PDA

View Full Version : How to pronounce Katahdin

LSanford
09-29-2007, 22:39
I plan on thru-hiking someday and have wondered for a while how to pronounce Katahdin? I have never heard anyone actually say it. Is it like (cat-A-dean) or ( cot-ah-den)? Thanks

TJ aka Teej
09-29-2007, 22:46
I plan on thru-hiking someday and have wondered for a while how to pronounce Katahdin? I have never heard anyone actually say it. Is it like (cat-A-dean) or ( cot-ah-den)? Thanks

Kah tahh d'n

The Old Fhart
09-29-2007, 22:51
Try Ka (like car with a new england accent), tah (like tar in tardy), din, that's close. Don't worry, there are plenty of spots along the way we've all pronounced wrong the first time.:o

jurahd
09-29-2007, 23:02
Thoreau spelt it the way its pronounced kataadn

Lone Wolf
09-29-2007, 23:43
Thoreau spelt it the way its pronounced kataadn

henry david pussed out. he was a scam anyway. his book(s) suck

Appalachian Tater
09-30-2007, 02:22

L. Wolf, I am aggravated with Thoreau as well, extremely disappointed that "Walden" didn't happen as it as written, a true "journal" of events, but was a fictionalization and condensation of his experiences over several years.

If someone reads this and didn't know it before, I'm sorry to be the one to break the news.

Roland
09-30-2007, 05:19
The onliine Webster (http://www.webster.com/dictionary/katahdin) dictionary provides audio pronunciations.

Click the red speaker icon.
(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggkata01.wav=Katahdin,+Mount%27%29)

rickb
09-30-2007, 06:51

Ghandi liked them.

Weary, too.

woodsy
09-30-2007, 07:12
KA-ta-din , like TOF said.

The natives called the mountain Pamola

Roland
09-30-2007, 07:18
KA-ta-din , like TOF said.

The natives called the mountain Pamola

Actually, the accent is on the second syllable.

woodsy
09-30-2007, 08:43
Actually, the accent is on the second syllable.

Not where i'm from:)

I'd like to hear how someone from the south pronounces it:D

SGT Rock
09-30-2007, 08:45
I pronounce it Katahdin.

woodsy
09-30-2007, 08:52
I pronounce it Katahdin.

Excellent! Can we get the audio on that?:D

SGT Rock
09-30-2007, 08:54
You ready?

Push record...

"Katahdin"

There you go.

Skyline
09-30-2007, 09:00
Ka-TAH-den.

And it's Apple-LATCH-un. not Apple-LAY-chee-ann.

:banana

woodsy
09-30-2007, 09:08
You ready?

Push record...

"Katahdin"

There you go.

It came through sounding like Karrr-tarrr-doon:D

budforester
09-30-2007, 09:12
The onliine Webster (http://www.webster.com/dictionary/katahdin) dictionary provides audio pronunciations.

(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggkata01.wav=Katahdin,+Mount%27%29)
I LIKE that; had to bookmark it. Thanks for the link, Roland.

SGT Rock
09-30-2007, 09:16
It came through sounding like Karrr-tarrr-doon:D
I'm fighting a cold.

katagious
09-30-2007, 10:04

and I bet your southern friends spend lots of time trying to find that town called 'gusta your always going on about.....:D ;) :banana

rafe
09-30-2007, 10:08
and I bet your southern friends spend lots of time trying to find that town called 'gusta your always going on about.....:D ;) :banana

Thank you. I've been sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how Woodsy would pronounce it... and getting nowhere until this post. D'oh.

SGT Rock
09-30-2007, 10:22

I'd like to hear how someone from the south pronounces it:D
I called my friend Karl Childers over at the nervous hospital in Arkansas.

"There were these two fellers climbin up dis mountain, both of 'em had a big ol' load of warsh on their backs. When they gots to the top they both gots to go to the bafroom. One of 'em says the mountain's a cold; the other says the mountain's high. I belive one of them fellers was from Arkansas - he called it Kat-A-din.

Geetit?"

mudhead
09-30-2007, 11:50
I LIKE that; had to bookmark it. Thanks for the link, Roland.

same

mercy buckets.

freefall
09-30-2007, 12:34
L. Wolf, I am aggravated with Thoreau as well, extremely disappointed that "Walden" didn't happen as it as written, a true "journal" of events, but was a fictionalization and condensation of his experiences over several years.

If someone reads this and didn't know it before, I'm sorry to be the one to break the news.

But Thoreau never said any of his writings were "true and actual" events. The fact that he spent much of his time revising and published many revisions should have been a clue that maybe things weren't as written.

freefall
09-30-2007, 12:43
But Thoreau never said any of his writings were "true and actual" events. The fact that he spent much of his time revising and published many revisions should have been a clue that maybe things weren't as written.
(Guess I need to renew to get the edit button back)
Look at online hiker's journals for example. If they were to be published in a book, most would lose much of their content. No one wants to read "I hiked up the mountain. I hiked down the mountain" over and over again.

