PDA

View Full Version : Pathtags...Anyone have or seen these? Opinions

HUNTHIKELIFT
09-30-2007, 15:49
Anyone have or seen these before left on the trail?
http://track.pathtags.com/index.php

gold bond
10-01-2007, 15:20
I think that it is pretty cool but I can see where some of the hikers may have a hesitation, campsite/shelter clutter, LNT , etc.
My son geocaches and loves recieving and leaving trinkets. I would give it a try. I like the idea!

HUNTHIKELIFT
10-01-2007, 17:34
I can see where some of the hikers may have a hesitation, campsite/shelter clutter, LNT , etc.

Yeah I agree, after I posted this thread I gave myself a big DUH...lol. It would be neat to see others tags and such, but I think it would turn bad.
Oh well... :)

The Old Fhart
10-01-2007, 18:27
GADGETEER- “Anyone have or seen these before left on the trail?”
Some of the Pathtags apparently are showing up in Geocaches so the NPS and other overseers of the A.T. would probably view Pathtags in exactly the same way they view geocaches. Any area owned by the NPS forbids geocaches so I don’t think leaving Pathtags would be a good idea. Shelter maintainers and trail maintainers probably would see them as flotsam and jetsam. These are also fairly new and I doubt that there are many of them out there. I also can’t see them catching on with thru hikers. I personally haven’t seen any of them in the many geocaches I’ve found.

I guess you came to the same conclusion as well. :)

shelterbuilder
10-01-2007, 19:26
Some of the Pathtags apparently are showing up in Geocaches so the NPS and other overseers of the A.T. would probably view Pathtags in exactly the same way they view geocaches. Any area owned by the NPS forbids geocaches so I don’t think leaving Pathtags would be a good idea. Shelter maintainers and trail maintainers probably would see them as flotsam and jetsam. These are also fairly new and I doubt that there are many of them out there. I also can’t see them catching on with thru hikers. I personally haven’t seen any of them in the many geocaches I’ve found.
I guess you came to the same conclusion as well. :)

Back in the 60's and 70's, some thru-hikers left cards at various locations - they ranged in size from business cards to 3 x 5 index-sized cards - printed with their name, a space for the date, and a blurb regarding the fact that they were hiking the Appalachian Trail. I guess that this could be the updated version....

HUNTHIKELIFT
10-01-2007, 19:48
Back in the 60's and 70's, some thru-hikers left cards at various locations - they ranged in size from business cards to 3 x 5 index-sized cards - printed with their name, a space for the date, and a blurb regarding the fact that they were hiking the Appalachian Trail. I guess that this could be the updated version....

Thats what I was wondering if these tags were catching on like that.

shelterbuilder
10-01-2007, 20:12
Thats what I was wondering if these tags were catching on like that.

GOD, I hope not!:eek: Folks leave enough stuff at shelters now!

HUNTHIKELIFT
10-01-2007, 20:19
GOD, I hope not!:eek: Folks leave enough stuff at shelters now!

That is soo true.

frieden
10-01-2007, 20:26
Yep, that's what we need in the wilderness - more trash! This is very irresponsible.