PDA

View Full Version : Kilts vs Shorts vs ????

Doctari
11-11-2003, 23:28
I have considered wearing one of my kilts while hiking. I was thinking of wearing it “traditional” (sans undies :-) )
A few of my concerns are: weight, my lightest one is at least 3 X as heavy as my shorts. Modesty. Versatility, will it work as well as shorts.
A few of the reasons I want to: I like wearing the d*** things. I bet it is as good as a pair of shorts and way more comfy. I sure would get the looks in town wouldn’t I.
So I guess my “question” is: has anyone else worn a Kilt for a thru? Your experiences are? What concerns did they present (good or bad)? Any ideas for a light weight Kilt that actually looks good?
Doctari

MadAussieInLondon
11-12-2003, 04:33
I'm taking a kilt next year. i have a couple, a propper woolen royal stewart tarten and a 'sport kilt' non woolen one. the sport kilt weighs next to nothing compared to the woolen version. but obviously you dont get the same 'hang' without the weight.

hiking in kilts is better than shorts i rekon...

check out
http://www.sportkilt.com/

Doctari
11-12-2003, 09:06
Yea, I like the sport kilt and the Utilikilt, somewhat. I'm thinking of getting one or the other. The sport kilt has more color choices, but I like the pockets on the Utilikilts.
BUT, the darn things are pricy. I payed a total of about $40 for the 2 wee kilts I have, just bought the material & made my own. The great kilt was quite a bit more, but it weighs "a ton" so isn't even a consideration to take hiking.

Haiku
11-12-2003, 11:15
I have a Sport Kilt, and it's comfortable, the pleats stay relatively defined (I don't know how the pleats will hold up to six months without an iron), and is far lighter than a woolen kilt. Are UtiliKilts made of cotton? I can't remember, but that wouldn't be good for hiking. The Sport Kilts are made of a poly material, and while they do get wet (and heavier) they'll dry overnight if you wear it to bed in your sleeping bag, and stay warm when wet. The only thing I miss about the Sport Kilt is having pockets (for my camera, mostly). I may end up getting a small belt pouch for camera and snacks.

Haiku.

MadAussieInLondon
11-12-2003, 11:18
haiku, what you need is a wee sporran! :)

Footslogger
11-12-2003, 13:00
I hike hot ...no ifs ands or buts about it. I didn't even take long pants on my hike this year, with the exception of my rain pants which I quickly ditched. I hiked in cheap nylon shorts (actually a K-mart bathing suit) from which I had cut out the mesh jock liner. Yeah ...I was free balling right from the start. But that alone wasn't enough to keep the "chafe" away. By the time I hit the Smokeys I was hiking like I had just ridden a horse for days (legs pretty far apart). When I hitched into Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap the first place I hit was the Happy Hiker Outfitter. I didn't even have to open my mouth. The owner took one look at me and said ..."you ought to try a kilt". Never had one on before but I figured it couldn't be any worse than what I was doing so I went ahead and bought the Mountain Hardware Kilt. It was like a night and day difference from my shorts ...cooler and less friction. I ended up hiking in that kilt for about the next 3 months, until the weather got cooler and the humidity dropped a bit. Truthfully, if it wasn't for that kilt I think I might have had to get off the trail for a while back in Gatlinburg.

Anyway ...that was my experience. Yours may vary. Just know that for guys, the whole kilt thing is something that takes a little getting used to. For example ...most guys I know don't think much about whether their legs are crossed when they're sitting at a campfire or on the edge of a shelter. I got a few stares until I used to that aspect of wearing the kilt.

Moose2001
11-12-2003, 13:37
Hey Slogger...you left out one problem. Tell them the story about the wind that was blowing when we crossed the ridge North of Charlies Bunion. A bit nippy for you....if I recall.

Footslogger
11-12-2003, 14:54
No Moose ...I hadn't forgotten. My God ...how could I ever forget that day on Charlies Bunion. I think I was trying to forget it.

Yes, a kilt (sans underwear) does tend to expose one to the sudden gusts of wind and can give all new meaning to the word "shrinkage" !!

