PDA

View Full Version : too many tents!!!

Roots
09-30-2007, 12:02
I have a pondering thought at bay! We need a new light weight, 3 season, 2 person tent. We have a REI half dome that we LOVE, but it is getting old and in need of retirement. We are trying to decide which way to go. We really like the light weight idea and are looking at several. We've come up with MSR hubba hubba, Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, Big agnes emerald Mountain SL2, or go back to 'old trusty' and get another REI. Any suggestions on these tents or others you like/love would be greatly appreciated! THANX!!:rolleyes:

rafe
09-30-2007, 12:08
The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight is a very nice, time-tested design. It was popular among through-hiking couples even in the early 1990s.

Any tent from Big Agnes is probably a safe bet too. If you want really light and can live with a single wall design, check out the Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Cuffs
09-30-2007, 13:55
this list is "sort-able" by clicking the headings, and the 3 seasons are 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.backpacking.net/geartent-chart.html

troglobil
09-30-2007, 13:57
I really like my Hubba Hubba. One thing I noticed on my REI Taj 3 (used for truck camping) is that the fly seems to wet out easily. The Hubba Hubba doesn't, so it dries faster after a good rain. But I like em both.

Roots
09-30-2007, 17:19
The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight is a very nice, time-tested design. It was popular among through-hiking couples even in the early 1990s.

Any tent from Big Agnes is probably a safe bet too. If you want really light and can live with a single wall design, check out the Tarptent Double Rainbow.

I really like the tarptent lightweight qualities but I'm not sure about the single wall 'deal'. I worry about condensation and spray in downpours. I'll definitely check into the Sierra. We have a Sierra tent we use for car and canoe camping and love it. Thanx a lot!:D

Roots
09-30-2007, 17:36
this list is "sort-able" by clicking the headings, and the 3 seasons are 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.backpacking.net/geartent-chart.html

Thanx for the info!!:o

Tin Man
09-30-2007, 20:07
I really like the tarptent lightweight qualities but I'm not sure about the single wall 'deal'. I worry about condensation and spray in downpours. I'll definitely check into the Sierra. We have a Sierra tent we use for car and canoe camping and love it. Thanx a lot!:D

We have a SD Clip Flashlight and it has worked well for us over the past 6 years. It is light and packs small. This year we decided to upgrade to a tent with two doors/vestibules, is free-standing (and therefore should work better on tent platforms often found in VT and NH) and one that we could sit up in, so we actually went a little heavier with the SD Electron. While I have overnighted in it, it will get its first real test next week in the White Mtns!

DipDog
10-02-2007, 15:45
I split my Kelty Gunnison's weight between my son and I. It has been a great tent. 2 doors and 2 good size vestibules. Worked very well in 3 day down pour on a recent trip.

dessertrat
10-02-2007, 15:55
I love the North Face Tadpole. Almost like the SD Clip Flashlight, it is what you would call a "time tested" design. Free standing, not very heavy, will fit two people who like each other, bath tub floor, etc.

Tin Man
10-02-2007, 21:56
I split my Kelty Gunnison's weight between my son and I. It has been a great tent. 2 doors and 2 good size vestibules. Worked very well in 3 day down pour on a recent trip.

Nice tent. It was on my final list when I went with the Electron. I just decided to stay with SD because of previous good experiences with them. Good to hear it works well in a down pour and sad to hear you needed it to, if you know what I mean.

Appalachian Tater
10-02-2007, 23:06
Really, if you love your present tent and have no complaints, you should probably replace it with a newer version of the same model. Why mess with perfection? I would probably even keep the old one as long as possible.

rafe
10-02-2007, 23:32
Really, if you love your present tent and have no complaints, you should probably replace it with a newer version of the same model. Why mess with perfection? I would probably even keep the old one as long as possible.

You have a point. But I have a hard time saying "no" to nice hiking gear. :D

saimyoji
10-03-2007, 07:59

Yes, I'm facing the same problem. To further compound it, tents are easily 50% lighter nowadays from when I bought my Timberlite.

Roots
10-03-2007, 09:22
Yes, I'm facing the same problem. To further compound it, tents are easily 50% lighter nowadays from when I bought my Timberlite.

You guys have some great ideas! I have to admit that I, too, am becoming a 'gear head'. They make it so easy to fall prey to the gear world, especially with all the great new ultra light. I am beginning to think that Appalachian tater is on to something. Since we can't make up our mind, we might as well stick with what we know-REI half dome. This is definitely a great tent, and has been there for us. I still like the new tent suggestions, though. Keep 'em coming! Thanx!:)

Appalachian Tater
10-03-2007, 10:30
Don't mess with perfection but if there are new tents half the weight as saimyoji says then that would be like foregoing television and the internet because you enjoy radio. (Well, sortof.)

saimyoji
10-03-2007, 12:18
Don't mess with perfection but if there are new tents half the weight as saimyoji says then that would be like foregoing television and the internet because you enjoy radio. (Well, sortof.)

My timberlite weighs over 5lbs, my pack, bag and pad combined don't weight that much. I feel obligated to go lighter. Not looking for a new tent because I want to go lighter, looking at lighter tents because, well I need a new tent.

Roots
10-03-2007, 14:43
It actually works out pretty good with weight on our REI because my husband and I split the weight, but any time I can look at less weight for us to carry its a plus. Our current tent weighs about 5lb (give or take) and split it isn't bad. Of course a good reliable tent with a less weight, packed, is even better. I guess I'm just wanting to get other opinion before investing:)!

Shane! Come Back!
10-03-2007, 15:04
Sierra Designs Clip.

scope
10-03-2007, 15:12
SD Lightning at 4 lbs+; was on sale recently at REI, but they're on sale somewhere else for less than $200.

Cosmo Rules
10-03-2007, 15:59
I gotta SD Electron with a 2 tone rain fly (blue and light blue).
I like the tent, but the light blue panels on the fly don't dry.
I hate packing a wet fly in my backpack, but I can't wait all day for the fly to dry.

floyd242
10-03-2007, 16:13
I have the newer version of the halfdome and love it. It's the tent I leave in my car though. I backpack with the seedhouse sl1 and I love that one also. Having both, the only thing I would caution you against the seedhouse is the front entry. For 1 person it's not too bad, however for 2 it might be kind of annoying. Having the 2 side entrances on the halfdome is so nice for 2 people.

Toolshed
10-03-2007, 18:00

Hmmm My 91 timberlite was 4Lbs 8 Oz, not including stakes. My new (5 years old now) Silnylon Clip Flashlight is 3lbs 4 Oz..... Not quite half, but the single walls sure are...:)

Roots
10-04-2007, 16:10
I have the newer version of the halfdome and love it. It's the tent I leave in my car though. I backpack with the seedhouse sl1 and I love that one also. Having both, the only thing I would caution you against the seedhouse is the front entry. For 1 person it's not too bad, however for 2 it might be kind of annoying. Having the 2 side entrances on the halfdome is so nice for 2 people.

I've seen the new updated half dome and really like it. I'm going to start looking more into it . Thanx for the advice on the seedhouse.:sun