PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Hikers....

MikeG
09-30-2007, 11:00
ive been stuck in school for the past couple months and havent had the chance to go hiking; im really starting to go stir crazy haha. anyways im sitting here thinking about where i want to go when i get back for winter break this december. what do you georgia guys (or anyone who's hiked this area) think the best/most beautiful/ most fun section of the AT in georgia is?

Marta
09-30-2007, 11:02
Why choose? You can do the whole thing in 4 or 5 days.

MikeG
09-30-2007, 11:16
if i had time to do the whole thing, i wouldnt have asked what was everyones favorite section.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 11:17
I've hiked Georgia for about forty years and my personal favorite section is the one from Springer Mtn. to Bly Gap. Almost eighty miles of amazing beauty, easy to strenuous trail, breathtaking vistas and unimaginable peace and quiet.

In December you know you should be prepared for anything from the mid eighties and brilliant sun to zero and below with rain, sleet, ice and/or snow.

You can do the whole thing or pick any of the public road crossings as a bail out point. You won't miss a thing if you do.

Remember that GA 348 is usually closed in winter months, so don't count on a bail between Neel's Gap and Unicoi Gap.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 11:21
MikeG, since I can't edit let me add this. I figured you couldn't or didn't care to do the entire thing, I just wanted you to know that from my experience you can't go wrong with any section you decide to do.

At any rate, have a ball!

MikeG
09-30-2007, 11:56
yea i've been rearranging all my equipment for the winter, im getting really excited haha. im going to be working alot this winter thats why i really dont have time for anything more than 2 days at a time.

Frosty
09-30-2007, 12:35
if i had time to do the whole thing, i wouldnt have asked what was everyones favorite section.You're too young to be this cranky. You have to live many years before it is socially acceptable to snap back at a thruhiker who was trying to be of service to you.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 13:44
An easy and really striking two dayer would be from Woody Gap (GA-60) to Neel's Gap (US-19/129). That takes you over Blood Mountain, the hiest point on the AT in Georgia. Dangerous in icy conditions but knock down gorgeous views, and just 10 miles. Maybe too short in good weather but a bout right in bad weather.

If you are a fast walker and got good weather Neel's Gap to Unicoi Gap is a nice hike. IMO a bit more difficult than Woody/Neel's, but then I ain't 19 anymore.

Either of those hikes are road crossing to road crossing but I'd think about a shuttle or a drop off and pick up instead of parking on the roadside. I've never been hit, but many have.

Blissful
09-30-2007, 15:23
Blood Mountain was beautiful - we hiked it north to south.

MikeG
09-30-2007, 16:35
You're too young to be this cranky. You have to live many years before it is socially acceptable to snap back at a thruhiker who was trying to be of service to you.

yes and you have no clue who i am, or the tone in which i wrote that. but thanks for the advice.

Marta
09-30-2007, 17:10
yes and you have no clue who i am, or the tone in which i wrote that. but thanks for the advice.

You'll have to forgive us for not being able to read your mind.

In your first post you state that you want to hike during your vacation from school, then get rather snarky that I didn't figure out that that meant you are looking for a two-day hike.

Whatever. Georgia is all good.

However, North Carolina is better.:D

L Tee
09-30-2007, 17:38
Mike G, what high school did you go to? I went to milton

MikeG
09-30-2007, 22:17
i went to chattahoochee, graduated in '06. looks like we are rivals haha.

hacksaw
09-30-2007, 22:22
Hey MikeG, you know Matt Rogers? He is a couple of years older, but same school.

Personally I graduated from Forsyth County 'way back when there was only one high school, so I guess we're rivals too.

MikeG
10-01-2007, 07:31
im pretty sure i've heard of him, just cant get a face right now. belive it or not forsyth is getting ready to build another high school i think its up to four now.

L Tee
10-01-2007, 07:39
ha looks like it. i was 01' back when our sports were pretty good and our school wasnt brand new and worth 239482309482 million dollars.

MikeG
10-01-2007, 08:46
haha yea if you think it was bad back then, I was in town this weekend and it was chattahoochee's homecoming.....I swear it looked like a college game. I cant belive the amount of money that athledic department gets.

Newb
10-01-2007, 11:33
I love the climb up the back of Blue Mtn. from Low Gap

bigmac_in
10-01-2007, 12:47
I'd recommend Neel's Gap to Unicoi Gap. Some really nice campsites along this part of the trail and some nice hiking.

hacksaw
10-01-2007, 12:56
im pretty sure i've heard of him, just cant get a face right now. belive it or not forsyth is getting ready to build another high school i think its up to four now.

Matt is at UGA now, he's the eldest son of a very close friend.

You're right, that school (West Forsyth) is set to open soon, possibly after Christmas Break.

That is the neighborhood where I grew up. Absolutly nothing is the same as when I was young. I think we got half the state of Michigan living in Forsyth County now. Not enough room to swing a cat anymore, that's why I moved to the mountains.

MikeG
10-01-2007, 13:13
haha very true. i see your up in big canoe, my good friends grandparents used to have a place there that is a beautiful area. i love the golf course.

whitefoot_hp
10-03-2007, 11:06
MikeG, any section involving blood mountain is great. the trail is beautiful north and south from there. I would reccomend going from Dicks Creek Gap to Blood mountain or even woody gap. should be something like thirty miles.

MikeG
10-03-2007, 17:02
blood mountain is a very beautiful area. im stuck between that and just doing hogpen to unicoi. also it took me a little longer than 4 to 5 days to do georgia. i was rolling up on 8 when i hit north carolina. you must have been hauling ass.

hacksaw
10-03-2007, 17:35
blood mountain is a very beautiful area. im stuck between that and just doing hogpen to unicoi. also it took me a little longer than 4 to 5 days to do georgia. i was rolling up on 8 when i hit north carolina. you must have been hauling ass.

MikeG, if we got any bad weather don't count on access at Hogpen Gap. The GDOT closes GA 348 in the winter a good bit.

MikeG
10-03-2007, 17:51
yea thats true. i guess i'll just play it by ear and see whats available.

hacksaw
10-03-2007, 17:52
Sounds like a plan.