Trail Yeti
11-12-2003, 16:10
:banana :banana Kilts are great to hike in. I hiked in my Mountain Hardwear from Neels Gap to Katahdin. I still hike in it...although this last trip, it failed miserably on the chafing problem, so I might buy a new one. I also have a sport kilt, but it is heavier than my other so I haven't taken it for a hike yet.
With all that said there are great advantages to kilts. Obviously the do help reduce chafing. And if you have to "do your business" it is extremely easy. You can also change clothes in front of anyone, just pretend its a towel.....
I never wear anything under my kilt unless I am in camp...then I might put a pair of boxers on to avoid flashing everyone my "dirty bubble gum".
Yes, you do get some funny looks in town, but they already think your crazy for hiking 2000 miles so who cares?
Wear a kilt...its a good icebreaker if nothing else.
oh yeah, as for it getting a bit nippy....that's why you carry extra socks!

gravityman
11-12-2003, 17:17
How does the kilt help chafing? I get chafing in two areas. On the inside of my thighs, for which I need longer shorts so the fabric takes the rubbing. The other place is the inside of my butt cheeks where the sweat runs down, and all the movement causes me to get serious pain. The only solution that I have to this one is keeping my back well ventilated and using wet wipes in the evening to clean up the salt so it doesn't collect over multiple days. I've thought about using some type of lub, but just haven't been forced to yet...

How does a kilt stop chafing?

Gravity Man

:banana :banana Kilts are great to hike in. I hiked in my Mountain Hardwear from Neels Gap to Katahdin. I still hike in it...although this last trip, it failed miserably on the chafing problem, so I might buy a new one. I also have a sport kilt, but it is heavier than my other so I haven't taken it for a hike yet.
With all that said there are great advantages to kilts. Obviously the do help reduce chafing. And if you have to "do your business" it is extremely easy. You can also change clothes in front of anyone, just pretend its a towel.....
I never wear anything under my kilt unless I am in camp...then I might put a pair of boxers on to avoid flashing everyone my "dirty bubble gum".
Yes, you do get some funny looks in town, but they already think your crazy for hiking 2000 miles so who cares?
Wear a kilt...its a good icebreaker if nothing else.
oh yeah, as for it getting a bit nippy....that's why you carry extra socks!

Hammock Hanger
11-12-2003, 17:32
I love hiking in a skirt, very comfortable expecially when hot. I MADE a lightwt skirt using the Mt Hardware Kilt as a model. I may make more and sell them at Trail Days. I saw all kinds of male skirts and kilts on the trail. Some of the "real kilts" looked hot and itchy to me. I couldn't understand the LONG kilts past the knees.... Way to hard to climb in.

HH

Doctari
11-13-2003, 00:00
I’m not sure exactly what the utili kilt is made of the only thing I can find is that the denim one is 100% cotton, so that is totally out for hiking.
The sites are:
http://www.sportkilt.com/
https://www.utilikilts.com/catalog-original-index.htm
As to the chaffing question, That is sort of one of MY question. My experience: the chaffing last trip was made worse by the heat build up due to nylon shorts. That may be me, I wear shorts & tee down to about 40deg or colder. Have played Hockey outside during a 17-degree night, BEFORE wind chill, in jeans & tee, and was HOT.
As I said before, I really like wearing a kilt, in part because I am about 10% Scottish. So, I will probably wear one next trip, just need to work out the details. And, it’s nice to have a heads up about any problems, and what others have experienced, so thanks all, keep it coming.

Hammock Hanger
11-13-2003, 16:11
There is a great product called "Body Glide" sold at REI and the outfitter in Waynesboro, VA. Comes in a small travel size or regular. Works great!!! I only seem to get it once at the begining of every hike, tried all the remedies, nada! This stuff worked. HH

Doctari
11-14-2003, 11:25
Ok, I just checked out the Mt hard wear kilt, I have a question or 3:
The "womens skirt" looks Identical, but has 2 color choices, whas up wi dat?
What is the weight?
What is Mt wear cloth? (ie: weight, can I dye it? etc. web site kind of vague)
Any pics avalable?

