fall instead.

August is the best time to be in Vermont; late August is great for New Hampshire.

Maine is perfect in September.

And late September or all of October is a great time for Southern New England.

Actually, I just turned down a chance to go hike in Vermont with Chomp today, and it looks like a perfect day, so I'd have to say right about now is a pretty great time to be hiking in VT.

map man
09-29-2007, 11:22
Late May in northern Minnesota -- it's in that small window after the snow melts and before the skeeters get going. Some day when my job lets me I'd like to try the same place in the period in the fall (late September, early October) after the skeeters die and before the snow flies.

Lyle
09-29-2007, 11:33
Although my answer may seem like a dodge, I have actually been trying to sort out in my mind what my favorite season is and this is all I can come up with.

At the beginning of each season, it becomes my favorite. In Spring I'm ready for nice warm weather, flowers, returning birds, the renewal of the miriad of life-cycles. As Spring wears on, however, I get tired of the showers, mud, cool nights, etc. and start looking forward to Summer.

At the beginning of Summer, I long for the no-shirt, comfortable days, long warm evenings, swimming, canoeing without worry of capsize, thunderstorms, fresh garden produce, etc. By the end, I'm tired of the long HOT nights, mowing lawns, sweaty exertion whatever you try to do, etc.

Beginning of Fall brings the changing foliage, crisp mornings and evenings, cleansing fall rains, fall harvest and storage of food, putting-by of firewood and the anticipation of the warmth it will provide, migrating birds, etc. By the end of fall, with the trees bare and the first frost having killed of the remaining foliage, I start anticipating the beauty of snowcover.

The start of Winter brings that beautiful snow, along with the winter skies (love the "looks like snow" sky), a crisp smell to the air, sparkling snow in both sun and moon light, night walks without need for a flashlight, snowmen, snowball fights, snowshoeing, feeling so VERY snug in a warm sleeping bag while it's well below freezing, taking a walk while large snowvlakes are falling all around, quiet, solitary hikes on a beach, etc. By the end of winter, I'm tired of shoveling that beautiful white stuff (not so beautiful with all the dirt and salt accumulated), I long to be able to go outdoors with a light jacket or sweater, looking forward to being able to be outdoors bare-handed, longing to see some green again, etc.

This cycle repeats year after year. I have never been able to select just one season as my favorite. I guess that is why I anticipate always living in a northern state - we get very distinct seasons, the best of them all. I think I would become very bored with only summer, or only winter. Warm weather climates are nice to visit, but I doubt I would ever choose to live in one year-round.

map man
09-29-2007, 11:41
Very good answer, Lyle -- one of the most enjoyable posts I've read here at WhiteBlaze in a long time.

rafe
09-29-2007, 11:56
For hiking in New England, late summer or early fall. I learned this year that that's not necessarily the best season when hiking the middle section of the trail (mostly due to water scarcity issues.)

Freeleo
09-29-2007, 12:06
fall looks smells and feels the best...cant wait til 08

all my lifes a circle sunrise and sun down....the moon rose through the night time til the daybreak comes around...all my lifes a circle but i cant tell you why........seasons spinning round again...the years keep rollin by

wrongway_08
09-29-2007, 12:52
Winter, fresh snow!

fehchet
09-29-2007, 13:16
I like all the seasons. It is the light of the day, I suppose. When summer begins, day light starts to get shorter but it is hard to notice. When winter begins, day light is on the increase. It's a thrill! And to have January in my back pocket -- now we are talking.

Blissful
09-29-2007, 13:29
Spring!!! Love the flowers that bloom. Virginia is esp pretty in spring. Dogwoods, redbuds, azaleas. Violets, Trillium. Later the rhododendron which was nice in May this past year near the Blue Ridge Parkway. And the light green color of leafy vegetation on the trees and bushes just beginning to sprout.

Kirby
09-29-2007, 19:51
Spring. Early Fall. Weekend summers if the weather is good for it (not to hot, not to cold.)

Kirby

modiyooch
09-29-2007, 20:03
summer. i can take the 90 degree heat. less to carry.

ed bell
09-29-2007, 21:47
Great post Lyle. Very well done. Thanks.:sun

saimyoji
09-29-2007, 21:58
right now :)

Roland
09-30-2007, 06:33
~ I have never been able to select just one season as my favorite. I guess that is why I anticipate always living in a northern state - we get very distinct seasons, the best of them all. I think I would become very bored with only summer, or only winter. Warm weather climates are nice to visit, but I doubt I would ever choose to live in one year-round.

