PDA

View Full Version : Macedonia Brook State Park, Kent, CT

Tin Man
09-30-2007, 20:23
Anyone remember when the AT went though Macedonia Brook State Park in Kent, CT? I was just up there for an overnighter with one of my boys, his friend and father. This morning we hiked the part of the old AT that went over Cobble Mtn with great westerly views of the Taconics and Catskills. There are many trails in this state park and they are well maintained. If you are in the area, I recommend checking it out. We stopped by Bulls Bridge, a one-lane covered bridge, and wandered around there a bit - another must stop when passing through.

Deb
09-30-2007, 21:12
I enjoyed staying at Macedonia Brook State Park two years ago. The park doesn't bow to the RV, emphasizing a more basic camping experience.

I hiked the southern portion of the old AT over Cobble Mountain. I remember there was one cliff with no obvious way down.

Early AT journals (1950s-60s) repeatedly mention a really difficult downhill section (northbound) in the area of Thayer Brook down to Kent. Does anyone know where that was?

Tin Man
09-30-2007, 21:25
I think you might be referring to a very steep section that is mostly large slabs of rock that I hike many years ago and I drove by today. Follow RT341 west of Kent and turn left just past the Kent School on Schaghticoke Rd; it is not far down the road on the right.

Deb
09-30-2007, 21:43
Thanks, Tinman.
Two questions: If the old AT (northbound) came out near the Kent School, doesn't it seem like a LONG detour west through Macedonia Brook State Park?

And the blue-blaze/current high water route north of the Kent School - How does that figure in the old route?

Tin Man
09-30-2007, 21:59
Deb, Good questions. I don't recall the exact details and I never hiked the old AT section between Macedonia and the Schaghticoke Rd section. I do know the AT had to be moved west, off Schaghticoke American Indian Tribal land. Perhaps there was more road walking in the area or the trail headed west through the fields on the north side of 341 before going throuh Macedonia?

oruoja
10-01-2007, 03:18
I went through there on the AT in '79 and do remember steep ledges getting back down toward the river as well as the old CCC shelter which at the time was not even fit to wait out a rainstorm in. I also remember not even seeing anybody on the trail through the park.