Anyway, it looks good, and the price is nice.

Hammock Hanger
11-14-2003, 11:45
The difference between the uni-kilt and the girls kilt is that the girls skirt is a hair shorter and the waist is a hair smaller. I believe there is one extra button the girls... not sure.

The fabric is kind of like the weight of a pair of khakisbut of a polyester blend not cotton. Very durable but a little over kill I think. It is a great kilt just way over priced. That is why I copied the pattern and made my own. 1 1/2 of material, two clips and some velcro.

I use a very lightwt fabric, the kind used on adventure sun shirts. Held up fine for me. Well except for the 50 miles of butt slides on the LT. I doubt shorts would have held up either.

Sue/HH

Hammock Hanger
11-14-2003, 11:49
No Moose ...I hadn't forgotten. My God ...how could I ever forget that day on Charlies Bunion. I think I was trying to forget it.

Yes, a kilt (sans underwear) does tend to expose one to the sudden gusts of wind and can give all new meaning to the word "shrinkage" !!

:jump :jump :jump [B] I just read this entry... ROTFLMAO!!!! :jump :jump

Sue/HH

Trail Yeti
11-14-2003, 19:05
Doctari,
not sure of the weight of the mtn hardwear. There should be a picture of me in my kilt in Duncannon....check the photo archives. Also, I don't think you could dye it. I actually drew on mine with a sharpie and even it didn't stay on there permanently....

MadAussieInLondon
11-15-2003, 18:25
the MH kilt is really a skirt. it has no pleats in it for movement etc.

http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/081701a.jpg

Doctari
11-15-2003, 21:47
Thanks for the pic Yeti, Looks like a skirt me thinks.
Ah, yes, mad Aussie, concurs.
Looks like Im a gonna make my own, am heading to the fabric store to see if they have some light weight fabric that I like. I need to make a new rennie costume anyway, so need to hit there anyway.

I think, at least for now, that I will be hiking in a kilt from now on. I think I can do the pockets like on a utilikilt, but a little different (hidden) :-) and I have a UL fanny pack that can double as a hikers sporran.

I HAVE A PLAN :clap

Thanks all, you helped me make a decision. Btw, I have one of my kilts on now, just because I can.

Doctari.

Mushroom 96
11-16-2003, 00:49
When i thru hiked in 96, some of my friends wore skirts they picked up somewhere. THey claimed it was more comfortable and allowed more air movement in hot weather. I had the best luck with Umbro soccer shorts but I don't even know if they make them anymore. I would personally try wearing a kilt as long as it wasn't made from a natural fiber. Remember you need it to dry quickly when your hiking.

Needles
12-19-2003, 02:48
I’m not sure exactly what the utili kilt is made of the only thing I can find is that the denim one is 100% cotton, so that is totally out for hiking.

Hi Doctari,
A few months ago I started working for Utilikilts maintaining their web site so I think I can help you out on this.
The materials in the different models breaks down like so;
The Workman's - 100% cotton duc-cloth (canvas)
Mocker - poly/cotton blend
Original - poly/cotton blend with the exception of the camo kilts which are 100% cotton ripstop
Denim - as you said, 100% cotton
Leather - yep, you guessed it, leather.
Last July I was on the trail on a hike from Deep Gap, NC to Clingmans Dome (until I blew out my knee coming down into NOC) and both my hiking buddy and myself were wearing Original, poly/cotton, (I think it is 65% poly/ 35% cotton, but I am just the web guy so I may not be right on this) Utilikilts. They worked great.
As far as the chaffing questions, the most important thing about a kilt and chaffing is that you don't tend to stay as covered in sweat "down there" when wearing a kilt, the extra dryness is what tends to really help prevent chaffing. Now if it is raining and 90 degrees every day for a week I don't think anything is going to get you to dry out, but under most conditions I find I don't have the same moisture management problems with a kilt that I sometimes do with shorts. Also you can order a Utilikilt in a variety of lengths which means you can get a bit more coverage out of them if you so desire, and a bit of extra length in your kilt should prevent most wind problems.
If you have any other questions feel free to email me.
George (aka Needles)