And on the subject- I have always heard it pronounced K'-TOD-in.

Obsidian
09-30-2007, 12:52
Ka-TAH-den.

And it's Apple-LATCH-un. not Apple-LAY-chee-ann.

:banana

Being originally from Appalachia, I still have to sit and think it over in my mind how to properly pronounce that word.

SGT Rock
09-30-2007, 13:01
Apple at ya.

Nest
09-30-2007, 19:52

You know if you have two computers (like I do) you can look up the word "hello" and "stud". Open the audio pronunciation of one on each computer, and hit play again one after another. If you close your eyes it sounds like a pretty woman in the room with you saying "Hello stud." Thanks for the link.

mudhead
10-01-2007, 05:53
I felt really old after reading that.

Chair-man
04-03-2013, 15:17

I was out doing a 5 mile loop trail today in central FL and I ran into a couple from Maine who have lived near Mt Katahdin their whole lives so I had to ask "how do you pronounce Katahdin?".
They said it like most of the posts on this thread with 3 syllables.

Ka-tahh-din. All of the vowels are short.

Rasty
04-03-2013, 15:32

I was out doing a 5 mile loop trail today in central FL and I ran into a couple from Maine who have lived near Mt Katahdin their whole lives so I had to ask "how do you pronounce Katahdin?".
They said it like most of the posts on this thread with 3 syllables.

Ka-tahh-din. All of the vowels are short.

Pronounced the same way as the variety of potatoes.

JAK
04-03-2013, 19:01
We pronounce it Ka'-tah-din-eh'.

Capt Nat
04-03-2013, 19:18
pronounce it! I'm still trying to learn how to spell it!

wren again
04-03-2013, 19:22
When in Franklin NC, we were treated to a drive through the "Cullasaja Gorge". Anyone have a bead on that one?
(Yes, I know how to say, "Gorge".)

wren again
04-03-2013, 19:24
We pronounce it Ka'-tah-din-eh'.

My 8th grade students put "eh" on the end of everything when they are frustrated.
"I-eh Don't-eh Know-eh!!!"

Sclark9082
04-03-2013, 21:18
...I just point to the map, and say...that's where I'm headed.

peakbagger
04-04-2013, 07:34
Katahdin is easy, how about these nearby spots

Nesowadnehunk
Sysladobsis
Oquossoc

An of course why would someone name a town T3R4WELS?

mrcoffeect
04-04-2013, 08:03
An of course why would someone name a town T3R4WELS?
Some say that it means town 3 range 4 west of the easterly line of the state, I have also heard it is penobscot indian for " ya cant get there from here".:)

rocketsocks
04-04-2013, 08:07
I plan on thru-hiking someday and have wondered for a while how to pronounce Katahdin? I have never heard anyone actually say it. Is it like (cat-A-dean) or ( cot-ah-den)? ThanksThe Big K :D

Capt Nat
04-04-2013, 08:24
Leave it to Mr. One Sock to come up with the solution that will work for everyone...

BirdBrain
04-04-2013, 09:36
Kah-tah-din. Bearly pronounce the d. The i is somewhere halfway between an e and an i. The syllables flow with no pauses with a slight accent on 2nd one.
Being from Maine I know how to say it. Also being from Maine I am confused by the spelling. It should be Cartarden.

Odd Man Out
04-04-2013, 14:18
So then how do you pronounce Katadyn?

JAK
04-05-2013, 04:29
So then how do you pronounce Katadyn? Easy. Ka' Ta' Dine'.
But that is now obsolete. It was a unit of measure in a failed attempt to metricify the AT by some Canadians in the 1970s. It was supposed to make calculations of calories and distance alot easier. Personally I liked it, but I've only manged to hike a few MikraDyns of the AT so far myself.

Another Kevin
04-05-2013, 16:13
Thoreau spelt it Ktaadn. That's close enough to the pronunciation for me. A down-easter will not be able to resist putting some R's in there, because the R's move in New England. The R that falls off the end of caaaah (what you drive) ends up on the end of idear.

S'more
04-05-2013, 16:41
Kah-tah-din. Bearly pronounce the d. The i is somewhere halfway between an e and an i. The syllables flow with no pauses with a slight accent on 2nd one.
Being from Maine I know how to say it. Also being from Maine I am confused by the spelling. It should be Cartarden.

Exactly. Because we don't really have the letter "r" in pronunciation, unless it's after... oh never mind, it's too complicated to explain.

S'more
04-05-2013, 16:42
Thoreau spelt it Ktaadn. That's close enough to the pronunciation for me. A down-easter will not be able to resist putting some R's in there, because the R's move in New England. The R that falls off the end of caaaah (what you drive) ends up on the end of idear.

Yeah that's kinder what i was trying to say ^