Your post about the seasons mirrors my own beliefs, though I've never articulated it in such an eloquent way.

mudhead
09-30-2007, 07:59
But you have to admit that Feb. is yucky.

faarside
09-30-2007, 08:06
I could'nt have stated it better. What you described and the way you described it make me feel as if I am "there".

I too prefer my being in a northern state. I really need to see and feel seasonal change..

Thanks, and Happy Trails!

Although my answer may seem like a dodge, I have actually been trying to sort out in my mind what my favorite season is and this is all I can come up with.

At the beginning of each season, it becomes my favorite. In Spring I'm ready for nice warm weather, flowers, returning birds, the renewal of the miriad of life-cycles. As Spring wears on, however, I get tired of the showers, mud, cool nights, etc. and start looking forward to Summer.

At the beginning of Summer, I long for the no-shirt, comfortable days, long warm evenings, swimming, canoeing without worry of capsize, thunderstorms, fresh garden produce, etc. By the end, I'm tired of the long HOT nights, mowing lawns, sweaty exertion whatever you try to do, etc.

Beginning of Fall brings the changing foliage, crisp mornings and evenings, cleansing fall rains, fall harvest and storage of food, putting-by of firewood and the anticipation of the warmth it will provide, migrating birds, etc. By the end of fall, with the trees bare and the first frost having killed of the remaining foliage, I start anticipating the beauty of snowcover.

The start of Winter brings that beautiful snow, along with the winter skies (love the "looks like snow" sky), a crisp smell to the air, sparkling snow in both sun and moon light, night walks without need for a flashlight, snowmen, snowball fights, snowshoeing, feeling so VERY snug in a warm sleeping bag while it's well below freezing, taking a walk while large snowvlakes are falling all around, quiet, solitary hikes on a beach, etc. By the end of winter, I'm tired of shoveling that beautiful white stuff (not so beautiful with all the dirt and salt accumulated), I long to be able to go outdoors with a light jacket or sweater, looking forward to being able to be outdoors bare-handed, longing to see some green again, etc.

This cycle repeats year after year. I have never been able to select just one season as my favorite. I guess that is why I anticipate always living in a northern state - we get very distinct seasons, the best of them all. I think I would become very bored with only summer, or only winter. Warm weather climates are nice to visit, but I doubt I would ever choose to live in one year-round.

teachergal
09-30-2007, 08:56
I have SEVERE allergies which limit my outdoor activities. Here in the Central Mid-Atlantic area allergy season runs from March through June and again from August to the 1st freeze. I should move to AK.

Right now I'm waiting for the 1st freeze. Given that the temps last week were in the 90s I have a feeling I'm going to be waiting awhile.

So my favorite months are November, Decemeber, January and February. I try to get out as much as possible during that time.

birdygal
09-30-2007, 11:22
Fall and Spring perfect weather not to hot and not too cold

Cookerhiker
09-30-2007, 11:50
November. The leaves are gone, the bugs are gone, the tourists are gone, it's cool enough to hike comfortably during the day, and the views from the ridgelines are great.

Dang, I need to get out and hike....

I've done week-long backpacks for 2 consecutive Novembers in the Mid-Atlantic PA, NJ, NY, CT. Everything you said is true but the newly-fallen brown oak leaves in this region make for a slippery experience. Especially when hiking NY and CT, our progress on normally-easy downhills was slowed from our slipping and sliding.

Otherwise, I like all seasons except mid-summer at low elevations.

Jim Adams
09-30-2007, 21:16
late september to february---anywhere
march--Georgia
april and may Pennsylvania
june, july and august--stay home or go canoeing

geek

mobileman
09-30-2007, 23:31
Born and raised in the north. I found the best of the outdoors in northern Indiana and southern Michigan to be late April<june and September>early November. Warm days and cool evenings, The birth of the earth and the call of fall. When I moved to Florida 13 years ago, I didn't miss the heavy wet snow and Ice, but I longed for the beautiful moonlit winter nights where you could kick thru the feather like fine snow softly falling while everything seemed to be asleep, except the rabbits whose tracks seemed to be everywhere. Although Florida winter weather is easier on the older body, I miss the changes the four seasons offer. I'm looking forward to late March, starting the AT and the possibilitys of enjoying a (bit) of winter again.